What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pick-a-Player 1.02, PPR/Superflex: Cook, Kamara, Mahomes (1 Viewer)

Given the scenario below, who would you select?

• Dalvin Cook

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Alvin Kamara

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Patrick Mahomes

Votes: 36 73.5%
  • Other/None of these three

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters

Clayton Gray

Just call me Carlton
Staff member
It's time to Pick-a-Player! We give you a common drafting situation and you let us know how you would handle it. We will tally up the results and quote a few of the better replies in the article on the Footballguys website.

It's the 1.02 pick in a PPR, superflex league, and Christian McCaffrey is off the board. Would you select Dalvin Cook, Alvin Kamara, or Patrick Mahomes? Or would you pass on all three?

Starting lineup: 1 QB, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 superflex (QB/RB/WR/TE), 1 PK, 1 Def

Remember, we will quote a few of the better replies in the article.

This will close July 4, at 10:00 AM Eastern.

I go Mahomes as the safest of the three (injury wise).  With my early picks I want safe with an extremely high floor and Mahomes in a SF is the best of both worlds for that.   Add in that he also has a high ceiling and this makes for an easy pick for me.  

I went with Cook here as the only other consideration. Both he and CMC are the only ones I would consider to be as safe a bet to be the top RB. Otherwise Mahoney and then likely several other QBs would be next prior to Kamara or the next RBs or WRs. I would rather take Cook and grab a couple of QBs at the next turn if they make sense. 

I would take Mahomes at 1.01 in a superflex so if I'm picking 1.02 and he's available I would run to hit the draft button.

Going at it from redraft vantage point and wanting to force myself to think differently than normal:

Using one of my SF leagues for reference, the gap between overall QB1 and QB13 was 8pts PPG and the gap down to QB25 was a mere 13pts PPG.  For RBs, the gap from overall #1 to #13 was 10pts PPG, and the gap down to #25 at 14pts PPG.

Well, I was expecting to find the scoring to favor RBs and create same position scarcity we always reference in trade evaluations.  It’s certainly a larger PPG differential, but nothing wild by any stretch

Maybe I’ll zig here for RB while others would zag for QB, but more than likely I’m succumbing to conventional wisdom once OTC and taking Mahomes

Last edited by a moderator:
I never want to be weak at QB or have had a QB run before I've even picked mine, so Mahomes, Jackson, or Kyler Murray depending on scoring format. If it's standard four-point TD passes and four points for every hundred yards passing while still having standard rushing points, I'd seriously think heavily about Jackson or Murray.

I never want to be weak at QB or have had a QB run before I've even picked mine, so Mahomes, Jackson, or Kyler Murray depending on scoring format. If it's standard four-point TD passes and four points for every hundred yards passing while still having standard rushing points, I'd seriously think heavily about Jackson or Murray.
The only thing that would prevent me from going that route is that the risk is much higher on Lamar/Kyler than Mahomes.  With my first round pick I want to minimize risk because I can find upside later and risk early really hurts if that risk happens.  Plus Mahomes still has the high ceiling potential so you aren't losing too much there either.  

The only thing that would prevent me from going that route is that the risk is much higher on Lamar/Kyler than Mahomes.  With my first round pick I want to minimize risk because I can find upside later and risk early really hurts if that risk happens.  Plus Mahomes still has the high ceiling potential so you aren't losing too much there either.  
I thought of your reasoning when picking mine and was going to point the average finishes of Jackson and Murray in either median points per game (a stat that is posited as being stickier than avg PPG per I forget who on Twitter) or rank-ordered finish the past two years under the aforementioned scoring standards, but didn't have an effective resource off the top of my head.

I think Jackson was by far number one in 2019 for 4 pt passing TD leagues. He was eighth or ninth last year in a six point passing TD league last year, so it's not like you're missing out on an expected top twelve guy by taking him, especially in the 4 pt. format, because I think that he had a clear below average year last year compared to what we can expect. But that's my personal take on Jackson. I think last year was, if not his floor (that's too extreme given he missed no games to injury), then at least a year where we saw a downturn in production that will have been an aberration for him.

But I think I'm with you on sticking with Mahomes. It's just, to be honest, I don't like his supporting cast anymore. I don't care for CEH and I don't like that they have Kelce, Hill, and nobody else to really speak of. So the other guys (Jackson and Murray) and their rushing dynamism creep up in there.

One last thing: I didn't list Josh Allen because he's rushing TD dependent for his overall rushing points and I expect him to regress in the number of goal line and inside-the-five touches he keeps for himself. I think Moss will eat into that, even though they were largely by design. I think they'll call for less punishment up there in Buffalo. Can't have him getting hurt. Jackson's the same in that he can't get hurt, but that's another story altogether as his running is more integral to his game, even more so than Allen. Murray has already said this off-season that he'd like to scramble less this year, but we'll see about that. Edmonds and Conner are not likely to be workhouse backs that siphon off Murray's carries. Edmonds's size and Conner's looking bad from injury might not give the Cardinals that luxury. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted for Cook since its redraft. If it were dynasty I would take Mahomes because of more quality years remaining.

Scoring system matters here, but I’m leaning toward RB over the obvious QB1. If it was a dynasty league, it’s a different answer, but I think it’s better than 50/50 that Mahomes isn’t the overall QB1 in scoring this season 

Mahomes may get an upgrade to his receiving core. Someone like Doyle, Ertz, Albert Wilson, or another WR who gets cut. 

Mahomes may get an upgrade to his receiving core. Someone like Doyle, Ertz, Albert Wilson, or another WR who gets cut. 
This is what I’m hoping for. Another long shot that I’d love to see pan out is their signing of Antonio Callaway.  Showed a lot of promise in his rookie season on the browns, but a lot of off field issues derailed his career. Here’s to hoping he’s turned his life around and takes advantage of the opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread