What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Twitter permanently bans Trump (2 Viewers)

Possibly a false equivalent, so I’m fully open to being shown such, but...

How does Twitter, et al., operating their private business as they please compare to the famous bakers v. gay cakes topic?  And no, I’m not trying to pull in social commentary here, just going direct to a well known and controversial case that I see similar to this one.  The baker’s were argued to have the right to refuse customers that had a lifestyle they disagreed with.  Twitter, in support of their decision, is argued to have the right as private entity to refuse service to those they find in violation of their TOS.  Is there enough “freedom of religion”, legally speaking, within the baker’s case to differentiate here or are they more similar from a legal standpoint?

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA

How does Twitter, et al., operating their private business as they please compare to the famous bakers v. gay cakes topic?  And no, I’m not trying to pull in social commentary here, just going direct to a well known and controversial case that I see similar to this one.  The baker’s were argued to have the right to refuse customers that had a lifestyle they disagreed with.  Twitter, in support of their decision, is argued to have the right as private entity to refuse service to those they find in violation of their TOS.  Is there enough “freedom of religion”, legally speaking, within the baker’s case to differentiate here or are they more similar from a legal standpoint?
Legally, they're different because the bakery case involves the first amendment directly and also involves a legally protected class.  Philosophically, they're identical.  Both companies should be able to run their businesses the way they choose.

• Thanks
Perhaps they didn't do things such as call for the beheading of Fauci and Chris Wray as Steven Bannon did or violate Twitter's rules against inciting violence like Lin Wood, or like Michael Flynn and Sidney Powell who were promoting QAnon conspiracy theories. Coby attempted to help President Trump evade Twitter bans by using his account.
So there zero left leaning twitter accounts that promote violence vs conservative actives, right?  

Let me know if you can find any left leaning bans.  Hope this helps..
Can you point us to a left-leaning account that has openly advocated for violence and assisted in actually planning violence?  If you can, I'll join you in calling for Twitter to ban/suspend/whatever.  You need to get past right vs. left, as it's not about right vs. left, and understand that "right" isn't why they were banned/suspended.

Not twitter....but i've been banned on both Parler and Breitbarts Comments section (Disqus...I believe?).

Trolling?  Yes.....but nothing more derogatory than saying stuff like "Stacey Abrams is ROCK STAR! for registerting hundreds of thousands of people to vote against Republicans".

So there zero left leaning twitter accounts that promote violence vs conservative actives, right?  
:shrug:

If you find them, report them.
It really is that simple. Twitter's consistency or lack thereof is a topic worthy of discussion for sure. But it shouldn't be used to distract from the their right to bounce accounts (including Trump's) for blatantly violating TOS after providing multiple warnings, especially when the posts leading up to the ban contain decidedly false information and/or are calling for violence or insurrection.

:lmao:   Bill Cosby still tweetting behind bars
Twitter is banned inside Iran so the people have no access, yet the Supreme leader of Iran tweets all the time about destroying Israel.  They are on a slippery slope right now. Just tweeted that the vaccines from USA and France are contaminated. Bizarre times we are in with big tech.

This will be a huge and messy topic leading up to the mid-terms. We need to have this discussion as a country but oh boy, it is going to be heated. I wonder what social media will look like in 2022, 2024, and beyond. By the way, I agree with some others that one effective strategy for personal sanity is to just get off the platforms. Highly recommend.

• Smile
In 2021 we have the following permanent bans

Lin wood, Dan bongino, jack Angeli, Sidney Powell, Michael Flynn,  Sidney Powell, Gary coby,  Ben garrison.  Steve Brannon etc etc.  you can review the list yourself in Wikipedia.  There no left leaning accounts banned.  Gee I wonder why?
Lin Wood called for the execution of the VP

Dan Bongino was given a 12 hour suspension and then announced he is not returning to Twitter (he is an investor in Parler)

Jack Angeli is a terrorist who stormed the Capital 

Sidney Powell amplifies insane Q conspiracy theories as well as repeatedly lying about the election

Same for Flynn 

Gary Coby is banned because he helps run the Twitter account tied to Trump and tried to circumvent the Trump suspension 

Ben Garrison's cartoons promoted Q and antisemitism 

Steve Bannon was also calling for the public execution of federal officials. 

Are these what you consider conservative thought leaders of the day? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Lin Wood called for the execution of the VP

Dan Bongino was given a 12 hour suspension and then announced he is not returning to Twitter (he is an investor in Parler)

Jack Angeli is a terrorist who stormed the Capital 

Sidney Powell amplifies insane Q conspiracy theories as well as repeatedly lying about the election

Same for Flynn 

Gary Coby is banned because he helps run the Twitter account tied to Trump and tried to circumvent the Trump suspension 

Ben Garrison's cartoons promoted Q and antisemitism 

Steve Bannon was also calling for the public execution of federal officials. 

Are these what you consider conservative thought leaders of the day? 
I remember lamenting a while back about how when I was growing up, I had people like William F. Buckley, Milton Friedman, and Ronald Reagan to serve as role models, and today's conservatives have to settle for people like Ben Shapiro.  But that was a few years ago, and Ben Shapiro looks like Edmund Burke compared the Mos Eisley cantina assortment that you just cited.  

Social media can ban whoever they want.  The same people who are happy about it shouldn't complain about Parler.  
I don't care who Parler bans or doesn't ban.  By the same token, I'm not going to complain if Apple removes Parler from its app store for not complying with Apple's rules.

Just today, I saw posts on Gab suggesting that Trump deserves an "unconstitutional for more years"and that "God-Emperor would be fine because of all the shenanigans".  Shenanigans wasn't the actual word, but I'm abiding by this forum's language filter.  If Gab is fine with that kind of post, so am I.  Their platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
Twitter is banned inside Iran so the people have no access, yet the Supreme leader of Iran tweets all the time about destroying Israel.  They are on a slippery slope right now. Just tweeted that the vaccines from USA and France are contaminated. Bizarre times we are in with big tech.
I wonder with the Ayatollah and similar if there has ever been discussion with the government where CIA/military prefers to allow the Ayatollah to have his Twitter account so they can see what kind of propaganda he's spreading, who is following him, etc. 

It's probably more equivalent to a bar banning a patron because they would come in and lie, spew toxic BS, promote violence and rile other customers up. 

Social media can ban whoever they want.  The same people who are happy about it shouldn't complain about Parler.  
I'm not complaining about Parler. I'm using my examples to reinforce the ideas that A) social media companies can ban anyone for whatever they want and B) Conservative media isn't exactly the last bastion of freedom of speech that many claim it to be.  

I think there’s tons of evil foreign leaders that Twitter should ban. 

Complaining about Parler?  Or complaining about people promoting violence on Parler?

I mean Lin Wood did call for the execution of Mike Pence - and its not like he is some random iTough-Guy
Complain about Parlor allowing hate speech, promoting violence, etc.  

IvanKaramazov said:
Scott Alexander (Slatestarcodex) called this exactly right several years ago, before Parler ever existed.  I'm paraphrasing, but the gist of it is that if you create a new society founded on the principle of "Absolutely no witch-hunts ever," you're going to end up with a society populated by three principled libertarians and seventy-billion witches.  That's Parler.
IIRC our own @Maurile Tremblay has made this argument (though maybe he was quoting your guy?).

Sinn Fein said:
For Apple, Google and Amazon - they are almost certainly making a financial decision.  Capitalists should love that kind of freedom.
And if they don’t stop stop using their products 

IvanKaramazov said:
Scott Alexander (Slatestarcodex) called this exactly right several years ago, before Parler ever existed.  I'm paraphrasing, but the gist of it is that if you create a new society founded on the principle of "Absolutely no witch-hunts ever," you're going to end up with a society populated by three principled libertarians and seventy-billion witches.  That's Parler.
IIRC our own @Maurile Tremblay has made this argument (though maybe he was quoting your guy?)
I've posted this article more than 30 times on here:

https://slatestarcodex.com/2017/05/01/neutral-vs-conservative-the-eternal-struggle/

2Squirrels1Nut said:
Trump has called the press the enemy of the people for 5 years. 
Trump's stance and rhetoric went way too far, but the nugget of truth that a for-profit press uses sensationalism and half-truths to generate greater revenue slows enough speeds of doubt that the "institution" as a whole lives under a cloud in most people's minds. 

Basically we haven't really trusted the media for decades anyway, so Trump just fanned those flames with a jet pack leaf blower.

IvanKaramazov said:
Actually, if you want to talk about censorship, Slatestarcodex would be a much better example.  This guy was targeted for cancellation by The New York Freaking Times of all people, a legacy media giant that seems really interested in burning its credibility these days.  He's light-years above the likes of Lin Wood (come on, man) in terms of intellectual quality.  And he's not even a conservative -- he got targeted for cancellation not so much for being right-wing as much as for being insufficiently woke.  

I'm still salty about that episode.
I don't think Scott would agree with that characterization.

He wasn't "targeted." He was going to be the subject of a complimentary article in the NYT about how his blog got a bunch of covid-related stuff right (wear masks!) before it became the consensus.

The beef arose when Scott learned that they were going to use his real name in the article, which he was completely opposed to because he's a practicing psychiatrist in his day job and didn't want patients to be able to associate him with the blog. The NYT was offensively dumb in refusing to let him maintain his pseudonymity ("it's our inviolate policy even though we've made exceptions before!"), so he took down the blog, saying, "Have fun publishing an article about a blog that no longer exists." The NYT article was never published. Meanwhile, Scott has been arranging to structure his day job so that he'll no longer treat patients directly and it won't matter whether he's outed. The blog should reopen soon on substack.

I don't think it had anything to do with insufficient wokeness.

we haven't really trusted the media for decades anyway
:shrug:

I trust most main-stream media sources.

It does not mean they get everything right, but it means that I trust they have processes in place to vet stories/sources, and mechanisms for correcting mistakes when they do get things wrong.

If you (generically) don't trust the media, its probably because you (generically) don't like what they are saying.

Trump's stance and rhetoric went way too far, but the nugget of truth that a for-profit press uses sensationalism and half-truths to generate greater revenue slows enough speeds of doubt that the "institution" as a whole lives under a cloud in most people's minds. 

Basically we haven't really trusted the media for decades anyway, so Trump just fanned those flames with a jet pack leaf blower.
Huh?  Who are you talking about?  

Godsbrother said:
I understand concern over the power that Twitter and Other social media sites have but when you sign up to use these services you agree to abide by their rules or face suspension or removal.

Trump was warned countless times that he was violating the terms of agreement.  This past few weeks he has been way over the line and they did the right thing morally and ethically.

They also did the right thing from a liability standpoint.  It would not surprise me at all if the family of the police officer that was killed filed a wrongful death suit and named Twitter as on of the defendants 
This is the conservative spin I don’t get. 

I thought classical conservatism was less regulation, more free market. Yet here we are where conservatives don’t want businesses to move freely and they want the govt to be involved. 

What am I missing here???

stlrams said:
In 2021 we have the following permanent bans

Lin wood, Dan bongino, jack Angeli, Sidney Powell, Michael Flynn,  Sidney Powell, Gary coby,  Ben garrison.  Steve Brannon etc etc.  you can review the list yourself in Wikipedia.  There no left leaning accounts banned.  Gee I wonder why?
Because they aren’t breaking the TOS?  Am I missing something?

IvanKaramazov said:
Actually, if you want to talk about censorship, Slatestarcodex would be a much better example.  This guy was targeted for cancellation by The New York Freaking Times of all people, a legacy media giant that seems really interested in burning its credibility these days.  He's light-years above the likes of Lin Wood (come on, man) in terms of intellectual quality.  And he's not even a conservative -- he got targeted for cancellation not so much for being right-wing as much as for being insufficiently woke.  

I'm still salty about that episode.
I don’t know about this, where can I read?

stlrams said:
Let me know if you find any left leaning accounts calling for be heading of the VP. Hope this helps..

stlrams said:
So there are zero right leaning Twitter accounts that promote violence vs liberal activities, right?

Users who are viewing this thread