What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MLB moves All-Star game in response to GA voter laws (1 Viewer)

BTW, you still need some form of ID in every state in order to register to vote, so if you had it when you registered then it's likely you'll still have it when you go to vote.
So if you're registered to vote you've already provided an ID, so there's no reason to do it again.    

How difficult is it to register to vote?

Shouid the govt send people door to door to register voters?
I suspect this is a matter of opinion.  But for some it's difficult.  People can poo poo that all they want, but that's the reality.  As long as there is struggle we should be striving to eliminate it.  I'm good with door to door too.  I'm also good with voting day registration as well.  It's a really stupid problem to have, yet here we are :shrug:  

No thanks. I want to make sure the person who is registering AND voting in my name is actually me. 
I live in a state with mail in voting only.   Works great, and no reason to keep showing the same ID.  Not only is there no reason for a voter ID law, it wouldn't make sense anyway.   

But that's the case everywhere.   

I live in a state with mail in voting only.   Works great, and no reason to keep showing the same ID.  Not only is there no reason for a voter ID law, it wouldn't make sense anyway.   

But that's the case everywhere.   
I've never done absentee or mail-in vote. Do you get anything that lets you know that your vote has been recorded?

Last edited by a moderator:
So if you're registered to vote you've already provided an ID, so there's no reason to do it again.    
You need to if you're requesting and absentee ballot. Before you needed just a signature. Then a group of government workers had to match that signature to your voting application to see if it was the same. Of there were any differences, the request could be denied. With a form of ID on the request, it makes the process much smoother.

You need to if you're requesting and absentee ballot. Before you needed just a signature. Then a group of government workers had to match that signature to your voting application to see if it was the same. Of there were any differences, the request could be denied. With a form of ID on the request, it makes the process much smoother.
I don't request an absentee ballot, because we only vote by mail and everyone that's registered gets a ballot in the mail.   I couldn't show someone an ID if I wanted to, because there is nowhere to do it.  So a federal voter ID requirement would never make sense. 

It makes the process much smoother, and there is zero evidence of voter fraud since it was instituted. 

I don't request an absentee ballot, because we only vote by mail and everyone that's registered gets a ballot in the mail.   I couldn't show someone an ID if I wanted to, because there is nowhere to do it.  So a federal voter ID requirement would never make sense. 

It makes the process much smoother, and there is zero evidence of voter fraud since it was instituted. 
Mail in ballot is what I meant. According to Georgia law, you only needed a signature to get a mail in ballot before. This then needed to be checked by a person to match the signature you made on your voting application however many years before. This caused major headaches for election officials last year since there was an unprecedented increase in mail in ballots. Requiring a driver's license number, SS# or some other form of ID on the request makes it much easier to verify instead of having regular people try to match a signature. 

Daniel Dale @ddale8

Here's a non-comprehensive thread on how Colorado's elections law is extremely different than Georgia's.

Mail ballots: Colorado sends a ballot to every active registered voter. In Georgia, a voter must request a ballot. The Secretary of State and other officials are now banned from even sending *applications* to everyone. 1/

In-person voter ID: Colorado allows various non-photo ID for in-person voting, including a birth certificate, recent bill/bank statement/check. Georgia requires photo ID. 2/

Drop boxes part 1: Colorado's drop boxes are open 24 hours a day until the evening of Election Day. Georgia's now have to be inside, available only during early voting hours, and shut down the Friday before Election Day. 4/

Drop boxes part 2: Colorado encourages the use of drop boxes. Georgia just imposed strict limits. In the 2020 general, both Denver and Atlanta's Fulton County had 38 boxes. Denver can keep that number. Fulton says it is being forced down to 8 boxes. 5/

Voter registration: Colorado allows same-day voter registration on Election Day; someone can show up, register and vote in that election. Georgia's registration deadline is the fifth Monday before Election Day. 6/

Food and water: CO says even campaigns can give out food/drink to voters in line as long as they don't wear candidate/party attire. GA says no person can give out food/drink to voters within 25 feet of the line, with the exception of self-serve water set up by election staff. 7/

Might not show current address though.  I am not sure how it works administratively in Georgia, but in my province (Alberta), one barrier to getting a new ID is municipal or provincial fines/tickets.  They will not issue you a new license (or identification card) unless you pay your fines/tickets.  That could be a barrier for some if it is the same case.
I don't think most American cities are near that efficient.  Granted, it's been awhile now but I literally had a garbage bag full of my old parking tickets when I cleaned out my old Toyota after a move.  Lived there about 3 years, one time they tried to place a boot on my car when I had a few outstanding they caught but got to my car to move it before they could finish with the car in front of mine.  When I was in my 20's, this was like a game.

Neither.  I’ve conceded getting a current ID to vote is easy.  My point is many still won’t do it.  And the GOP knows that, which is the reason they are passing the law.  Not because of fake election integrity issues.  

Again, I’m somewhat surprised that this is in any way controversial.  It is obvious.  

I am not particularly sympathetic to people who can’t be bothered to do the bare minimum to vote.  Another thread could be started about whether a society really wants uninformed apathetic people voting.  A lot has been written on the subject.  

But none of that changes why the GOP is doing what they are doing here.  And it ain’t election security.  
Honestly if someone is so apathetic toward voting they can't make a minimum effort I don't really trust them to have evaluated the issues/choices anyway, black or white.  

Exactly.  They are not preventing anyone from voting.  Getting a current ID is not that hard.  But many won't do it.

Abrams team:  "you coming down to the polls this weekend to vote?"

"yeah my mom is going so I guess I'll go too."

Abrams team: "awesome! do you have a current ID?"

"No, we moved last year and I haven't got around to it."

Abrams team: "Well, you need to go get that sorted out before you can vote."

"No thanks, I'm good."

Abrams team:  "well, you can still vote if you bring a bill with your current address on it."

"I don't pay the bills, my parents do."
One thing get-out-the-vote advocates could do is to prompt potential voters to memorize the last four of their SSN, which abides by Georgia's new law and is unalienable. Help potential voters get the documents (new SSN card) if necessary. Had I not gotten used to looking for my SSN on grading lists in college, I might not have it memorized today.

Daniel Dale @ddale8

Here's a non-comprehensive thread on how Colorado's elections law is extremely different than Georgia's.

Mail ballots: Colorado sends a ballot to every active registered voter. In Georgia, a voter must request a ballot. The Secretary of State and other officials are now banned from even sending *applications* to everyone. 1/

In-person voter ID: Colorado allows various non-photo ID for in-person voting, including a birth certificate, recent bill/bank statement/check. Georgia requires photo ID. 2/

Drop boxes part 1: Colorado's drop boxes are open 24 hours a day until the evening of Election Day. Georgia's now have to be inside, available only during early voting hours, and shut down the Friday before Election Day. 4/

Drop boxes part 2: Colorado encourages the use of drop boxes. Georgia just imposed strict limits. In the 2020 general, both Denver and Atlanta's Fulton County had 38 boxes. Denver can keep that number. Fulton says it is being forced down to 8 boxes. 5/

Voter registration: Colorado allows same-day voter registration on Election Day; someone can show up, register and vote in that election. Georgia's registration deadline is the fifth Monday before Election Day. 6/

Food and water: CO says even campaigns can give out food/drink to voters in line as long as they don't wear candidate/party attire. GA says no person can give out food/drink to voters within 25 feet of the line, with the exception of self-serve water set up by election staff. 7/
Should sports leagues, trade shows, conventions, etc start pulling out  to force states to be like another state?  

I've never done absentee or mail-in vote. Do you get anything that lets you know that your vote has been recorded?
In our state there is a website where you can track your ballot all the way to recording from when they initially send it out.

Yes, you can check on the secretary of state website.   It updates you when your ballot has been received and again when your vote has been recorded.
Exactly. How it works in Colorado.  Even get a pre ballot postcard telling you to expect your ballot in the mail. 

I don’t disagree.  
My mom is 88.  She's blind and doesn't drive.  She hasn't had a valid ID in 10 years, and she's not going to go to the DMV and spend hours exposed to potential infectious diseases to get one.   She knows more about local politics than most local politicians. She's not lazy or apathetic.   But you'd take away her vote.  

Your signature is verified and if it can't be verified your vote doesn't count.

My mom is 88.  She's blind and doesn't drive.  She hasn't had a valid ID in 10 years, and she's not going to go to the DMV and spend hours exposed to potential infectious diseases to get one.   She knows more about local politics than most local politicians. She's not lazy or apathetic.   But you'd take away her vote.  
Sounds to me like you guys have a state ID issue.  My dad was 98 when he passed away last year, hadn't driven in over 10 years.  He was able to renew his via mail as an ID.  They mailed him a renewal, literally filled out and mailed in.  Pretty simple, easier than a ballot would be.

Or can't plan for their own hydration while waiting in line.
What I needed that day was my ball cap and shades.  I was out there close to two hours and the part of that line not in the shade was pretty bright.  But it was November, not exactly July temps.  

You guys think you're in agreement but my guess is that you aren't.

Imagine a hypothetical new law that makes voting and registration easier.  Because I can see into the future with perfect accuracy, I know that this new law will result in 100 additional eligible voters who will now register and vote.  But it will also result in one fraudulent vote cast by an illegal voter.

To me, it still seems obvious that the law is a positive change.  The fraudulent vote is unfortunate but the 100 new voters justifies the change.

But to a lot of folks, that's a negative change.  The 100 new voters could theoretically have voted in the old system, they just weren't willing to jump through all the necessary hoops to do it.  We've now introduced a fraudulent vote into the system just to save some people a little inconvenience. 
I'd be against a change that invites, at the margin, about 1% fraud among additional voters. That's too high, IMO. Elections are very often decided by less than 1%.

Make it a thousand additional voters instead of a hundred and I'm probably in. Ten thousand and I'm definitely in. (I believe the average rate of fraud is way, way, way lower than one in ten thousand, but it will always be somewhat higher at the margin with new laws.)

That does the same thing as voter ID does, imo. 

Not sure about Georgia, but, many states waived that requirement in a rush to get mail in ballots approved and counted in 2020.
Kinda reminds me as my days as a financial auditor for a corporation.  They sent me to Phoenix to look into why one of our repair facilities was having high costs.  I got to the airport, went over to the site for a couple hours just to introduce myself, explain what I'd be doing that week etc.  So I meet the manager over the warehouse, and he knows they are having cost issues.  I tell him I need you to print me out your latest inventory counts so I can just take a sample and verify what you are supposed to have is here.  I get the response "We don't take inventory".  Well how do you know when you need more of a part?  "Well when my guys get low they just order more, makes it easier that way".  It made it easier for sure when you don't have safeguards and controls. 

As it turned out, we had an employee that we pretty well could conclude was literally building race cars and supplying parts to folks out of a mobile vehicle repair shop.  Because they didn't have a system in place, nobody had any way to know it along the way.  Of course we couldn't prove it either because the safeguards weren't there to prevent it to begin with.  But once we put them in place, magically the costs got way better.  If you don't have the ability to detect a problem, you will never know if you have one.  There is no way to ever prove that you have a problem.

Honestly if someone is so apathetic toward voting they can't make a minimum effort I don't really trust them to have evaluated the issues/choices anyway, black or white.  
I don't agree that your trust or anyone's trust should affect anyone's rights. No matter how little they prioritize that right. 

I don't agree that your trust or anyone's trust should affect anyone's rights. No matter how litte they prioritize that right. 
I disagree that I'm impacting anyone's rights when they have to make such a minimal effort to participate.  I could have chosen to vote absentee in November as well.  It's on me that I didn't and I went and stood in line for two hours.  Had i gotten there and decided not to wait that long, that's on me, no one else.  To have to provide ID or match a signature is a pretty low bar.

Joe’s like the rest of them.

Whatever it takes to get his side re-elected. That’s all that matters.
That's all this is really about.  And honestly, if this was any state other than GA who flipped in the last election and flipped control of the Senate, along with Stacey Abrams, this would be a non story and the game would be happening as always.  From the national level and Biden, Schumer, etc. this is more about HR-1 and trying to justify it.

I disagree that I'm impacting anyone's rights when they have to make such a minimal effort to participate.  I could have chosen to vote absentee in November as well.  It's on me that I didn't and I went and stood in line for two hours.  Had i gotten there and decided not to wait that long, that's on me, no one else.  To have to provide ID or match a signature is a pretty low bar.
Doesn't matter what you do or the fact you take pride and time to do it. In our country you are born with these rights and you get to choose how you prioritize them and how much effort they put in. 

That does the same thing as voter ID does, imo. 

Not sure about Georgia, but, many states waived that requirement in a rush to get mail in ballots approved and counted in 2020.
We're saying the same thing.  I think you just missed the beginning of this exchange.

Doesn't matter what you do or the fact you take pride and time to do it. In our country you are born with these rights and you get to choose how you prioritize them and how much effort they put in. 
Again, you are inferring I'm taking away someone's right by merely asking them to show ID or match a signature.  That's a heavy claim for asking someone to sign a card or merely provide an ID.  I'm not infringing on anyone's right, nor is it my responsibility to ensure that any given party chooses to exercise their right.  Someone having a right who chooses not to make any effort to use that right is not the same as someone removing it.

Again, you are inferring I'm taking away someone's right by merely asking them to show ID or match a signature.  That's a heavy claim for asking someone to sign a card or merely provide an ID.  I'm not infringing on anyone's right, nor is it my responsibility to ensure that any given party chooses to exercise their right.  Someone having a right who chooses not to make any effort to use that right is not the same as someone removing it.
The point is if these rights are supposed to be guaranteed to everyone then making it more difficult to exercise those rights is a form of taking them away. Especially after an election that had a record turnout out that showed little to no fraud. 

Here in Florida your signature isn't verified against the one you used to register to vote.  It's verified against the paper you sign requesting the ballot in the first place.  Maybe that's the same where fish is...not sure, but in my state what he's saying is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread