What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (1 Viewer)

“Can I get you something?”

“'S'mofo butter layin' me to da' BONE! Jackin' me up... tight me!”

“I'm sorry, I don't understand.”

“Cutter say he can't HANG!”

“Oh, stewardess ...”

9.06: Airplane!, Comedy Film
Yeah, some of the jokes that were based on commercials at the time are a little dated. 

But it seems like every time I watch it again, I see something funny that I hadn't noticed before.

Even the stuff going on in the background is often hilarious.

"Stewardess, is everything all right?"  "Yes, just relax and watch the film and enjoy the rest of your flight on Trans American"

(Passenger watches the film which shows a plane crashing and becoming a ball of fire in slow motion)

:lmao: :D :lmao: :D   Gets me every time.

I didn't "get" There Will Be Blood. :shrug:
I liked the first half despite the weird, distracting music.

Then the second half turns into a big WTF?

After Magnolia and this, I started really disliking PT Anderson films.

Which is only compounded by so many saying how great they all are.  :rant:

Her link to Stanwyck's ninth film is so ahead of its time that it blew me away.  I don't know how to describe her because she seemed to burst out fully formed from the start.  

When I was a kid she was old and on TV.  I never knew her early body of work until about the last decade.

What a star.
Stanwyck is great. When Tim said earlier in the draft that Scarlett O’Hara in Gone with the Wind was the strongest female character on screen up to that time and I strongly disagreed with that, there were some earlier Stanwyck roles that I had in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
9.13 There will be blood- Best film of the 2000s

Simply one of my all time favorites. It is so pleasing visually. So original. It’s a cinematic masterpiece. Movies like this are why I go to the theater
And there it is.   After No Country went, this is the one that I thought would hurt the most if I didn't get of the other 3-4 that I had written down.   My favorite of the decade, but I skipped it because like Kane it's one that people grumble about a bit, and there are 2 others I have written down that I think are awesome too.  

Great pick. 

It's fair, I was shocked by your Blanchett pick and I probably need to put some more respect on her name. 
I was surprised by the Blanchett pick also and I really like her.  I think she is the perfect example of why splitting actors and movie stars into different categories was smart.  She is a gifted actress but I wouldn't consider her a "movie star" the way I do Julia Roberts.

I love this movie, and have fond memories and it's a legendary comedy, but I showed my three daughters (16-22) earlier in the year and they were like WTF... I wonder if its a guy thing or just a certain era in time?
Probably a certain era.  My mom and I still quote this movie to each other frequently.

Considering we don't have to judge statistics across eras and Gally is muted by pairing ;) , I can judge the Teen Movie section if one wishes. Wrote a large paper on themes in teen movies back in 1996 for a Music, Market, and Youth Culture class. Sounds like a blow off until you realize you've watched about eleven or twelve movies and have to concoct a serious paper about them.

If you knew the amount of people I have to do the thinking for, you wouldn't be surprised that this is my form of escapism. 

And one of my selections just got a like from @krista4 ....so put that in your smike and pope it!
:lmao:   I’ve been a little inconsistent in my likes, but Fargo is so great I had to acknowledge it, no matter what category you put it in.

Considering we don't have to judge statistics across eras and Gally is muted by pairing ;) , I can judge the Teen Movie section if one wishes. Wrote a large paper on themes in teen movies back in 1996 for a Music, Market, and Youth Culture class. Sounds like a blow off until you realize you've watched about eleven or twelve movies and have to concoct a serious paper about them.
Got you down - thanks

Since we are on the topic of judges - we have about 20% covered so need some more.  Lots to choose from.

@wikkidpissah @krista4 @prosopis @Osaurus  @Man of Constant Sorrow  @Walking Boot @simey

Trying to tag a few folks from the Movie Club thread.
A few questions

- By the time we finish 50 rounds, I am supposed to have 1 nomination from each category, right?  If I screw up and have multiple nominations in the same category, I assume I only get points for my highest scoring entry?

- Since we have different judges for different categories, I assume scoring will be the same for all 50 categories? 10 points for best in the category, 1 point for the worst.  If we don't have uniform scoring, some categories are going to be weighted more than others (which may be what we want, I dunno).

- Obviously we can move our choices around to different categories as we go, but is there a cutoff, say like after 45 rounds?

- By the time we finish 50 rounds, I am supposed to have 1 nomination from each category, right?  If I screw up and have multiple nominations in the same category, I assume I only get points for my highest scoring entry?
That's what the spreadsheet is for, GB :D  

- Since we have different judges for different categories, I assume scoring will be the same for all 50 categories? 10 points for best in the category, 1 point for the worst.  If we don't have uniform scoring, some categories are going to be weighted more than others (which may be what we want, I dunno).
With 16 drafters, it appears that each category will be scored from 16 points down to 1 point. Scoring will be the same for all 50 categories.

If anybody wants me to, I am open to judging a variety of the categories.

I was close to volunteering to be in the draft, but it was too many categories for me.
Absolutely - do you have any that you feel is in your wheelhouse?  There's still like 35-40 categories open. 

Here's a link to the Judging tab of the Draft spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bxwt9ZVS5-AFc8F5sqSG_TFHniIurmjIfk33PhVYlyY/edit#gid=1479977486

It shows the categories and what is still left open.  Feel free to reply here or you may be able to edit it yourself.

That's what the spreadsheet is for, GB :D  

With 16 drafters, it appears that each category will be scored from 16 points down to 1 point. Scoring will be the same for all 50 categories.
Yep - there's a tab specfically so you can view your picks and what categories you have open - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bxwt9ZVS5-AFc8F5sqSG_TFHniIurmjIfk33PhVYlyY/edit#gid=1212852648

And that's correct - points are awarded 16 down to 1 based on the judges rankings.

As for cutoff on moving picks - it's not been discussed.  I was going to suggest something early on like you can only move a pick once but decided this is for fun and we shouldn't have too many "rules".  My take is as long as you only take 1 per category you can move stuff around as much as you want.  The only issue for you would be not to get too cute as you may screw up your potential points by having to stick a movie in a category where it doesn't fit.

Obviously meant for @TheWinz

If you knew the amount of people I have to do the thinking for, you wouldn't be surprised that this is my form of escapism. 

And one of my selections just got a like from @krista4 ....so put that in your smike and pope it!
LOL

I fully get the first part, and I come off as a movie snob, but there is no right answer to this and how people should think about and enjoy movies.  I will be honest - I didn't love TWWB the first time I watched it either.  

I was surprised by the Blanchett pick also and I really like her.  I think she is the perfect example of why splitting actors and movie stars into different categories was smart.  She is a gifted actress but I wouldn't consider her a "movie star" the way I do Julia Roberts.
What I personally have trouble with is the separating the style of acting in the older movies vs. now.   I tend to gravitate to newer actors as "best" because sometimes the mono-tone rat-a-rat style of dialogue and acting in the old movies blends together for me.   

I don’t think I’ll have the time, but if you get desperate closer to when you’ve completed the draft, I might step in.  In any case, I’ll find the time necessary to make fun of other judges.
I’m kidding about the last bit.  Having judged in a lot of tim drafts, I appreciate everyone who does.

I’m kidding about the last bit.  Having judged in a lot of tim drafts, I appreciate everyone who does.
No doubt a hard task if you want to be fair.  Especially in something like this that is subjective and in theory we are already talking about the top movies of a decade or genre.  You are splitting a lot of hairs.  

I vaguely remember judging something in the past - maybe horror movies or docs - and tried my best to give a reason/scoring, but damn was it tough.  

No doubt a hard task if you want to be fair.  Especially in something like this that is subjective and in theory we are already talking about the top movies of a decade or genre.  You are splitting a lot of hairs.  

I vaguely remember judging something in the past - maybe horror movies or docs - and tried my best to give a reason/scoring, but damn was it tough.  
I’ve never judged before, and I can see it being tough. I’m starting to develop my personal list on the categories that I volunteered for to get ahead a bit (and will force me to completely forget about draft position). But it’s not like anyone is going to be drafting Hans Moleman’s Football in the Groin (although maybe the equivalent of A Burns for All Seasons is already gone).

Oh, you can't mute me just by giving me a partner...hahaha.   Just don't come up with some convoluted scoring system that would make the movie equivalent of the all time NFL interception leader 15th for secondary players....hahahahaha

Oh, you can't mute me just by giving me a partner...hahaha.   Just don't come up with some convoluted scoring system that would make the movie equivalent of the all time NFL interception leader 15th for secondary players....hahahahaha
I actually have a spreadsheet set-up for easy judging. You just enter the movie's box office numbers, Oscar nominations, Ebert stars and IMDB score and the spreadsheet gives you a definitive and indisputable score for every movie. 

Categories aren't perfect but that is the charm of the Tim draft I suppose. Ultimately, the dramas will mostly end up in the decade categories. 
Yep - and don't get me wrong, not a knock on Tim, he does a great job getting these going and usually running them.  I've just been looking at some lists and there's a lot of really good movies left but frequently I get to one on the list and struggle to find a spot for it because it's a drama - so figure it would go in to the  Decade slots like you said.

I actually have a spreadsheet set-up for easy judging. You just enter the movie's box office numbers, Oscar nominations, Ebert stars and IMDB score and the spreadsheet gives you a definitive and indisputable score for every movie. 
Damn it!.  I haven't been checking the Ebert scores.  I hope it doesn't cost us.

Users who are viewing this thread