What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Protesters Set Up Guillotine In Front Of Jeff Bezos' Home? (1 Viewer)

What Do You Think Of This?

• Love it

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Like it

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • Don't like it

Votes: 31 28.7%
  • Hate it

Votes: 49 45.4%

• Total voters
I don't see an explanation for why they put it there.  My assumption is they are saying Bezos' head should be in there.  Assuming so, I voted "hate it".  If the guillotine is a metaphor for Amazon's work practices under COVID killing workers, I don't judge it as harshly. 

I don't see an explanation for why they put it there.  My assumption is they are saying Bezos' head should be in there.  Assuming so, I voted "hate it".  If the guillotine is a metaphor for Amazon's work practices under COVID killing workers, I don't judge it as harshly. 
My assumption is that it’s a reference to the French Revolution, when the people rose up against their privileged wealthy oppressors.

I assumed it was a reference to the French Revolution and therefore the former. 

I voted "hate it" too. Going after/threatening rich individuals is not going to fix wealth inequality in the country and just creates an unproductive narrative.

My assumption is that it’s a reference to the French Revolution, when the people rose up against their privileged wealthy oppressors.
Well yea. They murdered them. Do you think that is a productive way to have the conversation around wealth inequality in the country - by referencing an implement of murder against rich people?

would be mildly interested to hear the reasoning behind it, but would lean somewhere between meh and don't like it.

I don’t believe that a productive conversation will convince rich people to give up their wealth and power. 
Neither are veiled threats. No one (or very few) are going to voluntarily give up their wealth and power. I wouldn't if I had it. The problem is systemic and needs to be fixed at that level. JMHO

Neither are veiled threats. No one (or very few) are going to voluntarily give up their wealth and power. I wouldn't if I had it. The problem is systemic and needs to be fixed at that level. JMHO
Do you view it as a physical threat to Bezos's safety?  I think I'd agree with you if I did, but I see it much more as a political statement well within the bounds of political protest.

I don't see an explanation for why they put it there.  My assumption is they are saying Bezos' head should be in there.  
That would be my assumption as well. 
I guess I'll need to change my stance if this is how most people interpret it.  I view it as purely symbolic but I guess that's not widely shared.  It's not a good protest symbol if it is so misunderstood. 

Do you view it as a physical threat to Bezos's safety?  I think I'd agree with you if I did, but I see it much more as a political statement well within the bounds of political protest.
No. I don't believe that whoever did that, assuming it is true, is planning on murdering Jeff Bezos. But it can easily be spun that way which is why I said it was unproductive. Oh there's the crazy left/antifa/radical left/etc threatening violence again and then people stop listening, even the ones who may be convinced to your side. I didn't say it was illegal, just unproductive. I may be naive in this day and age but I just don't think winning hearts and minds to effectuate change is best done with violent imagery or implied threats. There's enough data and reasoned argument to be had on this topic without bringing in what I consider an emotional response rooted in anger.

There is no fear of consequence for the people making billions of dollars while not paying enough for their workers to live. They can just continue to do whatever they want while buying legislation that ensures that they continue to keep more money while everyone else starves. There is no end game that does not end poorly for either them or all other Americans, it is literally one or the other. How many jobs will be needed in 20 years, in 50 years, in 100 years? The American economy long term will be 20 trillionaires in gated castles while everyone else scrambles for scraps outside. Maybe a few people getting dragged to the gallows will make them realize that slightly higher taxes might not be the worst thing in the world compared to the alternative while there is still time to change things.

Or at least the fear it could happen. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would view it as a physical threat in the same way we viewed the Bubba Wallace noose thing last week when that story first came out.  
This is a good analogy and I think there's a lot to think about when comparing the two (let's assume the noose had actually been put there to send some sort of message).

Personally even though nooses and guillotines are both used to kill people I view them very differently due to the way they've been used historically.

I guess I'll need to change my stance if this is how most people interpret it.  I view it as purely symbolic but I guess that's not widely shared.  It's not a good protest symbol if it is so misunderstood. 
I do want to add a point that the French Revolution, while sometimes romanticized, was a pretty ugly and bloody time in history where there weren't many "good guys" on either side.

I do think inequity in wealth distribution is a serious problem, globally. I don't think we're at the guillotine stage yet though, I'd like to think reasoned discussion and compromise can still lead to improvement. I don't like the implied threat.

I am more concerned about targeting a private citizen and less concerned about the prop they used.

People bring weapons to protests all the time, and society basically shrugs its collective shoulders and acknowledges their right to do it. Why should a guillotine be considered any different than an AR-15-style weapon?

I didn't realize that could be a reason. I still voted "don't like it," because it is a harsh message to send, and it could clearly be taken the wrong way.

There is no fear of consequence for the people making billions of dollars while not paying enough for their workers to live. They can just continue to do whatever they want while buying legislation that ensures that they continue to keep more money while everyone else starves. There is no end game that does not end poorly for either them or all other Americans, it is literally one or the other. How many jobs will be needed in 20 years, in 50 years, in 100 years? The American economy long term will be 20 trillionairs in gated castles while everyone else scrambles for scraps outside. Maybe a few people getting dragged to the gallows will make them realize that slightly higher taxes might not be the worst thing in the world compared to the alternative while there is still time to change things.

Or at least the fear it could happen. 
Didn’t they make a movie about this? Except I think it was an orbiting satellite rather than gated castles.

I’m going to sound a little like Ayn Rand here but what has Bezos done except make all of our lives easier? He has created wealth, not just for himself, but for all of us. 

This is a good analogy and I think there's a lot to think about when comparing the two (let's assume the noose had actually been put there to send some sort of message).

Personally even though nooses and guillotines are both used to kill people I view them very differently due to the way they've been used historically.
I don't understand.

You wrote above, "My assumption is that it’s a reference to the French Revolution, when the people rose up against their privileged wealthy oppressors."

Bezos is the poster guy for wealthy.

I think in this case it's precisely like nooses and guillotines as they've been used historically. I'd say a message sent by setting up a guillotine in front of a super rich person's house is very similar to the intended message sent by displaying a noose to a black person. 

This is the problem though imo.   You might appreciate the nuance of what those protesters are trying to say, but most people won't.  I see it as similar to "Defund the Police".  These kinds of statements are fine for energizing those who already believe in the cause, but do little to draw in individuals who need a bit more convincing or perhaps lack awareness.  And how effective is a protest really if it fails to do the latter two things?

I don't understand.

You wrote above, "My assumption is that it’s a reference to the French Revolution, when the people rose up against their privileged wealthy oppressors."

Bezos is the poster guy for wealthy.

I think in this case it's precisely like nooses and guillotines as they've been used historically. I'd say a message sent by setting up a guillotine in front of a super rich person's house is very similar to the intended message sent by displaying a noose to a black person. 
What I mean is that this country has a history of black people being lynched that is scarily recent.  Lots of people alive today were around when lynchings were still going on.  That's an extremely fresh wound and a very powerful symbol in this country today.

There's no real history of the guillotine being used in the United States, and its most famous usage was in France over 200 years ago.  It's theatrics.  My initial reaction to the Bezos guillotine display was that it was more akin to a bunch of protesters getting together and throwing tea into Boston Harbor.  But hearing how other people view it has changed my mind on its effectiveness.

This is the problem though imo.   You might appreciate the nuance of what those protesters are trying to say, but most people won't.  I see it as similar to "Defund the Police".  These kinds of statements are fine for energizing those who already believe in the cause, but do little to draw in individuals who need a bit more convincing or perhaps lack awareness.  And how effective is a protest really if it fails to do the latter two things?
In any protest movement the people who attract the most attention are, inevitably, the extremists. This is then followed by those who oppose the movement focusing solely on the extremists in an attempt to demonize everyone who is protesting. The key to the success of any protest whether or not the general public accepts or rejects the demonizing attempt. 

I said for more than a year in this very forum that the best investment one could make over the next years is to be long guillotine futures.  Of course tongue in cheek but meant to describe the rhyming with history of the pendulum about to swing.

In any protest movement the people who attract the most attention are, inevitably, the extremists. This is then followed by those who oppose the movement focusing solely on the extremists in an attempt to demonize everyone who is protesting. The key to the success of any protest whether or not the general public accepts or rejects the demonizing attempt. 
1.  Just because the protesters are extreme doesn't mean their message has to be extreme.

2.  Following your generalization, wouldn't it be wise for a movement to focus on a more mainstream objective, to give the movement a better chance at surviving this demonization?

Well I've already backtracked a lot because it seems like the message isn't being made very clearly.  
I remember when I was in 6th grade I was going to do my History Day project on the guillotine and its use and symbolism during the French Revolultion. Our principal, who apparently decided to audit these projects (IIRC - not really revelant why she became involved), saw that such was my topic and immediately vetoed it. To credit my teacher, she actually went to bat for me and requested the principal reconsider but was just given the reply of "it's too violent."*

So, if a school principal isn't learned enough to understand the historical symbolism of the device, I don't think the average citizen should be assumed to as well - which makes this a poor choice for symbolism in this instance as 95% of people won't get it. 

*I just switched my topic to Robsepierre and talked a #### ton about the guillotine.  

Jeff Bezos has done a lot to make my life as a consumer easier, and I am rather grateful to him for that.

I assume he'll become a prolific philanthropist in his retirement; but even if he doesn't, he's already done a great deal to improve life on this planet for a huge number of us who reside here.

I would be against murdering him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread