What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tulsa, Juneteenth, Liberia, Marcus Garvey (1 Viewer)

Joe Schmo

Footballguy
These are all part of the American experience but in my k-12 schooling we never touched on them. I learned of all of these in my adult years and was kind of shocked at my ignorance. I see CRT as an attempt to correct this shortcoming and am wondering what other people, incidents, issues we may need to be more knowledgeable of going forward in order to promote a better understanding of race relations in the US. 

Please add to the list...

These are all part of the American experience but in my k-12 schooling we never touched on them. I learned of all of these in my adult years and was kind of shocked at my ignorance. I see CRT as an attempt to correct this shortcoming and am wondering what other people, incidents, issues we may need to be more knowledgeable of going forward in order to promote a better understanding of race relations in the US. 

Please add to the list...
CRT doesn't do that.  :shrug:

CRT is a Marxist take on American history.  The goal is to classify and group people into "oppressors" and "oppressed", thereby pitting everyone against each other and make people feel bad.  No different what they did in Communist China and Russia in the late 19th and early 20th century.

Last edited by a moderator:

CRT is a Marxist take on American history.  The goal is to classify and group people into "oppressors" and "oppressed", thereby pitting everyone against each other and make people feel bad.  No different what they did in Communist China and late 19th and early 20th century.
It’s news to me that China was Communist in the 19th century and early 20th century. 

I'm not "shocked" at my ignorance.  

I have Jewish friends.  There is suffering in their history.   I'm aware of it but I dont know much of the details.  There are also Jewish holidays.  I'm aware of them, like I will be with juneteenth,  but I honestly don't know what they celebrate or represent to the Jewish people---and thats ok.

I have no guilt or shock because of that.   To me thats textbook white guilt.  Period.   I dont see a need to be sorry or apologetic that you're not aware of everything everyone has suffered in history.  Its quite ok and fine to say you aren't aware.  It doesn't make you a bad person.  

I have Jewish friends.  There is suffering in their history.   I'm aware of it but I dont know much of the details.  There are also Jewish holidays.  I'm aware of them, like I will be with juneteenth,  but I honestly don't know what they celebrate or represent to the Jewish people---and thats ok.

I have no guilt or shock because of that.   To me thats textbook white guilt.  Period.   I dont see a need to be sorry or apologetic that you're not aware of everything everyone has suffered in history.  Its quite ok and fine to say you aren't aware.  It doesn't make you a bad person.  
I don't feel guilt about my ignorance. I feel frustrated that in my ~20 years or whatever of schooling I had that I was never taught about the Tulsa Massacre or the significance of June 19th. 

I don't feel guilt about my ignorance. I feel frustrated that in my ~20 years or whatever of schooling I had that I was never taught about the Tulsa Massacre or the significance of June 19th. 
Really?  You really feel "frustrated" that you weren't taught that?  C'mon, this rhetoric is silly.

How about we just say, "Oh, yeah I wasn't taught that.  Let's make sure to get it in their.".  

News flash.   Theres lots you weren't taught in school.  Why you seem to be focusing only on black issues says white guilt to me. 

Thus my comment.  

Again.  No need to feel frustrated or shocked any more than not knowing what Yom Kippur is all about.  Its OK. 

News flash.   Theres lots you weren't taught in school.  Why you seem to be focusing only on black issues says white guilt to me. 

Thus my comment.  

Again.  No need to feel frustrated or shocked any more than not knowing what Yom Kippur is all about.  Its OK. 
Yep, that is absolutely the reason.  We can do better going forward, but this "look at me and how broken up I am over it." for virtue points is crazy.

Really?  You really feel "frustrated" that you weren't taught that?  C'mon, this rhetoric is silly.

How about we just say, "Oh, yeah I wasn't taught that.  Let's make sure to get it in their.".  
I was taught how to ####### square dance.* So, yes, I am frustrated that I wasn't instead taught about these significant events. As such, while I am not losing any sleep over it and agree with you in principle that the best fix is to add it to the curriculum, frustration probably best describes my feeling on it. That or embarassment. 

*Was also taught homonyms but that was a worthwhile lesson.

I was taught how to ####### square dance.* So, yes, I am frustrated that I wasn't instead taught about these significant events. As such, while I am not losing any sleep over it and agree with you in principle that the best fix is to add it to the curriculum, frustration probably best describes my feeling on it. That or embarassment. 

But only decided to point out two black issues 

Interesting.  

Thus my comment.  

Yom Kippur is a religious holiday for a religion in a country across the globe. Juneteenth and the Tulsa Massacre were significant hisrotical events in the country I grew up in. I don't equate the two. 

Square dancing is an important part of growing up.  Just think of all the girls you got because of it.  :thumbup:

Yom Kippur is a religious holiday for a religion in a country across the globe. Juneteenth and the Tulsa Massacre were significant hisrotical events in the country I grew up in. I don't equate the two. 
I know.  Youre only focused on black issues.  I got it.  I understand.  Youre a very good person

Jews really haven’t suffered very much in the United States. A few bad instances of anti-semitism but nothing worth the history books. 

I feel no shock or guilt or anything else for not knowing these things. 

I think juneteenth is an ok idea. Hate the name but whatever.  

There's a lot I don't know.  And if I learn about them it can be good.  

But putting aside which century we’re talking about, I can’t quite believe you would make a comparison between Critical Race Theory and Stalin’s brutal collectivization of the Kulaks which resulted in the murder of close to 20 million people. That’s pretty grotesque. Like Marjorie Taylor Greene’s recent comparisons to the Holocaust. There are certain comparisons you simply should not make. 

the actual elimination happened in the 20's.  The demonization started in the late, late 1800's.  what happened in the 20's was the result of that.
What? This is nonsense. The demonization started in 1925. The Soviet Union wasn’t created until 1917, and Stalin, who started the demonization, didn’t take power until 1924. The term “Kulak” wasn’t even created until 1903. 

Please learn your history. No need to make things up. 

But putting aside which century we’re talking about, I can’t quite believe you would make a comparison between Critical Race Theory and Stalin’s brutal collectivization of the Kulaks which resulted in the murder of close to 20 million people. That’s pretty grotesque. Like Marjorie Taylor Greene’s recent comparisons to the Holocaust. There are certain comparisons you simply should not make. 
I was talking about the Kulaks so way to take something I didn't say, attribute it to me and then blame me for "saying" it which put you in "outrage" mode.  Now it's all my fault you're fake outraged over something you invented but are blaming me for.  I'm sure you'll get some virtue points out of this.

You went completely off point.  I never compared that.  I explained my position.  Don't try to revise it to fit YOUR narrative.

I was talking about the Kulaks so way to take something I didn't say, attributed it to me and then blame me for "saying" it which put you in "outrage" mode.  Now it's all my fault you're fake outraged.  I'm sure you'll get some virtue points out of this.

You went completely off point.  I never compared that.
You’re the one that brought up the Kulaks and wrote “no difference.” Sure sounds like a comparison to me. But whatever. I’m not outraged about it, just find it grotesque. Your posts are unable to outrage me. 

You’re the one that brought up the Kulaks and wrote “no difference.” Sure sounds like a comparison to me. But whatever. I’m not outraged about it, just find it grotesque. Your posts are unable to outrage me. 
Where did I write "no difference"?  What in Gods name are you inventing?   Now you're just making stuff up.  Stop it already.

The CRT pattern is the same - organize by race (in China and Russia they did it by "class") to pit people against each other.   And it shouldn't be a surprise because CRT is based on Marxist/Commie theory written BY Marxists/Commies.

Where did I write "no difference"?  What in Gods name are you inventing?   Now you're just making stuff up.  Stop it already.

The CRT pattern is the same - organize by race (in China and Russia they did it by "class") to pit people against each other.   And it shouldn't be a surprise because CRT is based on Marxist/Commie theory written BY Marxists/Commies.
Can you name the names of these people? I genuinely didn't know that there was a specified author of the CRT. 

CRT is a Marxist take on American history.  The goal is to classify and group people into "oppressors" and "oppressed", thereby pitting everyone against each other and make people feel bad.  No different what they did in Communist China and Russia in the late 19th and early 20th century.
This is where you wrote “no different”

I'm surprised I never heard of the Tulsa massacre until like last year.  That seems like a pretty big part of history that should be taught

Why do you hate learning about US history? 
Actually I love US history and read a lot about it.  I am also a member of SABR in the historical part.  My brother is a history/civics teacher also.  We can all agree that Tulsa and Wilmington were bad, but that isn’t affecting our day to day life today.  We learn and grow from it and not repeat those same actions, right?  If I have a bad sales day today, should I tell my boss it was because the immigrant Italians were treated like crap in the 1800’s?

timschochet said:
Yeah that started in the late 1920s. The 19th Century ended in 1899. 
Well, technically it ended in 1900.

Still, the fact that he has tripled down on this with google at his disposal is pretty funny.

Actually I love US history and read a lot about it.  I am also a member of SABR in the historical part.  My brother is a history/civics teacher also.  We can all agree that Tulsa and Wilmington were bad, but that isn’t affecting our day to day life today.  We learn and grow from it and not repeat those same actions, right?  If I have a bad sales day today, should I tell my boss it was because the immigrant Italians were treated like crap in the 1800’s?
Of course not.  No points for that.

Isn't the point we didn't learn about these things in history...and we should have...and going forward it should be taught?  Not sure what that has to do with moving forward or an example with your boss.

You really seem to be saying why do we keep talking about history at the same time as saying we learn about and grow from it.  

Why in the world would you do the bolded, or think anybody would be implying that you do so?

Isn't the point we didn't learn about these things in history...and we should have...and going forward it should be taught?  Not sure what that has to do with moving forward or an example with your boss.
Because we are supposed to be shamed for not knowing this and partially why blacks cannot get ahead.  

You really seem to be saying why do we keep talking about history at the same time as saying we learn about and grow from it.  

Why in the world would you do the bolded, or think anybody would be implying that you do so?
Because everything is an excuse

I'm not sure that's what he's saying   I think the point is there should really be no need to be "Shocked" or "ashamed" because you were not taught this.  Yes, there are always opportunities to learn more about our history.  But let's stop with this silliness and virtue signaling about how shocked you are.  

It's white guilt.  And it is more embarrassing to me than not learning about Tulsa in high school.

Users who are viewing this thread