Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Need spring break suggestions for kid with broken leg. Eta: Disney it is.


Recommended Posts

My daughter broke her leg pretty badly a couple of weeks ago doing "home gymnastics".  It was bad enough to need 3 screws and 2 nights in the hospital.  Obviously, she is very mobility-limited.  It's me, my wife, and 2 daughters, 12 (broken leg)  & 14.

 

Spring break is coming soon and we have a bit of cabin fever after covid.  We need to go somewhere and do something, having a hard time figuring out what to do.

We are located in the southeast, and prefer to drive but short direct flights are doable.

In the past we have gone to the beach or rented a cabin in the mountains...neither sound fun if you are on crutches - mountain biking, hiking, rafting...can't do any of that.  Beach & sand on crutches sounds awful.  Maybe we could do that for a day, max.

Disney is doable but spendy and we have done that a ton already.

I think what we would like is a nice hotel in a cool spot that has a decent pool.  She isn't in a cast and swimming would be a good low-impact exercise so laying out by the pool works.  The Disney hotels are great for that - wife & I can enjoy poolside beer and the girls can go do their thing.  It's especially great with activities for the kids and other kids our girls can hang with (they are both very social).

Any suggestions of things to do besides Disney, and/or great resorts outside of Disney?

Edited by moleculo
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, moleculo said:

My daughter broke her leg pretty badly a couple of weeks ago doing "home gymnastics".  It was bad enough to need 3 screws and 2 nights in the hospital.  Obviously, she is very mobility-limited.  It's me, my wife, and 2 daughters, 12 (broken leg)  & 14.

 

Spring break is coming soon and we have a bit of cabin fever after covid.  We need to go somewhere and do something, having a hard time figuring out what to do.

We are located in the southeast, and prefer to drive but short direct flights are doable.

In the past we have gone to the beach or rented a cabin in the mountains...neither sound fun if you are on crutches - mountain biking, hiking, rafting...can't do any of that.  Beach & sand on crutches sounds awful.  Maybe we could do that for a day, max.

Disney is doable but spendy and we have done that a ton already.

I think what we would like is a nice hotel in a cool spot that has a decent pool.  She isn't in a cast and swimming would be a good low-impact exercise so laying out by the pool works.  The Disney hotels are great for that - wife & I can enjoy poolside beer and the girls can go do their thing.  It's especially great with activities for the kids and other kids our girls can hang with (they are both very social).

Any suggestions of things to do besides Disney, and/or great resorts outside of Disney?

The Bahamas are dying for business right now. Lots of places over there that fit the bill, great deals now, and a very short flight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

The Bahamas are dying for business right now. Lots of places over there that fit the bill, great deals now, and a very short flight.

Unfortunately, no passports for the kids.

Eta: good suggestion though.  There may be time to get passports.

Edited by moleculo
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, moleculo said:

Unfortunately, no passports for the kids.

Eta: good suggestion though.  There may be time to get passports.

Puerto Rico it is. 
 

go to Culebra or Vieques. Both have pros and cons. For you, I’d recommend Vieques. Culebra is centered on one beaxh (as amazing as it is!) while Vieques has more variety 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wilked said:

Puerto Rico it is. 
 

go to Culebra or Vieques. Both have pros and cons. For you, I’d recommend Vieques. Culebra is centered on one beaxh (as amazing as it is!) while Vieques has more variety 

Got a particular resort in mind?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a dog. When my son broke his leg a few years ago, we had just happened to have brought a black Lab puppy into the family. That dog has become the best trained dog due to all the time/work my son put into him.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, moleculo said:

Got a particular resort in mind?

I do Airbnb. Give me some dates and I will recommend. 
 

otherwise we like Blok as well (stayed there once, nice time 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Atomic Punk said:

Get a dog. When my son broke his leg a few years ago, we had just happened to have brought a black Lab puppy into the family. That dog has become the best trained dog due to all the time/work my son put into him.

I am highly allergic to dogs.

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

For Vieques you need to rent a car, and you want to buy the puddle jumper flights to the island from the mainland. You also need neg tests for the fam. It is heaven over there. You’ll have a blast. If you choose it I can give you a ton of tips. First, look at the moon schedule. If it’s a new moon (ie not full) the bioluminescent tour is once in a lifetime. You don’t get wet so daughter can go also 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wilked said:

For Vieques you need to rent a car, and you want to buy the puddle jumper flights to the island from the mainland. You also need neg tests for the fam. It is heaven over there. You’ll have a blast. If you choose it I can give you a ton of tips. First, look at the moon schedule. If it’s a new moon (ie not full) the bioluminescent tour is once in a lifetime. You don’t get wet so daughter can go also 

Thanks.  Looking into it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wilked said:

Puerto Rico it is. 
 

go to Culebra or Vieques. Both have pros and cons. For you, I’d recommend Vieques. Culebra is centered on one beaxh (as amazing as it is!) while Vieques has more variety 

I was in PR a few weeks ago and mainlanders were not permitted on the ferry to Vieques. Or so I was told. You might be able to fly. Otherwise, something between La Concha and the Marriott in Condado is a great spot to park it for a few days. Just 15-20 mins from the airport.

You won't be able to get passports before then or my suggestion would definitely be Cancun/Playa/Tulum.

ETA: As of our trip, you do need negative test within 72 hours, but they will let you in if you have not received the results yet. I made sure we had our results upon arrival, but it is not required to get out of the airport. You are supposed to quarantine until the negative arrives, then you upload to their portal. They will still send texts every morning to see if you have any symptoms, but the quarantine is on the honor system. Your hotel may have it's own enforcement plan. We did have to provide our PR Health Dept profile info where we stayed.

Edited by Apple Jack
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Drunken knight said:

New Orleans?

many fun sites, historic, great food, and it shouldn’t  be too hard to avoid the adult attractions.

Feels like a lot of walking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Major said:

If you're limited by passports, etc and don't want to travel far, I'd recommend the Florida Keys. 

Yeah, that's a place I've been lobbying for.

My wife insists that the keys are too full of drunks (she's not wrong about that) and maybe not kid friendly.  

I think her focus is on resort style hotels - not my jam but probably easiest to do with a kid in crutches.  Haven't found the kind of hotel she is looking for there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, moleculo said:

Yeah, that's a place I've been lobbying for.

My wife insists that the keys are too full of drunks (she's not wrong about that) and maybe not kid friendly.  

I think her focus is on resort style hotels - not my jam but probably easiest to do with a kid in crutches.  Haven't found the kind of hotel she is looking for there.

I went there a while back with my family and really enjoyed it.  Very spread out and lots to do.  Not really dependent on the beach.  Sure you'll find drunks but that's not unique to the Keys and easy to avoid.    Key Largo is really laid back IIRC and a good stop on the way to Key West.  As for resorts, I can't really help you there.  Seemed like a lot of smaller hotels, BnB type scene.  

Edited by Major
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, moleculo said:

Yeah, that's a place I've been lobbying for.

My wife insists that the keys are too full of drunks (she's not wrong about that) and maybe not kid friendly.  

I think her focus is on resort style hotels - not my jam but probably easiest to do with a kid in crutches.  Haven't found the kind of hotel she is looking for there.

Contrary to popular belief, not many beaches in the Keys.  Or big resort hotels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

Contrary to popular belief, not many beaches in the Keys.  Or big resort hotels.

:goodposting:. I would say Key West is full of more drunks than the rest of the keys fwiw.

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the keys fairly well, I used to live in south FL.  Definitely want to take the kids there sometime.  It is full of drunks but I'm ok with that.

This isn't the time for that.  Duvall St = walking and/or mopeds.  Snorkeling/jet skiing isn't a great idea with a broken leg.  

No, this trip needs to be something easily accessible for a kid with a broken leg.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are going to do Disney.  I know they will go out of their way to accommodate handicapped folks.  Will probably get a wheelchair and push her around.

We've done Disney many times over the years - always a good experience.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, moleculo said:

We are going to do Disney.  I know they will go out of their way to accommodate handicapped folks.  Will probably get a wheelchair and push her around.

We've done Disney many times over the years - always a good experience.

Enjoy the heat and the crowds. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Enjoy the heat and the crowds. 

Early April isn't bad.  We went once for spring break a few years ago and it was too cold for water parks.

Crowd wise - could go either way.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, wilked said:

For Vieques you need to rent a car, and you want to buy the puddle jumper flights to the island from the mainland. You also need neg tests for the fam. It is heaven over there. You’ll have a blast. If you choose it I can give you a ton of tips. First, look at the moon schedule. If it’s a new moon (ie not full) the bioluminescent tour is once in a lifetime. You don’t get wet so daughter can go also 

Btw, PR is def on our short list of places we'd like to go...maybe this summer.  My wife is Puerto Rican but born in FL and has never been there.  I think she has some distant relatives there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • moleculo changed the title to Need spring break suggestions for kid with broken leg. Eta: Disney it is.
5 minutes ago, moleculo said:

Btw, PR is def on our short list of places we'd like to go...maybe this summer.  My wife is Puerto Rican but born in FL and has never been there.  I think she has some distant relatives there.

Does she sound like Rosie Perez?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moleculo said:

Early April isn't bad.  We went once for spring break a few years ago and it was too cold for water parks.

Crowd wise - could go either way.  

It’s in the high 80s now. Not gonna be a lot of cool weeks moving forward. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 2/27/2021 at 11:56 AM, Ron Swanson said:

Vieques or Culebra are great options with no passport.

I think molecule asked but are there any all-inclusive type resorts down there or is AirBnB a better option?  We are looking at later in May or June if that matters.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...