Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1975 #1. Bohemian Rhapsody


Recommended Posts

On 9/9/2020 at 8:14 AM, timschochet said:

95. KC and the Sunshine Band “Get Down Tonight” (from KC and the Sunshine Band

https://youtu.be/LHEsE9yN2CY

Do a little dance 

Make a little love

The song begins with with a funky guitar flourish that Eddie Floyd might admire before settling into a classic disco groove. Nice use of horns too. 

Unfortunately, KC &SB released several more songs with about the same tune and just different lyrics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, timschochet said:

89. Queen “‘39” (from A Night At the Opera)

https://youtu.be/kE8kGMfXaFU

This lovely tune was written and sung by Brian May, and it has an interesting story: a group of space travelers leave earth for what they think is a day, returning to find that 100 years have passed and all their loved ones are long dead. 
May, a pretty brilliant guy, had studied astrophysics in college and was fascinated by time relativity. In the 2000s May acquired a doctorate in astrophysics. 

They were gone for a year from their perspective ("for so many years have gone, though I'm older but a year").

Edited by Joe Summer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

probably paid $5 in advance/$6 day of the show for all of them

 

My older brother, who probably deserves an episode of Hoarders devoted to his life, informs me via text this morning those Bad Company tickets were $5.50 ($6.50 the day of the show.) I asked him if he still had the ticket stub and he replied, "Yeah, somewhere, but trust me, I knew where every nickel was going the first year I was married."

:lmao:

19 with a Newborn would have been a cool band name.

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

86. Fleetwood Mac “Over My Head” (from Fleetwood Mac

https://youtu.be/UXWia0TWAMM

Rock historians who discuss this album typically note the addition of Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks to the band, and how that changed popular music, but as important as that was, it ignores the emergence of Christine McVie as an incredibly gifted songwriter and smooth vocalist. Seemingly out of nowhere she recorded one timeless classic after another, beginning with this gem. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, zamboni said:

Good song but I could think of half a dozen better songs off the album alone.

Yeah this countdown has been underwhelming so far. Not sure if it's tim (no offense) or the year but while we've seen some solid songs, there's been nothing all that special yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

85. Wings “Venus and Mars/Rock Show” (from Venus and Mars

https://youtu.be/lNn5Q7H-FeA

Paul McCartney sure loves his medleys. This is a great one. On the album it was presented as two separate songs but the single version merged them together with some editing. 
Denny Laine was an underrated lead guitarist; Wings is actually a pretty good band (though I was never quite sure what Linda was doing.) 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, timschochet said:

88. Carole King “Pierre” (from Really Rosie

https://youtu.be/hCEBLHd0v6I

Who could have known that a children’s song from a television special could be Carole King’s best work since Tapestry? Brilliantly taking a rather bizarre Maurice Sendak tale (actually that describes most of his work) she adds wonderful melody and lyrics and a terrific performance as well. 

I had this record as a child. This was the big "message song," though I like the title track better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Yeah this countdown has been underwhelming so far. Not sure if it's tim (no offense) or the year but while we've seen some solid songs, there's been nothing all that special yet.

Started off decently but fell off a cliff.   Was this year that bad for music?   Thankfully I was too young to remember.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Started off decently but fell off a cliff.   Was this year that bad for music?   Thankfully I was too young to remember.  

Physical Graffiti was released, though something tells me that might not be Tim's cup of tea. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Physical Graffiti was released, though something tells me that might not be Tim's cup of tea. 

no, he picked a Zep song (and not Stairway) for his #1 of 1971, tho i believe he had originally chosen "Me & You & and Dog Named Boo" for the top spot and got shamed out of it

1975 was the definitive low tide of rock. Prog was dead, disco took over and put a LOT of working local musicians out of work, smileyface production values were turning everything into yacht rock and punk was more tude than tune yet

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Physical Graffiti was released, though something tells me that might not be Tim's cup of tea. 

From the list So far it looks like the whole album belongs on the list.    This is no knock on Tim.  It’s the music.   

It’s  still a fun read and the music will improve.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

84. Bob Dylan “Hurricane” (released as a single) 

https://youtu.be/bpZvg_FjL3Q

This song was originally released in November of 1975, and then later added to Dylan’s 1976 album, Desire. It was written as a benefit to help free Rubin Carter; of course anyone who has seen the Denzel Washington film (highly recommended) knows that didn’t happen until nearly two decades later. 
I reviewed “Hurricane” on my list of Dylan’s 100 best songs. It certainly belonged on that list but I had it relatively low because I thought the lyrics were unusually blunt and lacked the poetry of his greater efforts (a few of them will be coming up on this list). But it’s still a very good, epic tune. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DocHolliday said:

Started off decently but fell off a cliff.   Was this year that bad for music?   Thankfully I was too young to remember.  

There are more than 100 worthwhile songs from this year. I think Tim's last few selections are going to crowd some more worthy tunes out of this list.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, timschochet said:

86. Fleetwood Mac “Over My Head” (from Fleetwood Mac

https://youtu.be/UXWia0TWAMM

Rock historians who discuss this album typically note the addition of Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks to the band, and how that changed popular music, but as important as that was, it ignores the emergence of Christine McVie as an incredibly gifted songwriter and smooth vocalist. Seemingly out of nowhere she recorded one timeless classic after another, beginning with this gem. 

I always found Christine McVie to be significantly more talented than Stevie Nicks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I reviewed “Hurricane” on my list of Dylan’s 100 best songs.

I didn’t know you did a Dylan list. I wonder what else I’ve missed along the way. Maybe you should think about updating your first or second post with links to your other lists. I’ve enjoyed all of the ones I’ve read.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, timschochet said:

86. Fleetwood Mac “Over My Head” (from Fleetwood Mac

https://youtu.be/UXWia0TWAMM

Rock historians who discuss this album typically note the addition of Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks to the band, and how that changed popular music, but as important as that was, it ignores the emergence of Christine McVie as an incredibly gifted songwriter and smooth vocalist. Seemingly out of nowhere she recorded one timeless classic after another, beginning with this gem. 

I suspect we'll see at least a few more off this album.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

83. Captain & Tennille “Love Will Keep Us Together” (from Love Will Keep Us Together

https://youtu.be/_QNEf9oGw8o

Written by Neil Sedaka. I was 9 years old throughout most of 1975, and if a 9 year old timschochet was making this list, this would have easily been the top song. And I still love it. 

Later on through the years I attended many Dodgers games where Toni Tennille sang the national anthem. She was a sweet lady and a great talent. But I’m not sure what the Captain was doing though. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

82. Bob Dylan “Simple Twist of Fate” (from Blood on the Tracks

https://youtu.be/oXlkwHECabU

The majority of songs on this album, which is either Dylan’s all time greatest work or one of his 3 best (along with Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde), depending on your preference, are devoted to the breakup of his marriage. As such this is a dark and depressing record with little room for optimism. “Simple Twist of Fate” is no exception, with lyrics like these: 

He woke up the room was bare

He didn’t see her anywhere

He told himself he didn’t care 

Pushed the window open wide 

Felt an emptiness inside 

It doesn’t get any cheerier. This is sad, despondent Bob. It’s also marvelous poetry. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, timschochet said:

83. Captain & Tennille “Love Will Keep Us Together” (from Love Will Keep Us Together

https://youtu.be/_QNEf9oGw8o

Written by Neil Sedaka. I was 9 years old throughout most of 1975, and if a 9 year old timschochet was making this list, this would have easily been the top song. And I still love it. 

Later on through the years I attended many Dodgers games where Toni Tennille sang the national anthem. She was a sweet lady and a great talent. But I’m not sure what the Captain was doing though. 

 

 

I recall that this was the #1 song from that year. :(

You still love it???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, timschochet said:

Of course. Not as much as when I was 9, naturally, but it still gives me a good feeling. 

Toni promised, even when his looks were gone and others would be turning tim off, she'd be turning tim on and, by God, he's holding her to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

81. Eagles “Take It to the Limit” (from One of These Nights

https://youtu.be/tJkW0Clsvrk

The link is to a live version from about 4 years ago at the Forum in Los Angeles, a concert I attended. It would turn out to be one of Glenn Frey’s last performances. 
This song was largely written by Randy Meisner, just before he left the band. Eagles at this time were moving away from the “Poco” sound of Meisner and Bernie Leadon, and towards the more classic hard rock of Joe Walsh. 

Edited by timschochet
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, timschochet said:

82. Bob Dylan “Simple Twist of Fate” (from Blood on the Tracks

https://youtu.be/oXlkwHECabU

The majority of songs on this album, which is either Dylan’s all time greatest work or one of his 3 best (along with Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde), depending on your preference, are devoted to the breakup of his marriage. As such this is a dark and depressing record with little room for optimism. “Simple Twist of Fate” is no exception, with lyrics like these: 

He woke up the room was bare

He didn’t see her anywhere

He told himself he didn’t care 

Pushed the window open wide 

Felt an emptiness inside 

It doesn’t get any cheerier. This is sad, despondent Bob. It’s also marvelous poetry. 

this was my guess for the '75 album to have the most timpix from

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, timschochet said:

81. Eagles “Take It to the Limit” (from One of These Nights

The link is to a live version from about 4 years ago at the Forum in Los Angeles, a concert I attended. It would turn out to be one of Glenn Frey’s last performances. 
This song was largely written by Randy Meisner, just before he left the band. Eagles at this time were moving away from the “Poco” sound of Meisner and Bernie Leadon, and towards the more classic hard rock of Joe Walsh. 

No link.

It's also the first of Eagles "no one takes us seriously" whinefests. Good record, though. Isn't that enough?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

That link goes to a live version from 1976 (I think it's the same version from 1980's "Eagles Live").

Here is a more recent version (from 1999) with Glenn Frey on lead vocals.
Here is a partial recording of the new Eagles (2018) with Vince Gill doing the lead vocals
Here is a live version by Randy Meisner & Richard Marx.....with additional backing vocals by Timothy B. Schmit
Here is a duet version by Randy Meisner and Juice Newton
Here is a duet version by Willie Nelson & Waylon Jennings
Here is a great version by the great Etta James

Randy Meisner did a solo version in 1978, but it's been blocked on YouTube by Don Henley and his army of lawyers (it's on Spotify and Soundcloud, though).

And yes, the irony is not lost on me that I'm taking you all to the limits of your tolerance for this song.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, timschochet said:

80. Rod Stewart “Sailing” (from Atlantic Crossing

https://youtu.be/FOt3oQ_k008

Back in the day Rod sang some really pretty ballads. This is one of them. Sing along if you’d like; I always do. 

Nice shots of the NYC skyline. Would have been a good entry for yesterday.

Here is the original version of the song, by the Sutherland Brothers. The super-low bass notes ruin it for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

79. Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons “December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)” (from Who Loves You

https://youtu.be/mTUhnIY3oRM

Kind of a last hurrah for the classic 60s Doo Wop band, even if Frankie himself only sings on the bridge. Valli would have one last hit with the title track to “Grease” a few years later, but that was as a solo artist. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, timschochet said:

79. Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons “December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)” (from Who Loves You

https://youtu.be/mTUhnIY3oRM

Kind of a last hurrah for the classic 60s Doo Wop band, even if Frankie himself only sings on the bridge. Valli would have one last hit with the title track to “Grease” a few years later, but that was as a solo artist. 

This isn't bad but it's way overplayed. I vastly prefer the other hit from this album (the title track). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, timschochet said:

Kind of a last hurrah for the classic 60s Doo Wop band, even if Frankie himself only sings on the bridge. Valli would have one last hit with the title track to “Grease” a few years later, but that was as a solo artist. 

By this point, the solo/band dynamic was just semantics. Aside from Valli, no one else from the '60s Four Seasons had anything to do with this record except Bob Gaudio, who by this point served as a producer and songwriter but not a performer. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, timschochet said:

79. Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons “December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)” (from Who Loves You

https://youtu.be/mTUhnIY3oRM

Kind of a last hurrah for the classic 60s Doo Wop band, even if Frankie himself only sings on the bridge. Valli would have one last hit with the title track to “Grease” a few years later, but that was as a solo artist. 

i'm going to hate this rancid tripe even more after "Hissing of Summer Lawns" goes unselected...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

76. Pink Floyd “Welcome to the Machine” (from Wish You Were Here

https://youtu.be/lt-udg9zQSE

Wish You Were Here is a concept album about Syd Barrett, the founder of Pink Floyd who went insane. “Welcome to the Machine” attempts to blame that insanity on the corporate world that takes advantage of artists like Barrett (and Roger Waters, the songwriter) and the song contains the same sort of rage against the establishment that would define The Wall as well. Like everything on this album, brilliant. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

75. Led Zeppelin “Trampled Under Foot” (from Physical Graffiti

https://youtu.be/ftknR1gf9qw

This is the only single from Physical Graffiti, and it’s a pretty standard blues song other than the funk infused guitar. But since Les Zeppelin did pretty standard blues better than just about anybody, it’s superlative. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...