What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Annual FBGs NFL Draft Montee Ball Award (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Doesn't have to be someone that lines up with Ball's physical profile.  Only requirement is that he is highly thought of coming out of college.   My choice for the first annual FBGs Montee Ball Award goes to Zack Moss.  No speed and he took a lot of punishment in college that won't translate in the NFL.  Players are bigger, stronger,and faster in the NFL, so his running style will set him up for injuries IMO.  Taking on contact in the NFL won't be the same as it was for Moss in college.   He seems to be more of an old school type of back with less talent than studs of that era.

ETA:  Decided not to make this a poll.  Not really interested in just voting, which can be skewed by biases and no real input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely agree on Moss. He has a Zac Stacy air about him to me for some reason. Nothing special on tape just looks like a good high effort RB with a nice low base and nice balance who will get it done, but the difference between College and NFL athleticism on opposing defenses just crushes all hope. JAGs can succeed at RB in the NFL but the combo of scheme, workload (aka lack of competition) and usually vision has to hit just right for anything more than boring replacement-level production, and I don't see that here. 

Now obviously Zac Stacy was Gurley'd but he was also nothing special at all before or after on other teams, he was a total projection of wishful thinking by owners due to decent pedigree and little competition (before Gurley).

Good points about Moss, but hes been going in the 21 range. IMO theres a guy going at least 10 slots earlier that earns this award... 

Vaughn is my nomination

Hes a guy who might do okay, but you should probably sell him after year 1 as hes likely to be replaced by someone else better 

I originally had thought Akers, because I dont think there is a chance he lives up to the highest hype I've seen for him. I keep reminding myself about the Seattle RB room 2 years ago and how everyone  bailed on Carson for the flashy new toy. Even if he does become the alpha, I'm not too excited about his output considering the offense.  

Since I've seen these 2 go within a couple picks of each other, and IMO Vaughn may be in the ham sandwich value range in 2 years, Vaughn it is.
Have to agree here.  All of his value seems to be tied to landing spot and that landing spot isn't even completely firm for this season with Rojo still in the room.

I am not sure if any of these really fill the Montee Ball namesake.  He was a top 2 pick in almost every rookie fantasy draft that year.  These guys mentioned are all later in the round so no nearly as damaging. 

Although, I do not believe this guy will put out the Montee Ball performance someone that would fit the mold better if he doesn't do the job would be CEH.  He vaulted to the top couple spots due to landing spot.  If he were to flame out then he would be a fitting winner.

Personally I think he will be really good as I had him as my top target prior to the NFL draft but someone would like that would be more befitting the moniker Montee Ball Award.

ETA:  I don't think there will be a true Montee Ball recipient from this year's class.  I think CEH and Taylor will both do well.

I'm going out on a limb and say Dobbins. He was a guy I avoided at 3rd overall. Crowded backfield, every time I watched him I was unimpressed, truck size lanes to run through, last of the 5 RBs to be drafted. Most will disagree as he's a fantasy favorite by I don't like him. 

I'm going out on a limb and say Dobbins. He was a guy I avoided at 3rd overall. Crowded backfield, every time I watched him I was unimpressed, truck size lanes to run through, last of the 5 RBs to be drafted. Most will disagree as he's a fantasy favorite by I don't like him. 
If he'd landed anywhere else I'd have him down as the surefire number 1 candidate for this award. Just seemed a bit nothingy to me on his tape. 

Hard to see him falling flat with the Ravens though. 

I am not sure if any of these really fill the Montee Ball namesake.  He was a top 2 pick in almost every rookie fantasy draft that year.  These guys mentioned are all later in the round so no nearly as damaging. 

Although, I do not believe this guy will put out the Montee Ball performance someone that would fit the mold better if he doesn't do the job would be CEH.  He vaulted to the top couple spots due to landing spot.  If he were to flame out then he would be a fitting winner.

Personally I think he will be really good as I had him as my top target prior to the NFL draft but someone would like that would be more befitting the moniker Montee Ball Award.

ETA:  I don't think there will be a true Montee Ball recipient from this year's class.  I think CEH and Taylor will both do well.
Agree, don't see many true believers in Moss or Vaughn.  I nominated Higgins as I've seen him ranked in the top 8 some places, but yeah he probably doesn't fit.

If I have to pick one of the consensus top 7 to fail, its Swift.  Just about the worst landing apot possible.  Liked the player but have avoided him in every draft.

So, let's throw DeAndre Swift up on the board.

I was thinking this could be a good article for someone to write looking back at players who were drafted way too high based on ADP

I would be a way of owning some rankings that were wrong and hopefully learn something from it that can be used to avoid it in the future.

Calling it the Montee Ball award is brilliant because it sounds like Monty Hall and that is a good description of what we are doing when making a decision on who to pick. Montee Ball is the symbol for the gag prize. 

I agree with what Gally is saying about Ball being a more epic blunder, similar to Trent Richardson.

There will never be another Montee Ball. People are *still* feeling disappointed in that guy. :doh:  

Users who are viewing this thread