Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?


gianmarco

Covid vaccine  

449 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Open on the 15th in CA to anyone with a comorbidity. I have two or three. That said, it's open to self-declaration. I have the funny feeling I'll be in line for quite some time if people are allowed to self-declare. This is making me all nervous again. I was fine not really going with places and wearing a mask. Now I'm very concerned that I'll get it right before the shot, which would be awful.

I agree that the pandemic has been a mirror. About to watch it unfold in CA.

Smoking is a comorbidity in IL.  So what happens if I start smoking tomorrow?   Does that mean I can get the shot?

These rules are really really dumb.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

What's going down in Cali/?

Well, the self-reporting of comorbidities in order to be eligible for the shot. We're about to see how honorable the populace acts in acquiring the vaccine. It was more of a throwaway line, but we should get a look at people and how they act when there are limited quantities of the vaccine. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Smoking is a comorbidity in IL.  So what happens if I start smoking tomorrow?   Does that mean I can get the shot?

These rules are really really dumb.....

Yeah, ours is a little more stringent. It's for people with organ transplants, BMI over 40, diabetes over 7.5, hypertension, stuff like that. No real voluntary behaviors save for the obesity one, and one could make the claim that it isn't voluntary but hereditary or something like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Schedule Jab #1 for Thursday :pickle:

Did it through the CVS site.  It was sorta bonkers as had to go through Hawaii to get to NJ where I could then make my way to the appointment picker

https://www.cvs.com/immunizations/covid-19-vaccine

Picked Hawaii - Clicked "Schedule an Appointment Now"

Answered preliminary questions.

Then I picked New Jersey (for me) from the pulldown list and continued for there.

Basically just kept searching over and over - changing up the city I used to search from after every few attempts - basically keep trying and stuff will pop up at some point.  Sorta comes up very randomly so be persistent.  I did it just now but it's sorta whenever they dump the times in.  The dates in this round seemed to be 3/15 through 3/18 (for 1st dose).

The site tells you which vaccine they are doing for the location that pops up which I like (because I wanted 2 dose).

CVS already has my info from a CVS card so no biggie but it was pretty easy I have to say.  I recommend you do it from a laptop instead of a phone because there is a pdf of drug facts that they want you to read and when I did it on my phone I screwed up and lost an appointment.  But all in all it was pretty quick (I consider getting this done in the hour or so with my own goofs and 1 rebooking to a location that I think has much better parking to be a pretty easy process all in all).

Happy hunting.  If there's a better thread for this info feel free to direct me to it or copy it there.

-QG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh FWIW I got hip to this method from the twitter handle:  Vaccine Bot NJ @nj_vaccine

I would venture to guess there are other bots for other states too :) - I also suspect that the method I mentioned above probably will work for any of the states where CVS is doing the vaccine.

-QG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the subject of the ‘honor system’, I think I speak for most on the other side of the syringe, we don’t want to police it.  The main reason we police it is avoid widespread abuse. We want to give these vaccines to everyone and some abuse is going to happen but the moment that we appear to allow something to happen then it spreads through the internet.
 

Whether it be age, job, health condition or walk-up appointments, we don’t want people to abuse our looking the other way. It’s fine until all of our appointments are filled with people who aren’t eligible and we don’t have doses for the elderly couple who don’t have anyone to help them with the computer.

I definitely don’t want the opposite where absolute proof is needed. It’s just a waste of everyone’s time that can better spent vaccinating more people. You’re probably not going to be asked for proof, but just take your win and keep it to yourself. The more people you tell about it, the more likely we have to stop allowing it.

The other consideration we have to make is that we were all required to sign a statement saying we will follow the guidelines to the best of our ability. It’s the corporate way to keep their options open if a pharmacist goes rouge and giving doses out to anyone. It’s the reason why my wife hasn’t gotten her shot yet. She doesn’t come close to meeting any of the qualifications and it’s not worth risking my job over. But a random person who gets an appointment with the same demographics likely will make it through.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, [scooter] said:

I'm relatively young and healthy but I qualified for the vaccine based on a couple of conditions. I was quite surprised that no one at the clinic questioned my eligibility. It would have been easy -- too easy, really -- to simply lie on the forms.

I've been hesitant to tell anyone about my vaccination status because I don't want to be accused of jumping the line. #vaccineshaming

I'm not that young but was not old enough to have hit the age limit when I got mine. I expected to be asked as I got mine early on and had paperwork with me to prove my condition if need be. But I was never asked for it. By the time I filled out paperwork, I knew I wouldn't be as I had to check a few of the "Are you on any of these meds?" boxes. But the Metro Health web page clearly stated they would operate on the honor system, and they did. So, as I looked around the room, I really didn't, in my mind, question many people there because I realize that several of the riskiest condition can't be seen just by looking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Biff84 said:

On the subject of the ‘honor system’, I think I speak for most on the other side of the syringe, we don’t want to police it.  The main reason we police it is avoid widespread abuse. We want to give these vaccines to everyone and some abuse is going to happen but the moment that we appear to allow something to happen then it spreads through the internet.
 

Whether it be age, job, health condition or walk-up appointments, we don’t want people to abuse our looking the other way. It’s fine until all of our appointments are filled with people who aren’t eligible and we don’t have doses for the elderly couple who don’t have anyone to help them with the computer.

I definitely don’t want the opposite where absolute proof is needed. It’s just a waste of everyone’s time that can better spent vaccinating more people. You’re probably not going to be asked for proof, but just take your win and keep it to yourself. The more people you tell about it, the more likely we have to stop allowing it.

The other consideration we have to make is that we were all required to sign a statement saying we will follow the guidelines to the best of our ability. It’s the corporate way to keep their options open if a pharmacist goes rouge and giving doses out to anyone. It’s the reason why my wife hasn’t gotten her shot yet. She doesn’t come close to meeting any of the qualifications and it’s not worth risking my job over. But a random person who gets an appointment with the same demographics likely will make it through.

Good post here.  

While open to abuse, the alternative is worse.  Either we don't vaccinate those with conditions, or we make them prove said conditions.  Proving those conditions takes time (documentation checks, what "proof" counts, what doesn't, disputes, etc).  That time will slow down needles in arms.  More risk of waste, and ultimately a slower vaccine distribution.

Further, having to prove a condition disproportionately impacts the poor.  Lower-income folks already have trouble taking the time off work to get a shot, but to have to take time to get a doctor's note, and pay the copay, further inhibits their ability to get a shot and favours the rich.

Yes, if you're willing to lie to get a shot, that's 100% doable here in TX.  In my mind, we're choosing the lesser of two evils.

I wasn't willing to lie, and thus willing to wait until I was eligible.

Thankfully a small town had a surplus and openly invited anyone to come get a shot who could get to the site within an hour or two.  So I was there with bells on.

Being white collar, I should count myself lucky that I could get up from my desk and walk out without having to worry about getting fired.  That isn't lost on me.

Edited by Zasada
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In TX, you can get a shot if you have a BMI of 25 or higher.  Per the TV news, that covers 70% of Texans right there (but still not me).  

TX is rapidly moving from scarcity to surplus.  Soon the real scarcity will be people willing to get the shot.  Which is kind of sad.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Biff84 said:

On the subject of the ‘honor system’, I think I speak for most on the other side of the syringe, we don’t want to police it.  The main reason we police it is avoid widespread abuse. We want to give these vaccines to everyone and some abuse is going to happen but the moment that we appear to allow something to happen then it spreads through the internet.
 

Whether it be age, job, health condition or walk-up appointments, we don’t want people to abuse our looking the other way. It’s fine until all of our appointments are filled with people who aren’t eligible and we don’t have doses for the elderly couple who don’t have anyone to help them with the computer.

I definitely don’t want the opposite where absolute proof is needed. It’s just a waste of everyone’s time that can better spent vaccinating more people. You’re probably not going to be asked for proof, but just take your win and keep it to yourself. The more people you tell about it, the more likely we have to stop allowing it.

The other consideration we have to make is that we were all required to sign a statement saying we will follow the guidelines to the best of our ability. It’s the corporate way to keep their options open if a pharmacist goes rouge and giving doses out to anyone. It’s the reason why my wife hasn’t gotten her shot yet. She doesn’t come close to meeting any of the qualifications and it’s not worth risking my job over. But a random person who gets an appointment with the same demographics likely will make it through.

Very well said, and this is exactly the mindset I think we should all adopt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a Facebook friend who is complaining that younger, healthier people were getting shots and he couldn't.  As someone who got a shot * (and is probably healthier than he is), I do feel a bit guilty.  I don't know why he hasn't been able to get his - feels to me like it was not difficult to get an appt at the big event at BofA (Panthers) Stadium with >20k vaccinations.

I think it's just a matter of persistence, effort, and time.  I'm sure he will get his in the next week or two - it's not like he will never get it.  There will be other events.

* I used my work as justification - critical manufacturing.  When "safer at home" orders were issued last year, I had a signed letter from our in-house lawyer claiming I needed to be at the factory, and because our products are required by law, it is critical that we remain in operation.  I don't work shoulder-to-shoulder with the assembly line workers but occasionally review operations and spend time up close with test technicians.  I also could have cited my chronic asthma or high blood pressure, both requiring daily medicine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, moleculo said:

I have a Facebook friend who is complaining that younger, healthier people were getting shots and he couldn't.  As someone who got a shot * (and is probably healthier than he is), I do feel a bit guilty. 

I tried pointing this out to people a couple of weeks ago in another thread, but I'll try again because you're the second person to post something along these lines.  The people who you and I have been conditioned to think of as "high risk" -- health care workers, nursing home residents, the elderly -- have all been vaccinated already.  They're not "high risk" anymore.  They're more like "zero risk."

Currently, the folks who are now most threatened by covid are folks like us: middle-aged and basically healthy except for one or two chronic conditions that aren't really a big deal but could conceivably snowball when combined with a novel respiratory illness.  Objectively, covid is and never really was hugely threatening for us, but on a relative scale we're now at the top of the risk profile because everyone else at a higher elevation is already immune.

There's no rational reason to feel guilty about getting vaccinated when it's your turn.  There would be a really good rational reason to feel guilty about postponing your vaccination though.  The same ethical argument for why you should wear a mask applies to why you should get vaccinated first thing when your number comes up.  It benefits you, of course, but it also benefits everybody around you.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, moleculo said:

I have a Facebook friend who is complaining that younger, healthier people were getting shots and he couldn't.  As someone who got a shot * (and is probably healthier than he is), I do feel a bit guilty.  I don't know why he hasn't been able to get his - feels to me like it was not difficult to get an appt at the big event at BofA (Panthers) Stadium with >20k vaccinations.

I think it's just a matter of persistence, effort, and time.  I'm sure he will get his in the next week or two - it's not like he will never get it.  There will be other events.

* I used my work as justification - critical manufacturing.  When "safer at home" orders were issued last year, I had a signed letter from our in-house lawyer claiming I needed to be at the factory, and because our products are required by law, it is critical that we remain in operation.  I don't work shoulder-to-shoulder with the assembly line workers but occasionally review operations and spend time up close with test technicians.  I also could have cited my chronic asthma or high blood pressure, both requiring daily medicine.

You and I are in the same field, except the factories i work most closely with are in China, Thailand, and Mexico.  I go into the office about once a week and sometimes work shoulder to shoulder with other engineers and technicians.   I have a letter from my company saying that i am an essential worker (I'm not) that works in manufacturing. 

I know other people (young, seemingly healthy) from my work have taken that letter and gotten a vaccine. I don't judge them for doing so, as i don't know their circumstances or health history.  Self-interest in this situation is fine, as long as abuse isn't widespread. Every jab in someone's arm helps me and my family a small amount. 

Personally, I'm waiting for a while yet before I put myself on any lists.  The elderly, teachers, garbage collectors, and cashiers should have every opportunity to get a vaccine before I do. After that, I'm likely to sign up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I tried pointing this out to people a couple of weeks ago in another thread, but I'll try again because you're the second person to post something along these lines.  The people who you and I have been conditioned to think of as "high risk" -- health care workers, nursing home residents, the elderly -- have all been vaccinated already.  They're not "high risk" anymore.  They're more like "zero risk."

Currently, the folks who are now most threatened by covid are folks like us: middle-aged and basically healthy except for one or two chronic conditions that aren't really a big deal but could conceivably snowball when combined with a novel respiratory illness.  Objectively, covid is and never really was hugely threatening for us, but on a relative scale we're now at the top of the risk profile because everyone else at a higher elevation is already immune.

There's no rational reason to feel guilty about getting vaccinated when it's your turn.  There would be a really good rational reason to feel guilty about postponing your vaccination though.  The same ethical argument for why you should wear a mask applies to why you should get vaccinated first thing when your number comes up.  It benefits you, of course, but it also benefits everybody around you.

Actually, looking at the NC groupings, occupation comes before health - that is, front line workers were group 3, health risks (less than 65) are group 4, which starts Wednesday. 

My friend, btw, is a transplant recipient.  NC put grocery store workers ahead of him.  Honestly, it probably a good choice as he is a WFH kind of guy and isn't out there exposed to others by profession.

Edited by moleculo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

 

Personally, I'm waiting for a while yet before I put myself on any lists.  The elderly, teachers, garbage collectors, and cashiers should have every opportunity to get a vaccine before I do. After that, I'm likely to sign up. 

I would have done the same but for my asthma/hypertension.  I used my job as legal justification but in reality, it was health.  And at the end of the day, it will end up being a difference of 8 days...thats it (NC opens up next group on 3/17)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Personally, I'm waiting for a while yet before I put myself on any lists.  The elderly, teachers, garbage collectors, and cashiers should have every opportunity to get a vaccine before I do. After that, I'm likely to sign up. 

This is exactly where Mrs APK and I are.   Lots of people need this vaccine before us.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello awesome FBG community - what is the going consensus here if offered a pick of any of the three vaccines - J&J, Moderna or Pfizer? Which are people picking? TIA.

+++++++

This is the note from my HCP:

"Johnson & Johnson (single dose), Moderna (two doses 28 days apart), Pfizer (two doses 21 days apart)."

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

51 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Hello awesome FBG community - what is the going consensus here if offered a pick of any of the three vaccines - J&J, Moderna or Pfizer? Which are people picking? TIA.

+++++++

This is the note from my HCP:

"Johnson & Johnson (single dose), Moderna (two doses 28 days apart), Pfizer (two doses 21 days apart)."

I'd take the J&J cuz is 1 and done.  Leave the others for truly high risk folks.

Edited by The Z Machine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got my first shot last week.  In Oklahoma they opened up to all essential workers last week and I'm considered essential even though I've been working at home for over a year.  :shrug:

I was considering waiting for others to go ahead of me, but my in-laws and parents all have been vaccinated and are having various health maladies which have needed our assistance.  My wife and daughter are also in healthcare and have already been vaccinated.  So I went ahead and got mine to be able to help w/ the parents and because I'm the last in our circle to get one.  

Arm was a little sore, but nothing more than a normal flu shot.

Oh, I got Pfizer and am already scheduled for shot #2 at the end of March.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tired of waiting for PA so I just booked an appointment for me and the wife across the border in Ohio where they have opened to 50 & older.  We go Wednesday night in Youngstown.  It's a little more than an hour away but worth it.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I received my first shot, Moderna, on 3/5.  Ended up driving all the way to Mizzou to get it because they had more vaccines than people that wanted them there. The MO gov has been sending the vaccine to rural areas that voted for him.  Granted most of these places it has been pretty bad because they could "have their freedom taken away" and wear a mask.  Some places have gotten more of the vaccine than they have citizens. STL & KC have been getting the screwed. I know dozens of people that have been traveling all over the state to get the extra vaccines.  It's horribly unfair.

Edited by St. Louis Bob
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, St. Louis Bob said:

I received my first shot, Moderna, on 3/5.  Ended up driving all the way to Mizzou to get it because they had more vaccines than people that wanted them there. The MO gov has been sending the vaccine to rural areas that voted for him.  Granted most of these places it has been pretty bad because they could "have their freedom taken away" and wear a mask.  Some places have gotten more of the vaccine than they have citizens. STL & KC have been getting the screwed. I know dozens of people that have been traveling all over the state to get the extra vaccines.  It's horribly unfair.

Yeah, I've been frustrated too but as was helpfully explained in this post, it should all work out in not too long because lower-demand areas will start getting less vaccine and higher-demand areas will get more vaccine.  Hopefully the blue states  where it's still tough to get the shot (MD, PA, IL, etc.) will be able to massively ramp up operations to accommodate greater supply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/13/2021 at 6:17 PM, Alex P Keaton said:

Really nice to see all the wealthy white people around me jumping the line though.  I’ve learned a lot about which people in my circle have moral standards and which people don’t.

I know a few people who used the "elderly caregiver" reason for getting signed up.  And I totally get it but some folks are playing a little fast and loose with "caregiver".  I had elderly parents and in-laws.  We have always helped them out when needed but are by no means their caregiver.  Some folks are using that to get signed up.  I think there's a difference between wanting to get it so you can spend time with them and needing to get it because they truly need your help.  I would be the former and for that reason I've waited.

 

ETA - just to be clear, I'm only addressing the jumping the line issue and my comment isn't related to the wealthy white people part - although to be fair, the people I know that have done it would fall in to that category. 

Edited by AAABatteries
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having said that - they opened up Georgia this morning and I'm eligible to pre-register now due to being overweight (BMI > 25).  Considering how rampant obesity is I think they should have gone with >30 - I only weigh 196 and think I should have to go in line behind folks 250-300+.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

Having said that - they opened up Georgia this morning and I'm eligible to pre-register now due to being overweight (BMI > 25).  Considering how rampant obesity is I think they should have gone with >30 - I only weigh 196 and think I should have to go in line behind folks 250-300+.

I weighed 208 pounds this morning. That makes me 4 pounds into obese!!!

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/12/2021 at 10:40 AM, nirad3 said:

I heard you have to be SUPER-obese to qualify under the "obese" pre-existing condition. I'm "fairly fat" and don't think I'll qualify there.  Maybe I should take up smokin' cigs.  :lol:

Super obese (BMI>50) used to be an actual medical diagnosis, as was super-super obese (>60). Those terms have fallen out of favor, though I like the idea of labeling anyone whose BMI is that high as “unfairly fat”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've done a lot of thinking about the reasons why it's so much harder to get a vaccine in certain places than others, here is my current thinking:

1) Roughly speaking, people can divided into three groups:

A) "really want a vaccine right away will get it at first chance";
B) "will get a vaccine but not in a big rush" and
C) "will not get vaccinated."  

2) A lot of us have been primarily focusing on group C to explain why, for example, it seems really easy to get a vaccine in Texas but not in Maryland.  Places where there are more anti-vaxxers are going to have more supply for everyone else.  But that never really made that much sense to me.  We've only vaccinated like 20-30% of the population, how many anti-vaxxers are there?  Shouldn't it still be tough to get a vaccine in Texas?

3) What I really think is the reason for the disparity is the Group A/B dynamic. I think a lot of cities and blue states have a high percentage of Group A people, whereas more rural and red places have more Group B people.  And that makes sense because . . .

4) People have been living their lives very differently this year.  For example, for me the vaccine will be life changing.  I used to go to the gym like 3-4 times a week, I haven't been in a year.  I haven't seen much of my friends and family in person.  I haven't been able to date nearly as much.  I haven't been to an indoor restaurant or bar all year.  So of course I'm in Group A -- there are huge rewards for me as soon as I'm vaccinated (even besides the not-getting-COVID part),  By contrast, it sounds like in some places life hasn't really even been all that different.  If you've been living your life pretty normally for the last year, there's a lot less urgency to get the shot.  You're not going to make any special effort to get it right away.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

I've done a lot of thinking about the reasons why it's so much harder to get a vaccine in certain places than others, here is my current thinking:

1) Roughly speaking, people can divided into three groups:

A) "really want a vaccine right away will get it at first chance";
B) "will get a vaccine but not in a big rush" and
C) "will not get vaccinated."  

2) A lot of us have been primarily focusing on group C to explain why, for example, it seems really easy to get a vaccine in Texas but not in Maryland.  Places where there are more anti-vaxxers are going to have more supply for everyone else.  But that never really made that much sense to me.  We've only vaccinated like 20-30% of the population, how many anti-vaxxers are there?  Shouldn't it still be tough to get a vaccine in Texas?

3) What I really think is the reason for the disparity is the Group A/B dynamic. I think a lot of cities and blue states have a high percentage of Group A people, whereas more rural and red places have more Group B people.  And that makes sense because . . .

4) People have been living their lives very differently this year.  For example, for me the vaccine will be life changing.  I used to go to the gym like 3-4 times a week, I haven't been in a year.  I haven't seen much of my friends and family in person.  I haven't been able to date nearly as much.  I haven't been to an indoor restaurant or bar all year.  So of course I'm in Group A -- there are huge rewards for me as soon as I'm vaccinated (even besides the not-getting-COVID part),  By contrast, it sounds like in some places life hasn't really even been all that different.  If you've been living your life pretty normally for the last year, there's a lot less urgency to get the shot.  You're not going to make any special effort to get it right away.

I think this is right.  Life for most of the people in my county is not much different than 2019 save some of us are still working from home and we are wearing masks.  The only other thing is attending large public events - sporting events, places or worship, etc.  But some folks are doing those things too - or at least where it's still open.  I would still say that I'm in group A and there's stuff I've been avoiding - hanging out at the local brewery or tap house, indoor dining, etc. that I will probably resume.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

St. Patrick's Day, 11am for first dose (Pfizer).  Excited.  Figure even if one arm is sore I can hoist a Guinness with the other one.

I was nervous as I have a pre-existing condition and had documentation from my cardiologist.  Thought it was going to be chaos this morning when they released new appointments.  Didn't trust the "self attestation" part with millions eligible and maybe millions more trying to game the system.  But I was able to get one within minutes 2 days from now.  See light at the end of the tunnel!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

St. Patrick's Day, 11am for first dose (Pfizer).  Excited.  Figure even if one arm is sore I can hoist a Guinness with the other one.

Exact same here. In my town, no less. I'm very excited.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Terminalxylem said:

Super obese (BMI>50) used to be an actual medical diagnosis, as was super-super obese (>60).

Because of language I won't link to it ... but these designations remind me of a very early South Park skit. Cartman was trying to "bulk up" and Kyle was asking him "Bulk up to what?".

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

I've done a lot of thinking about the reasons why it's so much harder to get a vaccine in certain places than others, here is my current thinking:

1) Roughly speaking, people can divided into three groups:

A) "really want a vaccine right away will get it at first chance";
B) "will get a vaccine but not in a big rush" and
C) "will not get vaccinated."  

2) A lot of us have been primarily focusing on group C to explain why, for example, it seems really easy to get a vaccine in Texas but not in Maryland.  Places where there are more anti-vaxxers are going to have more supply for everyone else.  But that never really made that much sense to me.  We've only vaccinated like 20-30% of the population, how many anti-vaxxers are there?  Shouldn't it still be tough to get a vaccine in Texas?

3) What I really think is the reason for the disparity is the Group A/B dynamic. I think a lot of cities and blue states have a high percentage of Group A people, whereas more rural and red places have more Group B people.  And that makes sense because . . .

4) People have been living their lives very differently this year.  For example, for me the vaccine will be life changing.  I used to go to the gym like 3-4 times a week, I haven't been in a year.  I haven't seen much of my friends and family in person.  I haven't been able to date nearly as much.  I haven't been to an indoor restaurant or bar all year.  So of course I'm in Group A -- there are huge rewards for me as soon as I'm vaccinated (even besides the not-getting-COVID part),  By contrast, it sounds like in some places life hasn't really even been all that different.  If you've been living your life pretty normally for the last year, there's a lot less urgency to get the shot.  You're not going to make any special effort to get it right away.

I think this is generally accurate.  

Also, distribution seems to be going better in less populated/rural areas.  I think that's because of less people in general.  Even Oklahoma is way ahead of the curve on the rollout and as a state we suck at most things.  Alaska has opened up shots to everyone over 16, I'm sure they have a lot of B/C type folks but they also just have less people that need the shot(s).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been anxious to get a shot. Oddly enough dropped close to 30 lbs which took me out of the obese category but just last week Minnesota opened up to agriculture as essential workers so I got my Pfizer shot. Not feeling guilty as I suspect in a week or so we will start having a surplus as there will be many who don’t want the vaccine. I have noticed many of those in the metro area have been traveling to get shots more available in the rural areas. I suspect it has something to do with more Republicans in the rural areas. I know we were to keep politics out of this but seeing polls show almost half of White Republican men say they don’t plan getting  the vaccine which seems strange seeing of the former President Trump got his shot back in January 

Edited by lazyike
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Poke_4_Life said:

I think this is generally accurate.  

Also, distribution seems to be going better in less populated/rural areas.  I think that's because of less people in general.  Even Oklahoma is way ahead of the curve on the rollout and as a state we suck at most things.  Alaska has opened up shots to everyone over 16, I'm sure they have a lot of B/C type folks but they also just have less people that need the shot(s).

If vaccine doses are being distributed to the states in proportion to population, the bold should be irrelevant.

The B/C ratio makes a lot of sense though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, lazyike said:

Been anxious to get a shot. Oddly enough dropped close to 30 lbs which took me out of the obese category but just last week Minnesota opened up to agriculture as essential workers so I got my Pfizer shot. Not feeling guilty as I suspect in a week or so we will start having a surplus as there will be many who don’t want the vaccine. I have noticed many of those in the metro area have been traveling to get shots more available in the rural areas. I suspect it has something to do with more Republicans in the rural areas. I know we were to keep politics out of this but seeing polls show almost half of White Republican men say they don’t plan getting  the vaccine which seems strange seeing of the former President Trump got his shot back in January 

Congrats on the first shot!

It isn't political to share polling results as an explanation for pace of vaccination.  It's just statistics/math.   And the explanation makes perfect sense when polls show 90% of Dems want a vaccine and 50% of R's want one (as of now, subject to change in the future).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Round 1 Pfizer.  Kicked my ###.     I had Covid so maybe my reaction was more severe.   Missed two days of work.  Muscle cramping, night sweats.      Not looking forward to my 2nd dose at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

Round 1 Pfizer.  Kicked my ###.     I had Covid so maybe my reaction was more severe.   Missed two days of work.  Muscle cramping, night sweats.      Not looking forward to my 2nd dose at all.

Lucky for me nothing but arm soreness. Actually went out and ran a few miles the first day. No symptoms at all day 2.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

Round 1 Pfizer.  Kicked my ###.     I had Covid so maybe my reaction was more severe.   Missed two days of work.  Muscle cramping, night sweats.      Not looking forward to my 2nd dose at all.

A workmate of mine, an older gent, had COVID early on and the vaccination was also pretty rough on him. So there is likely some validity to that. In fact, he never missed work WHILE he had COVID. But he missed a day after his second dose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/14/2021 at 12:09 PM, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Hello awesome FBG community - what is the going consensus here if offered a pick of any of the three vaccines - J&J, Moderna or Pfizer? Which are people picking? TIA.

+++++++

This is the note from my HCP:

"Johnson & Johnson (single dose), Moderna (two doses 28 days apart), Pfizer (two doses 21 days apart)."

1.I lean towards J&J because it's just one shot. Also, we're probably all going to need a booster in 3 months (and maybe 3 months after that) and I'd think that J&J would be much more convenient for that process.

2. please post more!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

Round 1 Pfizer.  Kicked my ###.     I had Covid so maybe my reaction was more severe.   Missed two days of work.  Muscle cramping, night sweats.      Not looking forward to my 2nd dose at all.

We generally have seen it hit people hard on the first dose if they’ve had COVID or second dose if they haven’t.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gotta say that Arizona seems to be doing great for the most part. Hit a hiccup with one of their programs. We partnered with the county to vaccinate essential workers, specifically grocery store workers and other food workers. The only problem is that no one signed up. The signup was by invite only so we’re not sure if the link was poorly distributed or just a complete lack of interest. Luckily we were able to shift some appointments around to today so that the day wasn’t a total loss. Now we’re waiting to see if people start signing up or if they will allow us to vaccinate other essential workers without appointments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, beef said:

I went with Moderna because it was the first one offered to me.   

Same here.  My first shot was last Thursday.  No side effects at all except for a sore arm, but I do have to chime in and say that I was genuinely surprised at just how sore my arm was.  I actually lost sleep on Thursday night due to this, and it was still noticeably sore well into Friday.  

Needless to say, that's a totally fine tradeoff.  If shoulder-punches from Mike Tyson prevented covid-19, I would try my best to take mine like a man.

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got my first shot on Sunday. I have Asthma which put into the current group here in NY.  My arm was shockingly sore and is still sore today. I also felt very tired and rundown - not entirely sure if that was the shot or daylight savings hangover. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Biff84 said:

Gotta say that Arizona seems to be doing great for the most part. Hit a hiccup with one of their programs. We partnered with the county to vaccinate essential workers, specifically grocery store workers and other food workers. The only problem is that no one signed up. The signup was by invite only so we’re not sure if the link was poorly distributed or just a complete lack of interest. Luckily we were able to shift some appointments around to today so that the day wasn’t a total loss. Now we’re waiting to see if people start signing up or if they will allow us to vaccinate other essential workers without appointments.

Which county? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My sister in law worked in a group home as a therapist for folks with schizophrenia and other assorted mental illnesses. 3 weeks ago, she called and said that the entire staff and patients were getting the shot and there is a chance that they may have extra. Sure enough, we got a call where she said we needed to get down there ASAP for a few patients had refused the vaccine and there were a couple extra. My wife and I got the 3rd and 2nd to last doses they had. Have 2nd shot scheduled for Thursday.

However, my wife found her sister dead in her apartment last week. Apparent overdose (intentional or not unknown at this time - she struggled mightily for many years with mental health and addiction. She was 37 years old and she had only been sober for a few months at a time for the entire time I knew her).

Now, we need to call her work to make sure we are still on the schedule to get our 2nd shot Thursday. It is a secure facility and we need someone to let us in and all that jazz. ####### awkward.

 

  • Sad 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
  • Create New...