What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Chase Claypool, MIA (2 Viewers)

Claypool can be a weapon at WR for sure. If he is used tbe right way. He doesn't have that quick twitch speed but straight inline speed. His size and strength along with that will make him am automatic target in the red zone. His speed and size can threaten defenses for the rest of the field. I would love for him to fall to the third round and my Raiders take him as the second WR of the draft for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steelers signed second-round WR Chase Claypool to a four-year contract.

A three-year starter for The Fighting Irish, Claypool (6’4/238) played nearly every position en route to finishing top-10 in school history with 19 touchdown receptions. Unpolished at the position due to his start in basketball, Claypool didn't turn heads until posting career-highs in receptions (66), yards (1,037), and touchdowns (13) on a 28 percent target share as a senior, further flying up draft boards with a sterling showing of elite speed (99th-percentile 4.42 forty) and hops (40.5-inch vertical) at Indy's Combine. On tape, he was a difficult tackle on underneath targets — PFF charted him with 27 broken tackles on 151 career catches — and buoyed his elite body control and size into 16 catches 20-plus yards downfield in 2019. Claypool will provide a mismatch on offense at the next level. Few prospects among this year's class sniff his upside.

Jul 24, 2020, 12:19 PM ET

Next year is the year to go after him if you believe in him.  He will be a lot cheaper because I don’t expect him to do much this year.

Next year is the year to go after him if you believe in him.  He will be a lot cheaper because I don’t expect him to do much this year.
He's worth a late 2nd, early 3rd. I dislike this type of thinking because even IF he does nothing, the person that drafted him isn't going to sell for some random 3-4th. Flawed logic, IMO. 

He's worth a late 2nd, early 3rd. I dislike this type of thinking because even IF he does nothing, the person that drafted him isn't going to sell for some random 3-4th. Flawed logic, IMO. 
IDK JJ Arcega Whiteside owners drafted him early 2nd or even late 1st last year and now they seem to be selling for any 2nd and even early to mid 3rds

On his board someone got him for a random 4th in 2022

Parris Campbell owners likely spent a late 1st and now he is going at a late 2nd/early 3rd despite not even looking bad--just repeatedly hurt

If you have a true believer in the player draft him--then yes: it will be tough to buy on the dip, but otherwise very possible

This could be true, but it they let Juju walk, he'll likely be more expensive next off-season even if he does very little.

Owners are inpatient by nature and if he doesn't do anything in 2020, he can be had cheap next year (not that he was expensive this year).  One caveat is whether Ju-Ju is on the team this time next year.

He might be cheaper in the sense that if he doesn't do anything he could be waiver wire fodder. I have him in a couple spots that it will be hard to hold through the entire seaaon.

No matter how you slice it they should have taken Dobbins.  First, there is no comparing the talent, 2nd, they need better RBs more than WRs,  third, not that Conner is anything special because he can't stay on the field, but he's gone after this season IMO.
So is JuJu and WR>RB. 

Completely agree. Easy to say go get him next offseason but that is highly league/owner dependant. People say this about young TEs all the time too and it’s largely bad advice. Worked with JJAW maybe because he’s not very good.

With Claypool, why not go after him where he’s going? He’s insanely cheap given his profile and I doubt he’s going to get cheaper. IMO he has the most upside if anyone in the range he’s being drafted. 

Completely agree. Easy to say go get him next offseason but that is highly league/owner dependant. People say this about young TEs all the time too and it’s largely bad advice. Worked with JJAW maybe because he’s not very good.

With Claypool, why not go after him where he’s going? He’s insanely cheap given his profile and I doubt he’s going to get cheaper. IMO he has the most upside if anyone in the range he’s being drafted. 
If JuJu leaves next season Claypool will be more expensive than now even if he does close to nothing this year. The latter being rather unlikely as well.

IDK JJ Arcega Whiteside owners drafted him early 2nd or even late 1st last year and now they seem to be selling for any 2nd and even early to mid 3rds

On his board someone got him for a random 4th in 2022

Parris Campbell owners likely spent a late 1st and now he is going at a late 2nd/early 3rd despite not even looking bad--just repeatedly hurt

If you have a true believer in the player draft him--then yes: it will be tough to buy on the dip, but otherwise very possible
I thought both of these guys were over rated by the fantasy community as prospects.

Both were pretty high NFL picks going to teams with good QB and need of WRs.

Campbells stock plummeted more because of Andrew Luck retiring than anything else imo.

I thought it was nuts that people were drafting these guys over Deebo Samuel even before Luck retired.

On that note what happens to Claypool if Ben hangs it up after this season?

Draft the player talent over the situation.

YouTube:

Steelers WR coach Ike Hilliard on JuJu Smith-Schuster, Chase Claypool, etc.

Excerpt:

[If] Chase does what we expect him to do and that’s make plays early and often, Chase is going to play a lot. He’s going to be really good, and that’s what we expect from a lot of those guys… You can’t teach 6’4, 238, 4.41 electric time. That’s just something that doesn’t fall off of a tree. You get a chance to harness that kind of talent and kind of shape it and mold it into something that can be really really special. I think that as an organization, we all kind of chomped at the bit. And he can do so much for the football team and effect the football team in a positive manner outside of playing receiver. We love that. We’re gonna love his physicality, his playmaking ability and his feet.”

Haven't we leaned not to doubt Pittsburgh when they draft a day 2 WR? 

I feel like Deja Vu again, just one year after scooping Diontae in the early 3rd round of rookie drafts... 

Haven't we leaned not to doubt Pittsburgh when they draft a day 2 WR? 

I feel like Deja Vu again, just one year after scooping Diontae in the early 3rd round of rookie drafts... 
He's buried this year with basically no training camp. 

I'm fading almost all WR this year and it's a great class. 

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly raves that second-round WR Chase Claypool continues to make "non-rookie-like" plays. 

"Practice after practice, the rookie is making non-rookie-like plays after running non-rookie-like routes and making non-rookie-like catches," were Kaboly's exact words. "Claypool just keeps showing up." An imposing physical presence, Claypool has apparently also made a habit of corralling "leaping" catches. Claypool probably won't see enough rookie targets to make a consistent re-draft impact, but especially with JuJu Smith-Schuster's Pittsburgh future uncertain, the second-rounder is someone you can be excited about in Dynasty leagues. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Aug 24, 2020, 10:15 PM ET

I like him as a prospect but he's a bit buried this year. I wouldn't draft him unless he fell into my lap but I would trade for him as a throw in week 10 when he has 25 targets. 

I like him as a prospect but he's a bit buried this year. I wouldn't draft him unless he fell into my lap but I would trade for him as a throw in week 10 when he has 25 targets. 
I believe we will be saying this about more rookies than anyone wants to admit.

Me too.  That's why I don't play redraft.  After playing dynasty for so many years I would suck at redraft now for that very reason.
Playing dynasty has made me a better redraft player, at least in part by having a better sense of where rookies will stack up than my redraft competition, who have largely not heard of many of these guys. 

So yes there is a danger I am overvaluing (some) rookies but in my experience they are undervalued by my league mates in redraft. 

barackdhouse said:
Playing dynasty has made me a better redraft player, at least in part by having a better sense of where rookies will stack up than my redraft competition, who have largely not heard of many of these guys. 

So yes there is a danger I am overvaluing (some) rookies but in my experience they are undervalued by my league mates in redraft. 
Echo, but outside of elite prospects I rarely have a shot to draft I don't typically draft rookies with year one expectations anyway. So playing dynasty enhances my awareness, but doesn't usually effect decision making.

I think my blind spot is giving up on guys if they don't develop quickly enough. 

Echo, but outside of elite prospects I rarely have a shot to draft I don't typically draft rookies with year one expectations anyway. So playing dynasty enhances my awareness, but doesn't usually effect decision making.

I think my blind spot is giving up on guys if they don't develop quickly enough. 
Yeah I should be more specific. I will target rookie RBs and have done very well with them. They go much cheaper than they often should in redraft. Taylor, Dobbins and Akers all seem like screaming values right now. They are costly from a redraft strategy POV, though, in the sense that to draft them that high you *are* counting on them. I usually can draft strong enough to weather an early season break-in period for a rookie back. This year who knows but I still like those guys at their ADP. I'd probably prefer Mostert, Carson or Conner in my lineup but in many spots I can draft one of that group *and* one of the rookies. 

WRs on the other hand, are different. I'm not drafting them until double digit rounds anyway, so if they hit it is just gravy. 

In my big auction redraft (a somewhat different animal) I am usually able to get one or two of the better rookie RBs for pretty darn cheap. 2017 was a banner year with Hunt and Kamara for 18 and 5 respectively, as winning bids out of a 200 budget. I think Miles Sanders went for maybe 15 last year. 

CEH and Taylor will be 30 plus but even that might be a discount (CMC and Barkley will go over 70), but I bet Dobbins and Akers go for mmmmmaybe 20. Gibson and Vaughan might go for a dollar with this group. 

I think if I were playing against other dynasty players, Hunt would have gone more like 40 his rookie year and Kamara at least 20.

JohnnyU said:
I believe we will be saying this about more rookies than anyone wants to admit.

this kid seems to have found a fantasy blind spot and it's a bit surprising to me that he's still considered a stash guy.

the buzz on this kid from camp is pretty loud. the steelers are pretty slow at wide out and claypool can flat out fly. he's also their only big receiver. considering what he's doing in camp, it almost seems inevitable that he'll be on the field a lot this year.

outside of ruggs, jefferson and raegor, i think his situation this year is just as nice if not better than the other rookie receivers.

Situation might get a whole lot better if the rumors I'm hearing are true. I get crushed in here if I post them and don't post a source so I'll just keep them to myself but regardless he's my #1 WR in this draft. I do not own him anywhere either.

Milkman said:
Situation might get a whole lot better if the rumors I'm hearing are true. I get crushed in here if I post them and don't post a source so I'll just keep them to myself but regardless he's my #1 WR in this draft. I do not own him anywhere either.
Can you give us the odds on what you think the likelihood of the rumors being true are?

25%? 50%? Other?

Users who are viewing this thread