What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Sony Michel (1 Viewer)

Matt Waldman to the white courtesy phone... Matt Waldman to the white courtesy phone.

Want Michels' Gap/Zone blocking analysis by one of the best.  Thank you.

What is the price for anyone thinking about taking advantage of the news and moving their Michel share - possible to the Henderson owner? I would for a 2nd but think it might be difficult at that price. For a 3rd I'm more inclined to hold and see things shake out. Thoughts? Michel and a 3 for a 2nd?

What is the price for anyone thinking about taking advantage of the news and moving their Michel share - possible to the Henderson owner? I would for a 2nd but think it might be difficult at that price. For a 3rd I'm more inclined to hold and see things shake out. Thoughts? Michel and a 3 for a 2nd?
I wouldn't buy Michel for a 2nd, but your idea of Michel/3rd for a 2nd seems solid. 

Patriots traded Sony Michel to the Rams in exchange for two draft picks.

Michel started for two seasons in New England after being selected in the first round in 2018. He then lost the starting job to Damien Harris in 2020. In spite of his demotion, 2020 was actually Michel’s best season from an efficiency standpoint. He set career highs in Pro Football Focus’ breakaway percentage and elusive rating metrics, as well as in yards per carry. He also had a career year as a receiver with 2.38 yards per route run. Michel offers the Rams an early down veteran presence as they work through the loss of Cam Akers, and Darrell Henderson’s thumb sprain. It’s also possible that Michel shifts into a more versatile Malcolm Brown-esque role with the Rams, despite being pigeon-holed as an early down runner in New England. Regardless of Michel's exact role, Henderson should maintain significant value as the Rams primary back, with Michel spelling him for stretches. Michel’s departure reiterates Damien Harris' status as the Patriots clear cut starter. It also opens up opportunity for preseason rookie sensation, Rhamondre Stevenson.

- Adam Schefter, Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael has been a tough sell over the years.

In this case it feels like the Henderson owners largely lucked into a lottery ticket, so I don’t know how eager they’ll be to pay something to insure what was a cheap RB1 for them. If Henderson ends up more like a RB2, he was still likely a very cheap lotto ticket that hit. 

if I had Henderson I doubt I’d invest in Michel.

As a Michel owner I’m just hoping for some minor bump or bruise to give Sony a start or 2 so I can get max value. Which is likely a future 2nd, IF that happens.

Yes I see this as more a rise for Harris than a drop for Henderson.
I was already getting higher on Harris based on preseason usage. Harris was dominating touches.

not thrilled about this breaking 3 days before my draft. Hopefully people’s mistrust of all things Pats RBs allows me to get Harris late. He’s not a bad RB4. With Sony gone he’s got Flex appeal, unless Stevenson dominates GL 

I haven't seen this mentioned. Under McVay, the Rams have traditionally done a lot more zone blocking than gap blocking in the running game. At least since Michel got to New England, the Patriots have done a lot more gap blocking than zone blocking. Does anyone know how well Michel does in one vs. the other?

Given that the Rams obviously scouted him before trading for him, I assume this won't be a negative for him, but wondering if it has the potential to be a big positive if he actually performs better in a zone blocking scheme.

I haven't seen this mentioned. Under McVay, the Rams have traditionally done a lot more zone blocking than gap blocking in the running game. At least since Michel got to New England, the Patriots have done a lot more gap blocking than zone blocking. Does anyone know how well Michel does in one vs. the other?

Given that the Rams obviously scouted him before trading for him, I assume this won't be a negative for him, but wondering if it has the potential to be a big positive if he actually performs better in a zone blocking scheme.
I don't have a definitive answer for you, but some people questioned whether Michel would be a good fit in the Rams scheme when his name popped up as a potential trade acquisition when Akers went down. I don't know if those folks had an informed opinion or if they were just taking a guess.

I'd want a lot more than that for Michel. I think a high 2nd makes sense right now. Maybe Michel and a 2 for a 1 if an owner is desperate for a RB.

I think its at least 50-50 Michel is the RB to own on the Rams this season. I think he's worth a wait and see, because its possible Henderson faceplants, and Michel is the starter for arguably the most fantasy RB friendly in the NFL. 

I think its at least 50-50 Michel is the RB to own on the Rams this season. I think he's worth a wait and see, because its possible Henderson faceplants, and Michel is the starter for arguably the most fantasy RB friendly in the NFL. 
I was just thinking this. Henderson is no sure thing.

If he cannot handle a workload, or if the Rams think he can't, then Michel becomes kind of interesting. Maybe the Rams don't think he's a 200+ carry guy. For where Michel will go in redraft, there aren't too many backs going there where you can get to 600 yards and 6 TDs easily. 

As a Michel owner, this is good news, because he gets away from BB a year early. So we get to see a year early if he'll have any long term value. ATL would probably be the #1 spot, but a better team with opportunity as it stands.  

I was just thinking this. Henderson is no sure thing.

If he cannot handle a workload, or if the Rams think he can't, then Michel becomes kind of interesting. Maybe the Rams don't think he's a 200+ carry guy. For where Michel will go in redraft, there aren't too many backs going there where you can get to 600 yards and 6 TDs easily. 

As a Michel owner, this is good news, because he gets away from BB a year early. So we get to see a year early if he'll have any long term value. ATL would probably be the #1 spot, but a better team with opportunity as it stands.  
Even as someone with injury issues, Michel was a 200-250 carry back his first two seasons in NE. He certainly has played the role of a heavy usage back before and has more NFL experience than Henderson. I can't speak to Henderson's skills and abilities (can't say I've seen much of Henderson), but Michel certainly has him beat in experience and workload.

Michel's biggest liability is his balky knee, which at one point was said to be a chronic condition that might not ever go away. From what I remember reading, he's had surgeries to try to make things more manageable, but it became a pain tolerance issue. THIS YEAR, he's been healthy in camp and looking more like he did in college and overall looking a lot better. Maybe his knee got a little better, but his been able to practice a lot more than he did in previous training camps.

That being said, caveat emptor, things could easily swing back to "out with injury" or "hampered by injury" in a moment's notice. But healthy he is a decent producer . . . even if he doesn't provide game changing speed.

Well that's juicy!

They were only together one year,  2015, but it was a good year by Sony and I'd read a few things earlier today ranging from Sony has continued to have a relationship with the coach, Thomas Brown who was a RB in Georiga as well and a lot of speculation his input was a big factor in the trade-which come to think of it is a bit juicy.

For those of you keeping score at home, apparently teams can't agree to trade draft picks they don't currently have. So the trade had to be amended and will end up being a 2022 6th and 2023 4th for Michel.

Former 1st round pick who may be over his injury issues and showed well last year, gets traded to Sean McVay with only Darrell Henderson in the backfield to compete for touches and aside from some chatter the day of the trade, this thread has been silent for 2 weeks?

What am I missing? 🤷‍♂️

Former 1st round pick who may be over his injury issues and showed well last year, gets traded to Sean McVay with only Darrell Henderson in the backfield to compete for touches and aside from some chatter the day of the trade, this thread has been silent for 2 weeks?

What am I missing? 🤷‍♂️
Henderson has a slight edge in demonstrated receiving ability but Michel's rushing production has been clearly better (on a unit basis).  Belichick, being a master manipulator, put out preseason tape this year when Michel's receiving skills had shown marked improvement.  Michel, like Gurley, has an arthritic knee which basically makes him a ticking time bomb.  Having said that, the Rams can probably get at least two good seasons out of Michel IF they decide to push transition of lead back.  I dont know if the carry distribution will be 220/140 or 140/220 this year.  I don't think McVay knows....yet.  

What am I missing? 🤷‍♂️
He’s unlikely to know much of the playbook yet, which can be pretty complex, the coach continues to talk up Henderson as his guy, and I’m not sure it’s possible for Sony to get over his injury since it’s a chronically arthritic knee. Basically the same injury that derailed / ended Gurley’s career. 

I’m not seeing a heavy workload from Sony week 1, and if Henderson shows well, it might keep Sony on the bench more.

I’m not sure Sony will get a ton of carries regardless, because again, that knee could become an issue with a heavy workload. 

Only time will tell what’s what, but McVay keeps saying Henderson is the man. 

Henderson has a slight edge in demonstrated receiving ability but Michel's rushing production has been clearly better (on a unit basis).  Belichick, being a master manipulator, put out preseason tape this year when Michel's receiving skills had shown marked improvement.  Michel, like Gurley, has an arthritic knee which basically makes him a ticking time bomb.  Having said that, the Rams can probably get at least two good seasons out of Michel IF they decide to push transition of lead back.  I dont know if the carry distribution will be 220/140 or 140/220 this year.  I don't think McVay knows....yet.  
Once again, I should have read your post before responding. lol - obviously I agree. :)  

Rams coach Sean McVay said RB Sony Michel is "on track" for Week 1 against the Bears.

Michel's status ultimately comes down to his knowledge of the playbook after being acquired during the final week of camp. If up to speed in that time — he'll have an extra few hours to do so since the Rams don't kick-off until Sunday night — he'll presumably be available in a committee role with Darrell Henderson. Given this recent development, it's possible Michel is eased in at first until he's at peace with McVay's scheme.

SOURCE: Kevin Modesti on Twitter

Sep 6, 2021, 4:33 PM ET

Anybody buying yet? Once the bye weeks start and if a top tier RB goes down then perhaps Sony will give ya something in desperation mode vs. what else is left? He seems to be the highest rated RB on the board and since Fuller is out (moved to IR spot) I have one player to add. Since I only have 3 RB's on this team, kinda makes sense to add Sony vs. a handcuff like Damien Williams, RB CHI since I start Montgomery as my RB 2. 

That being said, Sony has never fully impressed me and he will share unless something strange happens. Not thrilled to pull the trigger on this add.

Anybody buying yet? Once the bye weeks start and if a top tier RB goes down then perhaps Sony will give ya something in desperation mode vs. what else is left? He seems to be the highest rated RB on the board and since Fuller is out (moved to IR spot) I have one player to add. Since I only have 3 RB's on this team, kinda makes sense to add Sony vs. a handcuff like Damien Williams, RB CHI since I start Montgomery as my RB 2. 

That being said, Sony has never fully impressed me and he will share unless something strange happens. Not thrilled to pull the trigger on this add.
I see him getting 1/2 the carries & goal line work.  that's just me though.

This looks like Henderson's job. 50%? Sony didn't get ONE carry last week and the Rams were whoopin butt.
This was the intention as Sony will get eased back into a role for sure. I can see him scoring a TD every other week and another 40-50 yards with upside. Netting 10 points in a pinch.

Scooby1974 said:
This looks like Henderson's job. 50%? Sony didn't get ONE carry last week and the Rams were whoopin butt.
They were lining up Robert Woods in the backfield on some plays. Seems likely there's a role for Sony once he's up to speed with the offense. 

They were lining up Robert Woods in the backfield on some plays. Seems likely there's a role for Sony once he's up to speed with the offense. 
A roll, yes. But I don't think it's going to be 50% unless the Rams are up big and trying to run out the clock every game. 

A roll, yes. But I don't think it's going to be 50% unless the Rams are up big and trying to run out the clock every game. 
I'm not sure about 50% either, I just mean to say I'm not taking too much from week 1 usage considering how late Michel got there. 

I'm not sure about 50% either, I just mean to say I'm not taking too much from week 1 usage considering how late Michel got there. 
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/17/rams-darrell-henderson-sony-michel-sean-mcvay-week-2-plan/

don’t expect much from week 2 either. 

“Though it’s possible Michel’s role will grow as the season progresses, that’s not expected to be the case in Week 2 against the Colts. Sean McVay indicated Friday that Henderson will still be the starter and the Rams want to get him into the flow of the game after he had few opportunities in the first half of the season opener.

McVay said nothing to suggest Michel will be any more involved this week than he was against the Bears, so for those who own Michel in fantasy, this is another week to stash him on the bench.

“I wouldn’t say that,” McVay said of whether a bigger role is planned for Michel this week. “I think you have confidence that you can utilize him if need be, but Darrell I thought did a great job and Darrell’s going to start the game. We want to really get him into the flow of it – and that was really a large part of it too. The first half didn’t really even represent him getting into the flow of the game because we had so few touches in the run game, but you do want to be able to say, Hey, if we’re able to sustain drives, be able to get some things off, could you expect to see Sony? That’s a possibility, but Darrell’s a guy that’s done a really nice job and I was really pleased with how he got stronger as the game went on.”

Henderson looked like a workhorse back when Cam Akers went down and nothing has changed to suggest he won’t remain the RB1 in Los Angeles moving forward. It’ll take an injury or a significant decline in production to bump him from that spot.”

I’m just glad I was finally able to unload Sony in dynasty. Took me 3 years. Exhausting. 

I find The Shark Pool Forum extremely helpful for current information and perspectives moving forward that allow team managers like myself to make informed decisions. Once Fuller went on IR for a spell it opens up a bench spot. FBG see Sony as the next best RB for the ROS vs. taking D Williams, RB CHI handcuff to Montgomery or rolling with Winston as the second QB, or a flyer on Juwan Johnson, TE/WR NO. These are the decisions we all make based upon YOUR feedback along with FBG's projections. 

I think I will pass on Sony at least for now. Although I am thin at RB at this particular league.

I find The Shark Pool Forum extremely helpful for current information and perspectives moving forward that allow team managers like myself to make informed decisions. Once Fuller went on IR for a spell it opens up a bench spot. FBG see Sony as the next best RB for the ROS vs. taking D Williams, RB CHI handcuff to Montgomery or rolling with Winston as the second QB, or a flyer on Juwan Johnson, TE/WR NO. These are the decisions we all make based upon YOUR feedback along with FBG's projections. 

I think I will pass on Sony at least for now. Although I am thin at RB at this particular league.
I’d rather have Damian Williams in CHI.

if Monty misses time he’s very capable of a 3-down role. 

If I was thin at RB I’d be all over Sony, but I’m higher on him then most.  Sony will be more involved as time goes on and I’m betting he does better than Henderson with his opportunities.  Even if that doesn’t happen, I’d rather have the back up in the Rams offense than the Bears.  Rams are super bowl contenders with a top tier offense and I want a piece, even if it’s a lottery ticket.  Remember what CJ Anderson did with the Rams several years ago?  It could happen again but with Sony being the league winner.  Henderson’s week 1 certainly keeps him on top of the depth chart for now but it’s a long season.  

I have Winston and Juwan on a lot of teams as well so I like those players as a stash if I’m weaker at those spots or as possible replacements (injury or trade). 

Rams coach Sean McVay was evasive when asked if Sony Michel would have a bigger role for Week 2 after playing just three snaps in the opener. 

McVay blamed Michel's nearly nonexistent involvement on "game flow" and the Rams' long touchdown passes ending drives early before declining to guarantee Michel will see more work in Week 2. “You have confidence that you can utilize him, if need be, but Darrell Henderson, I thought, did a great job,” McVay said of Week 1. “Darrell’s going to start the game. We want to really get him into the flow of it." He then expanded even further. “You do want to be able to say, ‘Hey, if we’re able to sustain drives, be able to get some things off, could you expect to see Sony?’ That’s a possibility, but Darrell’s a guy that’s done a really nice job and I was really pleased with how he got stronger as the game went on.” It's a totally different tune than McVay was singing over the summer, when he continually expressed skepticism about Henderson's ability to stay healthy. It appears McVay is going to give Henderson the chance to prove he can stay on the field, removing Michel from FLEX consideration for the time being. 

RELATED: 

Darrell Henderson

SOURCE: Los Angeles Times 

Sep 18, 2021, 4:25 PM ET

Seems like Henderson likely out today and Sony to get the start.  I grabbed him off WW, and have no intention of starting him against the Buccs, but could be worth something in weeks ahead.  Especially since with CMC going out I will have an extra bench spot for a bit.

I only have Michel or Z Moss as my RB2 in a deep league........  think I'm going with Michel (prob 1 of 20 people in the country starting him today - wish me luck)

Seems like Henderson likely out today and Sony to get the start.  I grabbed him off WW, and have no intention of starting him against the Buccs, but could be worth something in weeks ahead.  Especially since with CMC going out I will have an extra bench spot for a bit.
Oh yeah, Sony was really good last year and Henderson has both always had trouble with health and with staying in McVay's good graces. Sony will probably struggle against the Bucs front 7 but he should be rostered in every league. 

Sony Michel had 20 rushes for 67 yards in the Rams' Week 3 win against the Bucs, adding three receptions for 12 yards. 

Michel dominated backfield snaps and workload with Darrell Henderson (ribs) out. Fake Funk saw a mere one touch and barely saw the field in the second half. Michel looked reasonably effective against the league's toughest run defense, managing one rush of 15 yards and another of 11. His four targets weren't hateful either. If Henderson remains sidelined, Michel shapes up as a viable RB2 play next week against an Arizona defense that gave up 134 yards to James Robinson in Week 3.

I only have Michel or Z Moss as my RB2 in a deep league........  think I'm going with Michel (prob 1 of 20 people in the country starting him today - wish me luck)

to my benefit - I switched at the last minute & started Moss ......  but I did like Michel's showing & happy to have him (and Henderson) on my team/ as a RB2 consideration weekly moving forward 

Sony Michel rushed three times for 11 yards in the Rams' Week 4 loss to the Cardinals, also losing a fumble. 

It was a disastrous day for Michel in Darrell Henderson's return from a rib injury, as his second quarter cough up positioned the Cardinals for a 21-10 lead. He failed to notch another touch as the Rams spent the remainder of the game in comeback mode. Not even Rams coach Sean McVay trusts Henderson to stay healthy, but he is clearly comfortable with risking nicks and bruises and keeping Henderson locked in as the clear-cut RB1 for however long he can stay on the field. Michel will be off the Week 5 FLEX radar against the Seahawks on Thursday Night Football.

The fumble didn't help, obviously, but it's also true that when you are playing from behind, Henderson is the obvious choice over Michel.  So the score alone would tend to dictate a heavier emphasis on Henderson.

The balance might be different when the Rams are playing with a lead.  And I'm certainly trying to hold on as long as possible in case of a Henderson injury, in which case Michel could be a league winner.

Users who are viewing this thread