What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mass Shootings Thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never replied to you so not sure why you think so.  I never once claimed this was not one.   And I don't live too far from where this took place.

This shouldnt be lumped together with other mass shootings is my point

4 injured in Illinois shooting

Just 35 miles south of Chicago, violence erupted at a private event in Park Forest, Illinois, early Sunday morning, according to police.

Police responded to a celebration event at a theater shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday morning, according to a Park Forest Police Department news release. The initial investigation into the shooting indicates a physical altercation took place inside the business and the shooting took place shortly after.
Why?  Because multiple people were only injured and not dead?   If they died of their injuries today would it then become a mass shooting?   I really don't understand the reasoning of the distinction you're trying to make here.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would ended up exactly the same if these clowns had bats and knives or Sarin or suitcase nukes.  No difference in outcome.  A murderer is gonna murder.
IDK, a lot of these people are cowards, that is why they use the guns.  

FTR, Chicago with 55 shootings, 12 dead this past weekend.  Lower than I expected as the weather was warm.

FTR, Chicago with 55 shootings, 12 dead this past weekend.  Lower than I expected as the weather was warm.
thing is it gets a fleeting burb as news, but it happens so often that it gets washed away with the laundry.  but a white guy shoots a black guy, well katy bar the door!

we got full bore RACISM.  it's the magic moment to sell news.

Why?  Because multiple people were only injured and not dead?   If they died of their injuries today would it then become a mass shooting?   I really don't understand reasoning of the distinction you're trying to make here.
No the snippet I posted was part of the news cycle saying 4 mass shootings this weekend!!!!!.    When this one there was a fight inside, and 4 people were injured.    It's not the same as a Parkland type shooting :shrug: but that's how it's portrayed and I don't agree 

And ftr I'm all for a second amendment overhaul and don't agree with pernitless carry

The lack of outrage for Chicago is telling.  "Mass Shootings" every weekend and yet.....crickets.  I wonder why?
Really, you wonder why Joe American might be a little more focused on one type vs the other? (despite it being less frequent)

It's not like you bring it up every day besides to play some "gotcha" about Chicago gang shootings.  

Both suck, both are sad, meaningless loss of life.  But they have completely different solutions and predictability.  

How important is the inner city shootings to you as far as your focus and voting habits? 

No the snippet I posted was part of the news cycle saying 4 mass shootings this weekend!!!!!.    When this one there was a fight inside, and 4 people were injured.    It's not the same as a Parkland type shooting :shrug: but that's how it's portrayed and I don't agree 

And ftr I'm all for a second amendment overhaul and don't agree with pernitless carry
they haven't confirmed anything about the NJ other than it was a "targeted shooting." The Columbus one was outside.  The Minnesota one was a shooting outside a club.  Not sure what you're referring to.

You gotta "belive"

So many questions.  Is he saying that if someone doesn't love you you should pull a gun on them?

Why is he stroking a tiny gun?

Why doesn't the NRA have spellcheck?

How is this even legal?   He's a sitting Senator.   He's not supposed to be a shill for the NRA.

they haven't confirmed anything about the NJ other than it was a "targeted shooting." The Columbus one was outside.  The Minnesota one was a shooting outside a club.  Not sure what you're referring to.
Again I never replied to you. I'm referring to the CNN article that lumped my snippet in with the rest.

I made a comment and you took it as a reply directly to you which I never did :shrug:

Investigating multiple crime scenes.  Reports of explosives at the site.  Bomb squad at the VTA center.   Shooter confirmed suicide after killing 8.   

:mellow:

Retired NYPD detective Pat Brosnan on Fox News with weird takeaway from the San Jose mass shooting:

"Once covid starts to lift, these cowardly shooters will come out exactly in tandem with the number of vaccinations. You can be sure they probably got vaccinated."

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1397582489980395522  (video clip at link)
So is the retired detective implying a correlation between shooters and vaccinations?  I couldn't get the link to work.

So is the retired detective implying a correlation between shooters and vaccinations?  I couldn't get the link to work.
Yes, something to that effect. I guessing he is saying that vaccines are bad because mass shooters are no longer scared to go outside rather than vaccines are causing mass shootings. He didn't clarify his statement and Fox didn't follow up, so he may have meant something else. 

So his thought process is that this guy who murdered 8 people and then killed himself waited until after he was vaccinated because he was afraid he might get Covid?

I don't think I've EVER seen fish in here complaining about Chicago.  Only places NOT named Chicago.

Of course, Chicago says it's not responsible for it's gun violence.  It's someone else's fault.

I don't think I've EVER seen fish in here complaining about Chicago.  Only places NOT named Chicago.

Of course, Chicago says it's not responsible for it's gun violence.  It's someone else's fault.
i have an issue with all gun violence.  i have repeatedly criticized the decisions in Miller, Heller and McDonald that allow unfettered gun ownership. i am also critical of the lax gun laws in the states bordering Illinois.  what falsehood would you like me to correct next?

we've debunked the NRA talking point about Chicago about a dozen times in here.  Spin the wheel again.  

Since you keep bringing this up as some sort of weird "gotcha".  Who exactly do you expect to collect info on where the guns are from after the city of Chicago police confiscate them after crimes?   

On the flip side, it seems like people on the other side of the spectrum ONLY talk about Chicago.  

Since you keep bringing this up as some sort of weird "gotcha".  Who exactly do you expect to collect info on where the guns are from after the city of Chicago police confiscate them after crimes?   

On the flip side, it seems like people on the other side of the spectrum ONLY talk about Chicago.  
Chicago, Baltimore, LA... I'm jumping in a little late, but it's the basic line of thinking that additional gun laws don't prevent shootings, maybe we need to consider things other than more gun restrictions.

I reserve that response for anyone intent on removing one of the Bill of Rights.
It just sucks that the framers didn't think to put things like Freedom of Speech and the right to petition the government for a redress of grievances into the Bill of Rights as well.  Imagine if they had done that, and maybe put it right in the very first amendment! It would have been like they were okay with American citizens expressing opinions that might run counter to what they were putting down on pap... er... parchment.  Or... and I know this is going to sound crazy, but hear me out, it would have been really cool if they had built in some way to change the Constitution in case at some point, say 250 years in the future, people decided that maybe this document from 250 years in the past didn't perfectly address the current situation.  Oh well.  Swing and a miss there.  

It just sucks that the framers didn't think to put things like Freedom of Speech and the right to petition the government for a redress of grievances into the Bill of Rights as well.  Imagine if they had done that, and maybe put it right in the very first amendment! It would have been like they were okay with American citizens expressing opinions that might run counter to what they were putting down on pap... er... parchment.  Or... and I know this is going to sound crazy, but hear me out, it would have been really cool if they had built in some way to change the Constitution in case at some point, say 250 years in the future, people decided that maybe this document from 250 years in the past didn't perfectly address the current situation.  Oh well.  Swing and a miss there.  
Yeah, that would be cool.  :thumbup:

You know what else would be cool?  If they also built into the Constitution a way to make it not necessarily difficult, but hard to change said Constitution easily.  That way, people can't make quick changes based on a whim or how they're feeling that day.

That would be super neat if they did that.

Chicago, Baltimore, LA... I'm jumping in a little late, but it's the basic line of thinking that additional gun laws don't prevent shootings, maybe we need to consider things other than more gun restrictions.
Gotcha, I never see anything besides Chicago brought up.  
I guess I still don't understand how people are expecting a city to be fully effective at doing something like this to begin with.   Not the best way to see how something like this might or might not work if people can go 30mins away.  

ETA:  I think it's naive to think that a problem like this can be left up to cities, hell even state to state.   This needs to be a federal effort.  

Gotcha, I never see anything besides Chicago brought up.  
I guess I still don't understand how people are expecting a city to be fully effective at doing something like this to begin with.   Not the best way to see how something like this might or might not work if people can go 30mins away.  
So the question needs to be, why isn't Indiana's murder rate as bad as Chicago's if all the illegal guns are coming from there and they have less restrictive gun laws?

It makes sense to look at the socioeconomic, culture and demographic factors that play into these different rates.  A lot goes into why each area is as safe or dangerous as it is.  To boil it down to gun laws misses the mark. 

So the question needs to be, why isn't Indiana's murder rate as bad as Chicago's if all the illegal guns are coming from there and they have less restrictive gun laws?

It makes sense to look at the socioeconomic, culture and demographic factors that play into these different rates.  A lot goes into why each area is as safe or dangerous as it is.  To boil it down to gun laws misses the mark. 
of course, huge cities would be their own thing too.  

never once have I suggested to just look at guns laws for a solution either.  just saying I don't think we can look at a city as proof one way or the other as far as gun control working.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread