What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (4 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
Got my kids their second shots last week because one was asking for it, the other was concerned he would miss football practice as his friends had some issues on the second shot.

No problems with either.

Just an impulse deal for me, wasn't that concerned either way.

They don't have older parents? Grandparents? Kids to young to be vaccinated? Seems like a fairly stupid (selfish?) decision even if you don't fear for your own safety. Because there's little chance they aren't taking the virus in to their homes sooner or later.

Honestly more helpful to teach your kids to swim than worry about covid.

Grandparents/Parents?  They should get vaccinated.  Their call on that.

They don't have older parents? Grandparents? Kids to young to be vaccinated? Seems like a fairly stupid (selfish?) decision even if you don't fear for your own safety. Because there's little chance they aren't taking the virus in to their homes sooner or later.
They absolutely do. Not to mention the people they come into contact with everyday when transporting them to the hospital. I stopped having conversations with them about it. There have been mutual friends that have died or been in the hospital with it, and they still won’t get it. If people haven’t gotten the shot by now, they’re not going to. Me going back and forth with them isn’t going to change their minds. 

wife and I, both in our early 40s, just got our first shots this week. We're not anti-vax but wanted to wait a while to see if the vaccine did create any side effects for people. Plus I have a bunch of older family and friends who got COVID during the first wave and came through fine with no issues, so to be honest I wasn't that scared of getting it.

however now with the variant all over the place - which again, to be honest, I'm not that scared of getting - I feel like the responsible thing to do is to go ahead and get vaccinated and remove more potential unvaccinated hosts from the population, and maybe that eventually helps get us away from this stupid mask-wearing and fearmongering cycle we're all currently mired in again.

I'm kind of worried that it's a futile gesture, though, since other countries like India are still mostly unvaccinated, but whatever - it feels like the right thing to do.

wife and I, both in our early 40s, just got our first shots this week. We're not anti-vax but wanted to wait a while to see if the vaccine did create any side effects for people. Plus I have a bunch of older family and friends who got COVID during the first wave and came through fine with no issues, so to be honest I wasn't that scared of getting it.

however now with the variant all over the place - which again, to be honest, I'm not that scared of getting - I feel like the responsible thing to do is to go ahead and get vaccinated and remove more potential unvaccinated hosts from the population, and maybe that eventually helps get us away from this stupid mask-wearing and fearmongering cycle we're all currently mired in again.

I'm kind of worried that it's a futile gesture, though, since other countries like India are still mostly unvaccinated, but whatever - it feels like the right thing to do.
It is and I'm glad you did both for yourselves as well as others. Thank you and kudos for embracing a change which isn't easy for many to do.

I got covid-19 waiting for the Novavax to be released released.  I've been sicker in the past but this lingered longer than anything I can remember. 

While being down for 10/14 days sucked, all things considered, I'd most likely make the same decision to wait. 

Got my kids their second shots last week because one was asking for it, the other was concerned he would miss football practice as his friends had some issues on the second shot.

No problems with either.

Just an impulse deal for me, wasn't that concerned either way.
How far apart were the 1st and 2nd shots?  Did they care/know about the long period of time in between shots?

You Obviously had no issues getting it.

My immunocompromised wife got her third shot this week. She's participating in a study to investigate vaccine effectiveness in immunocompromised people, so knew that she had little antibody response to her first two shots (Moderna). Hoping for more response with the third.

Arm was more sore than the first set of shots, and more fatigue than she had previously, but no real issues with the third.

Nation hits 1M vaccinations benchmark for first time in seven weeks (Politico, 8/19/2021)

The White House noted a 31 percent week-over-week increase in the daily average of those becoming fully vaccinated.

More than one million Americans received a dose of Covid-19 vaccine on Thursday, a benchmark the nation has not met in nearly seven weeks amid a resurgence of the coronavirus pandemic.

White House Covid-19 Data Director Cyrus Shahpar announced the vaccine upswing on Twitter, noting a 31 percent week-over-week increase in the daily average of those becoming fully vaccinated. He said Thursday’s numbers include 562,000 newly vaccinated people.

Cyrus Shahpar
@cyrusshahpar46

Friday just in: +1.01M doses reported administered over yesterday's total, incl. 534K newly vaccinated. Today we hit a milestone: 200M people w/ at least one dose! On avg., over 33,000 people have gotten their first dose, every hour of every day since mid-Dec 2020. Keep it up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anecdote from another board. Nice to hear that seemingly small things can sway people ... makes me think relatively few vaccine-hesitant people are truly never-wills.

Well my parents both finally got vaccinated, not because of anything I said however. They were adamant about not getting it (essentially for no reason other than "because we don't want it"). The only thing that finally convinced them was they were going to New Orleans for a week and learned that a lot of restaurants required proof of vaccination. So begrudgingly they went and got one shot a week before they left. I guess one is better than none but I wonder if they'll bother going for their second shot in a month.

Information I hadn't yet run across, and something the popular media has largely ignored -- from a CDC press release LAST Friday 8/13:

Emerging data suggest some people with moderately to severely compromised immune systems do not always build the same level of immunity compared to people who are not immunocompromised. In addition, in small studies, fully vaccinated immunocompromised people have accounted for a large proportion of hospitalized breakthrough cases (40-44%). Immunocompromised people who are infected with SARS CoV-2 are also more likely to transmit the virus to household contacts.

It is and I'm glad you did both for yourselves as well as others. Thank you and kudos for embracing a change which isn't easy for many to do.

ha, well thanks brother but I don't really think it was that much of a change. I always figured I'd get it eventually, just didn't want to do it before seeing how it worked out with people first. Then we came through the first surge and it didn't seem quite so urgent, but now that it's Groundhog Day again it felt like the time was right.

(cross-posted from the other main COVID threads)

FDA expected to grant full approval of Pfizer vaccine on Monday: report (NY Post, 8/20/2021)

Story broken by the New York Times (and so credited in the Post), but the link is paywalled.

The Food and Drug Administration is preparing to grant full approval of Pfizer-BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine on Monday, according to a report on Friday.

The New York Times reported that the approval had originally been targeted for Labor Day, but was expedited due the recent surge of the more infectious Delta variant of the virus.

The two-dose vaccine on Dec. 11, 2020 was the first COVID-19 shot receive emergency use authorization, and would be the first to be fully approved by the federal agency.

The FDA had hoped to finish the approval by Friday, the Times reported, however regulators and the company are continuing to negotiate.

Full approval of the Moderna vaccine could be weeks away as the FDA continues to review it’s application, the report said.

Sister in law, who's a nurse, has multiple coworkers who were told they will be fired by November 1st if they don't get the shot. All worked through covid and got it themselves because the hospital they worked for didn't provide them the proper supplies to protect themselves. Honoring healthcare workers was always a lie. I knew a couple nurses who died from it because they weren't given adequate protection. Those of us in healthcare, who were in the middle of it the entire time, knew that from the beginning. They'll throw you onto the trash heap in a heartbeat and there won't be a single person there to stand up for you. 

Sister in law, who's a nurse, has multiple coworkers who were told they will be fired by November 1st if they don't get the shot. All worked through covid and got it themselves because the hospital they worked for didn't provide them the proper supplies to protect themselves. Honoring healthcare workers was always a lie. I knew a couple nurses who died from it because they weren't given adequate protection. Those of us in healthcare, who were in the middle of it the entire time, knew that from the beginning. They'll throw you onto the trash heap in a heartbeat and there won't be a single person there to stand up for you. 
I definitely sympathize with Healthcare workers who weren't given adequate protective gear. However, knowing that they were not getting proper protective gear and choosing to remain unvaccinated knowing that they were at a high risk of exposure, seems cavalier at best. Even if they have some concerns about the vaccine, they were seeing everyday how deadly a virus Covid is if you get it while unvaccinated. Going forward during this surge, the Hospitals have to do everything they can to make sure they have enough healthy workers to treat the patients coming in. The best way they can do that is to get all personnel vaccinated. Again that doesn't excuse them from not giving proper protective gear, but it is an understandable position for them to take.

Vaccine mandate and lack of PPE/expendability are two separate issues.

Broke down and just got the J&J shot. My girlfriend had to get it last month for work (or get covid tested every week, she chose the shot), and I was gonna hold out as long as possible. I admit I was a bit nervous about getting it, but with more and more places/events requiring proof of vax, decided to go ahead and bite the bullet since we have several concerts/sporting events/travel planned in the coming months.

Got the shot about 2 hours ago...my head feels a bit fuzzy, and nodes behind my ears are a little sore. I'm hoping that's the extent of side effects I get, the girlfriend had zero symptoms of any side effects when she got it.

So I am officially a sheep. I'm not thrilled about it, but it is what it is. 

Wingnut said:
Broke down and just got the J&J shot. My girlfriend had to get it last month for work (or get covid tested every week, she chose the shot), and I was gonna hold out as long as possible. I admit I was a bit nervous about getting it, but with more and more places/events requiring proof of vax, decided to go ahead and bite the bullet since we have several concerts/sporting events/travel planned in the coming months.

Got the shot about 2 hours ago...my head feels a bit fuzzy, and nodes behind my ears are a little sore. I'm hoping that's the extent of side effects I get, the girlfriend had zero symptoms of any side effects when she got it.

Glad you got it.

Not sure why you feel like a sheep by following medical advice from 99% of the medical community, though.

Wingnut said:

Good decision.  

Getzlaf15 said:
I was going to say the same thing.  What does one have to do with the other.

I don't get the logic in "we didn't have enough protection the first time, so let's not get any when there is some."
“My employer didn’t protect us before so now we’re not going to protect ourselves either.” Craziness.

Glad you got it.

Not sure why you feel like a sheep by following medical advice from 99% of the medical community, though.
It's human nature not to want to be forced to do anything. Some people are so stubborn they'd rather risk getting sick and dying than complying. My wife is one of them. I told her to get the shot for me and I understand why she doesn't want to give in but she can still fight her "battles" while protecting herself.

It's human nature not to want to be forced to do anything. Some people are so stubborn they'd rather risk getting sick and dying than complying. My wife is one of them. I told her to get the shot for me and I understand why she doesn't want to give in but she can still fight her "battles" while protecting herself.
I get that, but it's not being "forced" (at least not up until this point for most).

If you see your doctor and they say you have high blood pressure and you need to start a medication for it, that's not forcing you. 

If you see your doctor and they say you have diabetes and you need to start a medication for it, that's not forcing you. 

If you see your doctor and they say you have an infection and you need to start an antibiotic for it, that's not forcing you. 

If you see your doctor and they say you have appendicitis and you need to have surgery for it, that's not forcing you.

All of the above are just medical advice that most people follow because it makes sense to follow the advice to do so.

But if you see your doctor and they say you should get this vaccine because it's the consensus recommendation from infectious disease experts, that's forcing you? 

I just don't understand.

I get that, but it's not being "forced" (at least not up until this point for most).

If you see your doctor and they say you have high blood pressure and you need to start a medication for it, that's not forcing you. 

If you see your doctor and they say you have diabetes and you need to start a medication for it, that's not forcing you. 

If you see your doctor and they say you have an infection and you need to start an antibiotic for it, that's not forcing you. 

If you see your doctor and they say you have appendicitis and you need to have surgery for it, that's not forcing you.

All of the above are just medical advice that most people follow because it makes sense to follow the advice to do so.

But if you see your doctor and they say you should get this vaccine because it's the consensus recommendation from infectious disease experts, that's forcing you? 

I just don't understand.
In NYC, you are effectively being forced to now. You can't goto a restaurant or movie or gym without showing proof of vaccine. Most city employees are now forced to vaccinate or lose their jobs.

There's definitely a few people like that and since I don't know your wife I won't pretend to know either way.  I've known a couple of people who refused to go to doctors or take medicine.  I always found it odd, but whatever.  One of them died earlier this year from cancer that they didn't know that they had - diagnosis and then 3 weeks later dead.  But, honestly, there's very few people that are like that.  Most of the holdouts are getting either bad medical advice or have listened to the wrong people - religious folks, politicians, etc. who have led them astray from one of the biggest no-brainers in the history of the world.  The first group of people I don't really feel bad for - they have made a conscience decision to forego modern medicine.  So be it.  And I feel at least some sympathy for the latter group - they are getting bad information - in some cases just direct lies.  And for too large a number it's going to cost them their life.

In NYC, you are effectively being forced to now. You can't goto a restaurant or movie or gym without showing proof of vaccine. Most city employees are now forced to vaccinate or lose their jobs.
That's now. The vaccine has been out for months prior to those restrictions requiring proof of vaccine.

Her decision during the first few months to not get the vaccine wasn't because she was being "forced" to. That's a new excuse that wasn't available when vaccines were first available.

IvanKaramazov said:
Is it??  I am a nurse, and we have damn near half our staff that will not get the vaccine.  I would confidently say most of them will choose to be fired if push comes to shove.

This is NOT a good thing.  Not for anyone.  Not for the remaining staff with already increased workloads, and not for patients getting subpar care because of it.

Personally, I want everyone to get vaccinated.  Stop your excuses and get vaccinated.

But as for the mandates and subsequent firings........careful what you wish for, especially right now when it seems everywhere is having a tough time finding staff.

There's already teacher shortages. Can't imagine mandates will HELP matters
Maybe this is an opportunity to part ways with our worst teachers, and get some bright people in the classroom by loosening licensure requirements.  Any reasonably bright person with a BS in English ought to have no problem teaching high school English after a little on the job training.  Win-win.

they're also called company policies.  don't like it?  work somewhere else.  most employers 'mandate" that one has to be on time.

meh freedoms!!!!!!
Exactly. You are forced to be on time or lose your job. Let's not sugarcoat it by saying people aren't being forced to with mandates though.

Let's call a spade a spade.

Exactly. You are forced to be on time or lose your job. Let's not sugarcoat it by saying people aren't being forced to with mandates though.

Let's call a spade a spade.
i am calling it what it is, a company policy.  why aren't you pissed off about being "forced" to arrive on time.  you also have to have shoes on.  united airlines now has a policy of being vaccinated.  in that line of work, it makes a hell of a lot of sense.  same with heathcare

Showing up on time isnt exactly the same thing as getting a vaccine.  Just saying.

Also, for most real jobs, you also dont get fired for being late.  There needs to be multiple lates then probably multiple chances with multiple levels of corrective action.

I cant decide if I am all for  mandate or not.  The fall out could be catastrophic nationwide.  I would support a mandate if done in such a way that doesnt give people the ability to find a similar job to what they do now at a place not mandating the vaccine, otherwise get ready for major problems.  

I am fine mandating the vaccine for everyone, but it has to be done BY everyone and all at the same time.

Showing up on time isnt exactly the same thing as getting a vaccine.  Just saying.

Also, for most real jobs, you also dont get fired for being late.  There needs to be multiple lates then probably multiple chances with multiple levels of corrective action.

I cant decide if I am all for  mandate or not.  The fall out could be catastrophic nationwide.  I would support a mandate if done in such a way that doesnt give people the ability to find a similar job to what they do now at a place not mandating the vaccine, otherwise get ready for major problems.  

I am fine mandating the vaccine for everyone, but it has to be done BY everyone and all at the same time.
Some Employers require flu vaccines.

Some employers have random drug testing.

Some employers require your vaccine records.

Schools require vaccination records 

Some employers require background checks

:shrug:

Now that it's approved, I see this in the same list as a flu vaccine

Users who are viewing this thread