What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (1 Viewer)

Knocking all these down three spots for spamming the thread.

;)

Had a busy DIY weekend installing a new pull down kitchen faucet and ADA compliant automatic door (4 trips to Lowe’s - it’s never as easy as I think it’ll be  :P )

We on a deadline? I’ll have my 70s rankings done late afternoon if that’s not too late.
Based on your DIY methods of needing 4 trips to Lowe's (I usually only need three) I would think you would appreciate the "spamming" so you don't have to make another trip "back to the store".  hahaha

Based on your DIY methods of needing 4 trips to Lowe's (I usually only need three) I would think you would appreciate the "spamming" so you don't have to make another trip "back to the store".  hahaha
Unfortunately my girlfriend doesn’t have a milling machine setup in her home office. Was a nonstandard install on a very old fireproof door, had to build a new plate to mount the door handle and electronic deadbolt on. Then make a custom end plate to set the locks/latch. Then we got to do it all over again bc my future BIL decided to thread the wiring harness through the top part where all the moving parts are instead of looping it through the bottom. He drilled a screw right through the harness and pulled all the high gauge wiring out. What a mensch.

😴 💤 🛌 OH SORRY AM I BORING THE #### OUT OF YOU? Welcome to the world of reading your write ups. lol

:hifive:

Unfortunately my girlfriend doesn’t have a milling machine setup in her home office. Was a nonstandard install on a very old fireproof door, had to build a new plate to mount the door handle and electronic deadbolt on. Then make a custom end plate to set the locks/latch. Then we got to do it all over again bc my future BIL decided to thread the wiring harness through the top part where all the moving parts are instead of looping it through the bottom. He drilled a screw right through the harness and pulled all the high gauge wiring out. What a mensch.

😴 💤 🛌 OH SORRY AM I BORING THE #### OUT OF YOU? Welcome to the world of reading your write ups. lol

:hifive:
Actually I found it quite interesting.  Sounds like you need to find better help...haha

Question for the group: If you notice a player is out of position, out of decade, or anything else that could drop a team in your rankings...what is the desired protocol?  For example: Pistol Pete being at SF (as previously pointed out).

Just sent in 70s rankings.  Tough groups to separate...I'm guessing there will be some wider ranking spreads that the 1960s.
A slight downgrade but really depends. Lot of teams ran three guard lineups for significant minutes with good success. In that era if you had a guy 6’4”-6’7” who was a 2 you could easily slide him to wingman. To me it’s more problematic playing a 3 as a PF or a 4 as a C or a 5 as a PF (there are obvious exceptions so it’s not a linear rule.)

Actually I found it quite interesting.  Sounds like you need to find better help...haha
well my apprentice had a great attitude & is full of positivity so it’s easy to overlook the lack of opposable thumbs 

the sisters had a great weekend together (first time seeing each other since last fall) so still a successful visit

plus they went back to with three dozen fresh NYC bagels for the college bums (1 in grad school 1 senior 1 freshman) they’ve been quarantining with

also good to relearn for the 140th time I’m probably better off hiring a contractor 

:lmao:

Getting blood 🩸 drawn rn.

If you’re over 50 have your PSA checked every year. Prostrate cancer has a high chance for successful treatment bc it’s a slow growth disease but it’s super important you get results every year. Do the right thing. [/arnoldpalmerPSAPSA]
I might pass on a prostrate exam that draws blood.

Mister CIA said:
I might pass on a prostrate exam that draws blood.
Well there’s the test, and there’s screening. I’d recommend the screening. Weekly.

There’s the hen, and there’s the chicken. Which ones ####### the rooster? Somethings missing!

BTW Jim Chones is missing from the 70s Centers 

I wasn't around for the 60's judging -- quick question:

There were compliments to BL's judging comments -- are comments/rationale required from each of the judges -or- simply list the 1-16 rankings?

I'll PM to YoMama shortly (depending to the answer to the above question).

There were compliments to BL's judging comments -- are comments/rationale required from each of the judges -or- simply list the 1-16 rankings?

no comments required.

I just sent him ranks so I assume that is fine

No comments needed. Some people are giving me commentary and they can release those to the public if they want. Most just send me the rankings. 

I’m really impressed with our judging participation so far - 10 judges for the 60s and 11 for the 70s (barring any last second submissions). 

I’m cranking out the numbers during lunch and should start rolling out the results in about an hour. 

I’m really impressed with our judging participation so far - 10 judges for the 60s and 11 for the 70s (barring any last second submissions). 

I’m cranking out the numbers during lunch and should start rolling out the results in about an hour. 
Gonna shoot you some quick blurbs on my rankings.

Counting the ABA, I count 13 MVP's in this era...7 of them at center.
That’s one thing I need to figure out- how do I value ABA vs NBA. I need to research but my initial feeling is ABA isn’t worth nearly as much. 
Saw this over the weekend but didn’t get a chance to comment. Early MVPs of the ABA - Connie Hawkins could ball and proved it in both leagues. Mel Daniels was a major talent. Young Artis was transcendent, great shot blocker. Doc won 3 (one shared.) Thing is, if you go to the B-R MVP page, click on the voting for a year, you can then scroll through and look at all 9 seasons side by side with the NBA MVP voting. There were a couple debatable selections for the NBA 1967-76 and I’d love to know which ABAers should be discounted.

In 1976-77, first season post merger, 10 out of 24 at the ASG were ABA alumni, 4/10 All-NBA 1st & 2nd Team, 3/10 All-Defensive. I did not shift any ABA players down. Less defense and not as high of quality at the end of the bench? I’ll grant that. Was still a league full of stars and they had a fun (if unprofitable) brand. Too bad more people didn’t see it due to the lack of a big time tv contract.

1970s Rankings

Judging

I took all the rankings provided to me (11 total judges) and averaged all the scores for an overall ranking.  Ties will be broken based on which team had the most judges ranking it higher (no ties this time).

There were some fairly distinct tiers with a mixture of team approaches – from targeting the greats of the game to punting and scooping up ABA players later on.  There didn’t seem to be quite as much variability as the rankings as in the 60s, but we still had some fairly wide differences of opinion – partially due to how to fold in the ABA players and partially due to roster construction and longevity (a few teams in particular had some really wide ranges).

On to the rankings. . .

1970s Rankings, continued

VIRGINIA SQUIRES DIVISION

This franchise had some decent early ABA success on the court with greats such as Julius Erving, George Gervin, and Rick Barry (for a short time when he was fighting with the Warriors of the NBA).  They even parlayed one season with Barry to win the ABA championship as the Oakland Oaks (with part-owner Pat Boone), but they couldn’t gain traction on any large amount of fans since the Warriors were a bigger draw so they moved to Washington.  Because ABA/NBA merger discussions were already starting at that time, the other ABA owners convinced the Capitols to move to Virginia because the Bullets wanted to move to Washington and this was seen as an impediment to the merger at the time.  They made the playoffs the first few years in Washington and Virginia and even won a few playoff rounds because the Squires added some great young talent in Erving and Gervin.

Playoff success and an ABA championship along with some of the all-time greats.  So why are the Squires my team for the worst division in the rankings?  They were horrible failures off the court and fell apart in epic fashion.  Barry, Erving and Gervin were all traded for cash since the new owner was bogged down by financial troubles (the Tellman Fertita of the ABA).  After selling off their top talent, the Squires’ last two seasons were the worst in ABA history – going 15-69 in 1974-75 and 15-68 in 1975-76.  Their failures also weren’t just contained on the court, as a player actually sued the team after his paychecks bounced.  Their last season, the Squires had 5 different head coaches.  One final epic failure for the franchise happened when they folded just one month after the end of the season in 1976 – which happened to be just one month before the ABA/NBA merger, so they weren’t able to receive any of the compensation as a part of the merger.  Oof.

The teams in this tier mainly punted drafting their 70s squad until the later rounds and those efforts definitely paid off.

16th place - 1 point

Instinctive  - Mack Calvin, Donnie Freeman, Ron Boone, Bob Netolicky, Billy Paultz

Average Score: 2.55   Best: 8   Worst: 1

15th place - 2 points

Mister CIA  - Fred Carter, Brian Winters, Junior Bridgeman, Bob Love, Caldwell Jones

Average Score: 2.82   Best: 8   Worst: 1

14th place - 3 points

Scoobus  - Freddie Lewis, Jeff Mullins, Jack Marin, Rudy Tomjanovich, Bob Rule

Average Score: 3.09   Best: 5   Worst: 1

This franchise had some decent early ABA success on the court with greats such as Julius Erving, George Gervin, and Rick Barry (for a short time when he was fighting with the Warriors of the NBA).  They even parlayed one season with Barry to win the ABA championship as the Oakland Oaks (with part-owner Pat Boone), but they couldn’t gain traction on any large amount of fans since the Warriors were a bigger draw so they moved to Washington.  Because ABA/NBA merger discussions were already starting at that time, the other ABA owners convinced the Capitols to move to Virginia because the Bullets wanted to move to Washington and this was seen as an impediment to the merger at the time.  They made the playoffs the first few years in Washington and Virginia and even won a few playoff rounds because the Squires added some great young talent in Erving and Gervin.

Playoff success and an ABA championship along with some of the all-time greats.  So why are the Squires my team for the worst division in the rankings?  They were horrible failures off the court and fell apart in epic fashion.  Barry, Erving and Gervin were all traded for cash since the new owner was bogged down by financial troubles (the Tellman Fertita of the ABA).  After selling off their top talent, the Squires’ last two seasons were the worst in ABA history – going 15-69 in 1974-75 and 15-68 in 1975-76.  Their failures also weren’t just contained on the court, as a player actually sued the team after his paychecks bounced.  Their last season, the Squires had 5 different head coaches.  One final epic failure for the franchise happened when they folded just one month after the end of the season in 1976 – which happened to be just one month before the ABA/NBA merger, so they weren’t able to receive any of the compensation as a part of the merger.  Oof.

The teams in this tier mainly punted drafting their 70s squad until the later rounds and those efforts definitely paid off.

16th place - 1 point

Instinctive  - Mack Calvin, Donnie Freeman, Ron Boone, Bob Netolicky, Billy Paultz

15th place - 2 points

Mister CIA  - Fred Carter, Brian Winters, Junior Bridgeman, Bob Love, Caldwell Jones

14th place - 3 points

I had the same bottom 3, but a different order.

BUFFALO BRAVES / SAN DIEGO CLIPPERS DIVISION

Ah, those somewhat loveable losers Clippers (sorry EYLive).  The start to this franchise is the first time it will be used as an example of bad teams, but you can sure bet it won’t be last.  The Buffalo Braves had some decent success for a while, but they could never gain any great foothold with the fans because they shared their arena with the Buffalo Sabres of the NHL and also with the Canisius Golden Griffins men’s basketball team.  The Griffins in particular had a longer-standing lease with the arena and had priority scheduling, so the Braves never had any prime game slots and couldn’t draw much attendance (seems like a theme for the later era Clippers too, right EY).  The team was sold and the new owner decimated the roster to get so bad they were allowed out of their arena lease so they could move.  The new owner swapped franchises with the owner of the Celtics in 1978, who moved the team to San Diego and renamed the franchise as the Clippers.  So basically (for all you guys who say the Lakers can’t count the Minneapolis titles), the Clippers should count all of the 60s-70s titles from the original Celtics (13), and the new-Celtics should only count the titles post-1978 (4).  Anyway, the Braves/Clippers had a winning percentage of only 41%, the worst of any NBA team that was in the league for the whole decade.

The teams in this tier had one or two excellent players, but weren’t deep enough to compete with the more well rounded teams and great players of the era.

13th place - 4 points

Modogg  - Slick Watts, Geoff Petrie, Connie Hawkins, Mickey Johnson, Alvan Adams

Average Score: 4.64   Best: 8   Worst: 2

12th place - 5 points

Ilov80s  - Archie Clark, Randy Smith, Scott Wedman, Larry Kenon, Bob McAdoo

Average Score: 5.91   Best: 9   Worst: 2

11th place - 6 points

Frosty  - Jimmy Jones, Warren Jabali, Pete Maravich, Red Robbins, Mel Daniels

Average Score: 6.00   Best: 10   Worst: 1

10th place - 7 points

Doug B  - Kevin Porter, Austin Carr, Billy Cunningham, George McGinnis, Elmore Smith

Average Score: 6.45   Best: 11   Worst: 4

16th place - 1 point

15th place - 2 points

14th place - 3 points

My Link

I’ve got a meeting from 2-3. Debating if I try to cram everything in before then, or slow play it for more suspense and release the top couple tiers afterward. 

16th place - 1 point

15th place - 2 points

14th place - 3 points

I had these 16th, 15th and 13th.

INDIANA PACERS DIVISION

The dynasty of the ABA.  In the nine years of the ABA, the Pacers went to the finals five times and won the championship three times.  For some reason they were in the Western Division some years and the Eastern Division other years, but I decided not to try to decode that mystery.  Superstars on the team were headlined by George McGinnins, Mel Daniels, and a number of others.  The Pacers had a rough few years in the NBA post-merger, but their ABA dominance was worthy of our middle tier.

This tier had some excellent teams with great players on them and all were well constructed team wise, but just didn’t quite have enough to break into the top two tiers in the eyes of our judges.

9th place - 8 points

Timschochet  - Walt Frazier, Louie Dampier, Willie Wise, Maurice Lucas, Darryl Dawkins

Average Score: 8.91   Best: 12   Worst: 6

8th place - 9 points

Wikkidpissah  - Calvin Murphy, Charlie Scott, Cazzie Russell, Marvin Barnes, Dave Cowens

Average Score: 9.00   Best: 14   Worst: 4

7th place - 10 points

Gally - Dave Bing, Doug Collins, Bob Dandridge, Sidney Wicks, Dan Issel

Average Score: 9.82   Best: 15   Worst: 6

BUFFALO BRAVES / SAN DIEGO CLIPPERS DIVISION

Ah, those somewhat loveable losers Clippers (sorry EYLive).  The start to this franchise is the first time it will be used as an example of bad teams, but you can sure bet it won’t be last.  The Buffalo Braves had some decent success for a while, but they could never gain any great foothold with the fans because they shared their arena with the Buffalo Sabres of the NHL and also with the Canisius Golden Griffins men’s basketball team.  The Griffins in particular had a longer-standing lease with the arena and had priority scheduling, so the Braves never had any prime game slots and couldn’t draw much attendance (seems like a theme for the later era Clippers too, right EY).  The team was sold and the new owner decimated the roster to get so bad they were allowed out of their arena lease so they could move.  The new owner swapped franchises with the owner of the Celtics in 1978, who moved the team to San Diego and renamed the franchise as the Clippers.  So basically (for all you guys who say the Lakers can’t count the Minneapolis titles), the Clippers should count all of the 60s-70s titles from the original Celtics (13), and the new-Celtics should only count the titles post-1978 (4).  Anyway, the Braves/Clippers had a winning percentage of only 41%, the worst of any NBA team that was in the league for the whole decade.

The teams in this tier had one or two excellent players, but weren’t deep enough to compete with the more well rounded teams and great players of the era.

13th place - 4 points

Modogg  - Slick Watts, Geoff Petrie, Connie Hawkins, Mickey Johnson, Alvan Adams

Average Score: 4.64   Best: 8   Worst: 2

12th place - 5 points

Ilov80s  - Archie Clark, Randy Smith, Scott Wedman, Larry Kenon, Bob McAdoo

Average Score: 5.91   Best: 9   Worst: 2

11th place - 6 points

Frosty  - Jimmy Jones, Warren Jabali, Pete Maravich, Red Robbins, Mel Daniels

Average Score: 6.00   Best: 10   Worst: 1

10th place - 7 points

Doug B  - Kevin Porter, Austin Carr, Billy Cunningham, George McGinnis, Elmore Smith

Average Score: 6.45   Best: 11   Worst: 4
14th, 8th, 11.5 and 11.5

INDIANA PACERS DIVISION

The dynasty of the ABA.  In the nine years of the ABA, the Pacers went to the finals five times and won the championship three times.  For some reason they were in the Western Division some years and the Eastern Division other years, but I decided not to try to decode that mystery.  Superstars on the team were headlined by George McGinnins, Mel Daniels, and a number of others.  The Pacers had a rough few years in the NBA post-merger, but their ABA dominance was worthy of our middle tier.

This tier had some excellent teams with great players on them and all were well constructed team wise, but just didn’t quite have enough to break into the top two tiers in the eyes of our judges.

9th place - 8 points

Timschochet  - Walt Frazier, Louie Dampier, Willie Wise, Maurice Lucas, Darryl Dawkins

Average Score: 8.91   Best: 12   Worst: 6

8th place - 9 points

Wikkidpissah  - Calvin Murphy, Charlie Scott, Cazzie Russell, Marvin Barnes, Dave Cowens

Average Score: 9.00   Best: 14   Worst: 4

7th place - 10 points

10th, 6.5th, 5th.

Looks like I was a little more down on @Kev4029 than most.

I just couldn't give Walton a ton of credit for only 1.5 peak seasons....there were too many great centers to give his injury history a pass.  If he was up against the dumpster fire of the 80's centers, he'd have faired much better, but when you can't count on a guy night in and night out, it matters.  Even during his "healthy" years, he barely played over 50 games/season. 

The first great ability is availability.  No show, do dough.

I just couldn't give Walton a ton of credit for only 1.5 peak seasons....there were too many great centers to give his injury history a pass.  If he was up against the dumpster fire of the 80's centers, he'd have faired much better, but when you can't count on a guy night in and night out, it matters.  Even during his "healthy" years, he barely played over 50 games/season. 

I had him 9th.  The above and Kermit Washington really isn't that good.

I had my team 9th. Figure I got kind of the worst possible outcome from that. Though having an MVP might be enough to get me a little more boost. I guess I needed a better 2nd player attached to Mac. 
you were at the bottom of a close tier...

GALLY112

WIKKIDPISSAH111

TRADER JOE111

ILOV80'S107

I'm curious to see the variability of scoring on my team. I think that at their peak, Walton/Westphal/Thompson are the best 3-man team of the draft, they were just rarely at their peak, especially Walton.

INDIANA PACERS DIVISION

7th place - 10 points

And that wasn't even my ranking (the bolded 15 pt team).  I had me at 8th so right in the ballpark.   So far (just like everyone else) i have every team listed within a couple of where they ended up so far.  Top tiers still intact..

Thanks whoever put this squad as a 15 pointer....

Last edited by a moderator:
Combination of Pistol at small forward and Jabali slept with your girlfriend?  Just admit it.

Pistol still gets to run up and down the same regulation size basketball court and shoot on a 10 ft rim even if he is a SF.  He never played much defense regardless of his position.
even tho i paid little attention to the ABA til the mid-70s, i remembered all 5 of Instinctive's team and admired the courage of his afflictions. i didnt remember some of Frosty's, and i trust that. and re-positioning Pistol Pete (whom i drafted here a decade ago) to make room for 2 of em was egregious.

And that wasn't even my ranking (the bolded 15 pt team).  I had me at 8th so right in the ballpark.   So far (just like everyone else) i have every team listed within a couple of where they ended up so far.  Top tiers still intact..

Thanks whoever put this squad as a 15 pointer....
I had you at 11. My picks were really close to what we have so far as well so I feel good about my process. 

Users who are viewing this thread