What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Trey Sermon, Colts (4 Viewers)

Scott is also the kick returner. Would be interesting to know if they are running a bunch of others on returns. If so, could be Scott is gone. Sermon is nothing special though.

Lots of people in front of him though...

And preseason...i actually thought he looked a little slow there.

Be interesting to see what eagles fans have to say

Lots of people in front of him though...

And preseason...i actually thought he looked a little slow there.

Be interesting to see what eagles fans have to say
He is slow. It's hard to get excited after the team added Penny, Swift and they still seem to love Gainwell. What's left for Sermon? I'm thinking he ends up inactive most weeks.

argument for him is swift and gainwell are the receiving backs (if not buying the Gainwell hype as 3 down back of which i'm skeptical), and Penny will get likely get hurt at some point, so maybe not so far away from an opportunity...

Talent wise Sermon is a JAG but he’s actually a good fit for this offense. I believe he’s mentioned it’s similar to the one he played in at Oklahoma (before he transferred to Ohio State). Swift and Penny are injury prone and Gainwell is a smaller back. I think Sermon could do well for the Eagles if given the opportunity. That being said, he has to beat out Scott first, and Scott has the advantage of being able to contribute on special teams (a common ask of a 4th RB). Could be interesting but needs multiple things to go his way first.

He's baaaack...

(Rotowire) Sermon (knee) signed to the Colts' practice squad Tuesday. Analysis: Sermon was waived from IR by the Eagles after suffering a knee injury during training camp, but this move would signal the Ohio State product is now fully recovered. The 2021 third-round selection has yet to make an impact in the NFL, taking the field just twice last season, but he'll now work to make the most of his new opportunity in Indianapolis.

He's baaaack...

(Rotowire) Sermon (knee) signed to the Colts' practice squad Tuesday. Analysis: Sermon was waived from IR by the Eagles after suffering a knee injury during training camp, but this move would signal the Ohio State product is now fully recovered. The 2021 third-round selection has yet to make an impact in the NFL, taking the field just twice last season, but he'll now work to make the most of his new opportunity in Indianapolis.
*holding up my card* Bingo!!!

He's baaaack...

meh

I'm still holding and waiting. I traded Pierre Strong for him. I'm not sure that was a good trade. I still think he gets his shot.
Worth a shot now off Practice Squad but only 4 days with team so expect limited playbook comprehension
Does he even suit up??
Indy backfield is hurting just the way JT planned it!!

FWIW- I picked him up off WW

I'm still holding and waiting. I traded Pierre Strong for him. I'm not sure that was a good trade. I still think he gets his shot.
Worth a shot now off Practice Squad but only 4 days with team so expect limited playbook comprehension
Does he even suit up??
Indy backfield is hurting just the way JT planned it!!

FWIW- I picked him up off WW
Colts know they aren’t doing anything this year, so whatever Taylor planned doesn’t really matter. Actually I think that is foolish.

Well you just never know, do you?

I'd expect Moss to get most of the carries tomorrow with Sermon sprinkled in. Depends what he shows from there. Sermon's biggest questions are speed and vision. It's taken a little while for him to get adjusted to the pro game but Moss isn't much faster than him, so that's out the window in terms of a roadblock. If Sermon runs as intelligently and as hard-nosed as Moss, there's nothing stopping him from ascending to the 1A. Then again, if he doesn't, there's nothing to stop him from getting his walking papers.

But he's an interesting flyer, that's for sure. I think I'm glad that I did what I said upthread and acquired him for Pierre Strong, Jr. I mean, there's a path for Sermon here.

Baltimore are no slouches on defense, so this should be an interesting test.

Got my eye on him in dynasty, much like last year when he was buried in Philly’s depth chart. I’m hesitant to grab him mainly because 1) he’s only been on the roster for 5 days now and will likely be 3rd in the order behind Moss and Funk, and 2) the possibility Taylor will come back in Week 5 and at that point it doesn’t matter what Sermon does, he’s not starting over Taylor. Of course there’s always the possibility he surpasses the guys in front of him and plays well enough for the Colts to move on from Taylor and anoint Sermon the new RB1. But I’m not betting on that.

RBs can be just about getting the right opportunity, if Taylor doesn't come back he may at least get his shot at some point.

He's the funnest roster clogger this side of clogging dancers on your roof. Or the worst clogger since Uncle Al went to town on your commode. Can't tell you how much Sermon has clogged my roster in the past two years.
I'm get a similar clogger vibe from Zamir White. Great athletic scores like Sermon, but very limited NFL video, which is telling. I think both of them are lacking in RB skills such as vision and lateral movement. Abdullah and Bolden got more action than White in 2022.

Great athletic scores like Sermon

Sermon did not have great athletic scores, though. Sermon's were actually weak unless you look at a ten-yard split in the forty. It's why I think he's not really sticking with teams, other than some coach-speak from Shanahan when they were trying to move him (right before they cut him in Frisco) and Sirianni (right before they cut him in Philly).

Sounds like a lot of laurels are being offered up, but nobody is willing to have their jobs come down to betting on Trey Sermon at RB.

That's not me pooh-poohing him, either. I think there's something there. But it's been two teams so far, and we'll see about the third. Hey, it took Mostert seven teams to catch on somewhere, and even the seventh let him walk for not much. So there's hope yet.

Abdullah and Bolden got more action than White in 2022.

Yeah, but they're serving different purposes, too. Zamir White is an early-down back with size and speed. Now, I've never been sold on Zeus, but he has size and speed in buckets. The problem was always his vision and his agility (avoiding linebackers and safeties at the second level). He doesn't move that well laterally and doesn't set up guys to have them out of position very much. He just sort of runs straight into tacklers. That was his problem at Georgia, too, so you know it's not just getting adjusted to the NFL.

I will say I think he has more talent then Deon Jackson, but I'll pass.
Well, I agree with you because having more talent than Deon Jackson isn't really saying much. Sermon hasn't shown to be successful so far in the NFL. How many teams has he already been on in his short career?

He's the funnest roster clogger this side of clogging dancers on your roof. Or the worst clogger since Uncle Al went to town on your commode. Can't tell you how much Sermon has clogged my roster in the past two years.
I'm get a similar clogger vibe from Zamir White. Great athletic scores like Sermon, but very limited NFL video, which is telling. I think both of them are lacking in RB skills such as vision and lateral movement. Abdullah and Bolden got more action than White in 2022.
Funny you made that comparison as I dropped Zamir White to pick up Sermon yesterday
Just from potential White’s limited work shows JAG while we don’t have any from Sermon to gauge yet.
Dart throws

Sermon might be the player I was most wrong about ever...what a whiff.
I still don’t get what you and Waldman and others saw. The guy could barely even get on the field in college. But again I was over the fn moon for Harry that year so what do I know lol.

I still don’t get what you and Waldman and others saw. The guy could barely even get on the field in college. But again I was over the fn moon for Harry that year so what do I know lol.

He looked like an NFL RB to me in college. Power, contact balance, NFL size, vision. I don't think he has any of those things now. Really misleading tape IMHO.

Just goes to show how replaceable the RB position is ... I had this guy on my dynasty team for what felt like 4 years, but was only about a year, just week after week healthy scratch. "He must suck" is the assumption.

Lost the bid on him by a dollar. Fourteen to thirteen.

:wall:
Probably doesn't matter does it? There is a strong chance Taylor is back next week anyway.

"NFL Network's Ian Rapoport didn't express that there was a certainty with Taylor's status, but he said there is a "realistic chance" that Taylor could be back by Week 16. Taylor's initial timeline was 2-3 weeks, and he's already pushing the outer end of that estimate. Of course, as a ball carrier, your thumb is not a body part you want to have hurt while you play, so while Taylor remains out and in recovery, Zack Moss continues to man the ship"

Of course this was posted before Moss got hurt, so even if JT plays in week 16, Sermon / Goodson will back him up, but you can't realistically play either of the backups unless Taylor is out another week and it sounds like he has a good chance to return.

Probably doesn't matter does it? There is a strong chance Taylor is back next week anyway.

Thanks for the kind numbing of pain, but I'm not betting on that. You can't take the money with you and it's a dynasty roster. I changed the bid from seventeen for some stupid reason. With Chase going down and Collins missing this week, I'm hurting for next week. So I still gotta

Thanks for the kind numbing of pain, but I'm not betting on that. You can't take the money with you and it's a dynasty roster. I changed the bid from seventeen for some stupid reason. With Chase going down and Collins missing this week, I'm hurting for next week. So I still gotta

I had eleven originally and changed it to fourteen. 💰

Users who are viewing this thread