What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The INFLATION Thread, aka “The Putin Price Hike” (2 Viewers)

Inflation

Hunger is a worldwide problem too, that doesn't mean all problems are created equal.  We're running 30-400% hotter than our primary contemporaries (China, UK, Germany, France).
UK at 4.2%.  Germany at 4.5%.  Canada 4.7%.

These countries are our contemporaries and all facing inflation issues just like we are.  Sure 6.2% is higher than 4.2% but to act like this is a Biden/US problem is incredibally disingenuous. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought of this thread while reading the column below...

Two Things That Are Both True

It includes a # I'd been wanting to look up, but hadn't got around to yet.  Annualized inflation over the last TWO years (which includes the early pandemic drop in prices AND the post-pandemic rapid increase) is running at 3.8% a year.  I think that's a good number to judge things by (rather than using the depressed base of 2020 as your starting place).  It's much higher than it's been for a long time, but not nearly the existential threat people are treating it as.

The This AND That on gasoline prices was worth thinking about too.

Acting like these numbers are close is extremely disingenuous. 
So something that cost $10 last year, now cost either $10.42 or $10.62.  Yes those numbers are close.

Inflation is a first world issue right now and not the fault of Joe or the Dems or whatever other side you wish to blame.  We certainly can argue whether we think Joe is addressing it properly, that's fine and for the record I don't think he's focusing enough on the issue nor doing enough to combat it, but let's not act like it's the sole responsibility of the current administration.  How they respond will be their sole responsibility and I'm fairly certain you'll find fault no matter the outcome. 

There are some really interesting articles out there on this. 

If you want to do serious, in depth research, there are also YouTube videos. 

So something that cost $10 last year, now cost either $10.42 or $10.62.  Yes those numbers are close.

Inflation is a first world issue right now and not the fault of Joe or the Dems or whatever other side you wish to blame.  We certainly can argue whether we think Joe is addressing it properly, that's fine and for the record I don't think he's focusing enough on the issue nor doing enough to combat it, but let's not act like it's the sole responsibility of the current administration.  How they respond will be their sole responsibility and I'm fairly certain you'll find fault no matter the outcome. 
It’s not that hard, 6.2% is almost 50% higher than 4.2%. That’s significant. Sorry?

It’s not that hard, 6.2% is almost 50% higher than 4.2%. That’s significant. Sorry?
So you believe that prices are almost 50% higher due to this difference?  You must because I gave you a real world example where the difference is $.20.  If you change the example to $1,000, the difference is $20.

You still think that's significant?

So you believe that prices are almost 50% higher due to this difference?  You must because I gave you a real world example where the difference is $.20.  If you change the example to $1,000, the difference is $20.

He knows the differences.....he mocked people doing it in the Trump Stock Market thread (and rightfully so by the way) but now is doing the same thing....two sides of the same coin :lol:  

He knows the differences.....he mocked people doing it in the Trump Stock Market thread (and rightfully so by the way) but now is doing the same thing....two sides of the same coin :lol:  
I'm well aware of his act.  Just trying to be reasonable and point out facts rather than getting all emotional like some others seem to always do.

I even said that I don't think Biden's doing a good job handling inflation.  

I know that you passing it off as the same is disingenuous and laughable. I’ll pass on “real world” examples from the guy downplaying inflation right now, but thanks. 

No, not at all.
Really. Please explain that to me, because I gotta tell you, this subject interests me, and I've been reading a lot about it. 

Unless you have video of Biden firebombing that chip factory in Japan, I'm going to go ahead and say you have no clue what you are talking about. 

I know that you passing it off as the same is disingenuous and laughable. I’ll pass on “real world” examples from the guy downplaying inflation right now, but thanks. 
Quote where I downplayed inflation.  I only said it was a problem for first world countries across the world.

Be better. 

Does the U.S. have a printing press in Germany that prints U.S. dollars?
No, it makes silicon chips. I heard that Biden is holding up the production. 

If we had a different president, you would see silicon chips like you've never seen before. Tremendous growth. Your head would spin.

No, it makes silicon chips. I heard that Biden is holding up the production. 

If we had a different president, you would see silicon chips like you've never seen before. Tremendous growth. Your head would spin.
Thanks.

Until you actually address the aggregate demand, monetary, and fiscal spending sides of the inflation equation, I'm going to go ahead and assume you have no clue what you're talking about.

Thanks.

Until you actually address the aggregate demand, monetary, and fiscal spending sides of the inflation equation, I'm going to go ahead and assume you have no clue what you're talking about.
I wasn't talking about whatever your want to talk about, so cheers to your victory

Thanks.

In your opinion, is inflation a worldwide problem now?  Or is it the sole responsibility of the evil Biden administration? 

In your opinion, is inflation a worldwide problem now?  Or is it the sole responsibility of the evil Biden administration? 

Any wholesaler within 25 feet of a mic is screaming about how the shipping companies are robbing them blind. Containers that cost 2 grand are 25 grand.

90% of goods purchased arrive by ship. We don't need the CSI team to wrap up this investigation. 

And we get phrases like "aggregate demand, monetary, and fiscal spending sides of the inflation equation".

I must say, though, if it is Biden's fault, I would love to see the video where he wrests control of the freighter from the pilot, and wedges it into the sides of the canal. I bet he was wearing aviators. 

Is stealing someone's line bad behaviour?

If I use the phrase, "be better", do I need a GoBirds footnote?

I don't want to get banned for lack of attribution 
It’s alright friend, no one expects you all to handle it well when “your guy” is responsible for these issues. Just surround yourself with others that echo the same schtick….check.  :lmao:

I'm well aware of his act.  Just trying to be reasonable and point out facts rather than getting all emotional like some others seem to always do.

I even said that I don't think Biden's doing a good job handling inflation.  
Good luck with that....the bold, I agree 100% to the extent an individual can be part of it.  I think where he can have a larger impact is on the supply/demand parts of the problematic industries.  That would help with costs for sure.

It’s alright friend, no one expects you all to handle it well when “your guy” is responsible for these issues. Just surround yourself with others that echo the same schtick….check.  :lmao:
It's OK buddy, I sometimes quote the wrong post too. 🤣

Neither. That's massive oversimplification.

Supply chain issues are indeed a shared global, real economy issue.

But just because many developed countries share similar over-indebted, loose money-printing inflationary fiscal/monetary policies in no way means they are directly connected in the same way as the physical supply chain.

The Biden admin is continuing/enabling/exacerbating all that has gone before him economically/financially to get us to this point. So not the sole cause.

But the music has stopped on Biden's watch so it's his problem to solve.

Really. Please explain that to me, because I gotta tell you, this subject interests me, and I've been reading a lot about it. 

Unless you have video of Biden firebombing that chip factory in Japan, I'm going to go ahead and say you have no clue what you are talking about. 
I was just going with your joke, GB.

Looking for the firebombing video, though.  I'm sure it's out there!

Neither. That's massive oversimplification.

Supply chain issues are indeed a shared global, real economy issue.

But just because many developed countries share similar over-indebted, loose money-printing inflationary fiscal/monetary policies in no way means they are directly connected in the same way as the physical supply chain.

The Biden admin is continuing/enabling/exacerbating all that has gone before him economically/financially to get us to this point. So not the sole cause.

But the music has stopped on Biden's watch so it's his problem to solve.
I 100% agree with this.

.....Inflation is a first world issue right now and not the fault of Joe or the Dems or whatever other side you wish to blame.  ....

When you are QB1 on the depth chart, everything is your fault.

I own and operate several companies and have done so for a very long time. Everything is my fault. Even if it's some intern on his first day that I have no direct contact with whatsoever, whatever happens is my fault.

If my godson does something bad when he was a minor, something horrible, then it's my fault for not raising him right. Someone will say that's out of your control sometimes, no it's my fault. I hold other parents to that same standard when their children are minors.

Being POTUS is a lot of power. It's literally becoming the most "publicly perceived" powerful person on the entire planet. With that, as Uncle Ben Parker says, comes great responsibility.

I didn't want to hear Trump complain what messes Obama left him and I didn't want Obama to complain about what messes W Bush left him and I didn't want to hear Dubya moan about what Bill Clinton left him too.

When you use extreme ownership, you have invested yourself into finding solutions, and not passing blame. Winners don't have time for blame, even if they have real reasons behind it, because they are strategizing how to adapt and overcome.

The human race would not have survived this far if there was a consistent path to rationalizing weakness. That's the road to death. That's more evolutionary biology than it is modern politics, but it's still how the world actually works.

When you are QB1 on the depth chart, everything is your fault.

I own and operate several companies and have done so for a very long time. Everything is my fault. Even if it's some intern on his first day that I have no direct contact with whatsoever, whatever happens is my fault.

If my godson does something bad when he was a minor, something horrible, then it's my fault for not raising him right. Someone will say that's out of your control sometimes, no it's my fault. I hold other parents to that same standard when their children are minors.

Being POTUS is a lot of power. It's literally becoming the most "publicly perceived" powerful person on the entire planet. With that, as Uncle Ben Parker says, comes great responsibility.

I didn't want to hear Trump complain what messes Obama left him and I didn't want Obama to complain about what messes W Bush left him and I didn't want to hear Dubya moan about what Bill Clinton left him too.

When you use extreme ownership, you have invested yourself into finding solutions, and not passing blame. Winners don't have time for blame, even if they have real reasons behind it, because they are strategizing how to adapt and overcome.

The human race would not have survived this far if there was a consistent path to rationalizing weakness. That's the road to death. That's more evolutionary biology than it is modern politics, but it's still how the world actually works.
Damn straight, dude. Reminiscent of TR's Man In the Arena.

Percentages are almost as bad as statistics.   How much as your budget changed personally?  
Agreed, numbers suck when they don’t fit your agenda don’t they?  :lmao:

Let me suggest staying out of the business world if 50% differences aren’t significant….Godspeed fellas. 

Personally the runaway inflation has benefited me greatly as I’m 85% real estate but for your average person they will be getting destroyed. As the party that claims they are in the corner of the average person the Dems are in control for this destruction. Sad and really weak spin to downplay it. Sorry, truth. 

Agreed, numbers suck when they don’t fit your agenda don’t they?  :lmao:

Let me suggest staying out of the business world if 50% differences aren’t significant….Godspeed fellas. 

Personally the runaway inflation has benefited me greatly as I’m 85% real estate but for your average person they will be getting destroyed. As the party that claims they are in the corner of the average person the Dems are in control for this destruction. Sad and really weak spin to downplay it. Sorry, truth. 
Dollars spend better than percentage.  0.1% to 0.3% ---> 300%!!!

So your saying your mortgage and car payment haven't gone up?  Hmmm... why the big emphasis on 50%?

Users who are viewing this thread