What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Trey Sermon, Colts (2 Viewers)

The niners clearly liked Sermon enough to move up for him and he’s just a rookie but college is college and how players do accounts for a lot.  I was certainly surprised at Sermon’s healthy scratch status but they do odd things with the RBs and the roles they have for them.  

McKinnon would have a good game and Mostert goes down and so it’s going to be McKinnon the next game, right?  Well, Wilson comes in and gets 2 td’s and dominates next game.  Happened all the time and for some reason I came back for more….

So while Mitchell had a very good game Sermon could come in and take the Mostert role and have a huge game next week.  Wouldn’t shock me at all….the unpredictable nature though could lead me to try and package Sermon if he has a few good games to try and get an upgrade.

Chaka said:
Got a news update that Mostert said he is done for the season.
Yep. Heard on local radio this afternoon. He opted for surgery. :(  

It sucks. He’s a fantasy monster when he’s healthy. All 11 seconds of it. 

And of course it sucks for him, and for the 49ers. :(  

Last edited by a moderator:
VikingFrog said:
As a Sermon owner we have to go all in for Mitchell correct?
I didn’t. I’m not bidding that much on a rb in week 2 unless he’s (barring injury) going to carry the load. No one knows what shanny gonna do 

My league doesn't do FAAB.  We have a waiver order based on ranking.  Since I won week 1 and had the highest team score I was 12th of 12.  Funny how I only missed Mitchell by 8 teams ahead of me making a claim on him.  😁

I still have Sermon and no one really knows yet how this will shake out.  Hope springs eternal.

My league doesn't do FAAB.  We have a waiver order based on ranking.  Since I won week 1 and had the highest team score I was 12th of 12.  Funny how I only missed Mitchell by 8 teams ahead of me making a claim on him.  😁

I still have Sermon and no one really knows yet how this will shake out.  Hope springs eternal.
My league doesn't do FAAB either, but the initial order is based on the draft order. I'm #1 priority of 16 teams, so I may have to wait the entire season to be #1 again. I have until midnight, but not expecting any more clarity for possibly a few weeks. RBBC is most likely.

I could definitely see some panic drops of Sermon happening.

Nope. But I heard of people dropping him.

I could definitely see some panic drops of Sermon happening.
Ah, strange.  I mean he was only announced as a surprise inactive 1.5 hours before kickoff on Sunday, and you can't drop players once their game has started.  So the only way he was dropped is if an owner saw the news Sunday morning and dropped him for some other random last minute player?  I guess it's possible.

Mitchell's style better fits the Shanahan scheme, for now. Can Sermon go from a Leveon style to a Mostert style?

My guess since they reportedly were runnerup(for way less money) to sign Bell when he left the Steelers and they fully knew what Sermon was when they drafted him they have no interest in him changing his style.

Ah, strange.  I mean he was only announced as a surprise inactive 1.5 hours before kickoff on Sunday, and you can't drop players once their game has started.  So the only way he was dropped is if an owner saw the news Sunday morning and dropped him for some other random last minute player?  I guess it's possible.
It would definitely be a panic move to drop him after one week.  I could see people needing to add a last minute drop on Sunday for, say, Mitchell.

I could also see people simply freak out and jump off the Shanahagins train entirely.  I mean, Sermon went from a possible flex starter to a situation where you now have to wait at least another week to see if he has any value at all, and probably several more before having any confidence in putting him into your lineup.

All that being said, I (re)drafted him and am going to hold for a good long while.

Mitchell's style better fits the Shanahan scheme, for now. Can Sermon go from a Leveon style to a Mostert style?

https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/1437879550638112771?s=19
The tweet really had nothing to do with Sermon's running style. It seems a bit presumptive to suggest that Shanahan and Lynch weren't completely aware of Sermon's running style before investing pick 3:24 in him.

My guess since they reportedly were runnerup(for way less money) to sign Bell when he left the Steelers and they fully knew what Sermon was when they drafted him they have no interest in him changing his style.
Agreed.

It would definitely be a panic move to drop him after one week.
But we haven't had a week yet.  After week 1, it's not possible anyone has dropped him YET (they could drop him today when waivers go through I suppose).  If he was rostered at kickoff of the SF game, then he's rostered now and not available to be picked up.

I think the pursuit of Bell was to make sure they had a good 3rd down blocking and receiving back. Wilson has had too many drops, and the 2 rookies are untested as receivers, even thought they could be good.

But we haven't had a week yet.  After week 1, it's not possible anyone has dropped him YET (they could drop him today when waivers go through I suppose).  If he was rostered at kickoff of the SF game, then he's rostered now and not available to be picked up.

to be fair, in Yahoo, you can drop anyone at any time if they're on your bench. So, hypothetically someone could have dropped him Sunday after his game started to pick someone up in a later game or just drop him outright. Now, is that likely, I'd think not with where he was going in drafts, but it's possible. 

to be fair, in Yahoo, you can drop anyone at any time if they're on your bench. So, hypothetically someone could have dropped him Sunday after his game started to pick someone up in a later game or just drop him outright. Now, is that likely, I'd think not with where he was going in drafts, but it's possible. 
Ah ok, I didn't know that about Yahoo.

But ya, to drop a guy you took in the top 10 rounds before week 1 is even over seems insane to me.  I mean, especially since Mostert got hurt like 5 minutes into the game, anyone in a yahoo league would be crazy to drop him at that point. 

But ya, to drop a guy you took in the top 10 rounds before week 1 is even over seems insane to me.  I mean, especially since Mostert got hurt like 5 minutes into the game, anyone in a yahoo league would be crazy to drop him at that point. 

I 100% agree with you & I'd never do it, but the complete idiocy of some people never ceases to amaze me  :shrug:

That's why I call it a panic move.

I don't know how many people play MFL leagues but he is at 86% owned today which is a drop of 1%, so clearly there has not been a lot of movement on him but there was some.

People make silly, incomprehensibly rash decisions.

Naw, it’s a league setting. You have 3 or 4 options. I lock ours 5 minutes before kickoff for each individual player. You can also choose to lock them 5 minutes before the Thursday Kickoff. We tried that one year but folks didn’t like the inflexibility. You can also choose 1pm Sunday, but again, might jam you up with a MNF GTD. So we chose & voted to make it locked when their teams game starts.

The default and worst option leaves it wide open and allows in game drops,

Naw, it’s a league setting. You have 3 or 4 options. I lock ours 5 minutes before kickoff for each individual player. You can also choose to lock them 5 minutes before the Thursday Kickoff. We tried that one year but folks didn’t like the inflexibility. You can also choose 1pm Sunday, but again, might jam you up with a MNF GTD. So we chose & voted to make it locked when their teams game starts.

The default and worst option leaves it wide open and allows in game drops,
Ya in game drops seems wild.  But to reiterate the Sermon situation, there's little to no chance that Sermon was an "in game drop", as Mostert went down so fast and no way he's dropped after that happened.

Ya in game drops seems wild.  But to reiterate the Sermon situation, there's little to no chance that Sermon was an "in game drop", as Mostert went down so fast and no way he's dropped after that happened.

Mid round pick and still rostered in my 4 leagues.

My thoughts are that Sermon was inactive because he doesn't play special teams and with Mostert there in line for the bulk of the carries Sermon was needed.  They would rather have Mitchell and Hasty active for their special teams contributions.  Now that Mostert is gone for the season Sermon will step into that role and Mitchell and Hasty will continue with their roles from week 1.  Mitchell will get carries as he performed well given the chance (against a poor Detroit defense).  However, I still believe this will be Sermon's backfield (70/30 split).  

My thoughts are that Sermon was inactive because he doesn't play special teams and with Mostert there in line for the bulk of the carries Sermon was needed.  They would rather have Mitchell and Hasty active for their special teams contributions.  Now that Mostert is gone for the season Sermon will step into that role and Mitchell and Hasty will continue with their roles from week 1.  Mitchell will get carries as he performed well given the chance (against a poor Detroit defense).  However, I still believe this will be Sermon's backfield (70/30 split).  
I'm having Deja Vu.

People aren't always rational :)

I'm having Deja Vu.
I was having Deja Vu about the whole trade up angle but I cant remember specifically what other RB the 49ers traded up for but then didnt commit to. Maybe I am mixing that up with another team that did this?

Anyhow the head coach said that Mitchell and Hasty beat out Sermon in training camp as the reason why he was inactive week one so I think that's all we need to know.

Everything else is speculation from prior to this information. 

Well to support it he was deactivated.  That doesn't seem like coach speak

My money is that Sermon is ahead of Mitchell well before year's end...and the week 1 shananigans will be viewed as coaches sending a message or some sort of strategy play.

Sermon > Mitchell

My money is that Sermon is ahead of Mitchell well before year's end...and this will be viewed as coaches sending a message or some sort of strategy play.

Sermon > Mitchell

So is mine but the fact is that it's not just coach speak.  He actually deactivated him.  Right now it doesn't look great

I was having Deja Vu about the whole trade up angle but I cant remember specifically what other RB the 49ers traded up for but then didnt commit to. Maybe I am mixing that up with another team that did this?

Anyhow the head coach said that Mitchell and Hasty beat out Sermon in training camp as the reason why he was inactive week one so I think that's all we need to know.

Joe Williams from Utah. Shanny "pounded the table" for him. He never played in a single NFL game. 

Other than Waldman loving him and him landing with SF, what exactly is there to like about Sermon? He was outplayed by Kennedy Brooks as a sophomore. As a junior, a 4th round NFL draft pick beat him out for the starting job and he saw his workload significantly decrease. He transfers and plays behind Master Teague for the first half of the year. He was drafted because of 3 games his senior year against MSU, Northwestern and Clemson. Then when he measured in at his pro day, he was slow and had a low BMI. 

Well to support it he was deactivated.  That doesn't seem like coach speak

So is mine but the fact is that it's not just coach speak.  He actually deactivated him.  Right now it doesn't look great

More goes into deactivation than just the ability to run the football.  Mostert was healthy and Hasty/Mitchell play special teams.  Part of "beating out" Sermon could be that they play special teams and have a role that Sermon does not.  I have seen situations before where the true back up RB is not active game day because he is redundant to the starter and doesn't do other things (special teams) so they aren't active on game days.  I could be wrong but I believe that to be the case here.  

Other than Waldman loving him and him landing with SF, what exactly is there to like about Sermon? He was outplayed by Kennedy Brooks as a sophomore. As a junior, a 4th round NFL draft pick beat him out for the starting job and he saw his workload significantly decrease. He transfers and plays behind Master Teague for the first half of the year. He was drafted because of 3 games his senior year against MSU, Northwestern and Clemson. Then when he measured in at his pro day, he was slow and had a low BMI. 

to me Sermon's collective college resume/tape was superior to Mitchell's...I also believe that's why most scouts had him rated higher than Mitchell.  Sermon's tape was really good.

More goes into deactivation than just the ability to run the football.  Mostert was healthy and Hasty/Mitchell play special teams.  Part of "beating out" Sermon could be that they play special teams and have a role that Sermon does not.  I have seen situations before where the true back up RB is not active game day because he is redundant to the starter and doesn't do other things (special teams) so they aren't active on game days.  I could be wrong but I believe that to be the case here.  

There is no point belaboring this argument because none of us know but keeping two guys active over your highly rated draft pick who traded up for because they both play special teams would be really strange.  One special teams guy for sure...but two???

There is no point belaboring this argument because none of us know but keeping two guys active over your highly rated draft pick who traded up for because they both play special teams would be really strange.  One special teams guy for sure...but two???
And neither Mitchell nor Hasty returned kicks. It was Thomas, Manu, and Aiyuk who returned kicks.

49ers Week 1 Special Teams Snaps:

Woerner 23, Johnson 22, Flannigan-Fowles 22, Hufanga 20, Thomas 19, Ebukam 16, Robbie Gould 14, Dwelley 14, Harris 14, Ward 14, Wilson 14, Armstead 13, Mitch Wishnowsky 12, Jones 12, Taylor Pepper 10, Tom Compton 8, Jaylon Moore 8, Brunskill 8, Tomlinson 8, McGlinchey 8, Juszczyk 8, Sanu 6, Jennings 6, Tartt 6, Al-Shaair 6, Key 5, Lenoir 4, Givens 4, Warner 3, Sherfield 3, Kittle 2, Mitchell 2, Hasty 2, Aiyuk 1, K.Williams 1, Bosa 1, Ford 1

And neither Mitchell nor Hasty returned kicks. It was Thomas, Manu, and Aiyuk who returned kicks.
Mostert got hurt early.  At the point Mostert got hurt SF had not needed any kick returners.  Why risk your in game #2RB at that point after your starter was injured and out for the game.  

Users who are viewing this thread