What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biggest Mistakes in Human History (1 Viewer)

How many people do you expect Covid to kill? The Chinese Killing of the Sparrows in the 50's led to 20-40M deaths.  

No disrespect intended, but you either have recency bias or dont know a lot about history. 
"Joseph...Joseph Stalin...in the back, I see you have your hand raised"

Yeah it always seems contemporary thought is that even if that never happened, something else would've started it anyway by that point.
True, but since we have "a" guy, it's easy for me to point fingers. The end of the imperial era was going to close badly one way or the other. Don't know if a world war would have been the result but certainly a mass casualty event. Would it have been the domino that fell to start WWII? Would WWII have even started? This is were the what if's? get interesting.

Biggest mistake that ultimately was a good thing....  I will say is Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor.  Hard not to look at it as a tactical mistake by Japan.  But I wonder if HItler doesn't ultimately prevail if Japan had not attacked

There’s maybe an amendment  to the US Constitution that could have been better written. 
Sorry but even in the early 20th century, the lawyers of that age would not have used the terms "dames" or "broads" in the official copy of the 19th amendment 

Last edited by a moderator:
Biggest mistake that ultimately was a good thing....  I will say is Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor.  Hard not to look at it as a tactical mistake by Japan.  But I wonder if HItler doesn't ultimately prevail if Japan had not attacked
Was it the attack, or not pressing on to California while the opportunity was there?

Does Hitler still turn on Russia? That seems like his ultimate undoing. Aside from the drug abuse & Parkinson's or whatever he was addled with.

I don't think Germany would have recovered from Barbarossa. But maybe Hitler agrees to a truce, with Germany/Russia/Japan eventually dividing Eurasia?

Does Hitler still turn on Russia? That seems like his ultimate undoing. Aside from the drug abuse & Parkinson's or whatever he was addled with.
Hitler turned on the Soviets in June 1941. The Soviets launched their big counterattack on December 5th. I don't think Pearl Harbor had any immediate effect on Hitler's plans.

But I wonder if HItler doesn't ultimately prevail if Japan had not attacked
Doubt it. 

Lend Lease was already in effect by then, that was the turning point. Also on December 6, 1941, the Russians launched a major counterattack outside of Moscow. If not for Pearl Harbor this might be considered one of the most pivotal events of the war. 

If anyone claims COVID response is an historically bad response, up to 50 million died in the Spanish Flu when that was 16 percent of the population. Much of the spread was exacerbated by refusal of some governments to disrupt wartime mobilization. Undoubtedly millions died as a result. Stepping up a level, the convoluted treaties that led to World War I is up there, and encapsulates the up to 22m killed, 23m wounded, and a good swath of the 50m deaths from the pandemic.
Pretty much the blueprint for bad decision making was the world 1914-1945.

If anyone claims COVID response is an historically bad response, up to 50 million died in the Spanish Flu when that was 16 percent of the population. Much of the spread was exacerbated by refusal of some governments to disrupt wartime mobilization. Undoubtedly millions died as a result. Stepping up a level, the convoluted treaties that led to World War I is up there, and encapsulates the up to 22m killed, 23m wounded, and a good swath of the 50m deaths from the pandemic.
On point here.   Someone has to be insane to put COVID on the list. 

Not only did the events leading to WWI set humanity back in general, from a death perspective 130,000 people died in the Battle of Argonne in like a week.  The US alone put out more ammo in the first 4 hours of battle than was used in all of the Civil War.

The qualifier is whether metric is the official system.

England - where, presumably, the Royal Imperial system originated (or was popularized) - is officially metric. But as anyone who has visited may attest, the roadway signage & speed limits are posted in miles/mph.
You are absolutely correct. You did use "official system" as the qualifier. "Official System" does not mean fully implemented or utilized.

During the administration of American President Richard Nixon (1969–1974), the United States turned to increasingly harsh measures against cannabis use, and a step away from proposals to decriminalize or legalize the drug. The administration began the War on Drugs, with Nixon in 1971 naming drug abuse as "public enemy number one in the United States."

During the administration of American President Richard Nixon (1969–1974), the United States turned to increasingly harsh measures against cannabis use, and a step away from proposals to decriminalize or legalize the drug. The administration began the War on Drugs, with Nixon in 1971 naming drug abuse as "public enemy number one in the United States."
Nixon was a real trip.

https://medium.com/@Anthony_Bergen/what-have-i-done-the-final-hours-of-richard-nixon-s-presidency-40ffbeac6c44

The fire destroying the great ancient library is a myth. It mostly fell apart as Rome did- lost funding and interest. One of the many signs of the decline of the empire. 
What?!?! Spaceship earth ride is a lie! 

Although i think according to judi there was a backup. 

Osaurus said:
The Test Forum kicked to the curb
Shoot.. Did we forget your invite????? Unfortunately what happens there, stays there and invitations are on hold.. But we'll see about adding you to the list. :oldunsure:  

Filling up a giant balloon with hydrogen and floating around the skies seemed dicey.

Not being concerned with ice bergs also not a trait I'd want in a ship captain.

Sammy Sosa AND Wilson Alverez for Harold Suckasssse Baines? 

Cop Rock.

The Yugo.

28-3

In my best Dan Carlin...

If he knew now what the outcome would be, the decision of a 19 year old Serb on June 28th, 1914.

Also renaming driveways & parkways. Always bothered me.
This is what I came here to post.  I can't believe it made it to page two.  That whole Franz Ferdinand situation was a fiasco.  How bad of a driver do you have to be to give the bad guys TWO shots at assinating your boss in one day.  Oof.  

And then there was England. Their boy the Butcher of the Somme got a couple of million peeps killed by some accounts. Double Oof!

And yes, the treaties.  Triple Oof!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread