What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Twitter permanently bans Trump (1 Viewer)

I belong to a closed Facebook group that’s just AZ Dems sharing memes. That’s all we do, just to blow off steam and laugh. We’re getting memes taken down and ban warnings for memes making fun of the insurrectionists if they contain any factual error even in jest. Hopefully this will slightly alleviate the victim complex for some

I belong to a closed Facebook group that’s just AZ Dems sharing memes. That’s all we do, just to blow off steam and laugh. We’re getting memes taken down and ban warnings for memes making fun of the insurrectionists if they contain any factual error even in jest. Hopefully this will slightly alleviate the victim complex for some
Hopefully they also removed any memes with women in yoga pants.  Bunch of perverts.

It’s amazing to me the conservatives who are up in arms about this banning and Parlor being deplatformed when just a month ago Trump was fighting to try to get all social media banned by trying to repeal section 230 (let’s not also forget he tried to ban TikTok because they embarrassed him at one of his rallies). Literally 10 days ago he tweeted that it needed to be removed. 

NEW: Stripe Inc. will no longer process payments for Pres. Trump’s campaign website following last week’s Capitol riot.

If you have done much web development you would recognize Stripe as one of the leading software credit-card payment processors.  Just another company that wants no part of the post-presidency Trump family.

NEW: Stripe Inc. will no longer process payments for Pres. Trump’s campaign website following last week’s Capitol riot.

If you have done much web development you would recognize Stripe as one of the leading software credit-card payment processors.  Just another company that wants no part of the post-presidency Trump family.
Whoa.  I don't know how many options there are in the space now, but I know Stripe is huge.  And IIRC from my occasionally adjacent work life, it's not like flipping as switch to change vendors.  If others followed suit it would impact them for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why? I kind of feel bad for them. I’m not quite sure why Parler has become the boogeyman here.
Mostly a "how dare I have to reap what I sow" kind of moment. He runs a business where the primary goal is to be a haven for the type of speech that other businesses shun. Here's my shocked face that he's going to have trouble finding other companies that want to do business with him. 

Mostly a "how dare I have to reap what I sow" kind of moment. He runs a business where the primary goal is to be a haven for the type of speech that other businesses shun. Here's my shocked face that he's going to have trouble finding other companies that want to do business with him. 
The other business don’t shun it. They profit off it and then ban when they have to in order to cover their butts.

The insurrection event was largely planned on Twitter and Facebook, yet little Parler gets the blame. A Parler-only event would get 250 people 

• Thinking
Reactions: JAA
The other business don’t shun it. They profit off it.

The insurrection event was largely planned on Twitter and Facebook, yet little Parler gets the blame. A Parler-only event would get 250 people 
You won't see disagreement from me on Twitter and Facebook being a bigger problem. However, Parler is also explicitly the worst of the worst, and wanted to capture that demographic. Top that off with no moderation strategy and you're doomed. It's just never been a profitable business model -- voat closed down this year after trying to be "free speech" reddit where you could post all of the borderline illegal stuff you wanted. 

Here's hoping the big tech companies get some comeuppance in the coming years as well.

You won't see disagreement from me on Twitter and Facebook being a bigger problem. However, Parler is also explicitly the worst of the worst, and wanted to capture that demographic. Top that off with no moderation strategy and you're doomed. It's just never been a profitable business model -- voat closed down this year after trying to be "free speech" reddit where you could post all of the borderline illegal stuff you wanted. 

Here's hoping the big tech companies get some comeuppance in the coming years as well.
Parler sucks. But if people are on board with them literally being de-platformed and destroyed in two days, but are cool with nothing happening to the big boys, it’s hypocrisy.

The Q movement grew and flourished on Twitter, Facebook and especially YouTube (google). Their hypocrisy is abhorrent.

The big boys are FAR worse than Parler btw.

Parler sucks. But if people are on board with them literally being de-platformed and destroyed in two days, but are cool with nothing happening to the big boys, it’s hypocrisy.

The Q movement grew and flourished on Twitter, Facebook and especially YouTube (google). Their hypocrisy is abhorrent.
What would you do if you were in charge?

Also re: Parler (to get into  :tinfoilhat: territory here) -- I don't really believe they're an honest attempt at a company. I think there's a reasonable chance that it essentially exists as a data farm for right-wing politics, with no real aim of ever being more and with the ultimate goal being to further divide people and hit them with targeted misinformation. The founder/CEO is recently married to some Russian lady he met while she was on vacation in Vegas, the money largely comes from the Mercers (of Cambridge Analytica fame), and from what I've read the initial user during early alpha testing correlates pretty well with Twitter bots/accounts that are suspected to be part of Russian disinformation campaigns. I'm just not going to be very sad if/when this becomes the end of Parler, I guess.

While I might have some sympathy for parler I have none for Trump against Twitter and Facebook.  It was just a few weeks ago he wouldn't sign a bill to finance the military because he was mad no one else would join him in trying to put them out of business. You reap what you sow. 

Capitalism at its finest

TeamTrump literally said “we are moving to Parler”.  And they did. And they are planning more. Look at the screen caps.

Yikes. That’s not going to help fundraising. 

The different is the “big boys” are trying to be better. Parler is not. Parler is trying to be an alternative where nothing is moderated. Many businesses don’t want to be a part of that. I don’t see what’s the issue here is. Free market gotta free :shrug:

It’s amazing to me the conservatives who are up in arms about this banning and Parlor being deplatformed when just a month ago Trump was fighting to try to get all social media banned by trying to repeal section 230 (let’s not also forget he tried to ban TikTok because they embarrassed him at one of his rallies). Literally 10 days ago he tweeted that it needed to be removed. 

While I might have some sympathy for parler I have none for Trump against Twitter and Facebook.  It was just a few weeks ago he wouldn't sign a bill to finance the military because he was mad no one else would join him in trying to put them out of business. You reap what you sow. 
Yep. Trump made social media the enemy and they fought back.

• Smile

You are acting like something was done to Parler by the government.  If AWS decides to drop Parler and Facebook then I have no problem with that but I also have no problem with it just being FB or Parler.  They had a dumb business model and are getting burned for it.

I think Twitter needs to do a better job of moderation.  There are other accounts that spew hate that haven't been banned.  

That being said, that's a different discussion for a different time.  Banning the President that just inspired an insurrection and continues to put fuel on the fire seems like a pretty reasonable move.  His followers are on Twitter and Parler tweeting about what's next.  They're proud of what they've done.  I've seen some people say "You haven't seen anything yet."

I think at this point we all have a duty to stand up for Democracy and prevent recurrences of this.  Twitter is doing it's part.

Going to take the crazy stance that I have no sympathy for parler.  Maybe don't be a platform that wants to have the worst people in the world to be your customers.  Still sick to my stomach about what all of those traitors did last week. Not to mention the "people" wearing shirts celebrating the murder of millions of Jews. 

So the PGA pulled its PGA Championship from Trump's course at Bedminster, the R&A, not to be out done, decided to announce they won't be using Trump's course at Turnberry (even though there are no scheduled Open's at Turnberry):

Martin Slumbers, Chief Executive of The R&A:

“We had no plans to stage any of our championships at Turnberry and will not do so in the foreseeable future. We will not return until we are convinced that the focus will be on the championship, the players and the course itself and we do not believe that is achievable in the current circumstances.”

So the PGA pulled its PGA Championship from Trump's course at Bedminster, the R&A, not to be out done, decided to announce they won't be using Trump's course at Turnberry (even though there are no scheduled Open's at Turnberry):

Martin Slumbers, Chief Executive of The R&A:

“We had no plans to stage any of our championships at Turnberry and will not do so in the foreseeable future. We will not return until we are convinced that the focus will be on the championship, the players and the course itself and we do not believe that is achievable in the current circumstances.”
man thats just like bad ex girlfriend territory right there i fully expect a release from the pga later today declaring that they never really liked trump anyhow and that he has bad breath take that to the bank brohans 

• Smile
AAABatteries said:
You are acting like something was done to Parler by the government.  If AWS decides to drop Parler and Facebook then I have no problem with that but I also have no problem with it just being FB or Parler.  They had a dumb business model and are getting burned for it.
I never said it was the government?  Amazon felt like they suddenly had the ability to drop them. If in 2-3 days, a business can basically be destroyed by Big Tech, that should scare you.

Especially when that business literally broke no laws.  AWS decided to boot them, and essentially took them down quickly.  

A ton of power has now been given to these big companies, and anyone that decides to put their business in the cloud just got a taste of the risks involved in doing that.  If they decide to drop you, what can you do? Your business collapses.

I'm still surprised folks think this is about anything other than money.  I'm totally unwilling to give Twitter, Facebook and others the benefit of the doubt on this.  It stands to reason if Parler could startup (and quickly) and get a ton of users then a heavily moderated competitor could do the same.  I'm not sure how I would have handled it - the entrepreneur side of me thinks I would most likely create a the equivalent of the PSF on my platform and make Donald's feed be there. 

I am sympathetic to the argument that AWS, which is literally a critical backbone to the internet is different than free speech communities like Twitter. I’ve seen a quote today from the ACLU expressing the same. 

I just think it’s funny, because conservatives haven’t historically agreed with me about expanding the definition of public utilities. I realize that Trump has changed all those rules. That there really isn’t a party championing “conservative” political opinions anymore. Just one devoted to airing grievances and owning libs. 

• Smile
I never said it was the government?  Amazon felt like they suddenly had the ability to drop them. If in 2-3 days, a business can basically be destroyed by Big Tech, that should scare you.

Especially when that business literally broke no laws.  AWS decided to boot them, and essentially took them down quickly.  

A ton of power has now been given to these big companies, and anyone that decides to put their business in the cloud just got a taste of the risks involved in doing that.  If they decide to drop you, what can you do? Your business collapses.
I'm not sure this is 100% fair.  If they have a contract with Amazon and didn't violate the terms of that contract, then they can sue Amazon for breach of contract.  If they did violate the terms, then it's hard to get too upset with Amazon.

As far as "what can you do", what they should have done (and all companies should do) was develop and implement a comprehensive business continuity plan.  What if Amazon was hacked or experienced a massive DDOS attack?  Was Parler prepared for that?  If no, why not?

Even as someone who agrees Trump should have been banned - or a received a lengthy suspension - from Twitter this is a difficult issue.

It seems to me that various leaders in the EU don't necessarily have a problem with Trump (or anyone) being banned but by how this decision is reached. 

Complex and difficult topic. 

If I felt that AWS dropped them without breaking their TOS then I totally agree with you - but I don't think that's the case.  You said something should happen to the others - if they aren't breaking TOS then what do you want done?

The reason I said government is because government should be "fair" - I'm not sure that as long as we consider AWS something other than a utility that we can do anything about it.  Could be a decent argument for it - I'm assuming the power company can't turn off electricity to the Blank Panthers or KKK.

• Smile
If I felt that AWS dropped them without breaking their TOS then I totally agree with you - but I don't think that's the case.  You said something should happen to the others - if they aren't breaking TOS then what do you want done?

The reason I said government is because government should be "fair" - I'm not sure that as long as we consider AWS something other than a utility that we can do anything about it.  Could be a decent argument for it - I'm assuming the power company can't turn off electricity to the Blank Panthers or KKK.
No one forced Parler to use AWS, they chose to due to expediencey/cost considerations. If Parler wants to continue there are other options to replace the infrastructure they were renting from AWS. Use of AWS is not a right.

No one forced Parler to use AWS, they chose to due to expediencey/cost considerations. If Parler wants to continue there are other options to replace the infrastructure they were renting from AWS. Use of AWS is not a right.
Yep - I agree with you given how it's currently setup.  I just wonder if there's an argument for changing it.  Meaning - could/should computer infrastructure be viewed as a public utility.

Users who are viewing this thread