Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

NBA Top Shot Thread - kind of like sports card + crypto, seems money to be made....


Recommended Posts

Cool Cats 4 drop tomorrow! Looks like 85k packs will be up for grabs this time, up from 67.5k in Cool Cats 3 — and there will be 20k of each Cool Cat moment now instead of 15k.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don’t look at it like losing money Otis, look at it as owning a YouTube clip of Dwayne Bacon dunking a basketball that you just happened to pay 1500 bucks for. 

Pretty stoked with my pack.  Got Ben Simmons 3 Pointer. #1/4.

Got one. Steph curry rare all star Giannis common Ja morant LE That steph started out around $5k now $1750

Isn't Top Shots just repeating the same problem from early 90s card collecting?  The companies pump out tons and tons of cards (making $$$ for the company), while collectors get left holding junk because there isn't any scarcity.  Let's say years from now, you want an Anthony Davis moment.  Well you are in luck because they have released 17 Anthony Davis moments since September.  Repeat that year after year, and there will be hundreds of moments available for every player.  I can see the rare moments holding some value, but not the $5k - $25k values we are seeing now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, caustic said:

Cool Cats 4 drop tomorrow! Looks like 85k packs will be up for grabs this time, up from 67.5k in Cool Cats 3 — and there will be 20k of each Cool Cat moment now instead of 15k.

What time do you have to get in line for this? How does it work?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Capella said:

What time do you have to get in line for this? How does it work?

Doesn’t matter how early you arrive as long as you join before the drop time. At 11, they’ll put everyone in a randomly created line, and it’ll become clear whether or not you’re in position to get one of the 85k packs. From there it’ll pretty much work like the guaranteed drop — once you’re up in line they give you 30 minutes to complete your purchase. This time you’ll receive the pack immediately after buying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, caustic said:

Doesn’t matter how early you arrive as long as you join before the drop time. At 11, they’ll put everyone in a randomly created line, and it’ll become clear whether or not you’re in position to get one of the 85k packs. From there it’ll pretty much work like the guaranteed drop — once you’re up in line they give you 30 minutes to complete your purchase. This time you’ll receive the pack immediately after buying.

Cool, thanks. Gonna go for it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Synthesizer said:

Isn't Top Shots just repeating the same problem from early 90s card collecting?  The companies pump out tons and tons of cards (making $$$ for the company), while collectors get left holding junk because there isn't any scarcity.  Let's say years from now, you want an Anthony Davis moment.  Well you are in luck because they have released 17 Anthony Davis moments since September.  Repeat that year after year, and there will be hundreds of moments available for every player.  I can see the rare moments holding some value, but not the $5k - $25k values we are seeing now.

Probably. As long as I pay 15 bucks a pack I don’t really care. Worth it for the lols 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Synthesizer said:

Isn't Top Shots just repeating the same problem from early 90s card collecting?  The companies pump out tons and tons of cards (making $$$ for the company), while collectors get left holding junk because there isn't any scarcity.  Let's say years from now, you want an Anthony Davis moment.  Well you are in luck because they have released 17 Anthony Davis moments since September.  Repeat that year after year, and there will be hundreds of moments available for every player.  I can see the rare moments holding some value, but not the $5k - $25k values we are seeing now.

They do need to flood the market with commons and cheap packs to keep up with demand. The commons should be $1-2 imo not $5-10. I still believe the rare ones and big players will command good money in the future but we'll see lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Capella said:

Did anybody get one of those thousand dollar packs?

I got in line but was kind of relieved I wasn't in the top 2k!  Those holo cards are selling for a nice profit though, if you got in on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Capella said:

Probably. As long as I pay 15 bucks a pack I don’t really care. Worth it for the lols 

It’s kinda fun — and if you can get one, these Cool Cats packs are pretty much a guaranteed profit. My first pack was Cool Cats 3, and that one $15 deposit has turned into $175 and counting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, caustic said:

It’s kinda fun — and if you can get one, these Cool Cats packs are pretty much a guaranteed profit. My first pack was Cool Cats 3, and that one $15 deposit has turned into $175 and counting. 

Wow. 
 

What time can you get into the queue? They open it a few hours early?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Capella said:

Wow. 
 

What time can you get into the queue? They open it a few hours early?

I think they usually open it an hour or two early, yeah. Can’t find a specific opening time for this one.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, caustic said:

It’s kinda fun — and if you can get one, these Cool Cats packs are pretty much a guaranteed profit. My first pack was Cool Cats 3, and that one $15 deposit has turned into $175 and counting. 

Same here.  I've got $15 invested total, and I keep flipping unwanted cards for more packs and players I actually do want.  Sold a Cool Cats Dragic for $85.  Used that money to buy more packs (which included a huge Anthony Edwards dunk) and an Anthony Davis dunk from Lebron for $15.

Definitely worth the small investment to own some highlight plays.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like they've bumped up the number of available packs again. Last night they said 92.5k total / 85k available in the drop, now it's 100k total / 92.5k available in the drop. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caustic said:

Seems like they've bumped up the number of available packs again. Last night they said 92.5k total / 85k available in the drop, now it's 100k total / 92.5k available in the drop. 

I never saw the lower numbers yesterday.  I could be wrong though.  These numbers are going to seem miniscule soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The recent office hours talked about auctions (Ebay like) in the MP rather than just setting your price?  They've mentioned resale of unopened packs on the MP again too recently.  I can get down with people bidding up my unopened packs.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

3 hours ago, Synthesizer said:

Same here.  I've got $15 invested total, and I keep flipping unwanted cards for more packs and players I actually do want.  Sold a Cool Cats Dragic for $85.  Used that money to buy more packs (which included a huge Anthony Edwards dunk) and an Anthony Davis dunk from Lebron for $15.

Definitely worth the small investment to own some highlight plays.

Got a good deal moving that Dragic for $85. To show how much the market has gone down, that same Dragic is now going for $30. Which is right at the decrease I'm seeing nearly across the board on these things. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I really have no idea who anyone is. I got a Jaylen Brown dunk, an Alex Caruso block, Kyrie faking someone out and then hitting a jumper (5946 / 35000+), and Max Strus dunking.

My "Cool Cat" was the Chris Paul behind the back assist they highlighted in the email and it's number 403 / 20000.

The Strus dunk says 6886/12000 with an "LE" after it. Is that Limited Edition?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

 

 

Got a good deal moving that Dragic for $85. To show how much the market has gone down, that same Dragic is now going for $30. Which is right at the decrease I'm seeing nearly across the board on these things. 

I’m hesitant to say this could be a booming business but if 200,000 people are waiting in line on a random Tuesday for a pack I don’t think the market has gone down that much. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

OK, I really have no idea who anyone is. I got a Jaylen Brown dunk, an Alex Caruso block, Kyrie faking someone out and then hitting a jumper (5946 / 35000+), and Max Strus dunking.

My "Cool Cat" was the Chris Paul behind the back assist they highlighted in the email and it's number 403 / 20000.

The Strus dunk says 6886/12000 with an "LE" after it. Is that Limited Edition?

Yes, I think it means no more will be minted (12k and that's it).  They all might not be distributed in packs yet.  You can find that info on evaluate.market

Not a bad serial on the CP3, triple digit "03".  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

OK, I really have no idea who anyone is. I got a Jaylen Brown dunk, an Alex Caruso block, Kyrie faking someone out and then hitting a jumper (5946 / 35000+), and Max Strus dunking.

My "Cool Cat" was the Chris Paul behind the back assist they highlighted in the email and it's number 403 / 20000.

The Strus dunk says 6886/12000 with an "LE" after it. Is that Limited Edition?

the Chris Paul with a 400 serial is :moneybag: 

LE means there will be no more of those produced, so limited print run. Any of the others can have more produced later. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, McBokonon said:

OK, I really have no idea who anyone is. I got a Jaylen Brown dunk, an Alex Caruso block, Kyrie faking someone out and then hitting a jumper (5946 / 35000+), and Max Strus dunking.

My "Cool Cat" was the Chris Paul behind the back assist they highlighted in the email and it's number 403 / 20000.

The Strus dunk says 6886/12000 with an "LE" after it. Is that Limited Edition?

403, that's awesome! I follow the NBA pretty closely and have no idea who Max Strus is, but a limited edition card should still be relatively valuable. Low serial # on the Kyrie as well, you got a nice pack!

You may have read this earlier in the thread, but if you're interested in flipping these, I'd recommend waiting at least a day or two to sell them. When the market reopens after a drop, prices tank as everyone rushes to sell their new stuff. I made this mistake with my Dragic Cool Cat last time and regretted it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

Yes, I think it means no more will be minted (12k and that's it).  They all might not be distributed in packs yet.  You can find that info on evaluate.market

Not a bad serial on the CP3, triple digit "03".  

Actually, all 20k of the 5 CC are being distributed today.  

Just my personal opinion as I'm certainly not a certified TS advisor, but I think any CP3, especially LE mint, has a chance to be peaking during the playoffs if the Suns keep playing well.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Capella said:

I’m hesitant to say this could be a booming business but if 200,000 people are waiting in line on a random Tuesday for a pack I don’t think the market has gone down that much. 

Demand for packs is still strong, seems like the problem is demand in the secondary market. A lot more flippers than collectors right now, which is totally reasonable IMO since who knows if this is even going to be around in 5 years.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, psychobillies said:

OK, I just got one of these for $15.  I haven't kept up with the thread.  Should I open the pack, or wait?

It's your first pack?  If you're not going to sell them in the near term on the MP (marketplace) to get funds in Dapper to make subsequent MP purchases, then I see no reason to open.  I've done both....opened 1 pack to get a Dapper balance for future purchases which netted me $200+ by selling 2 of the 3 moments..... while also holding 2 packs unopened because I think that's the play right now.

Edited by Bobcat10
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bobcat10 said:

It's your first pack?  If you're not going to sell them in the near term on the MP (marketplace) to get funds in Dapper to make subsequent MP purchases, then I see no reason to open.  I've done both....opened 1 pack to get a Dapper balance for future purchases which netted me $200+ by selling 2 of the 3 moments..... while also holding 2 packs unopened because I think that's the play right now.

Yep, it's my first pack.  I guess I'll hold for now.  May just see if my nephew wants to fool with it.  Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, caustic said:

Demand for packs is still strong, seems like the problem is demand in the secondary market. A lot more flippers than collectors right now, which is totally reasonable IMO since who knows if this is even going to be around in 5 years.

Spot on. 

I think anyone's that monitored the marketplace will see that going rates of these moments are a 1/3 or less than what they were a month ago.

The demand is and always will be there for unknown packs. There's tons of streamers -- even the ones not given packs for free by topshot -- out there that'll pay for packs to open......and make the money back while streaming.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Opened my pack and it featured jump shots from Joe Ingles, Marc Gasol, and Carmelo Anthony 😂  Truly awful pack.  Cool Cats was Christian Wood so I flipped it for $50 already.  Wish I would have left the pack unopened.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Desert_Power said:

How do you sell a pack?

Can't yet, but it's coming soon. Allegedly. :lol:  That and the ability to withdraw your money. :tinfoilhat: 

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I opened this thread thinking it was an NBA thread started by Cappy, god how dumb as my ###?

I just wanted to post how disappointed I was in the Heat's effort vs the ChillingWolves but again, how dumb I was thinking and quite frankly I'm not sure what is going in on here but I apologize for even posting 😆

-Packs? Packs of what? Timberwolves? 😆  👍. 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone eligible today for the $99?

I really don't get what they're doing.  There are people who have just above the bare minimum who qualify, yet even more people who didn't qualify that have spent multiple times more in the MP and have better collections (albeit under 15 total moments).  I'm pretty sure under 25% of their customers qualified, leaving out many of the collectors they've been trying so hard to please.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

Anyone eligible today for the $99?

I really don't get what they're doing.  There are people who have just above the bare minimum who qualify, yet even more people who didn't qualify that have spent multiple times more in the MP and have better collections (albeit under 15 total moments).  I'm pretty sure under 25% of their customers qualified, leaving out many of the collectors they've been trying so hard to please.

I hardly hear people, outside the people already into it, talking about topshot anymore. These pack policies are probably part of the reason. At some point it’s going to be only the whales holding all of the scarce cards with no market for them. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2021 at 2:13 PM, Craig_MiamiFL said:

 

 

Got a good deal moving that Dragic for $85. To show how much the market has gone down, that same Dragic is now going for $30. Which is right at the decrease I'm seeing nearly across the board on these things. 

$23 now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fruity pebbles said:

I hardly hear people, outside the people already into it, talking about topshot anymore. These pack policies are probably part of the reason. At some point it’s going to be only the whales holding all of the scarce cards with no market for them. 

True, but the packs themselves are still +EV (although this one is narrowing the gap from what I've read).  Plus, they haven't added many new customers over the last few months.  They are definitely trimming what they think is the fat, but ultimately could be their downfall because this time they angered alot of the "true" base.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Bobcat10 said:

Anyone eligible today for the $99?

I really don't get what they're doing.  There are people who have just above the bare minimum who qualify, yet even more people who didn't qualify that have spent multiple times more in the MP and have better collections (albeit under 15 total moments).  I'm pretty sure under 25% of their customers qualified, leaving out many of the collectors they've been trying so hard to please.

Running it into the ground IMO.

Only market left is packs. I'd not open them. Wait for them to allow them to be sold on marketplace. I remember seeing the recent $999 pack "superstar list" and couldn't imagine spending that type money and winding up with some of the names on that list for a grand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...