What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Derek Chauvin trial. Murder of George Floyd. Convictions now appealed. (1 Viewer)

Ben Shapiro can’t credibly broach this. Everyone has bias, but his is too heavy.  Marris loses credibility by even sitting down and talking with Shapiro about this.
It is easy to dismiss people and pointless.  It is more meaning to discuss the merits of the actual points raised.  Sure Shapiro is biased, but he is also intelligent. 

Direct Headline: INSIGHT: Defense Counsel’s Role in Democracy—Representing Those Accused of Heinous Crimes

Defense attorneys perform a vital job of protecting the rights of the accused, regardless of how heinous the allegations might be. Jeffrey S. Leon, president of the American College of Trial Lawyers, says this role is critically important to a free and democratic society and in upholding the rule of law.

Jeffrey S. Leon July 2, 2019, 1:01 AM

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/business-and-practice/insight-defense-counsels-role-in-democracy-representing-those-accused-of-heinous-crimes

How would you feel if your daughters were accused of a very public and controversial crime and our society and laws had shifted to the point where there was no safe way for them to have a criminal legal defense at all?

And before you get indignant, you splatter details of your personal life all over these forums all the time. Don't talk about things in public you aren't willing to have be public discussion in general.

I actually don't mind brutal punishments, but I do mind the absolute terror that comes with a society that offers zero legal defense for anyone period. Especially if they are also accused of "wrong think" against the majority.

Take a Soma pill and get some rope and find a tall tree. Is this your answer?

I actually am OK with ropes and tall trees provided there's actually a functional trial first. Treat the guilty as guilty, but when they are actually found guilty, and NOT before then.

Your political views don't trouble me Tim. What bothers me is you are willing to treat others in a manner you would not wish to be treated yourself. It actually makes you the most dangerous kind of person possible to be around because there is nothing more savage than a man without a code.

Another issue is you don't actually understand the law. If it makes you feel better, after spending years reviewing over the mostly menagerie of woe that is the unlimited gaggle of "Proud to wave my law degree around like I'm Little Carmine Lupertazzi" club here at FBG, you aren't alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJggSqCftgA

A pint of blood does cost more than a gallon of gold....
Oof. 

It is easy to dismiss people and pointless.  It is more meaning to discuss the merits of the actual points raised.  Sure Shapiro is biased, but he is also intelligent. 
He also has a law degree, Harvard I think?  So he knows more about the law than most of the MSM social justice activists.

On his podcast yesterday he reported that the prosecution had a good day Thursday and in his opinion went a long way towards undoing the reasonable doubt the defense had effectively raised in prior days.  Yes he is conservative and biased, but if you listen to him, his bias is more about the MSM misrepresenting the trial and making it seem like the prosecution is a slam dunk (when the defense has eviscerated several prosecution witnesses and points), setting the country up for a bunch of riots which both help their ratings and push their woke narratives.

But, Shapiro pushes unwoke messages and the MSM tells people he is evil and mean, so many people just draw that conclusion.

Defense has a expert witness up now that is stating that Floyd did NOT die of asphyxia. 
If this expert is credible, the prosecution cannot make their case, IMO.

Defense has a expert witness up now that is stating that Floyd did NOT die of asphyxia. 
I don't think the prosecution needs to worry unless the defense puts up 9 police officers to say Chauvin acted appropriately. And they need to be more reliable than the Police Chief, Chauvin's direct supervisor, and a field training officer.

Part of his argument is that carbon monoxide poisoning was a contributing factor.

Only problem with that, even if true, is that Chauvin was kneeling on him and holding him in place right at the exhaust pipe of the police car. 

Part of his argument is that carbon monoxide poisoning was a contributing factor.

Only problem with that, even if true, is that Chauvin was kneeling on him and holding him in place right at the exhaust pipe of the police car. 
Do we even know if the vehicle was on?  Did the doctor know?

Was there CO in his blood?
Never tested, so we don't know.
Unsure if that's better for the D or the P.

EDIT: The defense is putting forth the theory that the prosecution didn't test for any other contributory factors, therefore the jury has to take into account what could have been. The prosecution is stating that the jury should trust their eyes, which is what is shown on the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was a cop car then they always leave them on.
This sounds like an assumption...easy to figure out the actual answer to the question. :shrug:

I was just wondering. If it was on, at best, its a contributing factor introduced by the cop. That cant be good for him. 

This sounds like an assumption...easy to figure out the actual answer to the question. :shrug:

I was just wondering. If it was on, at best, its a contributing factor introduced by the cop. That cant be good for him. 
Well, the jurors have to be paying attention:

I also love these two descriptions from the pool report: “Juror 13, per usual, seems to have fallen asleep a few times.” And: “When break is called approx. 10:50 they seem relieved.”

If they accept that theory it is not a “problem” in the context of reasonable outcomes for Chauvin, as he could only be convicted of manslaughter. 

Derek Chauvin will not take the stand - invoking the 5th.

State wanting to introduce new evidence regarding carbon monoxide levels in GFs blood. Denied by Judge Cahill.

Defense rests. Jury sequestration starts Monday. Cahill instructs the jurors to pack "for long but hope for short" deliberations.

So it would be ok if a witness for the defense still lived there?  The WORST part about this story is that he doesn't?  Wow.

This is totally like when my dad said the worst part of being stuck in the hospital was the food. And I was like really?!?! So that tube in your urethra is totally fine???

Oh wait. I didnt say that because that would have been really dumb.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/vandals-target-barry-brodds-home-testimony-derek-chauvins/story%3fid=77149729

This is cancel culture. Literally. They are looking to intimidate or silence a key witness in a very public trial who's opinion/testimony they disagree with. So many people already have it in their minds that Chauvin is guilty. We have public officials calling for violence if the outcome doesn't go the way they expect. Not interpreted violence like "march to the Capitol". Actual violence. 

Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) to BLM protesters in Brooklyn Center, MN:

“[Protestors] got to stay on the street and get more active, more confrontational. They’ve got to know that we mean business.”

"We have to let people know that we're not going to be satisfied unless we have justice in these cases."

The country is going to burn when the verdict comes out regardless of the decision.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/vandals-target-barry-brodds-home-testimony-derek-chauvins/story%3fid=77149729

This is cancel culture. Literally. They are looking to intimidate or silence a key witness in a very public trial who's opinion/testimony they disagree with. So many people already have it in their minds that Chauvin is guilty. We have public officials calling for violence if the outcome doesn't go the way they expect. Not interpreted violence like "march to the Capitol". Actual violence. 

Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) to BLM protesters in Brooklyn Center, MN:

“[Protestors] got to stay on the street and get more active, more confrontational. They’ve got to know that we mean business.”

"We have to let people know that we're not going to be satisfied unless we have justice in these cases."

The country is going to burn when the verdict comes out regardless of the decision.
It will if he is not guilty...why do you think it will if he gets convicted? Youre not alone in this thinking, I see a lot of people saying it. I dont know. 

Celebration riot.
I agree with you, at least on the riot either way part. Much like East lansing when Mich St gets to the final four or doesn’t get to the final four, there will be a couch on fire somewhere. I don’t think a guilty verdict should be celebrated. The whole thing is an embarrassment to the country. I support the right to demonstrate, but you don’t need to break stuff. I really hope no “good guys” swoop in with weapons to “protect the city” either.

That's a very naive view. You know how this works. 
I don’t, Of course we’ve all seen some sports rioting/celebrations (though I don’t recall them ever involving looting) but I’ve never seen a political celebration, for an outcome that people wanted, turn into rioting, I can’t think of one, you’re welcome to offer an example. 

Why not? 
Cops have a long history of getting off scott free in these situations. If this one is convicted, why not celebrate justice prevailing and the changing times? 
Sure, I hope for accountability. I think he’s guilty. I don’t think we should have a parade any more than I think people should all take to the streets and light fires if the verdict goes the other way. Someone is guilty of a crime (possibly), someone is dead. 
If you mean celebrate in a different context I probably agree; justice being served should be  celebrated, but shouldn’t that be the case in any verdict?  I’m referring to actually being out in a group celebrating though. 

Sure, I hope for accountability. I think he’s guilty. I don’t think we should have a parade any more than I think people should all take to the streets and light fires if the verdict goes the other way. Someone is guilty of a crime (possibly), someone is dead. 
If you mean celebrate in a different context I probably agree; justice being served should be  celebrated, but shouldn’t that be the case in any verdict?  I’m referring to actually being out in a group celebrating though. 
I don’t think there would be anything wrong with loud, boisterous, peaceful celebration (or, in the event he is acquitted, with loud, boisterous, angry, peaceful protest.) 

Closing arguments end on, "George Floyd didn't die because his heart was too big, he died because Derek Chauvin's heart was too small."

I agree with you, at least on the riot either way part. Much like East lansing when Mich St gets to the final four or doesn’t get to the final four, there will be a couch on fire somewhere. I don’t think a guilty verdict should be celebrated. The whole thing is an embarrassment to the country. I support the right to demonstrate, but you don’t need to break stuff. I really hope no “good guys” swoop in with weapons to “protect the city” either.
Those couches have been safe lately.

I just hope people stay away from personal residences (and the people) of anyone involved in this case, regardless of what role they were in.

I don’t think there would be anything wrong with loud, boisterous, peaceful celebration (or, in the event he is acquitted, with loud, boisterous, angry, peaceful protest.) 
There is nothing to celebrate.

I would find that objectionable.  The entire story is a tragedy, on both an individual and institutional level.

And, I think there is nothing to justify a protest if he is acquitted.  (I know I am in the minority here).  We have a judicial system in place.  State has made its case, the defense has made his case.  The jury is best positioned to determine if the state met its burden.

I just hope people stay away from personal residences (and the people) of anyone involved in this case, regardless of what role they were in.
Guess you didn't hear about the former house of one of the defense witnesses that was vandalized over the weekend?

I would find that objectionable.  The entire story is a tragedy, on both an individual and institutional level.

And, I think there is nothing to justify a protest if he is acquitted.  (I know I am in the minority here).  We have a judicial system in place.  State has made its case, the defense has made his case.  The jury is best positioned to determine if the state met its burden.
100%.

I was thinking to myself a week or so ago "do I want Chauvin convicted".  I can't say yes.  I want justice.  I want the judge and jury to decide that.  When they do, justice is done, I won't celebrate a conviction because it was a terrible event including for Chauvin (thats not sympathy...thats just not celebrating in someone elses demise).

I'm not going to let my fear of hoodlums destroying property and harming/killing other citizens bully me into celebrating something like this or praying for anything other than justice.

I'm not going to let my fear of hoodlums destroying property and harming/killing other citizens bully me into celebrating something like this or praying for anything other than justice.
You know, I've been guilty of letting hoodlums determine how I feel about the trial. He's presumed innocent until proven otherwise by a reasonable doubt. I think the problem is that we know that a particular subset of people aren't willing to accept the jury's verdict and that it will only reinforce, in their minds, that the system is corrupt and racist.

That's where the problem with the ideological underpinnings of this new wave of civil rights protests has been. It's purely results-oriented, and there is no room for doubt about amorphous or nuanced things like this trial.

I have never celebrated nor wanted to riot about any verdict.  OJ?  Well jury went on the evidence.  Did OJ kill his wife?  Yes but he was aquitted.

Do I think Chauvin should get convicted?  Yes..of what that is up to the jury.  If he gets aquitted will there be riots?  Yes..if he gets manslaughter will there be riots?  Yes..if he get convicted of second degree murder there still might be some type of riots who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread