What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (3 Viewers)

First half of the 80s was showtime and fast breaks, maybe we’ll play defense in the 4th quarter.

Back half was “you take it to the hole you’re going down.” Shooting comes and goes. Defense is there every night if you have the will and make the effort.

Seems like a pick ‘em between him and Laimbeer in advanced stats. VERY similar career arcs year over year. Bill had a better TS %, way less turnovers, better O-rebound #s, couple rebound crowns. Sikma had a lot more assists (bc the Pistons had a better PG?), marginally better defensive stats, slightly better FT % (both are great - .849/.837 is great at any position, truly exceptional for bigs.) Obviously I’m biased a bit bc of how many Pistons games I watched.

Isaiah, the SGs (John Long, Joe D and the Microwave), and the SFs (Tripucka/AD/ Aguirre) were the core of the offense. However Laimbeer hit some big time shots when they really needed it. He was the rock on some great teams.
I grew up watching those Pistons teams so I know. I do think his better TS%, less turnovers is probably also because he was the 5th-6th offensive option for the team where as Sikma was typically the first option. That matters a lot IMO. Maybe Bill could have been a 1A or 1B for an NBA team but we never got a chance to see it. 

First half of the 80s was showtime and fast breaks, maybe we’ll play defense in the 4th quarter.

Back half was “you take it to the hole you’re going down.” Shooting comes and goes. Defense is there every night if you have the will and make the effort.
Not in terms of PPG. 84-85, 85-86, 83-84, 86-87,88-89, 81-82, 82-83 are all among the top 25 NBA seasons for PPG in the order I listed them. 

I grew up watching those Pistons teams so I know. I do think his better TS%, less turnovers is probably also because he was the 5th-6th offensive option for the team where as Sikma was typically the first option. That matters a lot IMO. Maybe Bill could have been a 1A or 1B for an NBA team but we never got a chance to see it. 
What year was Sikma the #1 option?

Typically he was 3rd or 4th in FGA on every Sonics or Bucks team he played on (2nd one year.)

Calling Laimbeer the 5th/6th option seems to be hyperbole of a similar magnitude. 82-87 (mid to late 20s) he was the 3rd/4th option. Beyond age 30 he was 5th/6th.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I don't recall Gminski putting up the stats that he did, but they are solid; then again, on a good day he played for a mediocre team, and the good days were too few.
certainly was a down time for the Sixers. but in his defense, he was getting more coverage then teams that had a few talented guys.

Will be similar to when we review the 2000s and i hype A.I.s numbers. his overall numbers may not be as high as others, but considering he was often double-teamed, even triple-teamed at times, i think it makes his stats that much better. 

It is a good argument for A.I., probably not the same for Gminski

What year was Sikma the #1 option?

Typically he was 3rd or 4th in FGA on every Sonics or Bucks team he played on (2nd one year.)

Calling Laimbeer the 5th/6th option seems to be hyperbole of a similar magnitude. 82-87 (mid to late 20s) he was the 3rd/4th option. Beyond age 30 he was 5th/6th.
You are right Sikma was more of the 2nd option during his peak early 80s career. As for Bill, I was just going off what you said when you had the 3 guards and the 3 SFs as the core of the offense. 

BobbyLayne said:
OH SORRY AM I BORING THE #### OUT OF YOU? Welcome to the world of reading your write ups. lol

:hifive:
Challenge accepted BobbyLayne.  Today I'll attempt to entertain and educate in the Magic Johnson vs. Larry Bird debate.  Today the two rivals appear in Capital One commercials during the NCAA tournament, but it was once much different.

There will be game-winning shotsleft-handed games played (<--- my favorite part was 4:15 - 5:10 but feel free to watch the whole thing for a triple-double, the game-tying shot in regulation, or the game-winner in OT), and fingers raised in victory.  You can even watch Michael Jordan's reaction.

You are right Sikma was more of the 2nd option during his peak early 80s career. As for Bill, I was just going off what you said when you had the 3 guards and the 3 SFs as the core of the offense. 
Yeah, they never really ran the offense through him. Like as they went through the rotation if Zeke was off the floor then Vinnie and/or the current 3 stayed on. But I also remember Chuck drawing up plays for him when they were losing mo. He was pretty clutch. Plus it was def OK to go to him closing minutes bc he was almost always their best FT shooter.

Ok time to write up my 80's squad.  I really got behind it in this draft and put off a lot of my picks for this decade.  For some reason it just always seemed like there was a better choice to be made than picking an 80's guy when my pick came around through the front part of the draft.  I didn't pick my first 80's guy until pick 9.10 (Larry Nance - who I love as a player).  Then another big gap until 23.10 (Jeff Malone - great scorer for my SG).  Based on this I don't have any flashy guys with name recognition but just as I have done in the 60's and 70's I think I constructed a good team.  All the guys compliment each other and should be tough to play against.  Defensively they should be tough to score on and have enough offense to be in every game.  Without further ado:

PG - Ray Williams (Pick 27.10):  15.5/3.6/5.8 career averages with a PER of 17.3 and WS of 37.1.  His best single season numbers for each category are 20.9/5.0/7.9 and 2.4 steals/game.  Williams career best game was 52 points for the Nets which stood as the franchise record until it was passed by Derron Williams (57) in 2012.  “He was a joy to play with,” said Len Elmore, a center-forward who was his teammate on the Knicks and the New Jersey Nets.  Elmore remembered Williams, a sturdy 6 feet 3 inches, as “a consummate scorer, But if you were open, he would find you,” 

SG - Jeff Malone (Pick 23.10):  19.0/2.6/2.4 career averages with a PER of 15.2 and WS of 54.2.  His best single season numbers for each category are 24.3/3.6/3.7  Malone was the Bullets star of the 80s. He made two All-Star teams, led the franchise in scoring for the decade and left Washington as the second-leading scorer in franchise history, only behind Hayes. During his rookie season Malone hit a game-winning 3-pointer against the Detroit Pistons as he fell out of bounds along the left baseline and lofted the basketball above the backboard and made it to give the Bullets a 103–102 lead with 1 second left. This shot was listed in a votable list of the NBA's greatest shots. Malone emerged as one of the best scoring guards in the league over the next few years, appearing in the NBA All-Star Game in both 1986 and 1987. 

SF - Paul Pressey (Pick 24.07):  10.6/3.9/5.1 career averages with a PER of 15.5 and WS of 49.0.  His best single season numbers for each category are 16.1/5.4/7.8 and 2.1 steals/game.  Pressey is widely, though unofficially, credited with being the originator of the point forward position, combining the attributes of a point guard and forward. While playing small forward for the Milwaukee Bucks in the 1980s, Pressey took on many of the ball handling duties, even leading the team in assists for five straight years.  He is the defensive cornerstone for this squad having made the NBA all defensive team 3 times in his career.  

PF - Larry Nance (Pick 9.10):  17.1/8.0/2.6 career averages with a PER of 19.9 and WS of 109.6. His best single season numbers for each category are 22.5/9.9/3.4 and 3.0 blocks/game and 1.4 steals/game.  Nance was also the first ever NBA Slam Dunk Champion (Team Gally has quite a few winners on the overall squad).  Nance was a model of consistency throughout his NBA career. He averaged over 16 points and 8 rebounds per game for all eleven seasons as a starter. His best scoring average year was in the 1986–1987 NBA season, where he averaged 22.5 points per game. Always among the highest in field goal percentage, Nance was an excellent mid-range shooter as well as a talented inside player. He fits extremely well with this 80's squad as he protected the rim and was on the All NBA defensive team three times.  He was also consistently one of the league's better shot blockers, averaging 2.2 blocks per game during his career. Upon his retirement, he held the league record for most blocked shots by any player other than a center.

C - James Edwards (Pick 29.10):  12.7/5.1/1.3 career averages with a PER of 14.7 and WS of 59.7. His best single season numbers for each category are 23.2/9.0/3.5 and 1.9 blocks/game.  Edwards brings championships to this squad as he won three titles.  He was on the Bad Boy Pistons for two and put Jordan over the hump once he came back from his baseball hiatus.  What most people don't remember is that we has a solid offensive player and even subbed in for Kareem during Edwards rookie season and put up  17.1 points and 8.2 rebounds per game while Kareem nursed his broken hand.  Buddha Edwards is a total team player and does what it takes to win championships.  Another perfect fit for this squad meshing nicely with Nance to protect the rim and gobble rebounds.  

I feel like a broken record when it comes to my squads in that I really like the build of this team.  Although it doesn't have the name recognition of superstar players it is a team of professionals ideally suited for their roles.  This team is much better than it seems when just looking at the names.  It has an elite wing defender (Pressey) and rim protector (Nance) with enough scoring to keep teams honest.  It has toughness at PG in Williams and everyone can handle the ball.  This is probably the least decorated of any of my squads but with 4 of my final 10 picks going to this decade that isn't surprising.  Again my score will come down to how much team build is factored in and so far the judges have really rewarded that.  i hope it continues for this decade.  I expect to fall somewhere around 12th with an outside chance of top 10 (holding my breath).    

Not really. 85-86, 86-87 and 88-89 are among the 15th fastest paced NBA seasons in the 70 years of the league. 
1973-79 were the 6 highest Pace in league history.

1979-80  8th
1980-81  11th
1981-82  13th  
1982-83  7th
1983-84  12th
1984-85  10th
1985-86  9th
1986-87  14th
1987-88  18th
1988-89  15th

wikkid 80s:

Magic

Dunkenstein 

King

Tisdale

Ewing

Here's a major reason i would still take Magic over the consensus #1-2 in choosies and why i traded up to #3 to be sure to get him this time: his greatest accomplishment may well be saving the reputation of one Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Y'all forget what a load the Big Guy was til the ebullient kid from Lansing showed up. Can't blame Kareem - i get my momentum from the pushoff, too, and it was just too frikkin easy, but with the whole world not caring who you are except when you play your hit. Magic turned him into a basketball player again.

But Magic's teams would have been better with Patrick Ewing or Hakeem than Kareem. A center who could run out would have been perfect for him. So i'm already ahead of Showtime. Add the best 1-on-1 scorer i ever seen and two college superstars who were never given a serious reason to run up & down the floor in the show (still did they twunnies for the munnies and all), and you got some ####, my brother.

I’m still crunching numbers so maybe it’ll come out different but my impression so far is the 80s are going to have several really good squads in the top half.

Well, crap.  I thought I had already posted my 80's write up, but I apparently didn't hit submit or something and the editor didn't save it....so, here I go again.

Jayrodsquad of the 1980's

In reviewing the past 2 eras results, I find it is important to explain my thinking.  I pick my teams based less on positions and more on fulfilling roles since that is how teams are assembled and coached.  So, I will present my team and the specific role I have in mind for them to play:

PG - Dennis "DJ" Johnson - Leader, ball-handler, primary perimeter defender

HOF, 3x Champ, 9x All-D, 2x All-NBA, 5x All-star, Finals MVP.  My most decorated player and the heart and soul of my team.  He was a key piece to 3 separate championships and an elite perimeter defender.  He will initiate the offense, shoot well when left alone and lock down the opponents top outside threat (including Magic).

SG - Adrian "AD" Dantley - Scorer

HOF, 2x Scoring Title, 2x All-NBA, 2x All-star, ROY.  He has one job and he is elite at it.  Averaged over 30 ppg for four straight seasons and 24.3 for his career on an eFG% of .540 and 81.8% at the line with 8.7 FTA/game for his career.  This offense funnels to him and he scores like he was born to do.  He grabbed 5.7 rbs & dished 3.0 asts for his career as well and will be allowed to float on defense, picking up the weakest perimeter threat.

SF - Jamaal "Silk" Wilkes - Glue guy, finisher off the break & wing defender

HOF, 4x Champ, 2x All-D, 3x All-star, ROY.  He won titles at every level of his career and got the ROY nod over his UCLA teammate Walton.  When this team needs a second perimeter defender, he will be that guy (2x All-D).  When we need a second scorer, he can be that guy (17.7 career ppg).  If we need some help on the boards, he can be that guy (6.2 career rpg).  He knows how to run the floor and can put pressure on the opponent in all phases of the game.

PF - Dan "Rounds" Roundfield - Post defender and rebounder

5x All-D, 1x All-NBA, 3x All-star.  His defense was some of the best in the era at his position (behind only McHale).  He had elite athleticism and jumping ability that made him a tough defender and rebounder.  He could score when needed, but this team will allow him simply to roam for offensive boards and focus on defense.  He finished top 20 in DWS 5 times and is #68 for his career on the all-time defensive rating list and averaged over 10 rpg for 6 straight seasons.

C - Jeff "McNasty" Ruland - Post offense, secondary distributor and rebounder

2x All-star.  His career was limited greatly by a foot injury.  But he put together 2 full seasons and 2 other half seasons of high end level production from the center position against an era of subpar performers.  If he was able to stay healthy, he would have rivaled Sikma and Laimbeer for top 3-4 in the era.  At his peak, he averaged 22.2 pts, 12.3 rbs and 3.9 asts in '83-84.  He followed that up with back to back All-star appearances until the foot injury stopped him.  He posted 5 triple doubles in his career and was a highly capable passer out of the post and efficient on offense with a career eFG of 56.4%.

3 HOFers, 4 all-NBA guys, 3 all-D team members and all 5 were all-stars.  Not a hole among them and they fit together like a puzzle.

Well, crap.  I thought I had already posted my 80's write up, but I apparently didn't hit submit or something and the editor didn't save it....so, here I go again.

Jayrodsquad of the 1970's

In reviewing the past 2 eras results, I find it is important to explain my thinking.  I pick my teams based less on positions and more on fulfilling roles since that is how teams are assembled and coached.  So, I will present my team and the specific role I have in mind for them to play:

PG - Dennis "DJ" Johnson - Leader, ball-handler, primary perimeter defender

HOF, 3x Champ, 9x All-D, 2x All-NBA, 5x All-star, Finals MVP.  My most decorated player and the heart and soul of my team.  He was a key piece to 3 separate championships and an elite perimeter defender.  He will initiate the offense, shoot well when left alone and lock down the opponents top outside threat (including Magic).

SG - Adrian "AD" Dantley - Scorer

HOF, 2x Scoring Title, 2x All-NBA, 2x All-star, ROY.  He has one job and he is elite at it.  Averaged over 30 ppg for four straight seasons and 24.3 for his career on an eFG% of .540 and 81.8% at the line with 8.7 FTA/game for his career.  This offense funnels to him and he scores like he was born to do.  He grabbed 5.7 rbs & dished 3.0 asts for his career as well and will be allowed to float on defense, picking up the weakest perimeter threat.

SF - Jamaal "Silk" Wilkes - Glue guy, finisher off the break & wing defender

HOF, 4x Champ, 2x All-D, 3x All-star, ROY.  He won titles at every level of his career and got the ROY nod over his UCLA teammate Walton.  When this team needs a second perimeter defender, he will be that guy (2x All-D).  When we need a second scorer, he can be that guy (17.7 career ppg).  If we need some help on the boards, he can be that guy (6.2 career rpg).  He knows how to run the floor and can put pressure on the opponent in all phases of the game.

PF - Dan "Rounds" Roundfield - Post defender and rebounder

5x All-D, 1x All-NBA, 3x All-star.  His defense was some of the best in the era at his position (behind only McHale).  He had elite athleticism and jumping ability that made him a tough defender and rebounder.  He could score when needed, but this team will allow him simply to roam for offensive boards and focus on defense.  He finished top 20 in DWS 5 times and is #68 for his career on the all-time defensive rating list and averaged over 10 rpg for 6 straight seasons.

C - Jeff "McNasty" Ruland - Post offense, secondary distributor and rebounder

2x All-star.  His career was limited greatly by a foot injury.  But he put together 2 full seasons and 2 other half seasons of high end level production from the center position against an era of subpar performers.  If he was able to stay healthy, he would have rivaled Sikma and Laimbeer for top 3-4 in the era.  At his peak, he averaged 22.2 pts, 12.3 rbs and 3.9 asts in '83-84.  He followed that up with back to back All-star appearances until the foot injury stopped him.  He posted 5 triple doubles in his career and was a highly capable passer out of the post and efficient on offense with a career eFG of 56.4%.
in my choosies criteria (IOW, at their peaks), i take Ruland over Sikma or Laimbeer.

AD may have only been 6'3 but he wasnt any more a guard than Barkley (another 6'3 guy)

Fine team

in my choosies criteria (IOW, at their peaks), i take Ruland over Sikma or Laimbeer.

AD may have only been 6'3 but he wasnt any more a guard than Barkley (another 6'3 guy)

Fine team
Thanks.  I know on the bolded, but he never needed much room to operate.  It seems he preferred to work with his guy on his hip rather than out in space. 

Defensively, with DJ and Silk, he can sag and cheat to the paint.  Offensively, he'll get it where he wants it when he wants it and the rest will keep the spacing.

ETA:  I'm not going to lie.  Out of all of the teams I assembled in this draft, this is the one I'm most proud of.  I think they are my 3rd best, but its a really good squad in this era.

80s

SF Alex English- 8x all-star, 3x all-NBA, HOF, most points scored in the 1980s.  A natural scorer and just walking bucket, he'll lead the offense as we outscore your ###. 28.4/7.3/4.8/1.4/1.5 in '83.

SG Otis Birdsong- 4x all-star and all-NBA performer, another guy who could fill it up.  These are the main 2 guys leading the offense.  Best year probably '81 where he went 24.6/3.6/3.3/1.3.

PG Doc Rivers- When you've got 2 scorers like that, you need to have an all-around PG to distribute and play some D.  Enter the all-star who averaged 12.8/10 in '87, and basically head coach out on the floor.

PF A.C. Green- Now for some guys to do the dirty work, give me the all-star, all-defensive performer, 3x NBA champion.  You can basically pencil him down for 13/9 every night with some hard-nosed defense and iron-man tenacity.

C Benoit Benjamin- The centers in this decade pretty much suck, so give me the big load down low, the #3 overall pick, 7 feet tall and 250 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal. Around 14/9 a night, he'll form a formidable duo with A.C.

Isiah Thomas: 21/4/12/2

Walter Davis: 25/5/4/2

Dominique Wilkins: 30/7/3/2/1

Tom Chambers: 24/7/3/1/1

Jack Sikma: 19/12/3/1/1
Let's get into this as Larry Bird would to all challengers - with some trash talk (that adheres to "Sorry Joe" parameters).

This is a very good team Ilov80s...it's just too bad it's going up against teams with Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.  That team may even be strong enough to win some decades, just not this one.  You may love the 80s but it doesn't love you back enough.  Hey, there's nothing wrong with a bronze medal, so know your lane and go after what you can reasonably achieve.  Now back to the bench with you.

You know those consistently irritating best player of all-time debates with Michael Jordan vs LeBron James?  Yeah, me too.  There’s none of that with NBA trash talking *Larry Bird was the best trash-talker in NBA history* bar none.  He is Michael and LeBron combined in this category.  So, talk if you must, but you already know how it will end.

Some trash-talking highlights...always backed up on the court:

• Throughout his career Larry would ask players on the road what the scoring record in that arena was.  Once he was even asked why and he responded, "Well, you’re guarding me, aren’t you?”
  • Indiana’s Chuck Person said he was going “Bird Hunting” once.  Bird overheard and immediately fired a three-pointer right in his face.  While the ball was in mid-air he turned to him and snarled, “Merry ####### Christmas” as the shot went through the net.
  • Xavier McDaniel once made the mistake of talking trash with Larry Legend as well.  Boston was down one-point with under 10 seconds left when Bird told X-Man, “I’m going to get the ball right here and I am going to shoot it right in your face,” He worked for the ball, got to the spot he’d pointed out, and hit the game-winning shot.  On the way back down the floor he told McDaniel, "I didn’t mean to leave two seconds on the clock."
  • Along those same lines, Bird once told the Mavs bench exactly how he was going to score on the next play. “So you got that?” Bird said. “I’m gonna stand right here. I’m not going to move. They’ll pass me the ball, and the next sound you hear will be the ball hitting the bottom of the net.” The next time down the floor, Bird was true to his word, and winked at the Dallas bench afterwards for good measure.
  • In one of his more well-known trash-talking examples, Bird arrived at Chicago Stadium to defend his back-to-back three-point titles in 1988, looked around the locker room and asked, “So, who’s coming in second?” 🤣  Again, this was directed at a group of All-Stars and some of the best shooters on the planet.  Of course, Bird backed up his trash talk and won the contest for the third year in a row. 
  • Craig Hodges won the 1990 Three-Point Contest and was asked if there would be an asterisk next to his victory because he didn’t go against Bird, who had won the first three contests. Hodges responded, “He knows where to find me.” That comment was relayed to Bird who replied, “Yeah, at the end of the Bulls’ bench.”
  • Noted trash-talker Reggie Miller even got in the act once before realizing Larry wasn't some sub-6 foot director.  Miller tried to get in his head when he was at the free-throw line and Bird snapped back, "I am the best ####### shooter in the league. In the league, understand?  And you’re up here trying to ####### tell me something?” Bird then hit both free throws without the ball touching the rim.
  • Toward the end of Bird's career the Pacers put rookie George McCloud on him.  This amused Larry, so he turned to the bench and said, “I know you guys are desperate, but can’t you find someone who at least has a prayer?”
  • Dennis Rodman, one of the greatest defenders of all-time, was not immune to Larry's infamous trash-talking. Rodman was guarding Bird when he scored four consecutive baskets on him. Bird then started yelling at Pistons head coach Chuck Daly. “Who’s guarding me, Chuck? Is anyone guarding me? You better get someone on me or I’m gonna go for 60!”  Rodman then started going into NBA Finals, game 7 defensive mode to deny him the ball, but Bird was still yelling. “I’m open! Hurry up before they notice nobody is guarding me!”  He then secured the ball and promptly scored again.
  • For one final trash-talking example, let's go to the 1984-85 season and the Boston Celtics are visiting the Atlanta Hawks (in New Orleans). This was two days after he ran a 5-mile charity race and he may have even been hungover (denied by Larry). To cut to the chase, Larry Bird put up 60 points in one of the best shooting displays in NBA history.  Amazingly, this isn't what most people even remember about that game.  What most remember is Bird running down the court asking the Hawks, “in the trainer’s lap — who wants it?”  Meaning he was going to hit a deep three right in somebody's face.  Doc Rivers had this to say about it, "[Bird] shot this high rainbow, it goes in, Rickey [Brown] bumps into him and accidentally knocks him on our trainer’s lap. So it was exactly what he said, it was an accident but it was almost fate."  Go to the 3:15 mark and watch Larry's trash-talking being backed up.  Be sure to go back and watch the Hawks bench as Bird hit the shot.  Even Hawks players Cliff Levingston and Eddie Johnson were losing their minds.
This is what the best of the best of the best do.  Larry Bird would tell you what he was going to do and then he did it.  It didn't matter if the opponent was an All-Star or if the defender was a future Hall of Famer, Larry Bird was that good.  Try and rattle him and you get what you deserve.  This is Larry rattled.  Bird just said he was going to lead Team Trader Jake to the 16 points in the 1980's voting.  Plan accordingly.

Yo Mama's All-80s Team

PG - Michael Adams

Peak (5 Years) - 19p, 4r, 8a, 2stl, 2 threes

Recognition - 1 all star

PG - Sidney Moncrief

Peak (5 Years) - 21p, 6r, 5a, 2stl

Recognition - HOF, 2 DPOY, 5 all nba, 5 all star, 5 all d

SF - Dale Ellis

Peak (5 Years) - 24p, 5r, 2a, 1stl, 2 threes (on 41%)

Recognition - 1 all nba, 1 all star

PF - Mychal Thompson

Peak (5 Years) - 18p, 9r, 4a, 1stl, 2blk

Recognition - 2 champ

C - Robert Parish

Peak (11 Years) - 18p, 11r, 2a, 1stl, 2blk

Recognition - HOF, 4 champ, 2 all nba, 9 all star

This team doesn’t quite have the headliners that my 60s and 70s team did, but it still has two hall of famers, has incredible balance, and could be my most well put together decades team.

On offense, I have two legitimate three point threats in Adams and Ellis (a luxury for 80s squads), and both were annually at or near the top in the league averaging over 2 threes made per game (Ellis with an incredible 41% accuracy on that high volume of 3s).   Moncrief, while mostly known for his defense, also brought a great all around game to the offensive side averaging 21/6/5 during his 5 year all-nba run.  In the post, I have two bigs in Parish and Thompson who will be able to attack the rim and score against any of the other 80s squads, especially with the rare spacing my shooters will provide.

This team’s strength, however, is on the defensive side.  On the wings, Moncrief is the core of my defense – one of the all-time great defensive guards.  He won the first two defensive player of the year awards and even had some kid named Michael Jordan comment, “When you play against Moncrief, you're in for a night of all-around basketball. He'll hound you everywhere you go, both ends of the court. You just expect it.”  Adams, despite his small size, used his quickness to average over 2 steals a game and Ellis held his own on the wing with a steal a game.  Down low, Parish is one of the decade’s best defensive big men and Thompson could bang in the paint with anyone – both averaged a steal and two blocks a game in their primes.

:thumbup:

Let's get into this as Larry Bird would to all challengers - with some trash talk (that adheres to "Sorry Joe" parameters).

This is a very good team Ilov80s...it's just too bad it's going up against teams with Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.  That team may even be strong enough to win some decades, just not this one.  You may love the 80s but it doesn't love you back enough.  Hey, there's nothing wrong with a bronze medal, so know your lane and go after what you can reasonably achieve.  Now back to the bench with you.

You know those consistently irritating best player of all-time debates with Michael Jordan vs LeBron James?  Yeah, me too.  There’s none of that with NBA trash talking *Larry Bird was the best trash-talker in NBA history* bar none.  He is Michael and LeBron combined in this category.  So, talk if you must, but you already know how it will end.

• Throughout his career Larry would ask players on the road what the scoring record in that arena was.  Once he was even asked why and he responded, "Well, you’re guarding me, aren’t you?”
  • Indiana’s Chuck Person said he was going “Bird Hunting” once.  Bird overheard and immediately fired a three-pointer right in his face.  While the ball was in mid-air he turned to him and snarled, “Merry ####### Christmas” as the shot went through the net.
  • Xavier McDaniel once made the mistake of talking trash with Larry Legend as well.  Boston was down one-point with under 10 seconds left when Bird told X-Man, “I’m going to get the ball right here and I am going to shoot it right in your face,” He worked for the ball, got to the spot he’d pointed out, and hit the game-winning shot.  On the way back down the floor he told McDaniel, "I didn’t mean to leave two seconds on the clock."
  • Along those same lines, Bird once told the Mavs bench exactly how he was going to score on the next play. “So you got that?” Bird said. “I’m gonna stand right here. I’m not going to move. They’ll pass me the ball, and the next sound you hear will be the ball hitting the bottom of the net.” The next time down the floor, Bird was true to his word, and winked at the Dallas bench afterwards for good measure.
  • In one of his more well-known trash-talking examples, Bird arrived at Chicago Stadium to defend his back-to-back three-point titles in 1988, looked around the locker room and asked, “So, who’s coming in second?” 🤣  Again, this was directed at a group of All-Stars and some of the best shooters on the planet.  Of course, Bird backed up his trash talk and won the contest for the third year in a row. 
  • Craig Hodges won the 1990 Three-Point Contest and was asked if there would be an asterisk next to his victory because he didn’t go against Bird, who had won the first three contests. Hodges responded, “He knows where to find me.” That comment was relayed to Bird who replied, “Yeah, at the end of the Bulls’ bench.”
  • Noted trash-talker Reggie Miller even got in the act once before realizing Larry wasn't some sub-6 foot director.  Miller tried to get in his head when he was at the free-throw line and Bird snapped back, "I am the best ####### shooter in the league. In the league, understand?  And you’re up here trying to ####### tell me something?” Bird then hit both free throws without the ball touching the rim.
  • Toward the end of Bird's career the Pacers put rookie George McCloud on him.  This amused Larry, so he turned to the bench and said, “I know you guys are desperate, but can’t you find someone who at least has a prayer?”
  • Dennis Rodman, one of the greatest defenders of all-time, was not immune to Larry's infamous trash-talking. Rodman was guarding Bird when he scored four consecutive baskets on him. Bird then started yelling at Pistons head coach Chuck Daly. “Who’s guarding me, Chuck? Is anyone guarding me? You better get someone on me or I’m gonna go for 60!”  Rodman then started going into NBA Finals, game 7 defensive mode to deny him the ball, but Bird was still yelling. “I’m open! Hurry up before they notice nobody is guarding me!”  He then secured the ball and promptly scored again.
  • For one final trash-talking example, let's go to the 1984-85 season and the Boston Celtics are visiting the Atlanta Hawks (in New Orleans). This was two days after he ran a 5-mile charity race and he may have even been hungover (denied by Larry). To cut to the chase, Larry Bird put up 60 points in one of the best shooting displays in NBA history.  Amazingly, this isn't what most people even remember about that game.  What most remember is Bird running down the court asking the Hawks, “in the trainer’s lap — who wants it?”  Meaning he was going to hit a deep three right in somebody's face.  Doc Rivers had this to say about it, "[Bird] shot this high rainbow, it goes in, Rickey [Brown] bumps into him and accidentally knocks him on our trainer’s lap. So it was exactly what he said, it was an accident but it was almost fate."  Go to the 3:15 mark and watch Larry's trash-talking being backed up.  Be sure to go back and watch the Hawks bench as Bird hit the shot.  Even Hawks players Cliff Levingston and Eddie Johnson were losing their minds.
This is what the best of the best of the best do.  Larry Bird would tell you what he was going to do and then he did it.  It didn't matter if the opponent was an All-Star or if the defender was a future Hall of Famer, Larry Bird was that good.  Try and rattle him and you get what you deserve.  This is Larry rattled.  Bird just said he was going to lead Team Trader Jake to the 16 points in the 1980's voting.  Plan accordingly.
And with that post, it is time to pin the thread already.

This is my favorite discussion thread ever, and it isn't even close.

the thing Bird has to worry about against @Ilov80s's team is the glare off the interior defense

And with that post, it is time to pin the thread already.

This is my favorite discussion thread ever, and it isn't even close.
💯 Let's keep this going then.

It’s the 1980s and pastel shirts, big hair, and breakdancing are all the rage.  So get your Rubik’s cube and a quarter for the Ms. Pac-Man machine because NBA Action, It's Fantastic!

The NBA was in trouble in the late 70s with rampant cocaine use off-the-court while on-the-court some Finals games were being shown on television on tape delay.  Then came the 1979 NCAA Championship game and the NBA saw it’s future:  Magic vs. Bird.  The rivalry began there and continued with the Lakers vs. Celtics throughout the 1980s with each player instantly joining the best NBA player of all-time discussions.  To me the 1980s bracket comes down to those two players and the team builds around them.  An excellent starting five could compete with them, but without a Magic or Bird in the 1980s you’re probably hoping to go ”Back To The Future" to re-select your squad because at this point there’s no ”Trading Places".

So, let’s keep it going with the Hick from French Lick, Larry Legend himself.  This top 10 player of all-time joined the Hall of Fame as a 12x All-Star, 10x All-NBA, and 3x World Champion.  He won the rookie of the year award over Magic, won 2 Finals MVPs, and took home back-to-back-to-back MVP trophies (84-86).  He also earned 3 All-NBA defensive honors and dominated the 3point contest, winning back-to-back-to-back titles (86-88).  Bird joined the elusive 50/40/90 club in back-to-back seasons (87-88), shot over 40% from deep six times, and led the NBA in FT% four times to put him among the undisputed best shooters in basketball history (Steph Curry is #1 IMO).  Bird was much more than a good defender and marksman though, for his career he averaged 10 rebounds, 6.3 assists, and 1.7 steals and led the NBA in almost every advanced stat…including offensive win shares, defensive win shares four times, win shares twice, per/48 twice, offensive box +/- twice, player efficiency twice, overall box +/- four times and VORP for four consecutive seasons (83-86).  Combine all of these advanced stat categories together and Magic Johnson led the NBA a grand total of three times while Bird did so a whopping 19 times.  Magic may have outlasted Bird (and his Lakers won more titles) but at their peaks Larry Bird was the superior NBA player.

Unfortunately, Magic was forced to leave the NBA due to his HIV diagnosis.  I still remember that day and it was truly shocking.   Everyone assumed he would be dead within 2 years (most didn’t understand the difference between HIV and full-blown AIDS at the time, drugs to combat it were not great, etc) and I commend Magic for helping educate many.  What I can’t give him much credit for is how he handled his post-basketball time.  He followed by bombing as an NBC Commentator, went to coach the Lakers and resigned after 16 whole games (5-11) because he couldn’t reach the players, and he even eventually returned to the Lakers years later as a washed-up PF before retiring again after 32 games.  So, basically, he was a complete disaster.  At this point he seemed to be bored and would appear often on talk shows.  Like, every week he’d be on one of them.  His biggest failure was yet to come though….”The Magic Hour”.  Oh man.  He hosted his own Arsenio Hall inspired talk show that may be the worst show in the history of bad shows.  So bad - I refuse to link anything here from it - watch at your own risk.  Johnson has gone on to have great success as a businessman, but even his recent flameout as Lakers GM (never made the playoffs as an executive) illustrates that he just doesn’t fully understand basketball people and what it takes to build.  He may have been transcendent on the court, and he has a magnetic personality that he uses with great success in various business ventures, but his basketball instincts off the court only hurts that on-court product.  On the other side of that Magic vs Bird debate, Larry Legend worked for the Celtics for 6 years before taking the head coaching job with the Pacers - saying he’d be on the job for no more that three years.  He led the Pacers to their best record at the time, coached the All-Star game (a win), and took home the Coach of the Year award.  He followed that up with back-to-back divisional titles and a trip to the 2000 Finals.  He then stuck to his word and left the job after three seasons.  He moved upstairs and two years later he won the Executive of the Year award.  I’d say that’s a 4-1 gentleman’s sweep for Larry Bird, the man Twitter's logo is named after.

In a subsequent post I’ll address the team builds around Johnson and Bird.  Word to your mother.

💯 Let's keep this going then.

It’s the 1980s and pastel shirts, big hair, and breakdancing are all the rage.  So get your Rubik’s cube and a quarter for the Ms. Pac-Man machine because NBA Action, It's Fantastic!

The NBA was in trouble in the late 70s with rampant cocaine use off-the-court while on-the-court some Finals games were being shown on television on tape delay.  Then came the 1979 NCAA Championship game and the NBA saw it’s future:  Magic vs. Bird.  The rivalry began there and continued with the Lakers vs. Celtics throughout the 1980s with each player instantly joining the best NBA player of all-time discussions.  To me the 1980s bracket comes down to those two players and the team builds around them.  An excellent starting five could compete with them, but without a Magic or Bird in the 1980s you’re probably hoping to go ”Back To The Future" to re-select your squad because at this point there’s no ”Trading Places".

So, let’s keep it going with the Hick from French Lick, Larry Legend himself.  This top 10 player of all-time joined the Hall of Fame as a 12x All-Star, 10x All-NBA, and 3x World Champion.  He won the rookie of the year award over Magic, won 2 Finals MVPs, and took home back-to-back-to-back MVP trophies (84-86).  He also earned 3 All-NBA defensive honors and dominated the 3point contest, winning back-to-back-to-back titles (86-88).  Bird joined the elusive 50/40/90 club in back-to-back seasons (87-88), shot over 40% from deep six times, and led the NBA in FT% four times to put him among the undisputed best shooters in basketball history (Steph Curry is #1 IMO).  Bird was much more than a good defender and marksman though, for his career he averaged 10 rebounds, 6.3 assists, and 1.7 steals and led the NBA in almost every advanced stat…including offensive win shares, defensive win shares four times, win shares twice, per/48 twice, offensive box +/- twice, player efficiency twice, overall box +/- four times and VORP for four consecutive seasons (83-86).  Combine all of these advanced stat categories together and Magic Johnson led the NBA a grand total of three times while Bird did so a whopping 19 times.  Magic may have outlasted Bird (and his Lakers won more titles) but at their peaks Larry Bird was the superior NBA player.

Unfortunately, Magic was forced to leave the NBA due to his HIV diagnosis.  I still remember that day and it was truly shocking.   Everyone assumed he would be dead within 2 years (most didn’t understand the difference between HIV and full-blown AIDS at the time, drugs to combat it were not great, etc) and I commend Magic for helping educate many.  What I can’t give him much credit for is how he handled his post-basketball time.  He followed by bombing as an NBC Commentator, went to coach the Lakers and resigned after 16 whole games (5-11) because he couldn’t reach the players, and he even eventually returned to the Lakers years later as a washed-up PF before retiring again after 32 games.  So, basically, he was a complete disaster.  At this point he seemed to be bored and would appear often on talk shows.  Like, every week he’d be on one of them.  His biggest failure was yet to come though….”The Magic Hour”.  Oh man.  He hosted his own Arsenio Hall inspired talk show that may be the worst show in the history of bad shows.  So bad - I refuse to link anything here from it - watch at your own risk.  Johnson has gone on to have great success as a businessman, but even his recent flameout as Lakers GM (never made the playoffs as an executive) illustrates that he just doesn’t fully understand basketball people and what it takes to build.  He may have been transcendent on the court, and he has a magnetic personality that he uses with great success in various business ventures, but his basketball instincts off the court only hurts that on-court product.  On the other side of that Magic vs Bird debate, Larry Legend worked for the Celtics for 6 years before taking the head coaching job with the Pacers - saying he’d be on the job for no more that three years.  He led the Pacers to their best record at the time, coached the All-Star game (a win), and took home the Coach of the Year award.  He followed that up with back-to-back divisional titles and a trip to the 2000 Finals.  He then stuck to his word and left the job after three seasons.  He moved upstairs and two years later he won the Executive of the Year award.  I’d say that’s a 4-1 gentleman’s sweep for Larry Bird, the man Twitter's logo is named after.

In a subsequent post I’ll address the team builds around Johnson and Bird.  Word to your mother.
Magic vs Bird breakdown:

Passing - Magic (but it isn't that far apart)

Ball handling - Magic

Longevity - Magic

Rings - Magic

Everything else related to basketball - Bird

Bird was a better defender, scorer and rebounder and had a higher peak. When head to head as individual players and both healthy, Bird wins.

wikkid 80s:

Magic

Dunkenstein 

King

Tisdale

Ewing
Very good squad wikkidpissah, no doubt.  I'll have it at #2, 15 points when I submit my rankings for the 1980s. 😉

I’m still crunching numbers so maybe it’ll come out different but my impression so far is the 80s are going to have several really good squads in the top half.
Hopefully your crunching takes into account thisthis, and below.  Enjoy!

With all this Magic vs Larry talk, let’s take a look at the builds for these 1980s squads and see how they match-up head-to-head.  Wikkidpissah put together a great team with PG Magic, SG Darrell Griffith, SF Bernard King, PF Wayman Tisdale, and C Patrick Ewing, but how do they stack up against PG Derek Harper, SG Michael Cooper, SF Larry Bird, PF Sam Perkins, and C Mark Eaton?

We know Magic had the longer career, so his team should have the most basic advantage in this squad vs. squad match-up...

Win Shares
Magic    155.8
Griffith    22.0
King    75.4
Tisdale    45.7
Ewing    126.4

Harper    86.8
Cooper    52.5
Bird    145.8
Perkins    105.4
Eaton    44.8

Winner – Team Bird

Maybe it’s just a statistical oddity?

Win Shares/48 minutes
Magic    0.225
Griffith    0.049
King    0.123
Tisdale    0.092
Ewing    0.150

Harper    0.110
Cooper    0.107
Bird    0.203
Perkins    0.138
Eaton    0.085

Ewing may be a good center, but that team just isn’t quite good enough.  Horseshoes and hand grenades.
Winner – Team Bird

Fine, let’s just look at assists and get Magic a game 3 win at home.

Career Assists:
Magic    10,141
Griffith    1,627
King    2,863
Tisdale    1,077
Ewing    2,215

Harper    6,577
Cooper    3,666
Bird    5,695
Perkins    1,975
Eaton    840

This isn’t going like the 1979 Final (where you had the superior teammates), is it Magic?
Winner – Team Bird

Okay, let’s just surround Magic with some shooters and see what happens?  We know Magic can deliver the pass to an outside shooter when the biggest games are on the line.  Heck, he even did it to defeat Michael Jordan in MJ's very first NBA Finals game.  LINK  Note:  That game-winner was made by Team Bird PF Sam Perkins.

Career 3point percentage:

Magic    30%
Griffith    33%
King    17%
Tisdale    0%
Ewing    15%
Average – 23.8% (removing 0% Tisdale)

Harper    35%
Cooper    34%
Bird    38%
Perkins    36%
Eaton    0%
Average – 35.8% (removing 0% Eaton)

Man, the BEST shooter on Team Magic would only be above Eaton on Team Bird.  Earvin and that team are looking at some really crowded lanes, huh?  Eaton may not even have to show why he's the all-time NBA leader in blocks/game.  We'll even start the highlight package with a block on Kareem, then on Magic himself.  LINK (<-- Go to the 1:13 mark to see Eaton drain a three, check that, foot on the line - long two...eat your heart out Sikma!)
Winner (again) – Team Bird

the thing Bird has to worry about against @Ilov80s's team is the glare off the interior defense
Okay, okay…maybe Ewing and that squad will have enough defense to make this a series?  Let's take a look.

All-NBA Defensive Teams:
Magic    0
Griffith    0
King    0
Tisdale    0
Ewing    3
Total – 3

Harper    2
Cooper    8
Bird    3
Perkins    0
Eaton    5
Total – 18

Um, that’s not Bird vs. Magic, that's more like Celtics vs. CLIPPERS in the 80’s.  :bag:  
Winner (by a ridiculously large margin) – Team Bird

Well, at least Magic gets to play alongside Michael Cooper, so the player Larry Bird once said was "the toughest defender he ever faced" could make Bird earn it.  Wait, what?  He's on Larry Bird's side this time around?  Instead he'll help wear down Magic for 40 minutes?  Damn, this just keeps getting worse and worse.  Somewhere, Jack Nicholson weeps.  Or he'd be smart and hop on the Team Bird bandwagon. So should you.

You guys are all great. Easily the best thread of all time. But here's the thing. When it comes down to it, Wikkid clearly has the best squad for the 80s. It's not super close. While a true 90s Center, Ewing is not even close to as egregious a decade swap as many of the others (cough cough earl cough), and with 5 great years in the 80s and 7 in the 90s, he's the perfect case of "decade flexibility". That team is dominant (more on this later though, as there's a clear out as to why they may not be #1 in the end).

The next tier is where it gets tight. In no particular order yet, I see: @trader jake, @Ilov80s, @Instinctive, @Yo Mama, @Jayrod all with reasonable arguments to being #2 (or #1 if you subscribe to the Ewing theory, which for those living under a rock is named after the key player whose teams always seemed to do better without him and who could never win himself. I personally believe winning matters, don't you? Surprised @wikkidpissah, who usually values such stats as "W's" highly, would take such a mentally soft loser as highly as he did).

Given all the above, I'm here to tell you why this incredible squad of 80s talent, which so perfectly represents the decade, is among the very best. Not only is it a fantastically well put together team with a minimum of four all-star appearances at every position, it has an absolute crapload of defense (and defensive honors, from owning 5 of the 10 steals titles of the decade, to locking down the All-defensive backcourt of the decade, to rebounding titles, to the undisputed knock-you-on-you-###-if-you-come-in-here title) as well as hall of fame offense, a key instance of David Stern's racism and money-grubbing double standards for players, a mix of guys who all played a majority of the decade (or all of it, in multiple cases), some NBA championships...the list goes on. 

The Squad:

PG - Micheal Ray Richardson: an understated 15/6/7 for his career, "Sugar Ray" was lightning fast with insane hands and a handle to match. One of the preeminent poster children for OMG he's good combined with ooo that cocaine thing though, MRR is emblematic of the 1980s NBA in more ways than one. He kicked off the decade with all-star appearances, assist title, steals titles, and multiple all-defensive honors. As I look at these 80s squads, I see him as the likely 4th best G after Magic, Isiah, and Dennis Johnson. He's likely the 2nd best defender after DJ as well (man I just missed DJ on this team too, I really wanted him). 

SG - Alvin Robertson: Where did Bruce Bowen learn to play defense? From Mr. Roberston. How is Alvin different from Bruce Bowen? For one, he earned the nickname "Dog," as in a junkyard dog you do not want to #### with. For two, Alvin could get buckets when called upon, and in keeping with the overall theme of this squad, managed to rack up a nice total of 14/5/5, hitting the glass and dishing the ball to teammates throughout his career. As shooting threes began to gain momentum, he moved from a "once every 10 games at 28%" guy to a "twice a game at 34% guy" for the Spurs. Alvin also outright won Defensive Player of the Year in '86, and added to Micheal Ray's steals titles with three more for our squad.

SF - Marques Johnson: Our lead bucket-getter, the Slammer is widely acknowledged as the beginning of the point forward craze, and yet another guy you do not want to #### with (not so far from his reputation here, though perhaps a little dramatized). Raymond, I mean Marques, poured it in to the tune of 3 all NBA teams and 20/7/4 through the decade, constantly slashing to the basket and getting the the line for 5+ FT/game. At 6'7", he had the agility to play SG but the 218 lb size to handle the bigger wing, where he most naturally fit on defense. While he's not King, English, Worthy, Nique, or Bird, he's a fantastic value and solid consolation to go toe to toe with those guys on the scoreboard, as a plus defender himself, surrounded by this lockdown crew. Specialization of labor!

PF - Ralph Sampson: Our Hall of Fame big fella number one was one of the best basketball players the entire decade. Like Bird, he won collegiate titles. Unlike Bird, he is one of the only players in history to be named the College Player of the year THREE times (in case you forgot, the most years you can play is 4). He was described as the guy who could score like Wilt and defend like Russell. Seriously - high praise. Now, he didn't achieve all that potential, but did make the faceup game a whole new challenge, as among the first 7-footers (maybe the first?) to face you up and put moves on you. Sampson is the first player in history to go for 30/15/5/5, and while playing with Hakeem, outshone the legendary big man on the brightest stages, taking the All-Star game MVP from him when they dominated the Eastern conference. Sampson's 15/9/2 career averages are brought down by his post-injury 90s years, while in the mid-late 80s he was putting up 20/11/3 with 2 blocks and a steal night in and night out. While he could also be a fantastic center n his own right, we wanted to get a hulking monster in there and allow Ralph's athleticism to be a havoc-wreaking weakside shot blocker and a pick and roll finisher. We needed someone with the bulk for bruising bigs on defense and the shooting touch to space it out on offense, leading to the perfect fit of...

C - Bill Laimbeer: The Prince of Darkness (yep, that's his nickname - the 80s were LIT - also known as "His Heinous") arrives to tie this fantastic squad of individual stars with perfect cohesion in a pretty little bow and put you on the floor if you somehow make it to the paint. Laimbeer put together a career 13/10/2 with a block and a steal per game, but his 80s heyday prime was a monster of 17/13/2 slash lines. He's a monster on defense, holding down the paint as the league's premier enforcer, perhaps the greatest of all time in the role (hat tip to Wayne Embry there too). He was also automatic from the elbows, peaking at 37% from three and 84% lifetime from the line. He's a team player, willing to step up and down into roles as needed, game to game and year to year, to help the team win.

Overall summary:

This team is awesome. Not only is there no hole on defense (all are positives on DBPM and DWS metrics), there are astounding hands, rim protection, and all five positions rebound well compared to their peers. We lock down the perimeter first with Robertson and Richardson, and we clean the glass - you get one shot, well-defended, and that's it. Hell, given all the steals titles in this backcourt, you aren't going to get a shot many times, and we'll take our free points on the break. If you want to get tough, this squad will beat your ###. If you want to play a finesse game, they'll run circles around you there too.

Collectively, they have a 95% assist rate as guys on the floor (for reference, the league leading team is usually around 70%). They share the ball like crazy, and all but Ralph are positive AST/TOV guys. 

It's not even my best team...hell, it may be my fourth best team of the six. But I am damn proud of how this squad came together. Sure, some may ding Micheal Ray and Sampson for "injury careers" - but before you do, at least take a look at how much of the 80s they actually played and how dominant they were when they did. They aren't Bill Walton, who really only had two awesome seasons and missed 3 full seasons and parts of many others. They aren't 10-years-in-the-decade guys like Magic either, but they left a true mark on the league.

I'm excited to see the judging here.

You guys are all great. Easily the best thread of all time. But here's the thing. When it comes down to it, Wikkid clearly has the best squad for the 80s. It's not super close. While a true 90s Center, Ewing is not even close to as egregious a decade swap as many of the others (cough cough earl cough), and with 5 great years in the 80s and 7 in the 90s, he's the perfect case of "decade flexibility". That team is dominant (more on this later though, as there's a clear out as to why they may not be #1 in the end).
Agreed with Instinctive here. Still really don’t know a lot the guys this era, but upon first glance it appears Wikkid did some work.

Very good squad wikkidpissah, no doubt.  I'll have it at #2, 15 points when I submit my rankings for the 1980s. 😉

Hopefully your crunching takes into account thisthis, and below.  Enjoy!

With all this Magic vs Larry talk, let’s take a look at the builds for these 1980s squads and see how they match-up head-to-head.  Wikkidpissah put together a great team with PG Magic, SG Darrell Griffith, SF Bernard King, PF Wayman Tisdale, and C Patrick Ewing, but how do they stack up against PG Derek Harper, SG Michael Cooper, SF Larry Bird, PF Sam Perkins, and C Mark Eaton?

We know Magic had the longer career, so his team should have the most basic advantage in this squad vs. squad match-up...

Win Shares
Magic    155.8
Griffith    22.0
King    75.4
Tisdale    45.7
Ewing    126.4

Harper    86.8
Cooper    52.5
Bird    145.8
Perkins    105.4
Eaton    44.8

Winner – Team Bird

Maybe it’s just a statistical oddity?

Win Shares/48 minutes
Magic    0.225
Griffith    0.049
King    0.123
Tisdale    0.092
Ewing    0.150

Harper    0.110
Cooper    0.107
Bird    0.203
Perkins    0.138
Eaton    0.085

Ewing may be a good center, but that team just isn’t quite good enough.  Horseshoes and hand grenades.
Winner – Team Bird

Fine, let’s just look at assists and get Magic a game 3 win at home.

Career Assists:
Magic    10,141
Griffith    1,627
King    2,863
Tisdale    1,077
Ewing    2,215

Harper    6,577
Cooper    3,666
Bird    5,695
Perkins    1,975
Eaton    840

This isn’t going like the 1979 Final (where you had the superior teammates), is it Magic?
Winner – Team Bird

Okay, let’s just surround Magic with some shooters and see what happens?  We know Magic can deliver the pass to an outside shooter when the biggest games are on the line.  Heck, he even did it to defeat Michael Jordan in MJ's very first NBA Finals game.  LINK  Note:  That game-winner was made by Team Bird PF Sam Perkins.

Career 3point percentage:

Magic    30%
Griffith    33%
King    17%
Tisdale    0%
Ewing    15%
Average – 23.8% (removing 0% Tisdale)

Harper    35%
Cooper    34%
Bird    38%
Perkins    36%
Eaton    0%
Average – 35.8% (removing 0% Eaton)

Man, the BEST shooter on Team Magic would only be above Eaton on Team Bird.  Earvin and that team are looking at some really crowded lanes, huh?  Eaton may not even have to show why he's the all-time NBA leader in blocks/game.  We'll even start the highlight package with a block on Kareem, then on Magic himself.  LINK (<-- Go to the 1:13 mark to see Eaton drain a three, check that, foot on the line - long two...eat your heart out Sikma!)
Winner (again) – Team Bird

Okay, okay…maybe Ewing and that squad will have enough defense to make this a series?  Let's take a look.

All-NBA Defensive Teams:
Magic    0
Griffith    0
King    0
Tisdale    0
Ewing    3
Total – 3

Harper    2
Cooper    8
Bird    3
Perkins    0
Eaton    5
Total – 18

Um, that’s not Bird vs. Magic, that's more like Celtics vs. CLIPPERS in the 80’s.  :bag:  
Winner (by a ridiculously large margin) – Team Bird

Well, at least Magic gets to play alongside Michael Cooper, so the player Larry Bird once said was "the toughest defender he ever faced" could make Bird earn it.  Wait, what?  He's on Larry Bird's side this time around?  Instead he'll help wear down Magic for 40 minutes?  Damn, this just keeps getting worse and worse.  Somewhere, Jack Nicholson weeps.  Or he'd be smart and hop on the Team Bird bandwagon. So should you.
my statircal analysis:

Harper carries other's bags
Eaton's statue defense sags
Magic passes over Cooper
Bird your only real-life hooper
Put all the switches up on Perk
Cannot see him make it work

Magic walks it up the floor
Too many choices for the score
King takes Birdman to the bucket
Darrell walkin' sky to dunk it
Patrick one bounce, feel his flow
Suddenly Mark is Eaton crow
Tiz say "out da Way man"!
 Come a bounce pass from da Shaman

nufced

1973-79 were the 6 highest Pace in league history.

1979-80  8th
1980-81  11th
1981-82  13th  
1982-83  7th
1983-84  12th
1984-85  10th
1985-86  9th
1986-87  14th
1987-88  18th
1988-89  15th
Not sure how that hurts my argument that the 80s were a relatively high paced offensively minded decade. 

You get the Isiah treatment. I won't like the post, I won't acknowledge that it was good. Just a f- you and walk off. 

I can't say I am an aficionado of early 80s NBA but Sikma's advanced stats indicate he was a very good defensive center. I didn't try to build a defensive team, quite the opposite, but Sikma is not a defensive liability. 

Not sure how anything you’ve written hurts my argument that the end of the decade saw a greater emphasis on defense.
The ppg numbers don't show this but whatever it's a silly debate. No matter how you look at it, the 80s were some of the most offensive oriented basketball the NBA has played. Only the 60s produced more ppg.  

EY's 1980's Ultra-Value Squad!
We have great rebounding at power forward and center, perimeter defense is excellent and outstanding passing that will lead to efficient scoring for everyone. High field goal percentages at all positions.

PG - "Stormin'" Norm Nixon
In his first year with the Clippers, Stormin' Norman averaged 17 points and a whopping 11 assists.
Career averages: 15.7 PPG, 2.6 RBS, 8.3 AST, 48.3 FG%
2x Champion
2x All-star
1977-1978 All Rookie Team

SG - "Fast" Eddie Johnson
In the All-Star years he averaged 19 PPG, 5 AST, 50 FG%.
2× NBA All-Star (1980, 1981)
2× NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1979, 1980)
CBA Newcomer of the Year (1987)
3× First-team All-SEC (1974–1976)

SF - Mike Mitchell
Between the 1980-86 seasons, Mitchell average 22 PPG, 5 RBS, 50 FG%
1981 All-Star

PF - "Truck" Robinson
Around his All-star years he was averaging 22 PPG, 14 RBS, 48.3 FG%
2× NBA All-Star (1978, 1981)
All-NBA First Team (1978)
NBA rebounding champion (1978)

C - Swen Nater
Between his ABA and NBA careers he averaged 12.5 PPG , 11.5 RBS 54 FG%. These include his last two twilight seasons with the San Diego Clippers and Lakers.
1975 ABA Rebounding Champion - 16.4 RPG
1980 NBA Rebounding Champion - 15 RPG

2× ABA All-Star (1974, 1975)
2× All-ABA Second Team (1974, 1975)
ABA Rookie of the Year (1974)
ABA All-Rookie First Team (1974)
NBA rebounding leader (1980)
2× NCAA champion (1972, 1973)

Users who are viewing this thread