What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U2 - Community rankings - FIN - #4 Sunday Bloody Sunday, #3 - One, #2 - Bad, #1 - Where the Streets Have No Name -Spotify links, thanks to Krista4 (4 Viewers)

That's me - "the most interesting ranker in the thread". ;)

Just really dig the song. They set out to create an edgy dance tune, tongue in cheek, and pretty much nailed it, retaining their own idioms in the process. I much prefer things that groove to things that don't (which a lot of their catalog doesn't), so this is right up my alley.

I'm also at #20 on The 3 Sunrises - they really musically captured the essence of warmth from the sun on that one, it's a great pick me up.
username checks out. 

Discotheque is the kind of song that is usually up my alley but something about it is just a little off - the groove doesn't quite land for me.  I prefer the wall of sound from Gone over Discotheque from this album for example. 

username checks out. 

Discotheque is the kind of song that is usually up my alley but something about it is just a little off - the groove doesn't quite land for me.  I prefer the wall of sound from Gone over Discotheque from this album for example. 
One problem with it, and the reason I call it a pseudo dance tune, is they throw in too many breaks. You can get away with one short break in a dance tune, but more than that and you're disrupting the groove/flow and it becomes undancable - people have to sort of go limp on the floor during the breaks.

(54) - > 66 - Moment of Surrender

Vulture.com ranking and comment -37/218 - Bono creates this vast and vivid landscape in “Moment of Surrender” laden with multiple layers of symbolism and significance. It is profound and overwhelming, but in the live show it was absolutely transcendent: It was Bono testifying, the band as choir, Edge executing those heartrending melodies on keyboard and then on guitar. The 360° tour traditionally closed with this song, and it was the perfect thing to have in your head as you walked out of the show, not at all dissimilar to what it felt like to have “40” echoing in the streets once upon a time.

Original Comment - A solid album track. Just once again, something missing to make it better. Over or under produced. Loses points for "ATM Machine” or should I say Automatic Teller Machine Machine. Goodbye No Line on the Horizon, you are the weakest Link

Total Points - 397.80

Rankers - 13

Average Points per rank - 30.60 (Approximately a 44th rank). 

Ranks  - 66th on average points per ranker

Highest Rank - 5

Lowest Rank - 169

Previous Rank - 54 > 66

Special Version Requested - None

Ranking Comments - I think this is the first song to have two top 10 rankings with a 5 and a 8. 4 others in the top 50. 4 more in the top 100. It falls from last time, but not that far.

(94) - > 65 - Like a Song

(94) - > 65 - Like a Song Remastered

Vulture.com ranking and comment -125/218 - This feels like U2 trying to offer commentary on the state of the music business at the time — “And in leather, lace, and chains / We stake our claim / Revolution once again” — but it’s all kind of wince-inducing and unnecessarily dramatic, even for someone who was on their side. The bridge is kind of interesting, and after basically not being able to hear Larry Mullen Jr. on the previous track (“New Year’s Day”), it’s good to hear him shine here. Mostly forgettable, though.

Original Comment - Good album track. This seems to be the part of the run down where we either get solid album tracks that do their job or tracks that are polarizing. 

Total Points - 400.45

Rankers - 13

Average Points per rank - 30.80 (Approximately a 44th rank). 

Ranks  - 64th on average points per ranker

Highest Rank - 10

Lowest Rank - 155

Previous Rank - 94 > 65

Special Version Requested - (94) - > 65 - Like a Song Remastered

Ranking Comments - 3 top 20 rankings, and another at 23 lift this song considerably from last time. 6 more between 46 and 70 round out a solid ranking. Interesting that the remastered version was requested by at least 3 people.  

(134) - > 64 - Please

(134) - > 64 - Please single version

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 110/218 - The genius of “Please” is in the last two verses, where the beats pause and the vocals gently layer — like a friend putting a hand on your shoulder and looking you in the eye in an attempt to get you to be honest with yourself. The remainder of the song feels light years away from the first half, and maybe that’s meant to be intentional. The cool detachment of the early verses open up to an impassioned pleading. It’s going to sound like a broken record to state that, like almost everything on Pop, no one in U2 thinks this track was finished.

Original Comment - After the 3 previous songs on the album, this sounds like With or Without you. In reality its a nice enough song, more album track than single, but a rare album highlight. This one sharply divided us with two rankings around the 200 area, one at 23 and I am sitting in the middle at 105

Total Points - 405.95

Rankers - 10

Average Points per rank - 40.595 (Approximately a 34th rank). 

Ranks  - 40th on average points per ranker

Highest Rank - 14

Lowest Rank - 192

Previous Rank - 134 > 64

Special Version Requested - ((134) - > 64 - Please single version

Ranking Comments - 5 top 25 rankings, 3 more between 26 and 42 get this song much higher than last time, despite only 10 votes. I did rank it, but im not one of the top 8 voters, so would love to hear why this one works for others

Next up we have the last song from outside the top 100. It was in fact outside the top 150. It is the second biggest riser after The Troubles rose 99 points from 197 to 98. I think we know what it is, but we see it next. The other 2 have 17 and 18 rankers and we start to see the points ramp up.  Our #62 has 432 points, or #60 has 515 points. As a point of reference our #50 has 663 points, #40 has 851 points, our #30 has 1164 points, our #20 has 1646 points, our #10 has 2365 points and our #1 has 3346 points. 

That's me - "the most interesting ranker in the thread". ;)

Just really dig the song. They set out to create an edgy pseudo dance tune, tongue in cheek, and pretty much nailed it, retaining their own idioms in the process. I much prefer things that groove to things that don't (which a lot of their catalog doesn't), so this is right up my alley.

I'm also at #20 on The 3 Sunrises - they really musically captured the essence of warmth from the sun on that one, it's a great pick me up. The sound of it hearkens back to the Boy and October phase (which I like).
Can’t like this enough!!   This makes me want to listen enough to feel the groove!!!

Vulture.com ranking and comment -125/218 - This feels like U2 trying to offer commentary on the state of the music business at the time — “And in leather, lace, and chains / We stake our claim / Revolution once again” — but it’s all kind of wince-inducing and unnecessarily dramatic, even for someone who was on their side. The bridge is kind of interesting, and after basically not being able to hear Larry Mullen Jr. on the previous track (“New Year’s Day”), it’s good to hear him shine here. Mostly forgettable, though.

Original Comment - Good album track. This seems to be the part of the run down where we either get solid album tracks that do their job or tracks that are polarizing. 

Total Points - 400.45

Rankers - 13

Highest Rank - 10

Lowest Rank - 155

Previous Rank - 94 > 65

Ranking Comments - 3 top 20 rankings, and another at 23 lift this song considerably from last time. 6 more between 46 and 70 round out a solid ranking. Interesting that the remastered version was requested by at least 3 people.  
Mrs APK was 13 on this, I’m the high ranked at 10.  Have always loved this song, from the first time I ever heard the album.   Like I’ve shared elsewhere, War was my favorite U2 album for a long long time.  I love the way this one starts……the drumbeat…..the music floating in….then Bono belting out “Like a song I have to sing…..”

SONGS 64-69  (click on the link for the full background)

69-The Three Sunrises  for many regions, the 1st introduction was on the “Wide Awake in America” EP.   Never been played live.  Original title was "Spirits of the Rising Sun" (& also "African Sunrise").
Could have a biblical meaning:    "And on the third day, he rose from the Dead".

68 - Numb  Edge started the song/lyrics after his divorce during AB & was called "Down All the Days".  Brought back during Zooropa sessions where they re-worked it & switched out Bono & replaced w Edge pseudo rapping.  Iconic/humorous video where Edge has to keep a straight face.....has been parodied many times. 

67 - Discotheque  1st single from 1997’s Pop.  Popular song in dance clubs, but alienated many of U2's fans.  Video featured the band dressed up like the Village People.

66 - Moment of Surrender  7 & 1/2 minute song about addiction.  (The term “moment of surrender” is Alcoholics Anonymous lingo for when an addict admits being "powerless over alcohol" & needs help.)
The band improvised the version that ended up on the album out of thin air in 1 take.

65 - Like a Song  intended as a message to those who believed that the band was too worthy, sincere & not "punk" enough.  Was only played live once on 26 Feb 1983 in Dundee, Scotland

64 - Please About sectarian conflict in Northern Ireland.  Iconic photo for the single features the pictures of 4 Northern Irish politicians —  It was a direct message for them to ‘get up off their knees’ & hasten the peace process which was grinding along slowly.   The beat is rooted in a loop of Mullen’s drums from the sessions for another Pop tune, “If God Will Send His Angels.”   Bono recorded his vocals in 1 take.

Total Points - 400.45

Rankers - 13

Highest Rank - 10

Lowest Rank - 155

Previous Rank - 94 > 65

I’m the 23. I just love this era of U2, when their songs had urgency, rawness and a revolutionary spirit. 

#27 ranking checking in with a frowney face that this one dropped.  Missed my top 25 only due to "ATM machine."  Feel like I hold my breath throughout this long song due to its beauty (except when it hits "ATM machine," when I laugh and then hold my breath again).  I'm still in a lot of sorrow over wikkid so not going to have a ton to say right now.  Hopefully one of the rankers in the top 10 will give this the write-up it deserves.

#27 ranking checking in with a frowney face that this one dropped.  Missed my top 25 only due to "ATM machine."  Feel like I hold my breath throughout this long song due to its beauty (except when it hits "ATM machine," when I laugh and then hold my breath again).  I'm still in a lot of sorrow over wikkid so not going to have a ton to say right now.  Hopefully one of the rankers in the top 10 will give this the write-up it deserves.
For personal reasons that I’ve shared before in here, I want to love this song.   But…..it just doesn’t resonate with me.  The verses are fairly powerful — but the chorus does nothing for me, it leaves me numb-ish.  Which is in contrast to other songs in the same vein.

That said, it should have been somewhere on my list and it wasn’t.  It’s a really good song, and if I didn’t want to love it so much, I would probably really like it.  (If that makes any sense, which upon re-reading it, hmmmm it might not)

For personal reasons that I’ve shared before in here, I want to love this song.   But…..it just doesn’t resonate with me.  The verses are fairly powerful — but the chorus does nothing for me, it leaves me numb-ish.  Which is in contrast to other songs in the same vein.

That said, it should have been somewhere on my list and it wasn’t.  It’s a really good song, and if I didn’t want to love it so much, I would probably really like it.  (If that makes any sense, which upon re-reading it, hmmmm it might not)
I think it makes perfect sense.

Total Points - 400.45

Rankers - 13

Highest Rank - 10

Lowest Rank - 155

Previous Rank - 94 > 65

I didn't rank this but should have. Call it 82. 

John Maddens Lunchbox said:
(54) - > 66 - Moment of Surrender

Vulture.com ranking and comment -37/218 - Bono creates this vast and vivid landscape in “Moment of Surrender” laden with multiple layers of symbolism and significance. It is profound and overwhelming, but in the live show it was absolutely transcendent: It was Bono testifying, the band as choir, Edge executing those heartrending melodies on keyboard and then on guitar. The 360° tour traditionally closed with this song, and it was the perfect thing to have in your head as you walked out of the show, not at all dissimilar to what it felt like to have “40” echoing in the streets once upon a time.

Original Comment - A solid album track. Just once again, something missing to make it better. Over or under produced. Loses points for "ATM Machine” or should I say Automatic Teller Machine Machine. Goodbye No Line on the Horizon, you are the weakest Link

Total Points - 397.80

Rankers - 13

Average Points per rank - 30.60 (Approximately a 44th rank). 

Ranks  - 66th on average points per ranker

Highest Rank - 5

Lowest Rank - 169

Previous Rank - 54 > 66

Ranking Comments - I think this is the first song to have two top 10 rankings with a 5 and a 8. 4 others in the top 50. 4 more in the top 100. It falls from last time, but not that far.
This one must be hit or miss. I remember Rolling Stone raving about it

For me, it's a below average song for them. Kind of dull and melodramatic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had hoped to post a lot on my trip but lack of time and phone service have pretty much prevented that. Will post lots of interesting stuff when I get back. 

It will please @krista4 that I did an impromptu pub crawl in Temple Bar and ended up hearing live versions of Hey Jude in fours bars in a row. That’s the only Beatles song I have heard performed so far. 

Plenty of na’s to go around, especially from the well lubricates crowd. The second most played song has been John Denver’s Take Me Home Country Roads, which seems like an odd fit. The performers seem to all love it. 

Love it (all the Hey Judes, that is)!  

I've been to six continents and 70+ countries, and Country Roads is without doubt the most universal song.  Have heard it everywhere.  My favorite was on the Orient Express from Bangkok to Singapore, in the piano car, when people from all over the world sang it together.  We were the only four who came from the US (though one of our group had just moved here from Brazil), so mostly European and Asian countries represented.  There was a guy we had been calling "The World's Happiest Japanese Man" because every time we saw him, he had the biggest smile you could imagine.  He didn't speak a lick of English and none of us knew Japanese, so we communicated with lots of laughing and smiling with him.  I guess I should say he didn't speak a lick of English, except Country Roads.  He clapped and grinned and sang along with every word!  :heart:  

(161) - > 63- Mofo

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 35/218 - T-Bone Burnett has said that all rock and roll is about “Daaaddy!” And while that’s definitely there in Bono’s case, the overarching influence that his mother’s young death left on him is what likely makes U2 a less aggressive, more empathetic concern. “Mofo” is the genius track of the album, this naked confessional deconstructing one of the most reviled pejoratives, hiding under a layer of beats and sound effects. “It contains the most exposed moment in the hardest song on the record,” Bono said, and he’s right. There are lyrics slipped in between beats that will slice tiny daggers into your heart: “Lookin’ for to fill that God-shaped hole,” “Mother, you left and made me someone / Now I’m still a child but no one tells me no,” or “Lookin’ for a sound that’s gonna drown out the world.” One could argue that there’s no way Bono would have been nearly that direct if this was a typical U2 rock-and-roll acoustic number — that he needed to hide behind the boom-cha for this particular confession at this time of his life. Even then, his smoke-ravaged voice makes it sound like he’s hanging on to the edge of a cliff by his fingernails, even when he falls into falsetto … and then, this was the opening song of the show for the entire PopMart tour! The insanity is, sometimes, astounding.

Original Comment - At least they are trying here. Doesnt always work, especially the last half. First half of song is so much better. All 4 of us were ok-meh about it, but vulture really loved it. 

Total Points - 428.55

Rankers - 13

Average Points per rank - 32.92 (Approximately a 42nd rank). 

Ranks  - 57th on average points per ranker

Highest Rank - 13

Lowest Rank - 186

Previous Rank - 161 > 63

Ranking Comments - This one rises a massive 98 spots, only 1 behind The Troubles jump of 99 positions. The 13th highest rank is a bit lower than we will see the rest of the way, We also have a 23 and 25, but the 8 rankings between 27 and 63 lift this much higher than last time. We then have a massive drop to the last 2 rankings of 164 and 186.

(81) - > 62- MLK

Vulture.com ranking and comment -69/218 - Like “40” on War, U2 closed this record with another hymn-cum-lullaby. The impact of a visit to the Chicago Peace Museum, transitioning “Pride” from a song about Ronald Reagan into a song about the civil rights movement and the sense of self-respect it inspired in African-Americans, mixed with the story of Bono meeting Bob Dylan for the first time, and talking about Memphis with him — all of these things created “MLK.” It’s an uplifting piece of music and a genuine tribute, even if it might have felt a bit ham-fisted back in the day. It would grow to fit its boots in the live show, most notably during the Joshua Tree tour in 1987, where the theme of the song made so much more sense.

Comment - Great little track that is effective,  but simple. Bono is in fine voice as he gently pays tribute. We only have 5-6 more tracks that do not have a top 50 ranking from one of us. Weirdly as a statistical anomaly the highest of these lands at #41. We have very few tracks, 12 in total, but all in the top 45, that end up ranked higher than any of us have ranked it. 

Total Points - 431.55

Rankers - 17

Average Points per rank - 25.39 (Approximately a 82nd rank). 

Ranks  - 60th on average points per ranker

Highest Rank - 9

Lowest Rank - 189

Previous Rank - 81 > 62

Ranking Comments - Makes a nice rose from last time, probably on the back of those who love TUF. Has three top 30 ranks of 9, 17 and 29. 4 other top 50 entries. 6 more rankings between 56 and 82. With 17 rankers we are starting to see almost half the rankers contributing. 

(47) - > 61- October

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 119/218 - If you didn’t know the backstory of how hard it was for U2 to write and record their second album, you just had to wait until you got to the title track. It is gray and brittle, the sound of frozen tree branches and faded autumn leaves trapped in the first layer of ice on a pond. Bono’s vocals are achingly bleak, and the Edge comes in with that delicate yet assertive piano line. He hadn’t played piano since he was a child. “I really don’t know where that ‘October’ piece came from,” he said in 2006, “other than just sitting at a piano and that’s where it brought me: into this quite stark, quite gray, but beautiful European place.”

Original Comment - This is a song none of us hate, most of us like, but only one of us put in their top 50. Vulture seems indifferent to it. Me, it has Nice piano work. Well paced, sung with restraint. It’s actually quite beautiful. I am second highest on it. 

Total Points - 460.8

Rankers - 18

Average Points per rank - 25.60 (Approximately a 81st rank). 

Ranks  - 50th on average points per ranker

Highest Rank - 14

Lowest Rank - 140

Previous Rank - 47 > 61

Ranking Comments - With only 4 rankers last time this fell into the top 50 cause no one hated it. This time it does draw a record, so far, 18 rankers but again no one except the #14 ranker loves it. There are 11 rankings between 30 and 70. I think it is more suited to this slot. 

For our next three we start seeing the better tracks from our less regarded albums, one from the 90s and one from the 80s. We will also see our first track from the big 2 albums, a little later than last time but not much. In case you are wondering the first one from the other big album is the very next track after that, but that will be in the following batch of 3. One of the next 3 falls from the top 30, the second one to do so after A Celebration way back at 89.

We all know roughly what the bottom tracks from AB and TJT are. Any guesses for the first ones this time around? Lets just say there wont be any surprises, despite us approaching Bullet the Blue Skys ranking from last time. 

(47) - > 61- October

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 119/218 - If you didn’t know the backstory of how hard it was for U2 to write and record their second album, you just had to wait until you got to the title track. It is gray and brittle, the sound of frozen tree branches and faded autumn leaves trapped in the first layer of ice on a pond. Bono’s vocals are achingly bleak, and the Edge comes in with that delicate yet assertive piano line. He hadn’t played piano since he was a child. “I really don’t know where that ‘October’ piece came from,” he said in 2006, “other than just sitting at a piano and that’s where it brought me: into this quite stark, quite gray, but beautiful European place.”

Original Comment - This is a song none of us hate, most of us like, but only one of us put in their top 50. Vulture seems indifferent to it. Me, it has Nice piano work. Well paced, sung with restraint. It’s actually quite beautiful. I am second highest on it. 

Total Points - 460.8

Rankers - 18

Average Points per rank - 25.60 (Approximately a 81st rank). 

Ranks  - 50th on average points per ranker

Highest Rank - 14

Lowest Rank - 140

Previous Rank - 47 > 61

Ranking Comments - With only 4 rankers last time this fell into the top 50 cause no one hated it. This time it does draw a record, so far, 18 rankers but again no one except the #14 ranker loves it. There are 11 rankings between 30 and 70. I think it is more suited to this slot. 
I’m the 14. And yes, I love October. Vulture used the phrase “achingly bleak” and I think it fits. Though it’s the title track, October admittedly feels more like an interlude. But since I first heard the song as a young teen, it has always tapped into my most intense emotions: sorrow and longing.

In high school and early college, I played in a reasonably successful SoCal Christian band (there was a whole circuit in LA/OC during the late 80s early 90s) and we did a fair number of U2 covers over the years. October was one of them and it always felt like a privilege to play it. As an aside, my wife and I never had a daughter. But if we had, October held the top slot on my very short list for names. In part because of how this simple song stirred my emotions.

So yes, I’m not surprised that I’m a bit of an outlier on this one, but am happy to see that it has 18 rankers. 

On 4/18/2022 at 3:13 AM, John Maddens Lunchbox said:
This might be the last teaser before we start. There was a track that finished between 151 and 228 that will rise massively this time. 

It only has 13 rankings, but 11 of them are between 20 and 63. It was not in the top half of rankings for any of the original 4 rankers. 
Expand  

OK, my serious guess is that it is either Heartland or Mofo.  (Sorry for multiple guesses, simey.)

:bowtie:  

So far weve only heard from mofo “haters” not all those that ranked it high. We had none last time, but a lot this time. Would have to hear from them. 

Any guesses on the first JT or AB songs to hit this time around?

Without looking back at where things ranked last time, I'm going Exit as my TJT sentimental pick since it didn't make my list.  My slight upset pick is Red Hill Mining Town.

I would like AB to be The Fly, but don't think it will be.  I'm going with Zoo Station as my lowest pick other than The Fly, and my slight upset pick is Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around the World.

Without looking back at where things ranked last time, I'm going Exit as my TJT sentimental pick since it didn't make my list.  My slight upset pick is Red Hill Mining Town.

I would like AB to be The Fly, but don't think it will be.  I'm going with Zoo Station as my lowest pick other than The Fly, and my slight upset pick is Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around the World.
Exit is in my top 10. But the first TJT to appear is likely that or Mothers.

For AB I would guess Tryin’ or Acrobat. 

Well I do, too, but that's why I called it an upset.  I think your guess below is more likely, but I was trying to go off the board a little with the "upsets".
I didn't see much love for the song on the first go round of this thing, so it could be an upset.  Exit would be my alternate answer for TJT.   The real answer will probably be Bullet The Blue Sky.   :lol:    Hey Pip!

After losing Mofo, we still have two songs ranked in the 90s from last time. None in the 80s, but 5 from the 70s are still around as well. 

Which makes the biggest jump left?

Those are all good choices.  TJT has to be Exit…..right?  For AB it seems like people really like to ridicule Trying to Throw Your Arms…..for good reason.

Mothers of the Disappeared and Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around the World.
Nice.  IMO the last two songs of TJT don’t belong on the album.   I rarely listen to them and used to simply stop the album after song 9.  Edit to add, I realize others love those songs, and don’t mean any offense.   Just never liked either song that much.  

Users who are viewing this thread