What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Please join me in eliminating this word from the Shark Pool/Board (1 Viewer)

Actually I find "launching an assault" offensive compared with "owner/own". But all this seems over the top.  I had to "buy" my FF team so I am the owner. I may sell it after this season though.

I'm not sure why folks are pining for a thread lock now some 5 days later. 

When you know someone is asking you to not post a certain word or language, and they acknowledge that it's going to be a back and forth and you understand that folks don't use it all the time in malice...BUT

-When folks are posting the racism in your face in the very thread you are asking or calling attention to an issue you would like to see either discussed or implemented and the Board CEO Joe actually started the same issue 2 years ago so it's not really news that MoP did any of this...and you inject words that cut right to the racism and slavery of America's past, that is pretty awful i think and you should be ashamed of yourself for not being able to control yourself. 

It's one thing to have some hatred or some axe to grin on the OP but to lower yourself and stoop to blatant racist posts that want nothing but to injure and harm, I'm sorry but that is pathetic. It's unfortunate a few bad apples have to try and spoil it for everyone. 

If you have nothing to say about the OP which i will be happy to repost to keep it on topic...yeah thats a great idea actually. It was simple. 

Greetings everyone, 

I have been sitting on this for a while now and I even am guilty of using this word and didn't realize how offensive it likely is until more recently in the last couple years. Definitely, 2020 has had an impact on me in so many ways I couldn't begin to list all of them. This particular word just seems wrong and I am going to offer a couple of other suggestions/solutions as I have given it a lot of thought. 

The word I think is offensive and one we should strive not to use in here is/are "Owner/Own" when we are talking about human beings. I will not dignify the obvious vertical here, I think most of you understand when I say Own/Owner and we are talking about human beings vs Christmas Trees.

I am not launching an assault on anyone. It's totally OK if you never thought twice about it until right now but I invite you to take a step back like a lot of us did when they outlawed the H2H strikes in the secondary and defenseless receiver and I'm simply asking you to think about it and please join me in using a couple different words that will say the same thing and be a lot less obtuse as a group and please hear me out. 

My Suggestions: Managers because that's what we are really doing, acting as GMs, we don't really own these guys. You can abbreviate this with FFM for fantasy football managers and it's only 3 letters long, everyone knows what you mean. My next suggestion is Player because that's what you are doing. You're playing a game, you're gambling, most of us in here. FFP similar to FFM. 

-I want to stress, I'm not running for office around here, it's just simply the right thing to do. I try and do my best in the Shark Pool to be as neutral as possible and always treat others the way I want to be treated...sometimes I miss the mark. This season has been a roller coaster and I've already applauded all of you for making this season one of the very best I can ever remember despite the pandemic and I want to give back and do something for ALL of US. 

I'll open the floor up and I hope many of you join me. We don't have to discuss why we should do this, I feel it's painfully obvious. If there are some other words people feel should be discussed, please speak up. We had an NFL team renamed  🤷‍♂️   It's just time everyone, you know it and I know it.

👍

When you know someone is asking you to not post a certain word or language, and they acknowledge that it's going to be a back and forth and you understand that folks don't use it all the time in malice...BUT

-When folks are posting the racism in your face in the very thread you are asking or calling attention to an issue you would like to see either discussed or implemented and the Board CEO Joe actually started the same issue 2 years ago so it's not really news that MoP did any of this...and you inject words that cut right to the racism and slavery of America's past, that is pretty awful i think and you should be ashamed of yourself for not being able to control yourself. 

It's one thing to have some hatred or some axe to grin on the OP but to lower yourself and stoop to blatant racist posts that want nothing but to injure and harm, I'm sorry but that is pathetic. It's unfortunate a few bad apples have to try and spoil it for everyone. 

If you have nothing to say about the OP which i will be happy to repost to keep it on topic...yeah thats a great idea actually. It was simple. 
MOP with all due respect it seems you are having a difficult time discerning the difference between "fantasy and reality".  People are just playing a make believe game for entertainment.   Try to be more tolerant and let them use whatever term they want to use in the fake game they/we play.

Google fantasy sports and right away every website says "Owned by whatever %"   That is true are they are owned in the little league anyone plays in.  That includes NHL and MLB fantasy teams as well. I have even heard NFL and NCAA players use the term. Last year after a huge game Derrick Henry said "I know all my FF owners are happy"

Fantasy: The activity of imagining things that are impossible and improbable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much comes down to the English language being used during a horrible time of slavery and other dark periods.  There are easily dozens of commonly used FF words that might offend.  Really the only solution is to change languages in this country.

IWhen folks are posting the racism in your face in the very thread you are asking or calling attention to an issue you would like to see either discussed or implemented and the Board CEO Joe actually started the same issue 2 years ago so it's not really news that MoP did any of this...and you inject words that cut right to the racism and slavery of America's past, that is pretty awful i think and you should be ashamed of yourself for not being able to control yourself. 

This has to be schtick, right?

Doubling down? A serious question to ponder for your peace. Why does what someone says  in a fantasy football forum affect you so much? Why does what anyone says ever need to affect your peace? I don't know you but I do see that you are frustrated and feeling victimized. You don't have to be either. Maybe your not and this is all schtick. But on the chance this is a legit post maybe ponder this question, for a better existence.

Pretty much comes down to the English language being used during a horrible time of slavery and other dark periods.  There are easily dozens of commonly used FF words that might offend.  Really the only solution is to change languages in this country.
Wait just a cotton pickin' minute here

🤨🤔

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings everyone, 

I have been sitting on this for a while now and I even am guilty of using this word and didn't realize how offensive it likely is until more recently in the last couple years. Definitely, 2020 has had an impact on me in so many ways I couldn't begin to list all of them. This particular word just seems wrong and I am going to offer a couple of other suggestions/solutions as I have given it a lot of thought. 

The word I think is offensive and one we should strive not to use in here is/are "Owner/Own" when we are talking about human beings. I will not dignify the obvious vertical here, I think most of you understand when I say Own/Owner and we are talking about human beings vs Christmas Trees.

I am not launching an assault on anyone. It's totally OK if you never thought twice about it until right now but I invite you to take a step back like a lot of us did when they outlawed the H2H strikes in the secondary and defenseless receiver and I'm simply asking you to think about it and please join me in using a couple different words that will say the same thing and be a lot less obtuse as a group and please hear me out. 

My Suggestions: Managers because that's what we are really doing, acting as GMs, we don't really own these guys. You can abbreviate this with FFM for fantasy football managers and it's only 3 letters long, everyone knows what you mean. My next suggestion is Player because that's what you are doing. You're playing a game, you're gambling, most of us in here. FFP similar to FFM. 

-I want to stress, I'm not running for office around here, it's just simply the right thing to do. I try and do my best in the Shark Pool to be as neutral as possible and always treat others the way I want to be treated...sometimes I miss the mark. This season has been a roller coaster and I've already applauded all of you for making this season one of the very best I can ever remember despite the pandemic and I want to give back and do something for ALL of US. 

I'll open the floor up and I hope many of you join me. We don't have to discuss why we should do this, I feel it's painfully obvious. If there are some other words people feel should be discussed, please speak up. We had an NFL team renamed  🤷‍♂️   It's just time everyone, you know it and I know it.

👍
Personally i don't see any reason for the change.  No one owns anyone.  In FF you are "owning" an image of that player.  When you bench a player it doesn't take him out the NFL lineup.  And the players DO benefit from FF.  Things like Draft Kings and Fanduel pay the NFL directly to be a sponsor from year to year and that goes into the money on how the Salary cap is figured.  I don't approve of people tweeting at players for bad games or even good games.  They are doing their job to the best of their ability, and people should grow up and not harrass people for their own decisions.  And that goes for normal fans that don't play FF.  If you don't like a player or a team then watch something else....

As for WFT rename keep in mind that people offended by the old name were not by majority of Native Americans.  A liberal newspaper the Washington Post ran 2 different polls of only native americans and both times it showed a majority either didn't care or were in favor of the old name and that was at least 2 years ago.  I am 25% Cherokee and I don't care if it is Washington Football Team or the old Washington Redskins.  It's a football team and what it is named is not going to give me much pain one way or another.  I have more issues with the owner as a fan than the decision on the team name.

To MOP i don't mean this as anything against you, but i don't like when people try to control free speech. Indeed you opinion in the thread is free speech and you should be able to say what you feel.  People should be able to speak their mind.  I mean just before the civil war abolishinists were not in any kind of majority at all, in fact a small minority and they contributed a lot to change of thinking during the war to help end slavery.  We should have more free speech not less.  This thread caught my eye and i haven't read the other pages but felt like i wanted to comment.

Personally i don't see any reason for the change.  No one owns anyone.  In FF you are "owning" an image of that player.  When you bench a player it doesn't take him out the NFL lineup.  And the players DO benefit from FF.  Things like Draft Kings and Fanduel pay the NFL directly to be a sponsor from year to year and that goes into the money on how the Salary cap is figured.  I don't approve of people tweeting at players for bad games or even good games.  They are doing their job to the best of their ability, and people should grow up and not harrass people for their own decisions.  And that goes for normal fans that don't play FF.  If you don't like a player or a team then watch something else....

As for WFT rename keep in mind that people offended by the old name were not by majority of Native Americans.  A liberal newspaper the Washington Post ran 2 different polls of only native americans and both times it showed a majority either didn't care or were in favor of the old name and that was at least 2 years ago.  I am 25% Cherokee and I don't care if it is Washington Football Team or the old Washington Redskins.  It's a football team and what it is named is not going to give me much pain one way or another.  I have more issues with the owner as a fan than the decision on the team name.

To MOP i don't mean this as anything against you, but i don't like when people try to control free speech. Indeed you opinion in the thread is free speech and you should be able to say what you feel.  People should be able to speak their mind.  I mean just before the civil war abolishinists were not in any kind of majority at all, in fact a small minority and they contributed a lot to change of thinking during the war to help end slavery.  We should have more free speech not less.  This thread caught my eye and i haven't read the other pages but felt like i wanted to comment.
Great post. We can always have a different view point. I understand how you feel and many others in the same vertical or genre explaining this isn't real, it's fantasy, again to each their own. 

This isn't much different than when someone decides not to use foul language around others that might be offended. For example, certain friends' ears curl at the sound of the JC/GD and would rather hear the "F Bomb" vs the other two...do you think I say gosh darn around these folks much? Not if I want to have a good conversation with them so I try and alter my language for the audience I am around. 

I'm not berating or trying to light anyone up who is currently using the word in the OP, I don't see why they should get so excited about it unless I actually hit a nerve, accidentally. 

Cheers Man, don't be a stranger. 

Great post. We can always have a different view point. I understand how you feel and many others in the same vertical or genre explaining this isn't real, it's fantasy, again to each their own. 

This isn't much different than when someone decides not to use foul language around others that might be offended. For example, certain friends' ears curl at the sound of the JC/GD and would rather hear the "F Bomb" vs the other two...do you think I say gosh darn around these folks much? Not if I want to have a good conversation with them so I try and alter my language for the audience I am around. 

I'm not berating or trying to light anyone up who is currently using the word in the OP, I don't see why they should get so excited about it unless I actually hit a nerve, accidentally. 

Cheers Man, don't be a stranger. 
What you are referring to is respect for others thoughts and believes.  That is something all should do.  My parents biggest life lesson : treat people like you want to be treated.  That would go along way in this country if people did that.

In some ways i agree with you about owning a player.  In real sense you own the right to use their stats. That is why i commented about the players getting crap on social media.  Players have a gift, they use it and benefit from it.  God gives a gift to everyone and people need to use theirs and leave others to use their gifts.  And i don't have a problem with people booing in the stands, they pay for the privelege.  Doesn't give you the right to abuse them verbally though.

And players need to stop worrying about social media.  I mean the dancing by JuJu on tik tok, and they are getting their butts handed to them right now. 17 zip.  Perfect your craft and work hard and make lots of money.  And i think JuJu is a good guy....

Why is it “important” to eliminate that word in the context of fantasy football? It just doesn’t make any sense at all. If you’re equivocating it to slave ownership that seems to take a ton of mental gymnastics. It’s like you’re the one creating an issue that just doesn’t exist.

Its not like I want to keep the word “owner” so badly it’s just that I really couldn’t muster an ounce of concern whether it’s used or not because it’s just not offensive in any way whatsoever.

If you want it gone so bad, please tell us what is inherently wrong with owning something? 

Why is it “important” to eliminate that word in the context of fantasy football? It just doesn’t make any sense at all. If you’re equivocating it to slave ownership that seems to take a ton of mental gymnastics. It’s like you’re the one creating an issue that just doesn’t exist.

Its not like I want to keep the word “owner” so badly it’s just that I really couldn’t muster an ounce of concern whether it’s used or not because it’s just not offensive in any way whatsoever.

If you want it gone so bad, please tell us what is inherently wrong with owning something? 
MOP knows that it has nothing to do with slavery.

You know that it has nothing to do with slavery.

MOP knows that you know that it has nothing to do with slavery.

You know that MOP knows that you know that it has nothing to do with slavery.

This is all about some hypothetical third party somewhere, who somehow stumbled into the belief that fantasy football supports slavery.  It's a bad solution to an imaginary problem.

This is all about some hypothetical third party somewhere, who somehow stumbled into the belief that fantasy football supports slavery.  It's a bad solution to an imaginary problem.
Can I call up Justin Hebert and ask him to wash my car tomorrow because I own him? 

I "own" a fantasy football team that exists only in the context of that league. At worst saying I "own" Le'Veon Bell is a bit awkward since I actually just have the right to his stats in that one particular league. It's like people that get bent out of shape over the term "Almond Milk" because it's not actually milk - but it's really just easier to say "Almond Milk" than "Almond Milk Substitute". It's just easier to say "I own Bell" than it is to say "I own the rights to Bell's stats in one fantasy league".

I'm fairly liberal on social issues, but this "issue" is purely just people wanting to act like they are super woke.

Is it also offensive in Fantasy Baseball where there aren't even any African American players in the league anymore?

To be fair to MOP, this isn’t the first I’ve heard of this. There have actually been a few pretty big pushes to get rid of the term “owner” in fantasy sports for the exact reason he is citing.

I do think it’s misguided for the reasons cited.

Though I think I can agree that it’s logical to refer to folks as fantasy owners of teams, but maybe not logical to refer to people as owners of players. Maybe it does actually make more sense to just say you “have X player on your team” rather than to say you “own X player”. It’s a small thing, but NFL owners aren’t referred to as owning a player and I could even see that it would feel kind of weird if someone told me that they “owned” me even if I knew they were referring to fantasy football.

Generally I’m a fan of referring to people in ways that make sense and have the least potential to cause pain. Sometimes I think it goes too far to the point of destroying language and/or being illogical, but in this case it does seem to make sense in the context of “owning players” and seems like a small ask. But it DOESN’T make sense when referring to fantasy TEAM owners.

SAWFT world we live in. 

FANTASY- 

noun

the faculty or activity of imagining things, especially things that are impossible or improbable.

It’s impossible to have meaningful conversations about eliminating racism if this is the trivial extremism people will sink to.  Let’s just make all words in all contexts offensive, and then we can finally stop talking to each other.

I wish I didn't own Mostert.

That said, do I truly own something if I can't sell it and their are copies available on the waiver wire?

Users who are viewing this thread