What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (4 Viewers)

7.13 The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring- GOAT movie based on Book/Novel

The mind of Tolkien created a masterpiece which did truly kick off a cultural phenomenon beloved by all. and Peter Jackson does an amazing job bringing Tolkien's middle earth to life. It kicks off the journey of our heroes in a quest to save Middle Earth. It is beautiful, packed, and epic, and delivers on every level.

Didn't see that pick.  No - as I've never seen that movie.  
Arnold's breakout film as a movie star, not terrible but not all that great when it came out, but as I said in my write-up, I think when you catch some of the back story and I can't go on enough about the cast, it should be appreciated more now, like wine or scotch.

Eisenberg played that dooshy F-you part so well.  
Yep and the special effects were low key  fantastic. The Winklevoss twins both played by Armie Hammer is flawless.

I'm 6'5", 220, and there's two of me.

Somehow casting Justin Timberlake in the perfect role at the perfect time of his career. 

And the scary prescience of it

You write your snide bull#### from a dark room because that's what the angry do nowadays

Last edited by a moderator:
7.13 The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring- GOAT movie based on Book/Novel

The mind of Tolkien created a masterpiece which did truly kick off a cultural phenomenon beloved by all. and Peter Jackson does an amazing job bringing Tolkien's middle earth to life. It kicks off the journey of our heroes in a quest to save Middle Earth. It is beautiful, packed, and epic, and delivers on every level.
I strongly approve of the category you have put this in!

For me this is the best Comedy of all time, re-watched recently with the whole family and it is still fantastic

7.12 Some Like it Hot - 1959 Comedy 
Holds up over a half century later. 

I LOVE the comebacks.  Type-O.  Sheboygan finishing school for girls. 

And my favorite a throw away that cracks me up every time. 

"I bet he even has a BICYCLE!"

Bike horn blowing as Tony Curtis rides by and waves.

"Why I'll be.  He DOES have a bicycle."

Sidney Pollack said it was the 'perfect' set-up with them on a train with an all-girl band and Marilyn Monroe.  He said it was like 'catnip'.  No other movie has ever created that sort of perfection.

:tebow: GOAT comedy. :bow:

Being on the West coast and waking up to a flurry of picks that I had topping my lists.....damn Cuckoo's Nest and Wonka....

I have the 4 picks at the turn after EY so I will check back in a little bit to see if he picked.  Just putting that out there so he can either stick around or send me a pick for his 8th too.  
Which means I probably screwed up taking The Social Network over Some Like It Hot. I should have flipped that order. 

This really is one of the great exchanges in movie history:

Rawlins: Look, gosh darn it! The whole world gotta stomp on your face?

Trip: , you better get your hands off me!

Rawlins: Ain't no s around here! Understand?

Trip: Oh, I see, so the white man give you a couple a stripes, and suddenly you start hollerin' and orderin' everybody around, like you the massa himself! , you ain't nothin' but the white man's dog!

[He starts to walk away, Rawlins stops him and slaps him]

Rawlins: And what are you? So full of hate you want to go out and fight everybody! Because you've been whipped and chased by hounds. Well that might not be living, but it sure as hell ain't dying. And dying's been what these white boys have been doing for going on three years now! Dying by the thousands! Dying for *you*, fool! I know, 'cause I dug the graves. And all this time I keep askin' myself, when, O Lord, when it's gonna be our time? Gonna come a time when we all gonna hafta ante up. Ante up and kick in like men. LIKE MEN! You watch who you call a ! If there's any s around here, it's YOU. Just a smart-mouthed, stupid-###, swamp-runnin' ! And if you not careful, that's all you ever gonna be!

The old-time radio fan in me also acknowledges his contribution to that medium with his always high-production Lux Radio Theater, which adapted current popular movies and stage shows into radio dramas, often featuring the actual actors from each to reprise their roles.

@wikkidpissah says art is us arguing with the gods, and Cecil B. did so on an epic scale, pushing the art of filmmaking forward in the process.  Whether one thinks he was just in the right place at the right time or was the right man for that place and time, everyone will agree that Cecil went all-out and it's no wonder he rose to the status he achieved. I won't say that any successive movie directors owe their careers to him, but he definitely played a big part in building the medium where they found their calling.  He is at worst a founding father of the movie industry, at best he's woven into the entire DNA of Hollywood and all that it has influenced.  'Legendary' may not be big enough of a word to describe him.
yeah, i always want to invest in things that trouble the gods before they trouble or entertain me. whether it stabs the clouds is how i measure art and CB did too, tho from a very different angle

yeah, i always want to invest in things that trouble the gods before they trouble or entertain me. whether it stabs the clouds is how i measure art and CB did too, tho from a very different angle
I'd say he was trying to show that we could create a vision that the gods themselves would be jealous of. And make a buttload of money in the process.

7.10 - Grace Kelly - Legendary movie star - girl...no, WOMAN

Even if she was a terrible actress, which she was the opposite of, she's still the most magnificent creature ever created. 

Good...heavens!

"Can someone get me a towel?"

"Hollywood amuses me. Holier-than-thou for the public and unholier-than-the-devil in reality."

"I hated Hollywood. It's a town without pity. I know of no other place in the world where so many people suffer from nervous breakdowns, where there are so many alcoholics, neurotics, and so much unhappiness."

"Mr. Hitchcock taught me everything about cinema. It was thanks to him that I understood that murder scenes should be shot like love scenes and love scenes like murder scenes."

"What else is there to do if you're alone in a tent in Africa with Clark Gable?"
I actually don’t think she’s that bad an actor. She mostly played herself but not everyone does that OK. I would rank her as a better actor than my pick, Marilyn. Neither as good as Audrey IMO. 

I actually don’t think she’s that bad an actor. She mostly played herself but not everyone does that OK. I would rank her as a better actor than my pick, Marilyn. Neither as good as Audrey IMO. 
That doesn't read well as I wrote it. I meant to say that even if she couldn't act she'd still be top of my list for her beauty and presence. But she COULD act, and act well, so she ranks even higher in the category.

I'll have to admit, though, that Audrey is the better actress.

I had a different pick typed up, then audibled myself again.

7.14 - Glory - Historical Drama (may switch later)

I hope my original selection survives the turn.
Such a great movie. 
I’ve often thought that if I were a Hollywood screenwriter I would pitch the story of the WWII 442 division (all American Japanese, most highly decorated division in army history). It’s basically the same story as Glory, only a WWII version with the NIsei. 

For Mrs. R:

7.16: Courtroom drama - Judgment at Nuremberg

8.01:  Suspense - Double Indemnity
Two amazing picks here as well. 

Judgment at Nuremberg (which was originally a TV movie with a different cast BTW) is still the best thing I’ve ever seen about the moral  responsibility of good people when confronted with evil. The judge (I won’t spotlight here) says at the end to the accused, your guilt is greater than theirs because you knew better. Such a profound message and as important now as it was then. 

Double Indemnity is such a great Noir film. I love the shots of old Glendale at the start. The two actors (again won’t spotlight though they may not be big enough stars to be drafted on any all time list of under 20 names) were just so good...

Users who are viewing this thread