What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daily Beast Reports the Columbus Girl was Unarmed and Knife was Lying on the Ground (1 Viewer)

Ugh.  No.  
What I figured. 
Just for the sake of anyone reading else reading this, I’ve never written anything like that. In fact I’ve spent a lot of time here actually defending Trump supporters from the charge, which I’ve always believed was pretty stupid. The vast majority of those who voted for Trump are NOT racist. 

There was disturbing polling and research, which I referenced last night, that indicated that fear of white people losing their majority status did play a significant part in getting Trump elected. While I find this highly problematic, it’s likely that most of those who hold these sorts of fears don’t regard themselves as racist. They also don’t represent everyone who voted for Trump, though they apparently were enough to put him over the top. 

What about the guy with the size 12 steel toe boots?  Could have been two of them shot for using deadly weapons.  
That short clip is sort of like a movie that you have to watch a few times to see all the details and say "wow".

You have this guy that is curb stomping a fellow citizen right next to the cop.  That would freak me the #### out, I'd certainly feel at risk.  But the cop the whole time isolates on and doesn't loose track of the primary threat...the girl with the knife.

Dude was in the zone.

"If you voted for Trump, you are racist"
I would be surprised if somebody posted that, and if so it wasn't reported and they would probably not be currently posting.  

But I seem to either miss a lot of these exchanges ( I wasn't in the PSF much in general besides the gun thread until about a year ago), or people are misreading what people actually post and are overexaggerating.  

I would be surprised if somebody posted that, and if so it wasn't reported and they would probably not be currently posting.  

But I seem to either miss a lot of these exchanges ( I wasn't in the PSF much in general besides the gun thread until about a year ago), or people are misreading what people actually post and are overexaggerating.  
Once again, I’ve never posted that or anything like that. Never. It’s the opposite of what I believe. He’s simply making it up. 

Do you think "schoolyard fight" is an accurate description of what happened here?  This is a person armed with a knife, charging an unarmed victim, in a location that is not a schoolyard.
No, I don't.  But.....like gun rights (and pro-cop) folks have been saying for years.....I don't know what happened prior to the video.  So I'm keeping a somewhat open mind (even though it seems pretty clear a girl tried to kill another girl with a knife).

Last edited by a moderator:
You asked me what I would call it, I'd be open to other headlines but don't have the time to document the dozens that I might find acceptable.  A bear hug with a sharp object maybe?
I'm just being difficult.  No issues with your description of it.   Hopefully we can agree that multiple descriptions could be appropriate.

Do you think "schoolyard fight" is an accurate description of what happened here?  
No. 
And for me, this is most compelling evidence I’ve seen in a long time of the media slanting the news in a given direction. Normally I reject these sorts of arguments, but this time it’s a bit overwhelming and I’m forced to consider it. 

That short clip is sort of like a movie that you have to watch a few times to see all the details and say "wow".

You have this guy that is curb stomping a fellow citizen right next to the cop.  That would freak me the #### out, I'd certainly feel at risk.  But the cop the whole time isolates on and doesn't loose track of the primary threat...the girl with the knife.

Dude was in the zone.
How many cops would have went for the father instead?   That was pretty impressive by the cop.  The woman in pink should buy a lotto ticket.

I feel like we're 24 hours away from "She was just trying to give the knife to her friend for safe-keeping."
"snapped after being bullied"

Some "journalist" will find an old tiktok video where somebody makes a comment about her weight. An anonymous source will say the person making the comment was the girl in pink.

What I figured. 
Just for the sake of anyone reading else reading this, I’ve never written anything like that. In fact I’ve spent a lot of time here actually defending Trump supporters from the charge, which I’ve always believed was pretty stupid. The vast majority of those who voted for Trump are NOT racist. 

There was disturbing polling and research, which I referenced last night, that indicated that fear of white people losing their majority status did play a significant part in getting Trump elected. While I find this highly problematic, it’s likely that most of those who hold these sorts of fears don’t regard themselves as racist. They also don’t represent everyone who voted for Trump, though they apparently were enough to put him over the top. 
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.  You kept saying Trump is a racist and Trump supporters voted for a racist and are ok with a racist president.  It's a subtle difference because calling other posters racist gets you a time out.  

This is poor. Tim plays the race card too much, IMO, but I don’t recall him ever saying what you said he did, and If you are going to accuse a fellow board member of something like that, you need to back it up. 
Here you go.

That's as close as you get because you can't directly call other posters racist out loud.  You get suspended and the posts are deleted.  Tim is a pro, he has 500 thousand posts, he's perfected his angry white man race-baiting.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.  You kept saying Trump is a racist and Trump supporters voted for a racist and are ok with a racist president.  It's a subtle difference because calling other posters racist gets you a time out.  
First off I usually said he was a bigot. I’m not sure he is a racist (though I think he is.) Second, I wrote that some, not all Trump supporters were OK with Trump being a bigot. Others denied that he was one. Others never really considered it. It was never a subtle difference, it was a huge difference. 
Finally, there have been racists in this forum and I’ve called them out. Fear of time outs never stopped me. It’s not a relevant factor here. 

Here you go.

That's as close as you get because you can't directly call other posters racist out loud.  You get suspended and the posts are deleted.  Tim is a pro, he has 500 thousand posts, he's perfected his angry white man race-baiting.
What?? 
if anything that’s the opposite of your argument. What I was suggesting there was that Trump could garner some backlash votes as a result of conservatives angry at being wrongfully called racists. Read the post directly above it for context. 

Also, that quote is from July of 2019. How long did you spend looking for it? Amazing. 

This is poor. Tim plays the race card too much, IMO, but I don’t recall him ever saying what you said he did, and If you are going to accuse a fellow board member of something like that, you need to back it up. 
It's semantics.  And you all know it.  He did what he did and lies about it now.  Doesn't matter.  That's old news.  But it is important to remember how the self declared centrist thinks.  Unfortunately, and I mean this, Tim gets the bulk of the abuse for this.  The point is more that there are many many more out there. And as I will always say, extremists on both sides are going to destroy this country.  It's scary. And when you have extremists that truly believe their positions are centrist, that's even more scary.  

First off I usually said he was a bigot. I’m not sure he is a racist (though I think he is.) Second, I wrote that some, not all Trump supporters were OK with Trump being a bigot. Others denied that he was one. Others never really considered it. It was never a subtle difference, it was a huge difference. 
Finally, there have been racists in this forum and I’ve called them out. Fear of time outs never stopped me. It’s not a relevant factor here. 
Curious who you believe the racists are in this forum.  If you have called them out before it shouldn't be a problem to do it again.  Are any of them racists against white folks as that seems to be more prevalent these days?

Curious who you believe the racists are in this forum.  If you have called them out before it shouldn't be a problem to do it again.  Are any of them racists against white folks as that seems to be more prevalent these days?
The last sentence is complete BS. 

What is "Daily Beast"? I'll look it up, it sounds like some hack website though. If the premise of the thread is what they said I'm definitely going with "who cares what Daily Beast says". 
Sorry, guys, but I fail to believe that you guys have no idea what The Daily Beast is.  This seems like you're just being obtuse on purpose.

The Daily Beast has been around since 2008 and has been pushing far left propaganda ever since.  I know you guys know what it is.

There's another video of this event circulating now that provides a clearer view of what happened.  I'm not going to link to it because it seems like the sort of thing that JB wouldn't want here, but it very strongly supports the view that this was an entirely justified shooting.  I know that's not really in doubt here, but some of the takes out there in the media are pretty wild.
Crazy how fast it all happened. Hard to blame the officer. I wish that less lethal options were possible, but I’m not sure that they were.

Honestly this makes me sad for our culture in general more than anything. I mean, it’s not like that girl wasn’t aware that there was a cop RIGHT THERE and yet she still tried to stab that other girl. To get to the point where you’re willing to try to stab someone to death right in front of a police officer, it’s likely that a whole lot of things have gone wrong in that person’s life. And at only 15, it would seem that her family and culture at large failed a lot of the folks in these videos. Incredibly sad.

This is excellent advice in general, but pretty much every media outlet butchered this story.  

Sorry, guys, but I fail to believe that you guys have no idea what The Daily Beast is.  This seems like you're just being obtuse on purpose.

The Daily Beast has been around since 2008 and has been pushing far left propaganda ever since.  I know you guys know what it is.
The rush to judgment before all the facts are in, especially to fit a narrative, is a big problem in the media, definitely.

Only speaking for myself here, but I wasn't familiar with the site before this thread. I went to their site. Hyper-partisan and poor formatting to boot. I won't be going back. I'm really just not into the fringe sites on either side, big part of the problem IMO (see first sentence above). 

These threads are all so much better when the discussion is on the issues and arguments around them rather than on individual posters or groups.

Discussion on tough issues in general is just better when everyone stops trying to “win” discussions and starts trying to hear what others are saying and working together to find common ground. There was a time when there was more of that here. Would be awesome if we as a group pushed back against our culture and tried to work together more instead of reflecting where culture has headed.

They’re no longer here. I can’t even recall their names to be honest. Grandparox or something like that. One of the Frozen characters. I don’t remember. 

I don’t think anyone currently posting is racist. 

I’m confused. Is it part of the mainstream media or not? If it’s pushing a left wing agenda, then what is the point of this thread? 

It's semantics.  And you all know it.  He did what he did and lies about it now.  Doesn't matter.  That's old news.  But it is important to remember how the self declared centrist thinks.  Unfortunately, and I mean this, Tim gets the bulk of the abuse for this.  The point is more that there are many many more out there. And as I will always say, extremists on both sides are going to destroy this country.  It's scary. And when you have extremists that truly believe their positions are centrist, that's even more scary.  
You were caught lying and now you’re trying to backtrack by claiming “it’s semantics”. It’s not. Not only have I never said what you claimed, I never intimated it, implied it, or came close to it. @tonydead’s “example” is garbage, and your claim is garbage. 
You ought to apologize. Better yet, you ought to slink back to FFToday where you belong. Come back when you’re capable of good conversation and analysis. 

You were caught lying and now you’re trying to backtrack by claiming “it’s semantics”. It’s not. Not only have I never said what you claimed, I never intimated it, implied it, or came close to it. @tonydead’s “example” is garbage, and your claim is garbage. 
You ought to apologize. Better yet, you ought to slink back to FFToday where you belong. Come back when you’re capable of good conversation and analysis. 
Whatever.  This garbage post is no better than what you're whining about.  And you've implied many posters are racist over the years.  Like almost every subject, you jump to conclusions throwing out wild accusations and bombs and later look silly.  Rinse and repeat

Hopefully I won’t get suspended for what I just posted but I’m not taking it down. I’ve never claimed that all Trump supporters are racist. I’ve never intimated it. I’ve never thought it. For somebody to put that in quotation marks and claim it was me is just garbage, and it pisses me off. 

Thanks Tim.  I stand by what I said.  

Whatever.  This garbage post is no better than what you're whining about.  And you've implied many posters are racist over the years.  Like almost every subject, you jump to conclusions throwing out wild accusations and bombs and later look silly.  Rinse and repeat
I know what he said.  I remember it well.  If you voted for Trump, you were racist or you supported racism(which is the same thing)  I specifically remember it.  I'm not taking my posts down either.  

Hopefully I won’t get suspended for what I just posted but I’m not taking it down. I’ve never claimed that all Trump supporters are racist. I’ve never intimated it. I’ve never thought it. For somebody to put that in quotation marks and claim it was me is just garbage, and it pisses me off. 
First off, I believe there have been numerous posts in here where the poster either explicitly or implicitly implied that a vote for Trump means you're a racist.  I recall having to defend myself on this matter a bunch of times.  However, I will need to do some more research before I start naming names.

Secondly, you just kind of implied that FFToday is racist, thereby kind of proving @supermike80 point.

FFToday is not a bad site or forum.  I get that it doesn't tow the DNC line like you guys do here, but that doesn't mean it's a terrible forum.  Lots of good posters there and I imagine the only reason it's hated here (like FBGs is hated there) is because of SIDES!!!

First off, I believe there have been numerous posts in here where the poster either explicitly or implicitly implied that a vote for Trump means you're a racist.  I recall having to defend myself on this matter a bunch of times.  However, I will need to do some more research.

Secondly, you just implied that FFToday is racist, thereby kind of proving @supermike80 point.  FFToday is not a bad site or forum.  I get that it doesn't tow the DNC line like you guys do here, but that doesn't mean it's a terrible forum.  Lots of good posters there and I imagine the only reason it's hated here (like FBGs is hated there) is because of SIDES!!!
FFToday is a place where people make dumb accusations and write thoughtless posts without backing them up. It’s a place for people with no ability to think deeply. I don’t hate them (I don’t hate anyone) but he really belongs there, IMO. 

First off, I believe there have been numerous posts in here where the poster either explicitly or implicitly implied that a vote for Trump means you're a racist.  I recall having to defend myself on this matter a bunch of times.  However, I will need to do some more research.
The poster was not me. 

FFToday is a place where people make dumb accusations and write thoughtless posts without backing them up. It’s a place for people with no ability to think deeply. I don’t hate them (I don’t hate anyone) but he really belongs there, IMO. 
Oh it happens plenty here too.  Plenty of dumb accusations of racism and sexism thrown out by ironically YOU.  Perhaps you should go post at FFToday?

Yeah, Tim, you're entitled to your opinion but that's just not true.  Many good conversations over there that you're missing.  This forum isn't any better or worse than over there.

In fact, it's actually a lot FREER over there than it is here, which is why you probably don't like it.  In reality, you 1st amendment types should love that site for the amount of freedom you have over there.  That freedom means people get to keep it real, feelings be damned.  Which is how it should be, IMO.  

Perfect example. 

This type of person is dumb, thoughtless, I have no use for them and they should leave......But I don't hate them because that would make me a racist,.

Bravo.  

I won't link, but the first page, even the first few posts, of the FFT Columbus thread makes me glad I'm here.

I won't link, but the first page, even the first few posts, of the FFT Columbus thread makes me glad I'm here.
Yes.  People with differing views are SCARY!!!

Just because they don't use big words sometimes doesn't mean they are racists, bigots, dumb, etc....

Just because they don't use big words sometimes doesn't mean they are racists, bigots, dumb, etc....
That is certainly not the case for me. I just think some of the discussion there is vile.  Classic Internet tough guy vulgar disgusting talk that actually wouldn’t happen face-to-face

Honestly so many post in that place exemplify the worst the Internet has to provide.

* and for clarity sake it has nothing to do with the political viewpoints
I respectfully disagree.  I think this smacks of elitisms when things like this are said.

That is certainly not the case for me. I just think some of the discussion there is vile.  Classic Internet tough guy vulgar disgusting talk that actually wouldn’t happen face-to-face
Yeah, we get that here too.  Go visit the Trump thread.

You should seriously read that thread and come back here and share your thoughts on posts 9, 18, and 39. That's just the first page. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread