What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Sony Michel (1 Viewer)

With news of Brady talking retirement sooner rather than later, I am increasingly more intrigued by Sony for dynasty purposes.

Zack Cox‏Verified account @ZackCoxNESN

FollowFollow @ZackCoxNESN

Sony Michel just had to take a lap after fumbling in 11-on-11s. Ball security was a big issue for him at Georgia and something he'll have to clean up before the season.

7:52 AM - 28 Jul 2018

Zack Cox‏Verified account @ZackCoxNESN

FollowFollow @ZackCoxNESN

Sony Michel just had to take a lap after fumbling in 11-on-11s. Ball security was a big issue for him at Georgia and something he'll have to clean up before the season.

7:52 AM - 28 Jul 2018
he fumbled twice yesterday. not off to a good start. I honestly dont see it happening for him

he fumbled twice yesterday. not off to a good start. I honestly dont see it happening for him
Will be interesting to follow. Given Michel already having fumbling issues and Seattle sounding pretty confident in Carson being their lead back, it makes on wonder what in the world 2 of the best franchies of the decade were thinking with those awful draft picks.

Will be interesting to follow. Given Michel already having fumbling issues and Seattle sounding pretty confident in Carson being their lead back, it makes on wonder what in the world 2 of the best franchies of the decade were thinking with those awful draft picks.
I am sure it won't be long until Patriots fans accuse Belichick of drafting him just to annoy Brady with his fumbles. 

Yes both picks seriously confused me. Didnt like Michels landing spot at all, and I didnt even see him as the rb3 in this draft (and definitely not Penny rb2). Both franchises draft pretty well, so time will tell

I am sure it won't be long until Patriots fans accuse Belichick of drafting him just to annoy Brady with his fumbles. 
:lmao: true 

that and Belichick passed on a qb in the first 3 rounds just to spite Kraft

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes both picks seriously confused me. Didnt like Michels landing spot at all, and I didnt even see him as the rb3 in this draft (and definitely not Penny rb2). Both franchises draft pretty well, so time will tell
I actually don't really understand what the Seahawks have been doing with their picks. Since 2012, the Seahawks have only had two 1st round picks. They spent them on a RB and a OG. And it isn't because they have been on New England style trade back path collecting lots of future picks- they don't even have a 2nd rounder next year as they already have traded it away.

I concur, Sony Michel was a head scratching pick. I don't see Michel as better than Guice even when Guice is on crack.   This pick is shockingly bad, fumble problems tend to follow a player. I'll be surprised if he get's more run than Burkhead and Hill.

Wait, we already know those picks were awful?

Wait, we already know those picks were awful?
Yes. They were RBs taken in the 1st round. They weren’t overwhelmingly incredible prospects like Zeke, Barkley. They were drafted by teams in dire need of help at really valuable positions like DE, CB, OT. Seattle was especially bad since it was only their 2nd first round pick 2012. 

downgrade Burkhead if he doesn't.
Not neccessary. NE never just gives the ball to a rookie right out the gate. Burkhead is proven and a stud in his own right. Early season it'll be all Burkhead then Michel could carve a role out as the season progresses. 

Yes. They were RBs taken in the 1st round. They weren’t overwhelmingly incredible prospects like Zeke, Barkley. They were drafted by teams in dire need of help at really valuable positions like DE, CB, OT. Seattle was especially bad since it was only their 2nd first round pick 2012. 
this. while I hold the opinion the players themselves will under perform and will be bad fantasy picks, the picks themselves were bad NFL picks as each team had worse needs than rb. 

even if both RBS turn out to be good fantasy RBS. the pick themselves were likely better used elsewhere. 

I bet Seattle thought they were picking round 2, which would explain the Penny selection 

Not neccessary. NE never just gives the ball to a rookie right out the gate. Burkhead is proven and a stud in his own right. Early season it'll be all Burkhead then Michel could carve a role out as the season progresses. 
One back everyone is forgetting about us Gillislee...

One back everyone is forgetting about us Gillislee...
Yeah the thing about Burkhead is he doesn't tip NE hand on what play they are running. He is the perfect RB for that system. He has also had great success and he's earned the coaches trust. 

Today sounded much more positive.

FOXBORO — Early in Sunday’s practice, Tom Brady rolled to his right, dumped off a short screen pass to Sony Michel, and watched the talented Patriots rookie do the rest.

Michel’s instincts and agility helped him evade the initial wave of defenders. He bounced outside, accelerating quickly, and the crowd of thousands cheered as Michel glided down the sideline.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots/2018/07/pats_rb_sony_michel_shows_big_play_potential

He's no Burkhead. Even if he is he's a rookie and putting the ball on the ground. 
IMHO Michel has 10 times the talent of Burkhead...and pretty much every NFL talent evaluator would tell you the same.

Burkhead is a nice role player...nothing more.

Lol at siting talent evaluators as your basis. You know what talent evaluators in the NFL do? They take the safe route and jump on big school prospects and echo everybody else. That's a great way to keep that cushy gig they have. 

I'll leave now though. Carry on. Michel is going to take over that backfield as a rookie. My bad. 

He's no Burkhead. Even if he is he's a rookie and putting the ball on the ground. 
Are we talking about a player with five years of NFL experience, is 28 years old, that has TOTALED 639 rushing yards?

Oh.

When talking about a player like Michel and the Pats you should only look at the big picture (which is his talent)...BB has never under-utilized talent on the offensive-side of things...no one leaves the Pats and a couple of years later you end up saying BB should have used him more...if you are a stud like Moss, Gronk, Edelman, Welker, Troy Brown kind of for a few years or Dillon he is going to use you a ton and you are going to put up legit numbers...if you are not a stud/high end talent he is going to use you as some type of role-player or use you based on game situations (and often these two over-lap)...these are players like Blount, Lewis, Maroney, Faulk, Branch, BGJE, Patten, Gaffney, Amendola, Hogan, Givens, Fauria, Graham and Watson...that group has provided fantasy owners a lot of headaches over the years... so my point about Michel is do not worry about anything other than whether you think talent-wise he belongs in the first group or the second...if you are sold on his talent grab him...if not than pass on him...it is that simple...evaluating this kid should be based 100% on talent because that will ultimately dictate how much BB uses him... 

When talking about a player like Michel and the Pats you should only look at the big picture (which is his talent)...BB has never under-utilized talent on the offensive-side of things...no one leaves the Pats and a couple of years later you end up saying BB should have used him more...if you are a stud like Moss, Gronk, Edelman, Welker, Troy Brown kind of for a few years or Dillon he is going to use you a ton and you are going to put up legit numbers...if you are not a stud/high end talent he is going use you as some type of role-player or use you based on game situations (and often these two over-lap)...these are players like Blount, Lewis, Maroney, Faulk, Branch, BGJE, Patten, Gaffney, Amendola, Hogan, Givens, Fauria, Graham and Watson...that group has provided fantasy owners a lot of headaches over the years... so my point about Michel is do not worry about anything other than whether you think talent-wise he belongs in the first group or the second...if you are sold on his talent grab him...if not than pass on him...it is that simple...evaluating this kid should be based 100% on talent because that will ultimately dictate how much BB uses him... 
And we have some idea what Belichick thinks about his talent.

Given his injury history and proclivity to put the bill on the turf, people are seriously overvaluing this kid. No question he’s talented, but for redraft leagues, I’ll take Burkhead all day long

Given his injury history and proclivity to put the bill on the turf, people are seriously overvaluing this kid. No question he’s talented, but for redraft leagues, I’ll take Burkhead all day long
Sure, redraft maybe you take the much cheaper Burkhead. I’m one who was avoiding Michel all spring due to his fumbling issues, but that number is not as alarming if you look at just the last couple years. Total of 5 fumbles the last 2 years, 2 of which were lost. Seems like he got better at it already. Sure, when you look at it on a per carry basis it’s alarming, but the last 2 years were so terrible. 308 carries, 31 rec, 71 kickoffs, 5 fumbles, 2 lost. Even his sophomore season he only lost 1 fumble. I think people are seriously overvaluing this negative. 

Sure, redraft maybe you take the much cheaper Burkhead. I’m one who was avoiding Michel all spring due to his fumbling issues, but that number is not as alarming if you look at just the last couple years. Total of 5 fumbles the last 2 years, 2 of which were lost. Seems like he got better at it already. Sure, when you look at it on a per carry basis it’s alarming, but the last 2 years were so terrible. 308 carries, 31 rec, 71 kickoffs, 5 fumbles, 2 lost. Even his sophomore season he only lost 1 fumble. I think people are seriously overvaluing this negative. 
I have no dog in this fight, but it's weird to focus on "fumbles lost."  Whether or not a fumble ends up "lost" is basically a random event.   A fumble is a fumble - once it happens, there is a meaningful chance the fumble gets recovered by the D.  Small sample size, so it's weird to overly fixate on a guy having a small percentage of fumbles that end up lost....

That’s a great post and I didn’t know that was the case 

I have no dog in this fight, but it's weird to focus on "fumbles lost."  Whether or not a fumble ends up "lost" is basically a random event.   A fumble is a fumble - once it happens, there is a meaningful chance the fumble gets recovered by the D.  Small sample size, so it's weird to overly fixate on a guy having a small percentage of fumbles that end up lost....
I’m more focusing on the decrease in fumbles his last 2 years, and I agree with the point you’re taking issue with. I’m trying to find a cut up with his lowlights but not having any luck. 

If you look upthread somewhere I’m on the avoid train (probably up to the draft) because of his fumbling. I’ve changed my tune a bit simply because I think the upside is worth the risk. I don’t know if there is any sort of positive correlation to lost fumble % so you’re absolutely right to view a fumble as a fumble. 

I also am curious to find some footage of his fumbles- some may be attributed to a botched hand off, lax security as he gets hit out of bounds, or simply a good defenseive play. I don’t see him carrying the ball way out away from his body, or failing to cover it up through traffic. Perhaps someone, @Biabreakable maybe, who has watched and charted his carries a little closer could chime in on this. 

Without looking up his college stats, I know Adrian Peterson fumbled a lot in the nfl, but it was worth the risk to give him carries. Michel could be in the same boat. 

One final arguement: pretty much everyone has been burned in the last decade by a pats rb. Lots of people want to avoid Sony michel because of this. Therefore, michel will have a transcendent season, just to further screw more people. Case closed, draft with confidence!!!

Gillislee, Hill, and White? Yeah, I'll take my chances with Michel, thanks. 
I think Hill is a big x-factor and here is why...if he makes the team it has to be in the goal-line short yardage role...he is not a special teamer and with Michel, White and Burkhead on the team the other roles are covered...if Hill is there I could easily see him getting somewhere around 12 TDS...if he is not there than those TDs are gonna go elsewhere and my guess is it is either Michel or Burkhead or a combo of both...that could really inflate their values...Gillislee is still around and if he makes it he could grab that role but after last year I am very hesitant about him...

I think Hill is a big x-factor and here is why...if he makes the team it has to be in the goal-line short yardage role...he is not a special teamer and with Michel, White and Burkhead on the team the other roles are covered...if Hill is there I could easily see him getting somewhere around 12 TDS...if he is not there than those TDs are gonna go elsewhere and my guess is it is either Michel or Burkhead or a combo of both...that could really inflate their values...Gillislee is still around and if he makes it he could grab that role but after last year I am very hesitant about him...
If Hill makes the team wouldn't either him or Burkhead be inactive each week?

Bolden will be active since he's a special team player, which would make 4 RBs active (White, Michel, Burkhead/Hill. Bolden) and 5 if you count FB James Develin. I can't see them dressing 5 RBs and a FB each week.

I think people put a little too much stock into the notion of the Patriots using a dedicated TD hammer RB. Before Blount did it in 2016, which I suspect had much to do with Gronk starting only 6 games and playing in only 8, the last time they had a double digits TD guy was 2012.

I think 2013-2017 is more representative of how things will shake out TD wise in NE going forward.

They always rush for tons of TDs but they will get split up between two-three guys equally. With some incidental Brady or FB plunges from the one.

IOW temper expectations on Hill/Gillislee if they make the team. And temper expectations on individual rushing TD numbers in general.

If Hill makes the team wouldn't either him or Burkhead be inactive each week?

Bolden will be active since he's a special team player, which would make 4 RBs active (White, Michel, Burkhead/Hill. Bolden) and 5 if you count FB James Develin. I can't see them dressing 5 RBs and a FB each week.
No way Burkhead is inactive...they gave him decent $ and they love him...I guess Hill could be inactive but that would surprise me...just get the feeling he either plays or gets cut...Develin just got decent $ as well so he isn't going anywhere...while I know they value Bolden I don't think he's a Slater-type of special teams lock...I see Develin, White, Burkhead and Michel as your definites...what they do with that last spot (I am assuming there will be 1 more) could really have an effect on things...

Users who are viewing this thread