What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Arkansas high school removes news timeline in yearbook (1 Viewer)

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/20/1029898611/high-school-accused-censorship-rip-out-yearbook-pages-floyd-covid-riot

This seems to cross the line into "bad" censorship.

It's not 100% clear from the article, but it sounds like the school didn't just have the books without those pages, but rather physically ripped the "offending" pages out of the books before distribution.
I would be curious what they considered to be the offending items on those pages, or what the complaint about the bias was.   

I guess I do see bias - I see bias against the mighty Tom Brady by having the KC SB win on there but not TB.   ;)   

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/20/1029898611/high-school-accused-censorship-rip-out-yearbook-pages-floyd-covid-riot

It's not 100% clear from the article, but it sounds like the school didn't just have the books without those pages, but rather physically ripped the "offending" pages out of the books before distribution.

“Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.”

― George Orwell, 1984

So, is the thought that this is more about Covid or Trump?  I’m leaning Trump but it’s not totally clear what their motivation was and/or what is being alleged.

Or, now I’m wondering if it could be a BLM type issue.  I guess any of the 3 are a possibility?  Maybe a mix of the 3?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, is the thought that this is more about Covid or Trump?  I’m leaning Trump but it’s not totally clear what their motivation was and/or what is being alleged.

Or, now I’m wondering if it could be a BLM type issue.  I guess any of the 3 are a possibility?  Maybe a mix of the 3?
It was the most politically divisive year I can remember. That probably had a lot to do with it. It was probably liberal students in a conservative community, where facts seem to be getting in the way of a comforting narrative.

rockaction said:
It was the most politically divisive year I can remember. That probably had a lot to do with it. It was probably liberal students in a conservative community, where facts seem to be getting in the way of a comforting narrative.
Or we can just relax and realize it's a HS yearbook that nobody is going to look at a couple days after last day of school anyway.  

Or we can just relax and realize it's a HS yearbook that nobody is going to look at a couple days after last day of school anyway. 
Not sure who "we" is. I think you seem to be disagreeing to disagree, unless you're agreeing to agree. I can't tell by what you're writing, though.

It seems to me like a conservative town and school board ripped pages out of a yearbook they figured would inflame parents because they didn't like the facts. That was what I was saying. I really took no position about the missing pages of the yearbook. In fact, I didn't think there was much of a thread here, but didn't feel like playing thread police or making crappy comments about somebody taking out a thread on a topic they were interested in.

So, that's my position on the matter. The town should probably have left well enough alone. The Orwell quotes up above are thoroughly laughable and befitting the poster.

Sure seems like somewhere in the middle. We got our yearbooks before school ended that year so that we might obtain signatures and other personalized things. We got them like the last two weeks school was in session. We even had pictures from junior year peppering our senior year yearbook. I know because I have a quasi-mullet in one with jeans that are just a bit too high for the Air Jordans I was wearing.

Yes, I had a horrible sense of dress that would fit right in with Gen Z. I was just ahead of my time!

I was, on the other hand, voted Most Outgoing.

I also was one of the most emotionally shy people you'll ever meet. Such a bad call by the superlative committee (Which was our class that voted. We voted a 5'6" guy best athlete while 6'0" two-sport, three-time MVP me languished somewhere in second, somehow. Somehow that happened...)

I wuz robbed, folks. Nope, you're "Most Outgoing"

Let's make this thread good. Who won a Senior Superlative and what should you have won?

Who has the greatest Senior Superlative story?

Not sure who "we" is. I think you seem to be disagreeing to disagree, unless you're agreeing to agree. I can't tell by what you're writing, though.

It seems to me like a conservative town and school board ripped pages out of a yearbook they figured would inflame parents because they didn't like the facts. That was what I was saying. I really took no position about the missing pages of the yearbook. In fact, I didn't think there was much of a thread here, but didn't feel like playing thread police or making crappy comments about somebody taking out a thread on a topic they were interested in.

So, that's my position on the matter. The town should probably have left well enough alone. The Orwell quotes up above are thoroughly laughable and befitting the poster.
I am in a pissy mood obviously, so my posts might be more random.  

I get what you are saying about the bolded.  my mistake posting as though people here are upset, I guess what I was getting was trying to imagine what people would even be upset with in those two pages.  I figured people would have guesses.  

I am in a pissy mood obviously, so my posts might be more random.  

I get what you are saying about the bolded.  my mistake posting as though people here are upset, I guess what I was getting was trying to imagine what people would even be upset with in those two pages.  I figured people would have guesses.  
I just wrote two long responses but my computer crashed each time. I think you're probably making too much of what people were saying. Only Rambling Wreck seems on the admin side.

I just wrote two long responses but my computer crashed each time. I think you're probably making too much of what people were saying. Only Rambling Wreck seems on the admin side.
Yeah.  Mostly now just trying to figure out what anyone has issue with (not fbgs, people who did it). I am bored and was just trying to put myself in their headspace.  

Yeah.  Mostly now just trying to figure out what anyone has issue with (not fbgs, people who did it). I am bored and was just trying to put myself in their headspace.  
That's what I was writing about. Probably George Floyd and the BLM protests, COVID and the subsequent lockdowns, and the election and then January 6th's insurrection. A conservative, small town would probably find all of those things inflammatory precisely because their "side" looked so bad during all of those things, pretty objectively. Facts, video, everything were unfortunate things for conservatives in all three instances.

I was, on the other hand, voted Most Outgoing.

I also was one of the most emotionally shy people you'll ever meet. Such a bad call by the superlative committee (Which was our class that voted. We voted a 5'6" guy best athlete while 6'0" two-sport, three-time MVP me languished somewhere in second, somehow. Somehow that happened...)

I wuz robbed, folks. Nope, you're "Most Outgoing"

Let's make this thread good. Who won a Senior Superlative and what should you have won?

Who has the greatest Senior Superlative story?
I won most talented. I was lucky to be in a class that did not include Zack de la Rocha (one class ahead of mine) and Will Ferrell (two classes ahead of mine).

I won most talented. I was lucky to be in a class that did not include Zack de la Rocha (one class ahead of mine) and Will Ferrell (two classes ahead of mine).
Nice. Wow. Now that's a high school. I came from a class of eighty. In a really small town in the Northeast. Our superlatives are appetizers where you're from. "Oh, see that superlative athlete over there? He's trying out for the last spot in the glee club in California." 

I think BB just won story time with Zach and Will Ferrell being from his school. That's awesome. Let's see if we can't get some more...

I wonder if Zach was in Inside Out in high school, or if that came after. I had the Inside Out single in high school or boarding school, forget which. 1990 release, actually, so high school. Got it from the local HC/punk store. 

We cannot separate
We cannot cut the cord

We can't deny to relate 
More ignorance we can't afford

We cannot quiet the truth 
We cannot stop
The Undertone 

*Breakdown*

Nice. Wow. Now that's a high school. I came from a class of eighty. In a really small town in the Northeast. Our superlatives are appetizers where you're from. "Oh, see that superlative athlete over there? He's trying out for the last spot in the glee club in California." 
Yeah that's pretty impressive.  And you were in an even smaller school than I.  I think we had 110 in our class?   Most famous person was an OL for the Buccaneers nobody really knew.  

Rich Conway said:

In my school we would have organized some type of walkout or protest.  We had a school-wide walkout in 8th grade because the school banned people from wearing heavy metal shirts.  I didn’t own one at the time, but it pissed me off, so a few of us organized a walkout at 10am on a Tuesday.   We called the media (TV, newspapers, radio stations) and they covered the event.   It was the lead story on the local news that night; the policy was reversed the next day or the day after.  

Good times.

Users who are viewing this thread