What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lame Duck Firings (1 Viewer)

Cant Biden just rehire everyone later?
Sure, but it might affect their pensions, mortgage payments, etc.

Plus, (and this is way bigger) we actually need people in government for it to continue to function.  If there's mass firings, then it creates chaos and the federal government grinds to a halt.  Not ideal during a public health pandemic.

Cant Biden just rehire everyone later?
He can, but don't new Presidents, especially with a party change, hire all their own people? I think it's typical for cabinet members to resign when a new President arrives so that the new President doesn't have to fire them. I think I heard that in a movie recently, so has to be true.

Besides these firings, my concern is lack of action with a Fed Budget for FY21.  We are in a Continuing Resolution again.  Going to be real tough if we're in shutdown from Dec 12 to Jan 20.  

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why he lost his job.  Awful. :(

The president has grown increasingly frustrated with Esper since a rift in June, when the defense secretary publicly declared his opposition to deploying active-duty troops to quash protests against police violence and racial injustice,

The two have clashed over other issues as well. Trump in June stunned NATO allies and senior DoD leaders when he directed the withdrawal of thousands of troops from Germany. Days later, he blindsided the Pentagon yet again by tweeting his opposition to the removal of Confederate leaders' names from Army bases, just two days after Esper opened the door to doing so.

Esper also clashed with Trump over the promotion of Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, the star witness in the impeachment who told Congress that Trump’s July 25, 2019, phone call with his Ukrainian counterpart undermined U.S. national security. Esper approved Vindman's promotion in June, even though he knew the move could put him at odds with the White House. Esper also effectively banned the public display of the Confederate flag on military installations, despite Trump’s support of such displays as freedom of speech.

Methinks this is the beginning of the scorched earth policy I think Trump will employ over the next 70ish days. Shocking, out-of-character behavior for him I know but desperate times... :rolleyes:

He can, but don't new Presidents, especially with a party change, hire all their own people? I think it's typical for cabinet members to resign when a new President arrives so that the new President doesn't have to fire them. I think I heard that in a movie recently, so has to be true.
I don't think that's true.  It seems to me that most Cabinet Secretaries stay on through the transition so that they oversee the transition to the new team, brief their replacement, etc.   Especially someone like the Sec Def who deals with the most sensitive classified information.  Being able to personally meet with his replacement would seem to be very important to most of them.

My memory could be faulty though.  I'm getting old.

I don't think that's true.  It seems to me that most Cabinet Secretaries stay on through the transition so that they oversee the transition to the new team, brief their replacement, etc.   Especially someone like the Sec Def who deals with the most sensitive classified information.  Being able to personally meet with his replacement would seem to be very important to most of them.

My memory could be faulty though.  I'm getting old.
Biden is also on record as saying that his cabinet would look like America, with people from all political leanings. Now, that could be pandering, it might be the truth, but clearly Trump has decided that he's not going to play ball.

Alarming

Trump loyalists elevated to powerful roles at the Pentagon after firing of Defense Secretary Esper

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon on Tuesday elevated three Trump loyalists to powerful positions a day after the sudden termination of Secretary of Defense Mark Esper and following the resignations of multiple senior officials in the Defense Department.

The latest revelation comes as President Donald Trump has rejected the results of last week’s election. Trump has not conceded to Democrat Joe Biden, who on Saturday secured more than the 270 votes needed to win the presidency.

In a lengthy statement released Tuesday afternoon, the Pentagon said that Anthony Tata, Ezra Cohen-Watnick and Kash Patel had been promoted to key roles.

Tata is now working as the senior official performing the duties of the undersecretary of Defense for policy, following James Anderson’s resignation.

Tata, a retired Army general who became a pro-Trump pundit on Fox News, joined the Defense Department earlier this year. Trump had nominated him to a role that required Senate confirmation, but lawmakers opposed Tata in the role, and the president instead named him to an acting role that didn’t require confirmation. Tata has a history of Islamophobic comments and has called President Barack Obama a “terrorist leader.”

Cohen-Watnick is set to take over as the new acting undersecretary of Defense for intelligence and security, after Joseph Kernen resigned.

After being pushed out of the White House in 2017, following his tenure working for former national security advisor Michael Flynn, Cohen-Watnick rejoined the Trump administration earlier this year in a Pentagon role. Flynn was fired from his role and eventually pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI. Cohen-Watnick also worked for former Attorney General Jeff Sessions before Sessions was fired in 2018.

Replacing Jen Stewart, the chief of staff to the Defense secretary, is Kash Patel, a member of the National Security Council. Patel was a staffer for Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Calif., who worked to discredit the probe into Russian interference in the 2016 election and potential links between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin.

“I want to thank Dr. Anderson, Admiral Kernan and Jen Stewart for their service to the nation and the Department. Over their careers each has contributed greatly to the national defense and the future of the Department of Defense. We wish them the best in their next endeavors,” acting Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller said in a statement.

On Monday, Trump announced on Twitter that he has “terminated” Esper and replaced him with Miller, director of the National Counterterrorism Center. The announcement came about five months after he and Esper had a public break over how to handle civil unrest in America’s cities.

Esper, in an interview with the Military Times days before Trump fired him, warned of trouble if he were to be replaced.

“At the end of the day, it’s as I said — you’ve got to pick your fights,” Esper told the publication. “I could have a fight over anything, and I could make it a big fight, and I could live with that — why? Who’s going to come in behind me? It’s going to be a real ‘yes man.’ And then God help us.”

Here is the full statement:

“As announced yesterday, November 9, President Trump has designated the National Counter Terrorism Center Director, Chris Miller, as the Acting Secretary of Defense.  Mr. Miller took over those functions and responsibilities mid-day yesterday. Deputy Secretary of Defense David Norquist remains in his position and continues to execute his responsibilities. 

Today, Acting Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Dr. James Anderson, Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence and Security Mr. Joseph Kernan and Chief of Staff to the Secretary of Defense, Jen Stewart submitted letters of resignation. 

Dr. Anderson submitted his letter of resignation to the President this morning, effective today.  The Acting Secretary of Defense has delegated the responsibilities of the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy to Mr. Anthony Tata.  As such, Mr. Tata is the Senior Official Performing the Duties of the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy.  He previously was the Senior Official Performing the Duties of the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Policy.  Dr. Thomas Williams will now perform the duties of the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Policy.

As planned for several months, Under Secretary Kernan submitted his letter of resignation, effective today.  Current Acting Assistant Secretary of Defense for Special Operation and Low-Intensity Conflict Ezra Cohen-Watnick will be the new Acting Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence and Security.  Mr. Ralph Cacci will continue to perform the duties of the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence and Security.

Also today, Ms. Stewart submitted her resignation from the position of Chief of Staff, effective today.  Mr. Kash Patel, currently on the National Security Council staff, has been named by Acting Secretary Miller as his Chief of Staff.

Acting Secretary of Defense Miller issued the following statement on these personnel changes:  ‘I want to thank Dr. Anderson, Admiral Kernan and Jen Stewart for their service to the nation and the Department.  Over their careers each has contributed greatly to the national defense and the future of the Department of Defense. We wish them the best in their next endeavors.’”

DJT just tweeted that Chris Krebs is out as Director of Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency after his comments that this was the most secure election in history.  

We knew this was coming.

Can he put one of his flunkies in place in time to fabricate more nonsense about the state of the voting machines and hold up the transition further?

Firing Krebs is just awful. How much more pathetic can this get? Lame duck sure likes his swamp.

DJT just tweeted that Chris Krebs is out as Director of Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency after his comments that this was the most secure election in history.  
At least we know Trump doesn't GAF about his legacy.

Just talked to my co-worker about Krebs today. My friend worked at a company a decade ago where Krebs was a strategic advisor and board member. I guess he is THE number one person to have in the country regarding cyber security. So first off, let's give trump credit for bringing this guy in and not really having any threats over the past few years. He was also doing this job for free and for the good of his company. Sounds like he made more than enough in the private sector.

Hopefully Biden brings this guy back as there is no one else like him at the current moment.

If there is a God in Heaven I hope so. No political reason , just someone younger. The guy is 80 next month 
I am glad Trump supporters believe that people 80 years old should not be holding any prestigious political  position once they are 80....That would mean they wouldn’t vote for former President Trump in 2024 who would turn 80 halfway through his 4 year term. 

And what is the end game by doing these sort of mass clearings on the way out?  Is this common practice?  I guess previous transitions have been do so professionally and according to a code of ethics?  

And what is the end game by doing these sort of mass clearings on the way out?  Is this common practice?  I guess previous transitions have been do so professionally and according to a code of ethics?  
1. We probably don't want to know. 

2. No. 

3. Yes. 

tuffnutt said:
Rats and sinking ship...
I am guessing it has more to do with refusing to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate Hunter Biden.  :shrug: . (We will see on this if the new AG acts quickly to appoint one).

That and not publicly revealing the investigation prior to the election.

Users who are viewing this thread