What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home window tinting (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
Anyone had this done?  Looking to have some windows done in our home to help with the summer light and heat that comes in.  If you've had it done, which product?  Happy with it/did it help?  Things to look out for?

Anyone had this done?  Looking to have some windows done in our home to help with the summer light and heat that comes in.  If you've had it done, which product?  Happy with it/did it help?  Things to look out for?
i did, our bump out dining area has a ton of windows anda  huge half circle window above them. the evening sun was brutal it would warm up the main level and direct sunlight would warm up the fridge. i got the darkest they offer i believe it was 3m film, wasnt very expensive and ive noticed it helped quite a bit. i do wish they offered a darker tint though because about 60% of the heat still passes through

you could just paint some of the windows white to reflect heat or if you cant afford paint then use white out from your office and bam you are living the high life take that to the bank brohan

I did it myself on 2 windows. It's literally like putting on car tint, if you ever done it.  The 2 windows up in the foyer is where we did it

Interesting idea. We have shade screens here in AZ. Tinting sounds like a better proposition because the screens catch dust and get pretty dirty.

We have tinting/hurricane protection on transom windows at the front door and on a set of triple sliding doors in the back of the house. It's al lasted a very long time considering the harsh sun here in Tampa. I think there are a couple of very small bubbles in one corner of one of the sliders. If you get estimates, definitely look at which type of film each company is pimping. I would also specifically look at the temperature range for each product. Hth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t comment on home tinting—but I can comment that I got my vehicle tinted with a ceramic coating.  Apparently the ceramic tint products do a great job in regards to temperature.  If reducing the amount of heat is what your motivation is—you might want to see if the products that they use for home tinting are ceramic based. 

In the process of installing new windows on a rental in AZ and asked same about tinting. Have sun screeens now but the windows on now I believe are originals (from the late 40s). Was told tinting would void warranty on windows. 

The house I am in now had it done before I bought it. Two 12' west facing sliding glass door/windows going into the backyard from the living and family rooms. Lots of glass, near floor to ceiling, tinted very dark... made the whole house dark and I hated it. So I removed it. Horrible time consuming job. Then summer came in the Mojave Desert. The setting sun baked that glass on 120 degree days. 5 ton AC couldn't keep up. I wanted the tint back. But a better solution in my situation was to extend the roof 10' for a patio, install pavers where grass and gardens were, then wrap the patio in shade cloth like a Vegas cabana. Windows stay cool, lights way better than the tint. CabanaPatio is a hit. 

Only problem is I blocked the breeze that is so nice in spring and fall when open windows work great here.

The house I am in now had it done before I bought it. Two 12' west facing sliding glass door/windows going into the backyard from the living and family rooms. Lots of glass, near floor to ceiling, tinted very dark... made the whole house dark and I hated it.
Yeah, my house has a few windows and the back glass door tinted by a previous owner. That side of the house is already dark so it just makes it slightly darker. Tint is also a bluish color that you only really can see in lower light.

Yeah, my house has a few windows and the back glass door tinted by a previous owner. That side of the house is already dark so it just makes it slightly darker. Tint is also a bluish color that you only really can see in lower light.
You can get different tints.

Users who are viewing this thread