What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Russia vs. Ukraine Discussion - Invasion has begun *** (2 Viewers)

I mean it sounds like the Russian army isn't just dominating and the Russian people might not be just thrilled with this idea.  I think give it another day or two and they roll over though and everyone goes back to tik Tok
Made me laugh but not happening 

I mean it sounds like the Russian army isn't just dominating and the Russian people might not be just thrilled with this idea.  I think give it another day or two and they roll over though and everyone goes back to tik Tok
If you've been following this at all, there is no way Ukraine will roll over.  They recently started handing out semi-automatic rifles to their civilian population and have been planning for this possibility for 8 years.  This insurgency will not go quickly and may never get done.  Kiev will likely fall, but that will not spell the end of Ukraine as an independent nation.

Meanwhile our global economy is about to take a massive hit and it will be felt everywhere.  I'm sure the vast majority of Americans will be bored with the story in a few days, but there is also the possibility it proceeds even further into WW3 or causes a chain of events (Taiwan, Israel, etc.) that lead us there eventually.

This insurgency will not go quickly and may never get done.  Kiev will likely fall, but that will not spell the end of Ukraine as an independent nation.
Good chance.  Ukraine is about the size of what, Texas?  Not easy to control a place that big with 100,000 unenthusiastic troops.  Ukraine could make this a real PITA if they stick with it.  It will cost them horribly, however.  Putin has a little bit of Hitler in him - the eye towards ethnic history and the nursing of ancient grudges - well Hitler also was a big fan of brutal reprisals in conquered lands.  I suspect Putin will resort to this as well if the Ukrainians don't roll over.

There has been talk that China & Iran are watching how the West responds to this to see if their aims at Taiwan and Israel could be achieved.
yeah that’s imaginative 

good for buns & eyeballs though from the 4th estate perspective 

yeah that’s imaginative 

good for buns & eyeballs though from the 4th estate perspective 
Yes, Israel is very far-fetched and an Arab world pipe dream.

Taiwan's situation has been tense for quite a while now and China has explicitly stated they want to assimilate the island fully into China.  The difference with them is that we WILL send US troops in on an altercation with Taiwan as would probably Australia, Japan and South Korea.

If you are like me and a little vague on what sanctioning a bank actually accomplishes, this is a fascinating tweet:

https://twitter.com/esaravalle/status/1496939883595812876/photo/3

When the US sanctions a bank, it can order other banks to stop any dealings, including intermediary services. The Treasury department named a Latvian bank as an "institution of primary money laundering".  Bank went under in 13 days. 

Yes, Israel is very far-fetched and an Arab world pipe dream.

Taiwan's situation has been tense for quite a while now and China has explicitly stated they want to assimilate the island fully into China.  The difference with them is that we WILL send US troops in on an altercation with Taiwan as would probably Australia, Japan and South Korea.
probably the main difference in these three situations is purely chutzpah 

centibillionaire Lex Luther has it

closest thing to Bond villain evil we’ll ever see (hopefully) 

If you are like me and a little vague on what sanctioning a bank actually accomplishes, this is a fascinating tweet:

https://twitter.com/esaravalle/status/1496939883595812876/photo/3

When the US sanctions a bank, it can order other banks to stop any dealings, including intermediary services. The Treasury department named a Latvian bank as an "institution of primary money laundering".  Bank went under in 13 days. 
This is why all the people bent out of shape over SWIFT are mistaken....that is but a layer of communication between international financial institutions.  You go after the institutions themselves.

Russian assets nosedived as military attacks across Ukraine prompted emergency central bank action and additional sanctions from the U.S., wiping out almost $200 billion in stock-market value and roughly a third of the sovereign debt’s value.

The ruble sank to a record low, the cost of insuring Russian debt against default soared to the highest since 2009, and stocks ended the main trading session down 33% -- their biggest-ever retreat. The Bank of Russia said it will intervene in the foreign exchange market for the first time in years and take measures to tame volatility.

I can't help but think that things might go really bad for Russia.

What is the best case scenario here for them?  This isn't going to be like Afghanistan where we watch the Taliban just steam roll in and take over and nobody does a thing about it.  Maybe Putin thought it would go like that.

What is the best case scenario here for them?  This isn't going to be like Afghanistan where we watch the Taliban just steam roll in and take over and nobody does a thing about it.  Maybe Putin thought it would go like that.
Ukrainians aren’t going to go without a fight, and with pretty much everyone in the area not named Belarus opposing this, he’s not going to have a good time. Of course, he might get some relief from China, but they’re not about to go out on a limb for him, either. In essence, a lot of people are dying for no good reason.

Before this conflict (or maybe after), was it relatively safe for an American to vacation in Russia?
My sister just entered NATO airspace out of Moscow after flying around the north side of Belarus.  She's been several times now and never had any problems.  Including this visit.  She loves it there.

Haven't talked to her yet, but thru my BIL it sounds like St. Petersburg and Moscow were still calm and low-risk, if somber.  She did say the other day that she'd stopped talking English in public, just in case there was some whacko around. 

Still pretty relieved she's out of there though.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1496986321143107586?t=TMo4miihP2c3BKXms26_tQ&s=19

13 Ukrainian soldiers defending snake Island in the Black Sea. 

Reportedly audio from Snake Island in Black Sea:

-This is a Russian military ship. I suggest you lay down your weapons and surrender to avoid bloodshed and unnecessary victims. Otherwise we will open fire on you. 

-Russian military ship, go #### yourself. 

They were all killed
https://twitter.com/Navy_Hipple/status/1497004425080102918?t=hRluEH1NbTLDvfjpfKU0tQ&s=19

Russian assets nosedived as military attacks across Ukraine prompted emergency central bank action and additional sanctions from the U.S., wiping out almost $200 billion in stock-market value and roughly a third of the sovereign debt’s value.

The ruble sank to a record low, the cost of insuring Russian debt against default soared to the highest since 2009, and stocks ended the main trading session down 33% -- their biggest-ever retreat. The Bank of Russia said it will intervene in the foreign exchange market for the first time in years and take measures to tame volatility.
And it's going to get worse for them.....

https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1496986321143107586?t=TMo4miihP2c3BKXms26_tQ&s=19

13 Ukrainian soldiers defending snake Island in the Black Sea. 

Reportedly audio from Snake Island in Black Sea:

-This is a Russian military ship. I suggest you lay down your weapons and surrender to avoid bloodshed and unnecessary victims. Otherwise we will open fire on you. 

-Russian military ship, go #### yourself. 

They were all killed
yeah well #### Putin & remember Masada eh

war sucks

Great. Except you know the oligarchs shorted the whole thing. Plus the time it takes for sanctions to implement, they'll be moved. As usual normal people will suffer while the rich in Russia figured out a way to get richer. 

Video filmed by someone on the Ground of what appears to be a Russian Aircraft getting shot down by Air Defense Systems over Kyiv about 30 minutes ago. https://t.co/lQBRGGbI5X

🥳
Forbes reporter Tweeted it was a bomber (TU-22 or IL-76)

”Ukrainian air-defenses and fighters are wreaking havoc. Russia has lost as many as seven helicopters, an Su-24, an Su-25 and reportedly two Su-30s. And now something BIG just got hit over Kyiv. This happened after Russia's bomber net went active.”

No one is suggesting the Russians don’t have air superiority but it’s encouraging. Russian military training is ####, most of the troops are 1-year conscripts, they don’t have strong NCOs.

This could start to go badly for them though obviously Day 1 had they had overwhelming superiority.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a tragedy this is. States not being able to determine their own democratic destiny because of the meddling hands of an auto/klepto/plutocratic country larger and stronger than it is never a sight a Westerner should want to see, nor should they have to apologize for their sympathies to the fledgling democratic state. 

Bad couple of days for democracy, but you all know this. I'm just typing...

What happens when an individual (Putin) is personally sanctioned? Is that like calling for their arrest and charging them with war crimes?

What happens when an individual (Putin) is personally sanctioned? Is that like calling for their arrest and charging them with war crimes?
Depends on the sanction.  Economically, countries are basically saying "your money is no good here...pound sand".

Imagine an economic situation where all you have is the ruble and a stockpile of gold.  Even if they can find a foreign entity willing to deal in gold for goods that is going to be miserable.
Another issue is that because gold is heavy, dense, and hard to move, that will also cost money to actually physically move it. There’s also the issues of storage and security.

There are different sanctions (freezing assets, travel bans, etc.), and there are degrees of sanctions (It's one thing if the US sanctions you , quite another if everyone sanctions you).

To answer your question, it is not charging them with war crimes. In this case, with the people already named, it is cutting them off from the Western world. Any assets they have in US or EU banks are frozen, they cannot travel to Europe, or the US. Russians who enjoy the Western world, and here are a LOT of them, would feel the sting. Russian baby tourism is a thing. There are a lot of Russians who have  dirty money tied up in US and European real estate, and have their kids in posh private schools outside Russia. Sanctions put that all at risk. See my post above about bank sanctions.

Putin doesn't have an account at JP Morgan, he doesn't party every weekend in Monaco or London or Miami. No one knows where his money is, I don't really care if he is sanctioned or not. 

I am in favor of the sanctions, but not because I think they will make Putin withdraw, they won't save Ukraine. 

Imagine an economic situation where all you have is the ruble and a stockpile of gold.  Even if they can find a foreign entity willing to deal in gold for goods that is going to be miserable.
Saw a guy on TV who said that Putin's moves will turn Russia into Pakistan, a 3rd world country with nukes.

massraider said:
Saw a guy on TV who said that Putin's moves will turn Russia into Pakistan, a 3rd world country with nukes.
Thats likely not wrong. Hopefully the people of Russia have an impact here. 

It’s amazing how accurate a large majority of the intel that has been released by the State Department has been.

If we start hearing about further plans of Putin to go after a NATO country….ohh boy. 

According to a leaked draft of the new sanctions agreed by EU leaders, all members of the Duma, the Russian security council and any Belarusian officials in the military and ministry of defence who “facilitated” the invasion of Ukraine will be subject to travel bans and asset freezes, the Guardian’s Daniel Boffey reports.

The previous sanctions hit the 351 Duma members who had supported recognition by Russia of the self-proclaimed republics in Luhansk and Donetsk.

There is a proposal to enlarge the listing criteria for sanctioning individuals as well to “better capture other forms of support to the regime, including oligarchs”.

Two additional banks will be subject to sanctions: Alfa bank and Otkritie, and there will be a prohibition on EU financial service providers lending to eight companies, ranging from the owners of seaports to automobile manufacturers.

There is also a proposal to prohibit new deposits of over €100,000 in EU banks by Russian nationals.

Foreign ministers will meet later this afternoon to approve the draft text.
EU second round of sanctions.  Going hard after the Duma, and Alfa bank, two important steps, IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread