What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (4 Viewers)

I think for me it's the same as with Andy.  Once we win one, I'll be happy if he wins some.  But I would be bummed and the media would be ridiculous if Indy wins a SB in the next few years.
I believe that Eagles fans should be more concerned with the Eagles going forward and what they do in this draft and future drafts, rather than worry about the success / failure of a player that is no longer on their team.  Even if the Colts win a SB with Wentz, that doesn't mean the Eagles would have done the same down the road.  It takes 53 and there are too many variables that go into winning a title (see Dan Marino).  But, to wish bad fortune on a player they gave up on in order to make their trade look better, well, that is petty.

Heard this was a bit of both. Wentz isn't uncoachable like some want it to seem. Chris Long said what I've heard a ll along that Press Taylor just wasn't the right coach for him as the position guy plus Doug wasn't holding coaches accountable for piss poor performances in coaching. Wentz is stubborn and if he doesn't have a guy calling out his bull#### he'll continue to do his thing. Press Taylor tried to be Carson's best friend which doesn't work with this aspect. Wentz needs to be coached hard and there's nothing wrong with that as some greats loved being coached hard. MJ loved how Phil Jackson and company pushed him to be better. Brady seemed to like it from Bill and Josh McDainel as well. 

So it's a little of both however I also blame Pederson for not calling out Taylor or replacing him with someone who was a bit tougher. Press seems like he is really smart but not the right type of coach for Carson unless the other coach involved is the one pressing (pun intended) Wentz on the issues. 
flowing out of the rumor mill, but Carson didn't want to go to Chicago because of DeFelipo. they said they tried a "good cop, bad cop" thing to coach Carson and DeFelippo was the "bad cop". Just seems like Carson is tough to deal with, and listening to his press conferences this year after he threw the ball 5 yards over everyone's head, it just seems like the Colts bought into a headache. Can still play out well if Carson plays well on the field, but it seems like it could be a mess too

flowing out of the rumor mill, but Carson didn't want to go to Chicago because of DeFelipo. they said they tried a "good cop, bad cop" thing to coach Carson and DeFelippo was the "bad cop". Just seems like Carson is tough to deal with, and listening to his press conferences this year after he threw the ball 5 yards over everyone's head, it just seems like the Colts bought into a headache. Can still play out well if Carson plays well on the field, but it seems like it could be a mess too
......thus the reason he didn't bring as much value to the trade for the Eagles.  I'll bet that Ballard used that as part of his bargaining toolbox.  That, along with his performance last year ;)   In my mind the risk was worth it that he will do well in Indy, but even if he doesn't, it's not like they sold the farm for him.  I'm betting that on the right team, with the right supporting cast, with the right coach and organization, he is set up for success.

I believe that Eagles fans should be more concerned with the Eagles going forward and what they do in this draft and future drafts, rather than worry about the success / failure of a player that is no longer on their team.  Even if the Colts win a SB with Wentz, that doesn't mean the Eagles would have done the same down the road.  It takes 53 and there are too many variables that go into winning a title (see Dan Marino).  But, to wish bad fortune on a player they gave up on in order to make their trade look better, well, that is petty.
They should but they won't.

Predictable posting in here. Always trash a guy on his way out. Same happened to Nick not that Foles was nearly as talented as Carson but people bought into Bradford so fast and buried Nick right away. 

So, I'm sure this means the Eagles take a QB now. Maybe trade their first and second to move to Miami's pick?  Stay put and take a chance on one of top 4 qbs drop?  Take a different position? 
i kind of hope not. i think it all depends on if the Eagles front office learned anything from this whole Carson situation. They seemed enamored when they drafted him, and it wasn't necessarily because they were that desperate. did they learn anything back then, and did this "QB factory" figure out anything so that they can get an actual QB on their team?

If there's a QB at 9 they like, they need to take him. It's too easy to be mediocre with a lousy QB and end up hamstrung and unable to get back to a top 10-12 pick without giving up a ton of assets. If there isn't a guy they like, then sure, trade back and acquire more darts, or take the best OL available....but I'd have zero issue with a QB at 9.

(I would have an issue with trading several picks to move up and take anyone short of Lawrence...which we know isnt happening)

i just want wentz to play 75% of the snaps for the colts next season.  after that i really dont care what he does

They should but they won't.
disagree here. I am all about the Hater-Aid for Wentz next season so that the Eagles can get a top pick in the 1st round. After that, I am with @Ash and @Deamon, kind of ambivalent and happy he moved on. Won't actively root against him, or likely for him. 

Either way, the whole Carson saga was strange and i'm sure it is great fodder for the next 6 months of sports radio. He had things against him and flukey injuries, but i think he has come culpability for how it all went down as well

Predictable posting in here. Always trash a guy on his way out. Same happened to Nick not that Foles was nearly as talented as Carson but people bought into Bradford so fast and buried Nick right away. 
Yep and all it ever does is validate what a crap fanbase we have. The entire Wentz saga is literally why this fanbase blows. When he’s here and doing well he is loved beyond explanation. One bad year and they turn on you in a second. At the same time we are loyal to some of the biggest scrubs every to lace them up for eternity 

Yep and all it ever does is validate what a crap fanbase we have. The entire Wentz saga is literally why this fanbase blows. When he’s here and doing well he is loved beyond explanation. One bad year and they turn on you in a second. At the same time we are loyal to some of the biggest scrubs every to lace them up for eternity 
maybe, but i think you guys are being a little harsh on the fanbase right now. Probably a good sign of why this situation had only one real solution and that was to move on from it. i think if we look at the '18 and '19 season everyone in here wasn't all giddy about Carson. His fumbling issues have been an albatross for a few years. 

I think why there is a divide with this situation it is because there is a ton that happened behind the scenes that we will likely never know the truth of. That '17 article (maybe it was '18) that had multiple people in the Eagles locker-room trashing Wentz seemed like it was simply fish-bait at the time. But as the year's have gone on there has been more and more that seems like there is something just not clicking for the team.

I also think the early years with Wentz were looked at as "he has some things to work on, but he has great potential". Seeing the same issues with him this past year take a lot of people from thinking he is great with potential to more of an issue. 

Contrast it with Ben Simmons and the Sixers. Quite a few similarities with the fanbase and their appreciation, but Ben seems to understand he has some things not working and has taken steps to try and address and work with people to improve. I am sure Carson has done the same to varying degree so maybe he is catching too harsh of feedback now, but i do think a lot of the reports from the sports media throughout this year have not pained a good picture of them. Maybe some of us take that information to seriously, but there haven't been many counter-arguments to it either. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The positive spin some eagles fans in here are putting on this is honestly quite amusing.   This was a horrible end result.  Organizational failure and nothing is gonna change with howie and lurie at the helm.  Sad sad day to be an eagles fan 

I believe that Eagles fans should be more concerned with the Eagles going forward and what they do in this draft and future drafts, rather than worry about the success / failure of a player that is no longer on their team.  
Welcome to the Shark Pool, glad to see some new folks around here. 

If there's a QB at 9 they like, they need to take him.
Call me crazy but I have Philly pegged as one of the teams Miami will dance with on Draft Day, maybe they want to make a move up to 3 if everyone is there after Lawrence, maybe they go a year with Jalen but I think that is super risky and then you would need to have a truly bad year to go 1-15/2-14 to get a Top 1-2-3 pick in the 2022 NFL Draft looking for the next QB. 

They already are at 9 and they got a couple more picks to maneuver, perhaps they make a few more moves prior to a bigger push to move up the draft board.

All conjecture on my end Rene

maybe, but i think you guys are being a little harsh on the fanbase right now. Probably a good sign of why this situation had only one real solution and that was to move on from it. i think if we look at the '18 and '19 season everyone in here wasn't all giddy about Carson. His fumbling issues have been an albatross for a few years. 

I think why there is a divide with this situation it is because there is a ton that happened behind the scenes that we will likely never know the truth of. That '17 article (maybe it was '18) that had multiple people in the Eagles locker-room trashing Wentz seemed like it was simply fish-bait at the time. But as the year's have gone on there has been more and more that seems like there is something just not clicking for the team.

I also think the early years with Wentz were looked at as "he has some things to work on, but he has great potential". Seeing the same issues with him this past year take a lot of people from thinking he is great with potential to more of an issue. 

Contrast it with Ben Simmons and the Sixers. Quite a few similarities with the fanbase and their appreciation, but Ben seems to understand he has some things not working and has taken steps to try and address and work with people to improve. I am sure Carson has done the same to varying degree so maybe he is catching too harsh of feedback now, but i do think a lot of the reports from the sports media throughout this year have not pained a good picture of them. Maybe some of us take that information to seriously, but there haven't been many counter-arguments to it either. 
What? Ben still refuses to shoot in his 5th year in the league. He's never going to shoot. He happens to be better at defense now and is starting to be more aggressive to the hole but he's never going to shoot the ball. He hasn't changed his mindset since day one.

Call me crazy but I have Philly pegged as one of the teams Miami will dance with on Draft Day, maybe they want to make a move up to 3 if everyone is there after Lawrence, maybe they go a year with Jalen but I think that is super risky and then you would need to have a truly bad year to go 1-15/2-14 to get a Top 1-2-3 pick in the 2022 NFL Draft looking for the next QB. 

They already are at 9 and they got a couple more picks to maneuver, perhaps they make a few more moves prior to a bigger push to move up the draft board.

All conjecture on my end Rene
Eagles are at 6.

And yes, there's a high, high likelihood that the Jets, Dolphins, Falcons, and Bengals spots are being eyed by Philly, Carolina, Denver, and San Fran.

What? Ben still refuses to shoot in his 5th year in the league. He's never going to shoot. He happens to be better at defense now and is starting to be more aggressive to the hole but he's never going to shoot the ball. He hasn't changed his mindset since day one.
lol, this is where we are with Carson too. funny we seem to be on opposite sides with both. I think Doc explains it well in almost all of his post game interviews with questions about Ben. Ben has stated a few ties he is seeing a sports psychologist to work on that mental block, and in his game against Utah talked about how he has began to make progress on it.

Ben also wants to stay in Philly and wants to work with his teammates. I don't think the same can be said for Carson.

And if we want to blame front office blunders for both above, the Sixers outweigh the Eagles by quite a bit. Colangelo-gate was a heck of a hoot

Ben and Carson are going to head in the same direction and both be gone. I don’t think there’s a contrast with these two. They’re perfect examples of the fanbase hating someone because they’re too “clean”. This fanbase doesn’t do well with those types. We need a scrappy, trash talking, hustler who had to fight against the odds to make it. 

Love Embiid and hate Simmons. Hate Harris too until he plays well so now they’re friends again.  

Loved Halladay (gritty just plays the game right) but hated Cole Hamels who was drafted and developed here and a WS MVP. But too clean and from California. Loved Utley (see Halladay), hated Rollins and Howard who were ACTUAL league MVP’s.

The list goes on and on and on. 

Ben and Carson are going to head in the same direction and both be gone. I don’t think there’s a contrast with these two. They’re perfect examples of the fanbase hating someone because they’re too “clean”. This fanbase doesn’t do well with those types. We need a scrappy, trash talking, hustler who had to fight against the odds to make it. 

Love Embiid and hate Simmons. Hate Harris too until he plays well so now they’re friends again.  

Loved Halladay (gritty just plays the game right) but hated Cole Hamels who was drafted and developed here and a WS MVP. But too clean and from California. Loved Utley (see Halladay), hated Rollins and Howard who were ACTUAL league MVP’s.

The list goes on and on and on. 
hmm interesting. I loved Cole Hamels, and am a big fan of Embiid and Ben. i think my lean is for home grown talent. i like seeing the guys brought in as rookies and seeing them develop and grow. also appreciate the city and the local community

What happened to you man? You use to not take personal shots at people? Now you're turning into another one of the other Dal fans 
Hold up, it wasn’t meant cruel, hence the second part. You always have A LOT of commentary on everything that happens so I’m sure everyone was blown away that several hours had passed and not sentence out of you on literally the biggest Eagle move all year. I truly thought you had been banned, but knew you hadn’t really got into it in here. Thought maybe you had a throw down in some other thread. Ease up on the sensitivity  Tonto. 

If there's a QB at 9 they like, they need to take him. It's too easy to be mediocre with a lousy QB and end up hamstrung and unable to get back to a top 10-12 pick without giving up a ton of assets. If there isn't a guy they like, then sure, trade back and acquire more darts, or take the best OL available....but I'd have zero issue with a QB at 9.

(I would have an issue with trading several picks to move up and take anyone short of Lawrence...which we know isnt happening)
Why do you care so much about the Broncos? 😛

We have posted plenty on with what we should do going forward. I like to have a rooting interest (either financially or because of a team I like/hate), so I don't know why it's so taboo to discuss if we will cheer for Carson moving forward or not. 

That's not why he won it. 
Perhaps. But 2 of your 3 examples were players who played under 75 percent of the previous season. 

I forgot about Rivers though. Just seems like almost every time it's a player coming back from Injury.  

I'd think Borrows or Dak would be the favourite. 

We have posted plenty on with what we should do going forward. I like to have a rooting interest (either financially or because of a team I like/hate), so I don't know why it's so taboo to discuss if we will cheer for Carson moving forward or not. 
I think it’s valid because of the conditional pick you guys received. Obviously you want a 1st over a  2nd, so you would root for him to play 75% but stink up the joint. Nothing to do with hating on him.

EAGLES 2021 NFL DRAFT PICKS

1 - Eagles’ own pick (No. 6)

2 - Eagles’ own pick (No. 38)

3 - Eagles’ own pick (No. 70)

3 - Acquired from the Indianapolis Colts (No. 85)

5 - Eagles’ own pick

5 - Acquired from the Dallas Cowboys

6 - Eagles’ own pick

6 - Projected compensatory pick (Jordan Howard)

7 - Eagles’ own pick

I would think rooting for his success and that 2nd turning to a 1st is in the best interest of Eagles fans, but there will be those who want him to do just enough for the pick upgrade, but otherwise want him to fail to feel good about him not being on their team any longer.  I suppose there is something natural about slamming the ex-player to some extent.  They want to feel good about the trade.

Last edited by a moderator:

5 - Eagles’ own pick

6 - Eagles’ own pick

7 - Eagles’ own pick
I’m done with all the Wentz drama now. It is what it is and it’s time for me to move on. I’m all about the draft until I see what we do with the CAP.  

Have to hit the first 4. If we go with Hurts as the starter id like to see:

1st round- one of the big 3 WR’s. Right now I prefer them in the order of Chase, Waddle and Smith but all are interchangeable. 

2nd round- We need to have a CB. Right now I’d like to see Wade, Samuel or Stokes

3rd round pick 70- If we go with Hurts we need more talent at RB behind Sanders and someone who can be a 3rd down RB if needed. Kylin Hill would be a perfect fit. Not only a good receiver but the potential to be a 3-down Rb. 

3rd round pick 85- I’d like a LBer here. JaCoby Stevens from LSU would make a nice WILL and should pair nicely with Singelton in the nickel

With the two 5’s just BPA. OL, Edge or DB’s

5 - Eagles’ own pick

6 - Eagles’ own pick

7 - Eagles’ own pick
4 in the top 100 will make this draft an important one. fingers crossed the Eagles don't completely F this up. Thinking back to last year's draft has to have all of us thinking what the heck this organization is doing. I have no idea how much is on Howie or how much Joe Douglas helped during drafts, but let's hope they learned something to make their drafts better

I’m done with all the Wentz drama now. It is what it is and it’s time for me to move on. I’m all about the draft until I see what we do with the CAP.  

Have to hit the first 4. If we go with Hurts as the starter id like to see:

1st round- one of the big 3 WR’s. Right now I prefer them in the order of Chase, Waddle and Smith but all are interchangeable. 

2nd round- We need to have a CB. Right now I’d like to see Wade, Samuel or Stokes

3rd round pick 70- If we go with Hurts we need more talent at RB behind Sanders and someone who can be a 3rd down RB if needed. Kylin Hill would be a perfect fit. Not only a good receiver but the potential to be a 3-down Rb. 

3rd round pick 85- I’d like a LBer here. JaCoby Stevens from LSU would make a nice WILL and should pair nicely with Singelton in the nickel

With the two 5’s just BPA. OL, Edge or DB’s
i don't think we will be done with the drama for a bit. It is bound to be like a soap opera as rumors and leaks start to show up with all of this down time before the next season starts.

this was the main story on bleacherreport:

TLDR is basically: Shefter said this morning that Doug and Carson didn't talk for like 8-10 weeks during the season. Apparently Carson was salty about the Eagles taking a QB in the 2nd round, and never got over it:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2932560-schefter-carson-wentz-doug-pederson-didnt-talk-for-8-9-10-weeks

Former Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz and head coach Doug Pederson reportedly didn't talk for an extended period of time during the latter stages of the 2020 NFL season.

ESPN's Adam Schefter described the situation during an appearance Friday on 97.5 The Fanatic.

"There are a lot of things that went wrong," Schefter said. "We have the team drafting Jalen Hurts. We have Carson feeling jilted by that. We have the team trying to reassure him. We have Carson not getting past that. We have Carson struggling. We have Carson and Doug not talking for weeks on end during the season, where the head coach and quarterback are not talking for eight, nine, 10 weeks."

i don't think we will be done with the drama for a bit. It is bound to be like a soap opera as rumors and leaks start to show up with all of this down time before the next season starts.

TLDR is basically: Shefter said this morning that Doug and Carson didn't talk for like 8-10 weeks during the season. Apparently Carson was salty about the Eagles taking a QB in the 2nd round, and never got over it:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2932560-schefter-carson-wentz-doug-pederson-didnt-talk-for-8-9-10-weeks

Former Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz and head coach Doug Pederson reportedly didn't talk for an extended period of time during the latter stages of the 2020 NFL season.

ESPN's Adam Schefter described the situation during an appearance Friday on 97.5 The Fanatic.

"There are a lot of things that went wrong," Schefter said. "We have the team drafting Jalen Hurts. We have Carson feeling jilted by that. We have the team trying to reassure him. We have Carson not getting past that. We have Carson struggling. We have Carson and Doug not talking for weeks on end during the season, where the head coach and quarterback are not talking for eight, nine, 10 weeks."
And this is the perfect example why I’m done with it. 

This has already been debunked by Doug and Rob Maaddi as well. If that were true the firing of Doug would have made Carson happy and it did nothing at all

Just like the last 3 weeks, it’s one story after another and the only ones people side with are the ones that fit their narrative. It’s easier for me to just be done with it completely. We will never know

This has already been debunked by Doug and Rob Maaddi as well. If that were true the firing of Doug would have made Carson happy and it did nothing at all

Just like the last 3 weeks, it’s one story after another and the only ones people side with are the ones that fit their narrative. It’s easier for me to just be done with it completely. We will never know
I 100% agree i would love to move on. I will say though that Shefter has been one of the top NFL media guys for a long time and almost all of his stories/articles show up true. Could be the Shefter source is feeding him garbage, but i think when i see a report from him or Mort i pay a little more attention. 

Rob Maaddi has me out a bit since it seems from his recent twitter activity and his stories that he was more of a friend of Wentz and didn't want to report objectively. i could be wrong, but that seems to be a bit of the impression. 

Either way, i do agree with you that i hope to spend like 10-15 minutes a day with this drama for the next few months. No need to get lost in the weeds, both sides have moved on (though apparently not if reports keep coming out) and hopefully all sides are better for it

I 100% agree i would love to move on. I will say though that Shefter has been one of the top NFL media guys for a long time and almost all of his stories/articles show up true. Could be the Shefter source is feeding him garbage, but i think when i see a report from him or Mort i pay a little more attention. 

Rob Maaddi has me out a bit since it seems from his recent twitter activity and his stories that he was more of a friend of Wentz and didn't want to report objectively. i could be wrong, but that seems to be a bit of the impression. 

Either way, i do agree with you that i hope to spend like 10-15 minutes a day with this drama for the next few months. No need to get lost in the weeds, both sides have moved on (though apparently not if reports keep coming out) and hopefully all sides are better for it
I’d take Rob Maaddi’s reporting over any national reporter especially because of how close him and Carson are. That’s before Doug even says it’s all not true AND the fact that Doug’s firing didn’t matter for Carson at all. There’s too much there. Eskin would be all over this as well and I’m sure he’d say it’s BS if he hasn’t already. 

I’d take Rob Maaddi’s reporting over any national reporter especially because of how close him and Carson are. That’s before Doug even says it’s all not true AND the fact that Doug’s firing didn’t matter for Carson at all. There’s too much there. Eskin would be all over this as well and I’m sure he’d say it’s BS if he hasn’t already. 
man, i'm already close to 10-15 minute limit on discussing Wentz drama, so maybe i need to extend that to 20 minutes. 

Would love to know who Shefter is hearing this from then. There was so many reports coming out before this trade about other teams being involved and possible trade scenarios, you have to wonder if the Eagles PR machine is trying some of this, or if it is Wentz's agent. We know Wentz's agent was already sending stuff out near the end of the season last year, so one of them loves the drama in the NFL. Can't imagine anybody is really talking about Carson's time in Philly now besides those 2

man, i'm already close to 10-15 minute limit on discussing Wentz drama, so maybe i need to extend that to 20 minutes. 

Would love to know who Shefter is hearing this from then. There was so many reports coming out before this trade about other teams being involved and possible trade scenarios, you have to wonder if the Eagles PR machine is trying some of this, or if it is Wentz's agent. We know Wentz's agent was already sending stuff out near the end of the season last year, so one of them loves the drama in the NFL. Can't imagine anybody is really talking about Carson's time in Philly now besides those 2
When you look at how varied the reports have been the last 3-4 weeks it’s pretty easy to see IMO. Everyone is hedging and most if not all is tabloid journalism. Say something to get the clicks. 

This situation, IMO, reads like the QB hates the same GM we all hate and is done dealing with it. It’s extremely similar to Watson in Houston. They’ve had enough of upper management and want out due to the team being destroyed around them. That doesn’t make for a good “story” when things have been silent for a month though. Gotta keep those clicks coming Scott Templeton style lol

I wonder if Howie getting fired would have done it.  I’d also love to know the truth about last year’s first 2 picks, in terms of who really wanted Reagor and Hurts, not Jefferson and Jeremy Chinn.

I wonder if Howie getting fired would have done it.  I’d also love to know the truth about last year’s first 2 picks, in terms of who really wanted Reagor and Hurts, not Jefferson and Jeremy Chinn.
i remember at the time with Raegor and Jefferson, it seemed that the team was worried Jefferson was more of a simple slot WR and not as versatile as Raegor was meant to be. 

and i don't think Howie getting fired would have done it. it is very telling when there was really only one team going after Carson, and that team had 3 of his former coaches. It makes it seem like if Reich leaves Indy, Carson won't want to be there anymore either. I find it crazy that a guy who was as high as he was in '17 can not be wanted by so many teams in the league. i know salary cap played a part in it, but looking at the actual numbers and the impact it has on the team that trades for Carson, it seems quite reasonable. 

And a bit one i have been wondering about is how these young WRs the Eagles drafted recently look under a new system and a new QB. questions will abound i am sure if Raegor or JJAW suddenly start to look reliable, but i know there was a stat floating around about who caught passes from Carson and Ertz was around 360 or so, and the next closest was somewhere around 150. Here it is:

Reuben Frank @RoobNBCS

Carson Wentz completed passes to 45 different receivers as an Eagle. Here are his favorite targets:

328 ... Ertz

156 ... Nelly

144 ... Alshon

116 ... Goedert

95 ... J. Matthews

70 ... Ward

68 ... Sproles

67 ... Sanders

56 ... Burton

45 ... Scott

this year will be interesting to see if the same pattern continues or if there is more WR involvement. Granted those names aren't eye-popping, but we all saw how much better Agholar was after he left the Eagles

I think the final nail was after the Hurts pick and there was no making it right after that. I’ve chronicled it before in a lengthy post a few weeks ago. I think the second that pick was made that’s when Wentz knew he wasn’t coming back and was done with us. Firing Howie now wouldn’t even change it. 

what a baby

I think the final nail was after the Hurts pick and there was no making it right after that. I’ve chronicled it before in a lengthy post a few weeks ago. I think the second that pick was made that’s when Wentz knew he wasn’t coming back and was done with us. Firing Howie now wouldn’t even change it. 
my guess is that Howie and the team made that pick because they knew something was up with Carson. No other reason why they would draft a QB in the 2nd round on a team that has a few pieces missing then that. 

If that isn't the case, then i have no idea what Jeffrey Lurie is doing. i think almost all of us agree that Howie should go, but Lurie is locked in so i point more to him then Howie

what a baby
the drama is getting worse, but this article on bleedinggreennation paints a pretty ugly picture. i know we won't ever know the 100% truth, but there is more then just smoke here for this to be the reality. the interesting thing about this article is that it does follow-up with exactly what me and @Bigboy10182000 were talking about above. Think i am going to try and officially check out of Wentz drama for a day or so, hoping i can hold out :) :

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/2/19/22291625/carson-wentz-trade-eagles-locker-room-stopped-talking-doug-pederson-weeks-nfl-rumors-philadelphia-qb

Those who have experience consuming sports coverage should know it’s not unusual for unflattering leaks to emerge following a person’s exit from a team. It should be no surprise, then, to see such is the case in the aftermath of the Carson Wentz trade.

Of course, there have been anonymously-sourced criticisms about Wentz dating back to November 2018. And then more in January 2019. And then more in October 2019. And then more in September 2020. And then more in January 2021. And then more in February 2021.

The latest on Wentz comes from Jason La Canfora (bold emphasis mine):

In Philly, it did get personal (because of course it did) between Wentz and head coach Doug Pederson. Wentz, according to team and league sources, had been falling out of favor with the locker room as well, unable to connect with a swath of players, acting more in self interest than what would be expected from a franchise quarterback and leader. Losing and adversity had brought out the worst in him, he didn’t handle losing his spot to Jalen Hurts with aplomb and, as reported here within days of him losing his job, a plethora of NFL general managers and executives were already predicting Wentz’s rapid exodus from Philadelphia after the season, even as Eagles officials pleaded there was nothing to see here and Wentz remains a key part of the organization.

A divorce was looming, the league knew it, and it was always going to limit the field of suitors and the degree of compensation for a player with a growing injury history, a propensity for turnovers and now years removed from the days of being mentioned as an MVP candidate. Things truly collapsed when sources said Wentz skipped out on exit meetings with Pederson. He did everything possible — passive-aggressively and otherwise — to make it clear he did not want to be a part of whatever else was going on in Philadelphia, and even after Pederson was fired a week after the season, things between the quarterback and the organization continued to fester.

Some have pointed to Jason Kelce and Fletcher Cox defending Wentz after his benching to downplay the notion that he lost the support of his teammates. But a locker room consists of many players, and what they say publicly and privately doesn’t always line up.

Earlier this month, Joe Santoliquito of PhillyVoice cited a source that drew Wentz’s support into question.

“Is there anyone in here who’s going to believe in [Wentz]? I can’t speak for everyone, but I have a good feeling that there are a lot of guys who don’t right now,” said one source within the organization, who wished to remain anonymous, because “if he can get an NFL head coach fired, they’ll have no problem cutting anyone’s ###.”

All one respected veteran would say is that “there’s a problem here.”

Players “were pissed” that Wentz reportedly planned to ask for a trade and wants out if he is not going to be the starting quarterback, sources said. They interpreted it as if Wentz was quitting on them. Some thought it was Wentz quitting on himself, running away from an open competition for the starter’s role with rookie Jalen Hurts.

Wentz never refuted the reports. In fact, he hasn’t said a peep in over eight weeks — and counting.

Everyone was looking at each other thinking, does he want outta here? How are you supposed to follow a leader like that?” said one source of the reports suggesting Wentz wanted out, which started as far back as December 20. “When he does address it, do you really think anyone will believe him?”

This isn’t to suggest that Wentz’s locker room standing was the only reason the Eagles traded him. But it certainly could’ve factored into the equation. And, as Santoliquito mentioned to me on an upcoming BGN Radio podcast episode, Wentz is very much going to have to prove himself to his new teammates in Indy.

On a different note, what La Canfora had to say about Wentz’s relationship with Doug Pederson lines up with something that Adam Schefter shared on 97.5 The Fanatic on Friday morning. Transcription via CBS Sports (bold emphasis mine):

“There are a lot of things that went wrong. We have the team drafting Jalen Hurts. We have Carson feeling jilted by that. We have the team trying to reassure him. We have Carson not getting past that. We have Carson struggling. We have Carson and Doug not talking for weeks on end during the season where the head coach and quarterback are not talking for eight, nine, 10 weeks.”

There’s been some pushback on the communication deterioration. Rob Maaddi says Pederson told him it wasn’t true:

Some have suggested Howie Roseman leaked to Schefter that Pederson and Wentz weren’t talking. While I can’t say I know Schefter’s source, I do know that I had heard weeks ago that Wentz and Doug weren’t talking by the end of the season. And I can assure you Roseman, who I’ve often criticized, isn’t giving me any inside info.

All of this is moot moving forward in the vein that Wentz and Pederson are now both gone. But it certainly speaks to the dysfunction that’s taken place at the NovaCare Complex. One can only hope it doesn’t continue.

my guess is that Howie and the team made that pick because they knew something was up with Carson. No other reason why they would draft a QB in the 2nd round on a team that has a few pieces missing then that. 

If that isn't the case, then i have no idea what Jeffrey Lurie is doing. i think almost all of us agree that Howie should go, but Lurie is locked in so i point more to him then Howie
I am thinking they had some real doubts about Carson.  actions speak louder than words.  they took a qb in round 2 last year.

Users who are viewing this thread