What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is COVID here forever? (1 Viewer)

Is COVID here forever?

• Yes

Votes: 54 96.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

Sabertooth

Footballguy
Is COVID the new normal at this point?  I was talking with my dad who is very careful regarding COVID.  He seems to think “we will put all of this behind us.”   I disagree and think it’s here forever like Anthrax or Rotovirus.  

Last edited by a moderator:
its been here forever, it will be here forever

will new variants be bad? probably - influenza has new variants every now and then that are deadly as do other viruses

Wait a second, have 100% of posters in this forum ever agreed on anything????????
I noticed that too - I will say that the only people who I think could conceivably vote No is somebody who doesn’t believe it’s real.

The thing I would like to see if leadership set some metrics to get us totally back to “normal”.  If we (essentially) all agree that it’s here to stay and we all agree that we should go back to pre-Covid behavior* at some point, let’s try to define what that looks like so we have a goal.  I doubt it will do much good but having a target may get more of us on the same page.  Right now with how open-ended it all seems leads to frustration and anger in some.  Again, I realize this is probably a pipe dream but one can hope.

I noticed that too - I will say that the only people who I think could conceivably vote No is somebody who doesn’t believe it’s real.

The thing I would like to see if leadership set some metrics to get us totally back to “normal”.  If we (essentially) all agree that it’s here to stay and we all agree that we should go back to pre-Covid behavior* at some point, let’s try to define what that looks like so we have a goal.  I doubt it will do much good but having a target may get more of us on the same page.  Right now with how open-ended it all seems leads to frustration and anger in some.  Again, I realize this is probably a pipe dream but one can hope.
I am the lone 'no' vote as of now, and it's not because I don't believe this whole thing is real, but there is a bit of nuance in my vote.  Coronaviruses have been around for a while.  I think with a high enough vaccination rate, people catching it and getting natural immunity, and less contagious/deadly mutations in the future that we could see it all but go away in the sense that we don't need to take the precautions we have for the past year and a half.  That said, I think we will continue to see more strains like what we are dealing with off and on into the future.

I am the lone 'no' vote as of now, and it's not because I don't believe this whole thing is real, but there is a bit of nuance in my vote.  Coronaviruses have been around for a while.  I think with a high enough vaccination rate, people catching it and getting natural immunity, and less contagious/deadly mutations in the future that we could see it all but go away in the sense that we don't need to take the precautions we have for the past year and a half.  That said, I think we will continue to see more strains like what we are dealing with off and on into the future.

Freaking contrarian :rolleyes:

So basically what you are saying is that you just didnt understand the question.

There is of course a great deal of debate on whether the universe will exist forever or has a "shelf life".   So even if we believe humans will somehow carry the virus off of earth so it survives when the planet is consumed by the sun, it is still iffy that the universe will actually be around forever.   

Sorry couldn't help myself!

One thing I wonder about: We often hear people say stuff like, "There are 65K influenza deaths each year and we don't change our lives too drastically because of that." And that's true ... but I wonder if, post-pandemic, we'll still be as willing to ignore those deaths. It's a little like the thought experiment of, if we had never invented cars and you introduced them tomorrow as this amazing invention that, oh by the way, will kill 50K Americans each year, no one would consider that acceptable. I just feel like the fact that Covid has made us so much more conscious of deaths from respiratory viruses means we're not going to just go back to accepting the status quo.

To be clear, I'm being descriptive, not prescriptive. I have no idea what we should do. Nor do I know what "not accepting the status quo" will look like. Presumably lots of people will continue wearing masks to some extent. I also imagine that there will be much stronger social pressure not to "tough it out" and come into work when you're feeling under the weather. I'm sure we could all come up with a bunch of other changes that will become the new way of doing business. 

All of which is to say I think the "return to normal" will be very gradual and, in some ways, incomplete. Which I know wasn't really the question, just something I've been thinking about lately.

As for the virus itself, the historical precedent suggests pretty strongly that it will weaken over time and become a seasonal annoyance.

COVID, along with obesity and drugs is going to do a real number on our average life expectancy in this country.  

Dickies said:
Don’t overthink it. Sure, we’ll handle it better over time, but that’s not what the OP asked. At the very best, covid will end up like measles, mumps, polio, and a whole slew of vaccine preventable illnesses. But those all still exist because of maldistribution of resources and pockets of vaccine refusal. Despite greater availability of SARS-CoV-2 vaccines, anti-science political propaganda will ensure covid’s a keeper.

ignatiusjreilly said:
One thing I wonder about: We often hear people say stuff like, "There are 65K influenza deaths each year and we don't change our lives too drastically because of that." And that's true ... but I wonder if, post-pandemic, we'll still be as willing to ignore those deaths. It's a little like the thought experiment of, if we had never invented cars and you introduced them tomorrow as this amazing invention that, oh by the way, will kill 50K Americans each year, no one would consider that acceptable. I just feel like the fact that Covid has made us so much more conscious of deaths from respiratory viruses means we're not going to just go back to accepting the status quo.

To be clear, I'm being descriptive, not prescriptive. I have no idea what we should do. Nor do I know what "not accepting the status quo" will look like. Presumably lots of people will continue wearing masks to some extent. I also imagine that there will be much stronger social pressure not to "tough it out" and come into work when you're feeling under the weather. I'm sure we could all come up with a bunch of other changes that will become the new way of doing business. 

All of which is to say I think the "return to normal" will be very gradual and, in some ways, incomplete. Which I know wasn't really the question, just something I've been thinking about lately.

As for the virus itself, the historical precedent suggests pretty strongly that it will weaken over time and become a seasonal annoyance.
Yes, we should adapt our behavior. The priority should be removing barriers to vaccination, along with better infection hygiene, not limited to discouraging working while sick, washing hands more often and *gasp* occasional mask use. Moreover, we should improve workplaces with revamped ventilation and less obligatory on-campus personnel. And for the love of god, no more buffets.

Also, FTR, 65K deaths is a really, really bad flu season - we typically experience about 35K deaths/season due to flu in the US.

Yes, we should adapt our behavior. The priority should be removing barriers to vaccination, along with better infection hygiene, not limited to discouraging working while sick, washing hands more often and *gasp* occasional mask use. Moreover, we should improve workplaces with revamped ventilation and less obligatory on-campus personnel. And for the love of god, no more buffets.

Also, FTR, 65K deaths is a really, really bad flu season - we typically experience about 35K deaths/season due to flu in the US.
I agree 100% with discouraging working while sick. I know of 3 hospitals in the Miami area that changed their sick policy about 15 years ago, so that the first 3 days of sick leave came out of vacation days. The purpose was to discourage abuse, but some people who don't wanna lose their vacation days come in with respiratory illnesses. 

As many as 300,000 deaths were attributable to obesity before the pandemic. It's probably a little higher after COVID, as many younger people who have died were obese and had  diagnoses that often occur with obesity, such as diabetes.  I'm not sure if the pandemic will result in a healthier lifestyle and a reduction in diabetes and other disorders. Behavior is hard to change, and the increase in obesity is a worldwide problem. Buffets may also increase obesity. 

Users who are viewing this thread