What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Derek Chauvin trial. Murder of George Floyd. Convictions now appealed. (2 Viewers)

There is a time and a place for it, and this is probably the wrong time and place to be covering another news anchors' masturbatory habits and #metoo'ing him on the news. Sort of a sliding scale of priorities would dictate that this story would be at the absolute bottom of all narrative constructs.

CNN are no angels when it comes to narrative, Fox's aside about that today is awful. That's my opinion.
Agree.  Very bad form by Fox.  Disrespectful.  And Greg Gutfeld just made a statement on Fox that may get him fired.  You’ll be seeing it over and over the next few days.

I think very few if any truely defended that.   The overwhelming majority has stated they don’t support looting or violent protest.

So yeah. Nothing wring with me and please try keeping it civil
There were specific quotes from at least three people in favor of it. We found them at your behest, and you're still caterwauling to the contrary. Accept it and own it. It's personal because you keep obtusely making it that way about "your side." Get over it. There are people on your side that defended it. On this very board.

Great outcome.  Pleasantly surprised.
I think it was just. Nothing pleasant about it, really, though. Don't mean to scold, just my own personal opinion. I'm surprised people can't see the utter potential for disaster that was averted here, but aren't less sanguine that in future cases that are more controversial and with less evidence that threats of riots and burning don't become the standard.

urbanhack said:
Great take.  You are pathetic.
I think he's guilty of being premature, is all.

Cowboysfan8 is my boy. If he falls out of the range of acceptable outcomes from internet musings, I'm personally willing to cut slack and give a listen as to why. Lots of us would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
NBC saying Biden will speak tonight and call for peaceful protests.  What the hell are they protesting about today’s verdict?
I'm really not sure what makes me more disheartened.  The fact that a large percentage of people will be celebrating that the system worked because it is actually broken or that a large percentage of people will be celebrating that the system worked because they perceive it to be broken.   Either option is frightening.  

So out of curiousity.... 

What is the acceptable amount of arson, vandalism, burglary, and grand theft tonight before it crosses from "celebrating" into "criminal riots"?  

Sounds loaded but is an honest question of those in here who have defended previous riots/burning/looting. 

ETA: I haven't been following the case too closely so I accept the jury's verdict as fair assessment and distribution of justice :thumbup:  
How many people NOT committing arson, vandalism, burglary, and grand theft tonight will it take for you to say that you were wrong and unfairly made assumptions?

How many people NOT committing arson, vandalism, burglary, and grand theft tonight will it take for you to say that you were wrong and unfairly made assumptions?
How many good cops are grouped in with Chauvin because they are a cop?  Sorry but guilty by association.

Those who are familiar with this stuff, what kind of sentence is he looking at here?
Not my area, but:

Dressed in a gray suit, Chauvin eyes darted left as the judge announced that he was convicted of second- and third-degree murder, as well as second-degree manslaughter. He faces up to 75 years in prison when he returns for sentencing in eight weeks.

Second-degree murder carries a maximum sentence of 40 years.
Third-degree murder carries a maximum sentence of 25 years.
Second-degree manslaughter is punishable by up to 10 years.

He also tried to plea to 3rd degree murder on federal charges, and serve 10+ years.

Even if the judge gave him the max - the sentences would run concurrently - so 40 is the max.

Un-educated guess - he gets 20 years.

This is the best case scenario. We al watched the video and I think everyone that has a heart, even the most racist of racists saw that video and cringed. It was awful. 

Im happy because I believe he got his day in court and justice was served. 

The guy says he would send somebody to jail even if he didn’t think he was guilty and you want me to get help???
It's probably awfully easy to say something like you said when you're not under the pressure these people were under. That people can be honest with themselves about their own mortality and position is something that the system needs to address, not necessarily an indictment about his moral failings as a man. But perhaps it's because I'm disposed to like TakiToki as a poster that I feel this way.

What I'm really trying to say is that it's easy to see one's self as honorable under any conditions when only words are at stake. Honest assessments in that regard are hard to come by. Not saying you wouldn't be fine with any conditions, but perhaps introspection and understanding our own potential frailties is what everyone is getting at, STEADY.

Least surprising thing ever in my opinion.  I run in some pretty Conservative circles and it’s been  universal disgust at this killing.  
Watching this from afar agreed. This seemed very likely. Fellow cops were telling the jury he’s guilty. 

It's probably awfully easy to say something like you said when you're not under the pressure these people were under. That people can be honest with themselves about their own mortality and position is something that the system needs to address, not necessarily indictment about his moral failings as a man. But perhaps it's because I'm disposed to like TakiToki as a poster that I feel this way.

What I'm really trying to say is that it's easy to see one's self as honorable under any conditions when only words are at stake. Honest assessments in that regard are hard to come by. Not saying you wouldn't be fine with any conditions, but perhaps introspection and understanding our own potential frailties is what everyone is getting at, STEADY.
I understand why he did it but imo that makes it worse. Unforgivable. 

Not my area, but:

Dressed in a gray suit, Chauvin eyes darted left as the judge announced that he was convicted of second- and third-degree murder, as well as second-degree manslaughter. He faces up to 75 years in prison when he returns for sentencing in eight weeks.

He also tried to plea to 3rd degree murder on federal charges, and serve 10+ years.

Even if the judge gave him the max - the sentences would run concurrently - so 40 is the max.

Can he really be convicted of all three when the factual circumstances are the same?  Is there a valid appeal issue here?

This is the best case scenario. We al watched the video and I think everyone that has a heart, even the most racist of racists saw that video and cringed. It was awful. 
Broad daylight, face down, cuffed, with four cops holding him down, for nine minutes, with a group of passersby literally telling the cops they were killing him.

It's still kind of a sad statement that we couldn't be 100% sure he would be convicted for murder so plain, so there's definitely some level of relief.

Can he really be convicted of all three when the factual circumstances are the same?  Is there a valid appeal issue here?
He’s got several reasons for a appeal. That crooked congresswoman’s words alone. 

I hope he doesn’t get an appeal given he’s guilty on all three so convincingly. 

I understand why he did it but imo that makes it worse. Unforgivable. 
TakiToki didn't do anything, though. It was a hypothetical posed to him. He was just predicting and projecting what he would do. He was projecting his own moral failing, one presumes. It was an honest moment.

My take on this, more broadly, is that justice was served today. A man is still dead over passing a bad twenty and the attendant reaction to it. I can't be happy one bit about it. The system worked like we've painstakingly hoped it would -- we have lost many lives to ensure it would function that way; that our way of life was upheld and that the state is accountable for its actions. To me, it's a sobering moment and a time for reflection more than immediate gratification or condemnation of certain abstract concepts.

Not my area, but:

Thanks.  I would say 20 years sounds about right.  I'm one who thinks we sentence people way too long in this country..

Very easy for you to say when you're not in that position. Or did you not here about witnesses for the defense being harassed. 
again, what do you think people have to face in actual criminal trials where they are threatened with murder?  

It's how people need to function if the system is going to work.

You can be too scared but again thankfully most people aren't like you

Users who are viewing this thread