What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Expert Sortable Rankings Critique (1 Viewer)

WHY DID MARC BULGER PLAY SO POORLY IN THE SECOND HALF OF THE 2003 SEASON?
That's a very interesting question, and I can't figure out the answer.From reading through the game recaps, it looks like Bulger had good pass protection in the first half of the season (weeks 2-8), but faced heavy pressure in weeks 9, 10, 15, and 17. (Weeks 10 and 17 were the weeks Bulger threw for under 200 yards.)

I'm not sure why that is, though. The OL didn't have any substantial injuries or anything, as far as I'm aware. Facing the Ravens in week 10 is a partial explanation, but why did the OL fall apart against the 49ers, Seahawks, and Lions?

Also, if you look at his statistical "good half" of the season, weeks 2-9, the running game wasn't nearly as effective as it was during his "bad half" of the season.

In weeks 2-9, Bulger completed 64% of his passes and averaged 298 yards, 1.7 TDs, and 1.3 INTs per game. The Rams' rushing attack averaged 85.5 yards per game on 3.5 yards per carry.

In weeks 10-17, Bulger completed 62% of his passes and averaged 220 yards, 1.25 TDs, and 1.6 INTs per game. The Rams' rushing attack averaged 92.5 yards per game on 4.1 yards per carry.

I think there are a couple of partial, possible explanations for Bulger's decline in the second half of the season.

1. Coincidence. Every QB has good games and bad games. Bulger happened to have his bad games all bunched in the second half of the season, but that will happen sometimes even if their distribution is random. Overall, Bulger still had a very good statistical season (#5 QB in PPG).

2. Poor OL play. I have no explanation for why the OL played so inconsistently (in pass-protection) over the second half of the season, but in general it's a talented OL that should be expected to play well in 2004.

My concluding thoughts: Bulger is a generally accurate QB who excels at throwing quick-hitting shorter routes, but he has the arm to throw downfield when he's given time in the pocket. He still makes too many poor decisions and tries to force the ball into coverage, and this problem is especially evident when he's hurried. One of the keys to his 2004 play, therefore, will be his OL's ability to protect him. He's still a young QB who should improve as he matures, but even in his poor games he can rack up nice fantasy stats because of the system he's in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it when a ranking is only a 'nice job' when it goes along with your own thoughts :wall:
Why would anyone ever say "nice job" to a ranking they didn't agree with? :confused: Do you still tell co-workers "nice job" when they screw up?

Users who are viewing this thread