What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Antonio Gibson, NE (4 Viewers)

Player who became a real NFL RB after being a college WR.
That’s the point. TY Montgomery did NOT become a good NFL RB.

I’m not even sure he’ll make a roster this season - he washed out of the league quickly after showing a few flashes early on. 

Hall of Fame RB Adrian Peterson to me on Washington release: “It caught me by surprise. I was having a strong camp. It was showing up on film, taking #1 reps all the way to this week. I just got notified by the running backs coach yesterday that they want to give these.... [ 1/4]

[Cont] "..young guys some reps, but I didn’t know I was going to get cut, there was no indication. Today (Ron) Rivera just said this is always tough, but yes we’re gonna release you & go with this offensive style. I respect coach. Look (Antonio) Gibson is a hell of a talent...2/4

[Cont] "...This system really fits him. I feel like I can do that pony style too, more as a receiving back. We were all working on it, but they really want one main guy to do it & they drafted Gibson for it. Trust me, I still have a lot in me, more to strive for & do again...3/4

[Peterson to me cont] "...even when there’s doubt. I feel strong & I can build on that as the season wears on. I'll do it again." 4/4
James Hoge@hogie777

AP was quoted today: “Look (Antonio) Gibson is a hell of a talent This system really fits him. I feel like I can do that pony style too, more as a receiving back. We were all working on it, but they really want one main guy to do it & they drafted Gibson for it.

He ran so many wrong routes and he was like the 3rd or 4th option on his own team. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's a long shot that he's good at this level. 

He ran so many wrong routes

Where are you getting this? Have never heard this before now.

and he was like the 3rd or 4th option on his own team.
This carries much less weight post-draft, as the NFL has already adjusted for this and decided to invest in him anyways. Even more so in this case since WAS also cleared the runway in front of him after a full training camp of observation. 

One thing people need to keep in mind to keep their expectations in check, though: framing the AP cut as being about Gibson (his performance in camp or his role in the offense ) is not really accurate. The truth is that along with the staff liking the young RB corps and its versatility, Haskins is also much more comfortable in the concepts that Turner likes to run with these guys compared to the stuff they needed to do with AP. AP became a square peg in a round hole. 

I'm not saying it's impossible but it's a long shot that he's good at this level. 
That goes for pretty much any mid-round skill player drafted in the NFL.

Gibson is a tough projection because his measurables and skill-set simply don’t match up with his college workload in any way. There’s risk here and it’s silly to deny it. And the hype has gotten overboard now because the AP cut was not JUST about Gibson looking good, but some don’t understand that—and he will not necessarily become a traditional bellcow at all. So I get the trepidation Milkman. 

So they cut AP to feature Barber/McKissic? Not buying it, although, who knows early in the season.

I also don't buy that Love will be the feature back. That said, it's a guess exactly how they'll use Gibson.

The main takeaway should be out of their current RBs, Gibson is EASILY the one with the most upside (talking long-term).

BTW, it would be a big mistake to assume someone who's college career didn't blossom can't succeed in the NFL. Is he a sure thing? No way, but you have to trust your eyeballs, which is the most important tool in scouting. And that's exactly what Washington did.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: LBH
So they cut AP to feature Barber/McKissic? Not buying it, although, who knows early in the season.

I also don't buy that Love will be the feature back. That said, it's a guess exactly how they'll use Gibson.

The main takeaway should be out of their current RBs, Gibson is EASILY the one with the most upside (talking long-term).

BTW, it would be a big mistake to assume someone who's college career didn't blossom can't succeed in the NFL. Is he a sure thing? No way, but you have to trust your eyeballs, which is the most important tool in scouting. And that's exactly what Washington did.
He had 2 carries for 6 yards in his final game against Penn State. 

And yes Barber/McKissic(3rd downs) sprinkle in Gibson

Terry McLaurin had a total of 75 catches in college.  In 4 years.  Playing in 44 games.

I realize they play different positions, but there are some parallels.
Willie Parker was another example of a thoroughly unimpressive college player who ended up having some really good pro years. Had 48 carries for 181 yards and no TDs his senior year at North Carolina. Put up 1494 yards and 13 TDs in 2006 w/ the Steelers.

I see it more like:

Gibson/McKissic(3rd downs) sprinkle in Love. Also some 21/22 personnel. 

Barber is an in case of emergency, break glass type. 

I'm expecting 15-ish touches for Gibson week 1. Maybe more if Washington keeps it close, which could happen if their D-line gives the reshuffled Eagles OL problems.

This is an evaluation season for Washington. The coaching staff has job security and they are highly unlikely to be anywhere near .500. No reason not to throw the younge,r higher upside guys out and see what happens, and that is why Peterson is gone. I wouldn't be shocked if Ryan Kerrigan got traded sometime this weekend as well. Possibly Alex Smith, if he is willing to restructure. 

I'm not denying we see Barber/McKissic early in the season (it's possible), but they didn't cut AP to go with that duo long-term.

Like I said, Gibson isn't a sure thing, but as far as FF goes, he's the guy you want to bet on.

Willie Parker was another example of a thoroughly unimpressive college player who ended up having some really good pro years. Had 48 carries for 181 yards and no TDs his senior year at North Carolina. Put up 1494 yards and 13 TDs in 2006 w/ the Steelers.
Yeah, just bad strategy to totally discount someone like Gibson based on their college production.

It's mostly about scouting with eyeballs & if the player can jump to the next level.

Gibson went 1.09 last night in an annual  12-team dynasty PPR rookie draft. 

Just took him at pick 75...PPR league
I think that is a pretty good spot for him.

What his redraft trade value? His projection. On sleeper (as ridiculous as they can be) just shot way up.
A projection is tough, because there are a wide range of outcomes. I don't think its out of the question he gets like 70% of the workload in a best case scenario, with something like 800 yards rushing, 600 receiving, and 7-9 TD's.

As far as trade value, depending on positions, I'd have him above any non Jackson/Mahomes QB, in the Fuller/Hollywood/Deebo WR range, and probably Waller at TE. If I were offering for him, I'd say M.Jones/Edelman levels at WR, or Engram/Higbee TE's.

With that Eagles, Cardinals, Browns start, I could see him increasing his value from now.

I think that is a pretty good spot for him.

A projection is tough, because there are a wide range of outcomes. I don't think its out of the question he gets like 70% of the workload in a best case scenario, with something like 800 yards rushing, 600 receiving, and 7-9 TD's.

As far as trade value, depending on positions, I'd have him above any non Jackson/Mahomes QB, in the Fuller/Hollywood/Deebo WR range, and probably Waller at TE. If I were offering for him, I'd say M.Jones/Edelman levels at WR, or Engram/Higbee TE's.

With that Eagles, Cardinals, Browns start, I could see him increasing his value from now.
I would trade him for Engram in a second. Trading him is the correct play imo. 

Anyway I'm leaving now lol. Good Luck to all the guys that own him. He has great upside. 

I would trade him for Engram in a second. Trading him is the correct play imo. 

Anyway I'm leaving now lol. Good Luck to all the guys that own him. He has great upside. 
I have this exact offer on the table in redraft. And thinking about pulling the trigger.

Interesting. So looking at current 4th round ADP, you'd take him over the following? (Remember, this is WFT)

DJ Chark

Terry McLaurin

Tyler Lockett

David Johnson

Jonathan Taylor

all?  some?
Sorry, dumped out yesterday.  McLaurin and David Johnson are on his level for me.  The others are behind him.  Taylor is hard to say.

I play only ppr pretty much btw.

Engram and Latavius Murray for Jared Cook and Gibson just accepted. If anyone is looking for value they can get for Gibson.
Unless that team getting Murray also has Kamara, I think that might have been a little light on the return. 

In a nutshell I think the difference between the RB's, is bigger than the difference between the TE's.

Unless that team getting Murray also has Kamara, I think that might have been a little light on the return. 

In a nutshell I think the difference between the RB's, is bigger than the difference between the TE's.
We will see how it works out for me. I have Engram in a tier above Cook.  Albeit how that pans out is unknown.  I am a believer in a healthy Engram being top 5.

Gibson is likely on my bench. Possible flex if he pans out. And I’m not as high on him as others.

We’ll see as the season goes. 

I like to trade. 

We will see how it works out for me. I have Engram in a tier above Cook.  Albeit how that pans out is unknown.  I am a believer in a healthy Engram being top 5.

Gibson is likely on my bench. Possible flex if he pans out. And I’m not as high on him as others.

We’ll see as the season goes. 

I like to trade. 
Personally I've got Engram way above Cook. He's basically a WR playing TE and that team doesn't have a ton of good targets, so he should see a lot. Gibson has CMC-lite upside, but I'm skeptical that happens (this season, at least).

That’s the point. TY Montgomery did NOT become a good NFL RB.

I’m not even sure he’ll make a roster this season - he washed out of the league quickly after showing a few flashes early on. 
He's a lock for the Saints' final 53 right now. 3rd in the pecking order, though. Still, Payton has a history of satellite backs killing it in his system.

I've won money with Ty Montgomery as one of my RBs. Imma say it was in despite of the fact. He was useful for a couple minutes, though. 

No idea on Gibson other than to say they drafted him relatively high (for RB these days), they seem to be in love with him, he seems to be killing it in TC, and I'm buying. Not expecting a ton but he is already exceeding it. But otherwise I hate it when we all try to nitpick whether some (relatively) random one-to-one player comparison stacks up or not. It sort of dishonors both players. I get it, though, we all do it and it can be useful. Maybe it would be better if there were several players to compare to, but since the criteria is RBs that had very few carries in college, it makes sense.

I'm still curious to see if they use Love or if the reports of waiting a couple more months for him are true. I'm not clear on when NFL teams had to declare IR - I thought it was yesterday at roster cuts. If true that means Love is on the 53 no? Sure seems he *could* get run on day 1. I hate to say it but in a couple redrafts where I am a little thin at RB I might run out and get....Barber. Ugh.

I've won money with Ty Montgomery as one of my RBs. Imma say it was in despite of the fact. He was useful for a couple minutes, though. 

No idea on Gibson other than to say they drafted him relatively high (for RB these days), they seem to be in love with him, he seems to be killing it in TC, and I'm buying. Not expecting a ton but he is already exceeding it. But otherwise I hate it when we all try to nitpick whether some (relatively) random one-to-one player comparison stacks up or not. It sort of dishonors both players. I get it, though, we all do it and it can be useful. Maybe it would be better if there were several players to compare to, but since the criteria is RBs that had very few carries in college, it makes sense.

I'm still curious to see if they use Love or if the reports of waiting a couple more months for him are true. I'm not clear on when NFL teams had to declare IR - I thought it was yesterday at roster cuts. If true that means Love is on the 53 no? Sure seems he *could* get run on day 1. I hate to say it but in a couple redrafts where I am a little thin at RB I might run out and get....Barber. Ugh.
As I understand it, if they put someone on IR after Monday they can get the player back in just three weeks. This, evidently, is why Pats don’t have a kicker. I guess they will put either Beau Allen and/or Damien Harris on IR on Monday to bring back Nick Folk.

Just jumped up in the default ESPN rankings from 139 to 60. The discount is gone.

Have a hard time justifying a 5th round pick on a rookie when the likes of a R. Mostert are valued similarly. 

kyoun1e said:
Just jumped up in the default ESPN rankings from 139 to 60. The discount is gone.

Have a hard time justifying a 5th round pick on a rookie when the likes of a R. Mostert are valued similarly. 
The hype train on this kid is out of control!

The hype train on this kid is out of control!
I guess it depends on which hype train you are referring to? This thread? 

Because fantasypros has him ranked 78 overall in ppr and RBs 31. They however have his projected point total at 192 points good for RB21. He is only behind CEH(by wide margin) for rookie projections for RB. Slightly ahead of Taylor... less rushing but more all purpose yards.

While I'm very excited by the turn of events, I think the brakes need to be pumped a bit.  I've never been one to put stock in the "he's never carried the load before, so there must be a reason" argument.  HOWEVER, in this case I think it would be too much to expect someone with the amount of work he had in college (or lack thereof) to come right in and... carry the load.  Hopefully at some point he will, but I expect a very heavy RBBC situation for a while.

I guess it depends on which hype train you are referring to? This thread? 

Because fantasypros has him ranked 78 overall in ppr and RBs 31. They however have his projected point total at 192 points good for RB21. He is only behind CEH(by wide margin) for rookie projections for RB. Slightly ahead of Taylor... less rushing but more all purpose yards.
Judging by how many have him on their reach list, and all the articles I see about him, EVERYWHERE.

Judging by how many have him on their reach list, and all the articles I see about him, EVERYWHERE.
10 carries for 43 yards a game with 3 catches for 24 yards receiving per game and 0.4 tds per game. 

That is what those projections work out to per game. I don’t see how those projections are overblown. 

Seems like a reasonable projection which would have him being drafted in fifth round of 10 team drafts.

10 carries for 43 yards a game with 3 catches for 24 yards receiving per game and 0.4 tds per game. 

That is what those projections work out to per game. I don’t see how those projections are overblown. 

Seems like a reasonable projection which would have him being drafted in fifth round of 10 team drafts.
His highlight reel is incredible!  I know the tendencies of my league mates, and someone will reach for him......he's the shiny new toy.....he should be fun to watch, I just doubt he'll be on my teams.

Had my last draft of the year tonight on Zoom/Google Sheets with some pretty FF savvy friends that we've been playing together for years. No rankings and everyone working off their own lists. Gibson went 5th round.

Had my last draft of the year tonight on Zoom/Google Sheets with some pretty FF savvy friends that we've been playing together for years. No rankings and everyone working off their own lists. Gibson went 5th round.
I also took him in the 5th during a draft Saturday night to ensure I got him in a dynasty startup. I definitely feel like I drafted him at his ceiling to reach 100% ownership in redraft/dynasty, but I watched his every snap at Memphis after Rivera and Turner took him at the 3rd. I came away impressed. His vision to find inside lanes needs some work, but his receiving talents are arguably the best in this class in the same offensive scheme that gave CMC WR2 stats last year. He is a true athletic freak. After the comments from AP, I am all in on that PPR upside boost with the added bonus of having the size to get GL snaps. Wild off-season that I was able to get him in the 10th and 11th rounds in early July to see him being mocked regularly in the 6th two nights ago.

TLDR: LFG GIBSON HYPE TRAIN!!

His Hype is out of control, I agree.  But I seem to be in two kinds of drafts the last couple of days.

The leagues where I'm still able to get him in the 8th round and I snag him, or the leagues where someone else is so high on him that they take him in the 5th/6th round.  I'm fine with either happening.

Took him pick #53 in a 16 team standard scoring league as my RB3. Though we only can start 2. Made a small trade up to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread