What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

4 Years Ago - Violence flares in Washington during inauguration (1 Viewer)

Cute.  It's still a fact
The principal calls me and says my son was busted for smoking weed in the bathroom.  I pick him up and tell him this is unacceptable.  He ignores my words and wants to talk about his friend John who got busted for smoking cigarettes four years ago.  Yeah, it's a fact John got busted for smoking cigarettes four years ago. It's also a fact that my son wants to talk about John because he doesn't want to talk about himself.  John getting busted for cigarettes is a relevant conversation four years ago.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The principal calls me and says my son was busted for smoking weed in the bathroom.  I pick him up and tell him this is unacceptable.  He ignores my words and wants to talk about his friend John who got busted for smoking cigarettes four years ago.  Yeah, it's a fact John got busted for smoking cigarettes four years ago.    
At least you now know what a false equivalence is.  Have a great one.

There was a fight between two football players at my daughter's school also.  Where's Biden?

Oh rioting THAT building is different.  At least it's not the Capitol

Oh rioting THAT building is different.  At least it's not the Capitol
it is different

its still rioting/looting/violence though and king Biden needs to denounce the violence stemming from alt-left, BLM and ANTIFA right now .... people called for Trump to denounce the violence stemming from alt-right, white supremacist's, nazi groups etc, I think we should expect equally of king Joe

I like treating each President equally .... i think that's fair to have same expectations 

it is different

its still rioting/looting/violence though and king Biden needs to denounce the violence stemming from alt-left, BLM and ANTIFA right now .... people called for Trump to denounce the violence stemming from alt-right, white supremacist's, nazi groups etc, I think we should expect equally of king Joe

I like treating each President equally .... i think that's fair to have same expectations 
You really try to hard.  

I love Fox's headline.  Unrest explodes across West as Biden sworn-in; clashes with police, attack on Dem Party offices.

Such an explosion of unrest.  And a cop's bicycle ended up getting stolen.

You really try to hard.  

I love Fox's headline.  Unrest explodes across West as Biden sworn-in; clashes with police, attack on Dem Party offices.

Such an explosion of unrest.  And a cop's bicycle ended up getting stolen.
well to be fair - they said a crossbow was a weapon at the capitol and it was a toy crossbow/bolts at best

funny though ... CNN didn't report anything happening anywhere - talk about lack of honest reporting !!

hey, if AOC says many many were almost assassinated, I think we can say that people feared for their lives out west yesterday can't we? violence needs to be addressed, Biden didn't address it at all :(  

Stealthycat said:
well to be fair - they said a crossbow was a weapon at the capitol and it was a toy crossbow/bolts at best

funny though ... CNN didn't report anything happening anywhere - talk about lack of honest reporting !!

hey, if AOC says many many were almost assassinated, I think we can say that people feared for their lives out west yesterday can't we? violence needs to be addressed, Biden didn't address it at all :(  
You're right.  Biden's presidency has been a failure but you have to admit he does have a lot of Trump messes to clean up.  

Has today's press conference happened yet?  Did the question come up there (regarding Portland)?  A response there will be telling.

eta: The PC just ended (5:00 EST) ...I don't know if anything came regarding the violence in Portland.

You're right.  Biden's presidency has been a failure but you have to admit he does have a lot of Trump messes to clean up.  
That's not how it works.  Once you're in, it's all yours.  You blamed Obama's failures on Trump, so now we're just using your standard for Biden.

Like it or not, POTUS gets all the credit and all the blame for his presidential years.

That's not how it works.  Once you're in, it's all yours.  You blamed Obama's failures on Trump, so now we're just using your standard for Biden.

Like it or not, POTUS gets all the credit and all the blame for his presidential years.
I’m cool with that but I was taking cues from the former president that blamed Obama for everything 

one question: are we allowed to evaluate a president based on the the state he has left things?

Can we give him a couple of weeks on the job first?

Also, it takes dedicated cognitive dissonance not to recognize one president can leave another a house on fire.  It happened in 2008 with Bush and it is happening again now.  Of course presidents must be judged on what they do with what they’re given.  You were elected because you’re expected to fix problems.  Not make excuses, take no responsibility and blame others.   

Can we give him a couple of weeks on the job first?

Also, it takes dedicated cognitive dissonance not to recognize one president can leave another a house on fire.  It happened in 2008 with Bush and it is happening again now.  Of course presidents must be judged on what they do with what they’re given.  You were elected because you’re expected to fix problems.  Not make excuses, take no responsibility and blame others.   
IIRC, "the left" didn't even give Trump one day.  :shrug:

Democrats had little interest in the last 4 years of a middle ground or working/coming together ..... I don't expect GOP to take the high ground and do what DNC refused to but who knows
We could go round and round on who is to blame but what's the point?  It is best for all of us that both parties find compromise to the benefit of the country.

I see they arrested like 8 rioters in Portland yesterday.  So I guess they're doing that again now? 

We could go round and round on who is to blame but what's the point?  It is best for all of us that both parties find compromise to the benefit of the country.
I think a problem exists where if the Democrats have the power, we all have to unite and hug and love and work together .... but if they're not in power, its daily hate and intolerance and attacks (which is division and anger)

why can't we unite under EVERY President and EVERY administration and EVERY circumstance ?   Why does it only have to be when its one way?  the last 4 years could have been working on a better America, don't create fake Russia stuff, fake Ukraine, chasing Stormy and taxes and all that ..... it didn't have to go that way but the media and DNC made sure it did.

I think now the call is to NOT hammer Biden every day, to NOT go after him on Ukraine and Tara Reade and his mental state and anything/everything else the Republicans can find on him, Kamala or anyone else in the administration. We could have done that the last 4 years too though

the sensibly part of me says don't treat Biden the way Trump was treated .... the 51 year old man who's watched politics the last 3 decades knows that if in 2024 a Republican is elected, from 2024-2028 he/she will be hammered daily by Democrats the same way they did Trump

its very hard to unite when the other side only wants it on their conditions you know ?

Portland has been arresting rioters for the past year. Here is a month-by-month breakdown if you don't believe it.
And all under Trump's watch.  Hopefully a better president will be able to put an end to the riots in Portland.  We should be able to compare arrests for each administration to see who's doing/did better.

I think a problem exists where if the Democrats have the power, we all have to unite and hug and love and work together .... but if they're not in power, its daily hate and intolerance and attacks (which is division and anger)

why can't we unite under EVERY President and EVERY administration and EVERY circumstance ?   Why does it only have to be when its one way?  the last 4 years could have been working on a better America, don't create fake Russia stuff, fake Ukraine, chasing Stormy and taxes and all that ..... it didn't have to go that way but the media and DNC made sure it did.

I think now the call is to NOT hammer Biden every day, to NOT go after him on Ukraine and Tara Reade and his mental state and anything/everything else the Republicans can find on him, Kamala or anyone else in the administration. We could have done that the last 4 years too though

the sensibly part of me says don't treat Biden the way Trump was treated .... the 51 year old man who's watched politics the last 3 decades knows that if in 2024 a Republican is elected, from 2024-2028 he/she will be hammered daily by Democrats the same way they did Trump

its very hard to unite when the other side only wants it on their conditions you know ?
Okay apparently you want to go through a pointless  :potkettle:  dance.

During the Obama years it was the Republicans that were considered the obstructionists by the Democrats.  I remember listening to a conservative radio program back then where the host said to a frustrated liberal caller that gridlock was a feature not a bug.  His reasoning was that these checks and balances were there to protect one party from pushing everything through.  I could see his point but I am still not sure that gridlock is necessarily a good thing all of the time.

After the 2018 election, the Democrats took control of the house and all of a sudden we were back to gridlock and Republicans were calling the Democrats obstructionists.

And so it goes, around and around and I am sorry to break it to you but in this regard Republicans aren't any better than Democrats -- they both do the same thing.

My hope is that Biden is a little better in getting compromise from both sides and the gridlock isn't as bad as it was during Obama or the latter half of Trump's years.  Maybe I am naïve but that is how I feel.

And so it goes, around and around and I am sorry to break it to you but in this regard Republicans aren't any better than Democrats -- they both do the same thing.
if Biden is treated like Trump was, I'll admit they both do the same

but I doubt the GOP will bring Tara Reade up, create a fake dossier, impeach Biden on Ukraine/Hunter fiasco and I doubt media will hammer Biden every day or do near what they did to Trump

in 4 years we'll know I guess

if Biden is treated like Trump was,
That will only happen if he acts like Trump which we know won't happen. Why is it so hard for you to get through your head that Trump's treatment wasn't arbritrary...it was reactionary based on his library of lies, insults and narcissism.  You've never been able to put this puzzle together and I'm guessing you won't start now. 

That will only happen if he acts like Trump which we know won't happen. Why is it so hard for you to get through your head that Trump's treatment was arbritrary...it was reactionary based on his library of lies, insults and narcissism.  You've never been able to put this puzzle together and I'm guessing you won't start now. 
Great posting.  For whatever reason they think we just had it in for this guy because of the way he looked.  

Portland has been arresting rioters for the past year. Here is a month-by-month breakdown if you don't believe it.
I honestly don't pay attention that closely to what goes on up there.  According to the article,  they dropped charges on 90% of those arrested.

My overall point is/was throughout last year a good amount of criminal activity was ignored, or just allowed, or catch, and release....however you wanna slice it. I get it......protests.  I also understand the optics of law enforcement were not great.  

Portland sure is a nice place though....🙄

I honestly don't pay attention that closely to what goes on up there.  According to the article,  they dropped charges on 90% of those arrested.

My overall point is/was throughout last year a good amount of criminal activity was ignored, or just allowed, or catch, and release....however you wanna slice it. I get it......protests.  I also understand the optics of law enforcement were not great.  

Portland sure is a nice place though....🙄
Okay then.

Okay apparently you want to go through a pointless  :potkettle:  dance.

During the Obama years it was the Republicans that were considered the obstructionists by the Democrats.  I remember listening to a conservative radio program back then where the host said to a frustrated liberal caller that gridlock was a feature not a bug.  His reasoning was that these checks and balances were there to protect one party from pushing everything through.  I could see his point but I am still not sure that gridlock is necessarily a good thing all of the time.

After the 2018 election, the Democrats took control of the house and all of a sudden we were back to gridlock and Republicans were calling the Democrats obstructionists.

My hope is that Biden is a little better in getting compromise from both sides and the gridlock isn't as bad as it was during Obama or the latter half of Trump's years.  Maybe I am naïve but that is how I feel.
This 💯!!

Right now, Biden seems like a breath of fresh air to a good majority of the world.....he does have a opportunity here..... unfortunately, the agenda isn't going to all the sudden change....Biden as a uniter is ultimately going to be a front to make the masses feel better.

I do know people who live there....and I used to go there for certain things.......just don't really like the place...if there ever was a city that is pretentious, Portland is it.
Oh can it.  You live in Salem, you know.....the place where right wing jackwagons STORMED THE CAPITOL, DAMAGED PROPERTY AND ASSAULTED POLICE AND JOURNALISTS.

Neat place

And LOL at Portland being pretentious. I lived in NYC and Chicago before moving to PDX. Aloof hipsters and modest NPR listeners with gardens is what goes on here.  If you've seen Portlandia...it's not too far off base.

And LOL at Portland being pretentious. I lived in NYC and Chicago before moving to PDX. Aloof hipsters and modest NPR listeners with gardens is what goes on here.  If you've seen Portlandia...it's not too far off base.
Yeah, it's a pretty silly thing to say.  I grew up Highland Park, Texas - THE pretentious capital of the world.  I guess to Salem folk driving a Subaru and drinking decent coffee = the height of pretension.  :lmao:

So, yeah, pretentious.  Thanks for the confirmation! 

Headline:  "Pretentious Guy from Portland says Portland not Pretentious". 

Also "Joe Biden says Antifa is just an 'idea'"

https://www.google.com/search?q=antifa+violence&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjct9bfuLDuAhUHA50JHdBlALAQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=antifa+violence&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzICCAAyAggAMgIIADoGCAAQCBAeUO6MB1jznQdgjJ8HaANwAHgAgAE-iAHHBJIBAjExmAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=Ez4LYJziIIeG9PwP0MuBgAs&bih=937&biw=1920&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS935US935&safe=off

Yeah, it's a pretty silly thing to say.  I grew up Highland Park, Texas - THE pretentious capital of the world.  I guess to Salem folk driving a Subaru and drinking decent coffee = the height of pretension.  :lmao:
Or knowing the name of the chicken you are going to eat for dinner!

I feel very lucky to have Portland and Vancouver (BC) as my nearest weekend getaway neighbors.  Great cities. 

The hipsterism in Portland is pretty out of control though.   I rarely people watch, but a trip to Portland will typically include a stop by the latest hipster haven.

My favorite description of Portland is "Where young people go to retire."

And Joe is right. 
Your imaginary friends were kind of busy the last few days....

Antifa rioters wreak havoc hours into Joe Biden's term, Internet wants same crackdown as on Capitol protesters

A protest banner carried a chilling message that read, 'We don't want Biden, we want revenge'

By Divya Kishore
Updated On : 07:26 PST, Jan 21, 2021

Tags :Portland,Colorado,Denver,Seattle

Members of the Communist Party USA and other anti-fascist groups burn an American flag on the steps of the Colorado State Capitol on January 20, 2021 (Getty Images)

Several people on the internet have asked that same treatment be given to Antifa rioters as was given to Capitol protesters after a violent mob vandalized the Democratic Party headquarter in Oregon, set ablaze national flags outside state capitols, and yelled anti-Joe Biden slurs hours after the 46th president took oath of office in DC. The members of the militant left-wing-group gathered in several cities of the US and soon their protests turned violent, which resulted in the firing of tear gas by police. Antifa rioters marched down in the city of Portland while carrying protest banners. One of the banners carried a chilling message that read, “We don't want Biden, we want revenge”, The Sun reported. Authorities said that the anarchists not only smashed and vandalized the windows of the Democratic Party HQ in the city, they also threw rocks and eggs at the Immigrations and Customs Enforcement building in Portland, which forced federal cops to fire tear gas at them. It has been said that around 200 rioters were present outside the building late Wednesday night, January 20. While a group in Denver, Colorado, yelled, “No more cops in our community… f*** the pigs

Antifa rioters wreak havoc hours into Joe Biden's term, Internet wants same crackdown as on Capitol protesters

A protest banner carried a chilling message that read, 'We don't want Biden, we want revenge'

By Divya Kishore
Updated On : 07:26 PST, Jan 21, 2021

Tags :Portland,Colorado,Denver,Seattle

Members of the Communist Party USA and other anti-fascist groups burn an American flag on the steps of the Colorado State Capitol on January 20, 2021 (Getty Images)

Several people on the internet have asked that same treatment be given to Antifa rioters as was given to Capitol protesters after a violent mob vandalized the Democratic Party headquarter in Oregon, set ablaze national flags outside state capitols, and yelled anti-Joe Biden slurs hours after the 46th president took oath of office in DC. The members of the militant left-wing-group gathered in several cities of the US and soon their protests turned violent, which resulted in the firing of tear gas by police. Antifa rioters marched down in the city of Portland while carrying protest banners. One of the banners carried a chilling message that read, “We don't want Biden, we want revenge”, The Sun reported. Authorities said that the anarchists not only smashed and vandalized the windows of the Democratic Party HQ in the city, they also threw rocks and eggs at the Immigrations and Customs Enforcement building in Portland, which forced federal cops to fire tear gas at them. It has been said that around 200 rioters were present outside the building late Wednesday night, January 20. While a group in Denver, Colorado, yelled, “No more cops in our community… f*** the pigs
So are you saying these Antifa folks may not be Biden supporters? :mindblown:

So are you saying these Antifa folks may not be Biden supporters? :mindblown:
A lot of alt-right fanatics aren't fans of Trump or Republicans.   It is really funny what item you pull out of a post.   I have yet to see one leftist express concern over monopolies controlling free speech.

Antifa is not an actual organization. People may identify with it but can't belong to something that doesn't actually exist. 

Antifa is not an actual organization. People may identify with it but can't belong to something that doesn't actually exist. 
Alt-right is not an organizatiin either.  Most people at BLM protests aren't members.  Antifa was a group, but is now is more of a movement.  They tend to go by different names to make tracking morr difficult.  But many consider themselves part of the anti-fascist movement.  

Alt-right is not an organizatiin either.  Most people at BLM protests aren't members.  Antifa was a group, but is now is more of a movement.  They tend to go by different names to make tracking morr difficult.  But many consider themselves part of the anti-fascist movement.  
No one here has said that it was. 

Users who are viewing this thread