What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (1 Viewer)

C - Swen Nater
Between his ABA and NBA careers he averaged 12.5 PPG , 11.5 RBS 54 FG%. These include his last two twilight seasons with the San Diego Clippers and Lakers.
1975 ABA Rebounding Champion - 16.4 RPG
1980 NBA Rebounding Champion - 15 RPG

2× ABA All-Star (1974, 1975)
2× All-ABA Second Team (1974, 1975)
ABA Rookie of the Year (1974)
ABA All-Rookie First Team (1974)
NBA rebounding leader (1980)
2× NCAA champion (1972, 1973)
Didn't realize all his good years were in the 70's.  I am sure he was happy to not have to be compared with the 70's centers

1) I did dock Ewing a little for being in the wrong decade but that team is so good I am not sure if it will matter. 

2) I think the worst team of the draft is in the 80s. It BARELY edged out Higgins 60s team for me and I am not kidding. 

You haven’t looked ahead to the 00s yet. Pretty sure wikkid’s team gives them a run for their money. 
Ha I forgot about the team with Darko as captain. Also, I think I overinvested in the 80s. There are some bad players here, feels like a lot of guys who split decades were placed into the 70s or 90s instead. My team might have the 2nd or 3rd best player at their positon in 4 of the 5 positions. Chambers isn't too far at PF either. All the talk of how bad the 90s Cs were, how about this group of PFs? 

1) I did dock Ewing a little for being in the wrong decade but that team is so good I am not sure if it will matter. 

2) I think the worst team of the draft is in the 80s. It BARELY edged out Higgins 60s team for me and I am not kidding. 
i would have been fine to switch out & have Arvydas Sabonis in his best decade (80s) and Pat in his champ-chasing era, but the rules didnt allow (Sabonis not in the NBA til 90s). plus, i wanted Ewing in his running-out years for Magic

ETA: and i'm verrrrry proud how my Naughties team captured its era. now, excuse me - i have to prop Greg Oden back up on his 11-ft crutches so we can go listen to some Adam Morrison stories. a feature of 90s Santa Fe parties was a cokesweated Albert Hammond, who would go up to every lady like a kid lost in a mall to ask them if they'd heard "It Never Rains in Southern California", cuz i sung that. kinda likat -

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have clear memories of 1980's basketball but I love the team I drafted. I wish I could watch a simulated game of them running and gunning.

Even though some rankings are apparently in, let me post some quick notes about my 80s guys:

Doug B's 1980s Squad

PG: Lafayette Lever - 2X All-Star, 1X All NBA, 1X All-Defensive, 10th in career triple doubles, 6th in career steals-per-game, 22nd in career steals
Love Lever's do-it-all game -- facilitate for others, fight taller guys for boards (and win), grab 2 steals and change each night. Oh, and throw in 19 points or so most times out. Started over half of his games in Denver at PG and the rest at SG -- a prototypical multi-skilled combo guard throughout his entire career. Career per36: 15.8 pts, 6.8 boards, 7.1 assists, and 2.5 steals.

SG: Ron Harper - 1987 All-Rookie team, 5X NBA champion, 26th in career steals
Over his first 3 seasons (1986-89), Harper averaged out to be a 19-5-5 guy that also jumped passing lanes to the tune of 2.3 steals per game. Per 36 minutes, he stayed at that level until after age 30. Harper, additionally, was an excellent on-ball defender -- though he wasn't usually credited for his defense until later in his career. Career per36: 16.1 pts, 5.0 boards, 4.5 assists, and 2.0 steals.

A serious ankle injury during his second year and reconstructive knee surgery after the 1989-90 season prevented Harper from becoming a household name. But his dedication to his rehab and to the game itself later paid for itself in spades to the tune of five rings with the Chicago Bulls.

SF: Thurl Bailey - 1984 All-Rookie team
Career per36 of 17.6 pts, 6.8 boards, and 1.6 blocks. Started logging minutes at small forward in his third season when Karl Malone was drafted. Soon developed into a high-minutes sixth man (30+ mpg). Very quick for his frame ... and while he could be vulnerable defending one-on-one on the wing, the mismatches he creates on the other side of the court make Bailey worth it for a squad already possessing three elite on-ball defenders. A peak 19-6 guy, his career per36 was 17.1 ppg, 6.8 rpg, and 1.6 blocks per game. Career 81% from the charity stripe.

PF: Kevin McHale - HOF, 7X All-Star, 1X All-NBA, 6X All-Defensive, 2X Sixth Man of the Year, 1981 All-Rookie team, 3X NBA champion, 21st all-time career field goal percentage
Career per36 of 20.7 pts, 8.5 boards, and 2.0 blocks. McHale averaged over 22 ppg between 1985-1990. Free throw % improved throughout his career -- 75% through his first six seasons, 84% over his remaining seven years. I'm going to be lazy and crib from Ferris Beuller's iBrainTrust's 2011 comments about McHale:

"... outstanding low post moves, great defender, great team player. McHale sacrificed minutes and numbers so the Celtics could win. ... ask Kurt Rambis if McHale is a guy to (fool) with."

C : Joe Barry Carrol - 1X All-Star, 1981 All-Rookie

Career per36 of 19.6 pts, 8.5 boards, 1.1 steals, and 1.8 blocks. During his peak years between 1982-87 -- even while something of a malcontent always trying to find his way out of Oakland -- he was a steady 22-8 guy who'd swat a shot or two most games.

My 80s team is LOOOOONG:

PG    Lafayette Lever (6'3")
SG    Ron Harper (6'6")
SF    Thurl Bailey (6'11")
PF    Kevin McHale (6'10")
C    Joe Barry Carroll (7'0")

Good call, DB -- now I too shall reintroduce my team -- you want the full rundown, it's here.

Winning with:

(1) Passing

Cheeks & Theus (#14 & #29 in assists). Cheeks, a traditional passer & Theus, a 6'7" scorer with passing skills.

(2) Rebounding

Buck Williams & Tarpley are formidable. Don't believe Tarp's rebounding prowess? Check out the post and double-check the stat on basketball reference.

(3) Defense

The guards are highly regarded in steals. Bball reference stats confirm the frontcourt are defensive bulls..

I didn’t recall Theus being that kind of distributor. He was a solid player for sure, though ... just hidden away in NBA Siberia (Kansas City & Sacramento). Woulda been a household name in LA or Boston.

I didn’t recall Theus being that kind of distributor. He was a solid player for sure, though ... just hidden away in NBA Siberia (Kansas City & Sacramento). Woulda been a household name in LA or Boston.
If Coach Fuller from Hang Time taught the kids anything, it was you need to share to be part of a team. 

I remember watching the 1976 So Cal CIF Final 4 at LA Sports Arena. Theus on Inglewood, Roy Hamilton and David Greenwood on Verbum Dei, Paul Mokeski on Crespi.  I think Brad Holland and Cresenta Valley was the 4th team.

I remember watching the 1976 So Cal CIF Final 4 at LA Sports Arena. Theus on Inglewood, Roy Hamilton and David Greenwood on Verbum Dei, Paul Mokeski on Crespi.  I think Brad Holland and Cresenta Valley was the 4th team.
Theus and Greenwood were later teammates on the Bulls (also an NBA wasteland back then despite the size of the market).

I just sent my 80's rankings in.

Are we not going to see results on the 80's until tomorrow?  Surely @Yo Mama can roll that out by this afternoon/evening, right?

Kind of a hard decade for me. A lot of guys graded out worse than I thought (- I think my memory was mixed up bc a lot of them I remember them more as terrific McDonald's All-Americans or college stars. Quite a few out of position players (some laughably so) plus a few in the wrong decade.

Enjoyed it a lot but it was a bit more work trying to figure out the appropriate markdown for miscategorized picks.

Enjoyed it a lot but it was a bit more work trying to figure out the appropriate markdown for miscategorized picks.
and the many that just sucked.   There were decent sized pockets of players that were not good and I could not rank on a 16 to 1 scale.

Kind of a hard decade for me. A lot of guys graded out worse than I thought (- I think my memory was mixed up bc a lot of them I remember them more as terrific McDonald's All-Americans or college stars. Quite a few out of position players (some laughably so) plus a few in the wrong decade.

What did you end up doing?

I basically go with "either they played enough this decade or they didn't" so I barely knocked a guy like Ewing for placement.

I sent in my rankings and the way I look at it is ranking the teams who I think would win in a pick up game the highest.  I just go through the teams placing them in loose tiers and then look at matchups within those tiers and based on the entire team vs another team who would win.  

I did this for the 70's as well and my rankings compared to the final tally was the following:

• Two teams exactly in the same place
  • One team 4 places worse than my ranking
  • One team 3 places better than my ranking
  • Five teams within +/- 2 places
  • Seven teams within +/- 1 place

I was fairly happy that I wasn't wildly off with the consensus of the judges.  I guess we will see where the 80's faired... 

What did you end up doing?

I basically go with "either they played enough this decade or they didn't" so I barely knocked a guy like Ewing for placement.
I had Ewing as 2nd best center, NBD. But there was at least one that peaked in the 70s and a few other late 80s which barely qualified. Don’t think I knocked much on decade timing (artificial construct for the draft) but players who were badly out of positions - and a couple teams had two - I def knocked down.

I started preliminary rankings for 90s/00s/10s to try to get ready, man it’s difficult and hair-splitting on some teams. Definitely going with who I think would win a 7 game series vs just matching up individual player stats/awards and positional rankings.

and the many that just sucked.   There were decent sized pockets of players that were not good and I could not rank on a 16 to 1 scale.
A few for sure. But I tried to give each team a fair shake and some players weren’t quite as sucky as my initial impression.

My system was not kind to players with short peaks. Sometimes I randomly moved them up mostly went with the spreadsheet since it was pretty comprehensive.

Couldn’t find anything about redeeming about the underachieving Benoit, but did enjoy this story:

JAYSON WILLIAMS:

Let me explain about Yinka Dare. Yinka (R.I.P.) was from Nigeria, and there are some things Yinka just doesn't understand. The Nets were playing Minnesota in 1996, when they had Christian Laettner. I came out of the game, and Yinka, who was on the bench, asked me, "Jay-son" - he always called me Jay-son, like it was two words - "what does the "C" on Christian Laettner's jersey stand for?"

I'm thinking. Damn. Yinka Dare should know what the "C" on Laettner's jersey stands for - it's for "Captain," anybody knows that. But I didn't say anything to him. I just looked over at him and thought, Let me figure this brother out.

So I say, "Yinka, what do you think the "C" stands for?"

He looks over at Laettner, who's a white guy, and he looks back at me, and Yinka goes, "Caucasian?"

We're losing, so I can't be laughing on the bench. I put my head down, got a towel over my face. And then Benoit Benjamin, another NBA genius on the Nets' bench, looks over at me and he says, "Wooo, child. That Yinka Dare sure is silly, isn't he? Everybody knows 'caucasian' starts with a 'k'."

Are we not going to see results on the 80's until tomorrow?  Surely @Yo Mama can roll that out by this afternoon/evening, right?
I can cut off the rankings earlier (let’s say 3pm pacific), and try to get the results out today. 

Im going to my niece’s college soccer game tonight (senior night and I’m standing in for my sister who couldn’t make it down), so it would have to be earlier to get everything out today. 

I do already have 10 sets of rankings, so we have almost everyone already. 

Let me know if anyone is going to do rankings and hasn’t sent them to me yet. 

I still have to do most of my writeups but I can crank that out today. 

I can cut off the rankings earlier (let’s say 3pm pacific), and try to get the results out today. 

Im going to my niece’s college soccer game tonight (senior night and I’m standing in for my sister who couldn’t make it down), so it would have to be earlier to get everything out today. 

I do already have 10 sets of rankings, so we have almost everyone already. 

Let me know if anyone is going to do rankings and hasn’t sent them to me yet. 

I still have to do most of my writeups but I can crank that out today. 
@wikkidpissah @timschochet @otb_lifer  @EYLive

You guys have sent rankings for the earlier decades. Are you planning on sending rankings for 80s too?  If so, could I get them by 3pm pacific today(6pm eastern)?

Sorry guys. Probably won’t be able to do results today. One of my dogs has pretty bad cancer and isn’t doing too well. I need to take care of him today. 

I’ll do the results tomorrow. 
Sorry to hear, dude.  Me and my 12-year old tri-pawd had to make an unplanned visit to the vet today.  Her hind leg (her only hind leg) was having issues today.  Had to lug 55 pounds of Cujo about 500 yards uphill, as this issue reared its head midstream during a walk.  Sure as ####, she's all fine by the time we get to the vet; anyway, ligaments and bones check out okay; thinking maybe a deep bruise or some such. She was home alone today during a thunderstorm, and she freaks over thunder, so maybe she hurt herself.... can't say for sure. On the bright side, she's going deaf, so hopefully thunderstorm issues abate once and for all.

I've spent the past two hours trying to explain to her "No Milk Bone until you eat your pain pill."

Sorry guys. Probably won’t be able to do results today. One of my dogs has pretty bad cancer and isn’t doing too well. I need to take care of him today. 

ugh no worries, hope it isn't too painful. one of mine has dementia now and stares and cries at us all night. got some meds, but man oh man i thought i was going to go nuts myself

ugh no worries, hope it isn't too painful. one of mine has dementia now and stares and cries at us all night. got some meds, but man oh man i thought i was going to go nuts myself
Initially, a few months ago, the vet suggested that my dog might be developing dementia.  While certainly still possible, going deaf might explain changes that I'm seeing too.

Oh, man.  Sorry to hear it.  Prayers said for your good boy.  I even played a little extra this morning with our 5 yr old lab-mix after reading this because I know we won't have him forever.

ehh, i say give him time. we can start to discuss our 90s line-ups if people want, but with Yo Mama dealing with a dog who is not doing so well, i think we can pause that for a little and focus on starting our conversations about the 90s. That and the 20s conversations could end up being 7-10 pages 

Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone. It was a rough day yesterday - we had to put him down, but he was really uncomfortable and hadn’t been eating for almost a week. 
ugh, well glad it at least is over that hump. I remember when i had to put down my first pet (was a cat i took in). Cat had cancer in her mouth so i had to inject her food. She was real lethargic and out of it so went to put her down, and of course that day she had all this energy and looking great.

My dad mentioned to me the other day when they had to put their dog down it was a tough decision. dog was really struggling and hips started to give our on her. They finally made that tough decision, and my dad went to drive her to the vet in his pick-up truck, and F' it if that dog didn't hop into that truck by herself and grinning because she was happy to go for a ride. 

Never fun, but glad things are looking little better now for you guys

Users who are viewing this thread