What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How 'bout them Reds! (4 Viewers)

Whoa This is the biggest one in years... I too was shocked at the return but calming down it might make some more sense. We didn't trade Dunn or BP or EE -- whew...

I'm guilty of being attached to Kearns' potential and what he was back in 2002 at the age of 22. Ditto Lopez and his 2005 breakout. In reality they may be average starters with quickly escalating salaries.

Kearns career high is 387 AB in 2005, 18HR and 67RBI Career .358 OBP. He's never come within 60 pts of his sweet 2002 rookie season (.407 OBP and .907 OPS). Trading your best defensive OF is a bit odd given the current defensive mantra.

Lopez certainly had much higher value last offseason. He's a career .745 OPS guy with questionable defense and a rising salary.

Can't say I know the two BP guys from Adam, but Majewski has a career .688 OPS over 107IP. And he's cheap for a while. Bray looks interesting, cheap and young.

Clayton is fodder and irrelevant other than a stopgap SS for 2006.

I'm still not sure why you wouldn't deal Lopez + Kearns separately.

Salary freedom in 2007?? Lopez + Kearns would have been a $10M hit in 2007. If this $10M is redeployed to a #2 starter and a pen arm then we've got something.

Now how to get rid of the KGJ/Milton/Larue $25M deadweight anchor in 2007.

Plan has to be getting Mays out of the rotation. Biggest weakness by far now.

This should keep DenO + EE in the plans for years to come.

-fe

Something from the best Reds forum on the net:

"Fans always analyze trades in very black and white terms. The look at the players involved, decide which players are better and that's that. Very rarely do people truly analyze how trade affects the overall SITUATION.

I LOVED this trade. I mean, LOVED it.

I don't love it because I think Majewski is superior baseball player to Kearns. Not in the least. But I love it because of what it shows me.

I am a firm believer that it is difficult to impossible to rebuild a losing team with the same players that have been losing for years. I don't want to delve too deeply into the "losing culture" theory, but I do think it has some merit. It's just hard for a new GM/owner to make the necessary changes to the franchise if the main characters remain the same.

Nothing envigorates a franchise more than young, energetic players. Yes, we lost Kearns, but basically, we gained Deno. He's always been there, but for the first time, he is an actual part of this team. I absolutely think you need to include his name EVERY time you talk about this trade.

The relievers we got aren't incredible, but they are both much better than what we've had and much YOUNGER than what we've had. Those should be two bullpen slots that we can rely on for the next few years.

There was always something about Felo I didn't like. I think it was what was between his ears. For a guy that was occasionally brilliant, he had some unreal mental lapses that shouldn't affect a player of his age.

Don't you see the parallel? Both Lopez and Kearns were once SUPERSTARS of the Reds future. Neither was bust by any means. But then again, neither se the world on fire. What you have in Kearns and Lopez are two player sthat have peaked. They can both certainly maintain their current level for many years, but neither is going to be a consistent all-start. All in all, you were looking at two average to above average major leaguers that will probably have one or two years of near all-star level play (Lopez may have already had his career year).

I'm not saying that Kearns and Lopez were "losers" or "cancers" or anything of the sort. But the bottom line is that when you have a puzzle that doesn't look right, you simply MUST try some new pieces.

People have this view of Kearns and Lopez as being these fantastic up and coming youngsters. That ship has sailed. They are what they are.

And what are the Reds now?

IMO, a better TEAM.

Good work Wayne."

Very good points and I agree.

-fe

It was a bad trade no matter how anyone wants to spin it. Kearns/Lopez should have fetched more/better than what they got. Period.
In my experience anyone Bowden trades away is good. :hophead:

So you trade away Kearns and Lopez for bullpen help and still let Milton pitch to Beltran with the bases loaded and two outs in the 7th

:loco:

So you trade away Kearns and Lopez for bullpen help and still let Milton pitch to Beltran with the bases loaded and two outs in the 7th

:loco:
:wall: Not to mention the batter before he walked living la vida loco or whatever his name is on 4 straight pitches and his stuff looked awful.

I guess this is what we get for having someone who had a 57-71 career as our pitching coach.

Interesting stat.

Since the trade, Dunn is batting .474.

After looking at his numbers I think he's changed his approach. Since the beginning of the month he is walking much less and being more aggressive at the plate for hits. He's only walked 5 times this month. 1 BB every 12.6 ABs.

For his career , he averages 1 BB every 5.9 ABs.

Less walks, more hits. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting stat.

After looking at his numbers I think he's changed his approach. Since the beginning of the month he is walking much less and being more aggressive at the plate for hits. He's only walked 5 times this month. 1 BB every 12.6 ABs.

Less walks, more hits. :thumbup:
Does this coincide with being in the 2 spot ahead of Griffey?

Interesting stat.

After looking at his numbers I think he's changed his approach.  Since the beginning of the month he is walking much less and being more aggressive at the plate for hits.  He's only walked 5 times this month.  1 BB every 12.6 ABs.

Less walks, more hits.   :thumbup:
Does this coincide with being in the 2 spot ahead of Griffey?
Partially, I believe Dunn hit 5th in the order for the first game against the Rockies last week. Every game since though he's been hitting 2nd.I can't remember how often he was hitting 2nd before the all star break, but it doesn't seem like it was a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Reds were saved by a 2 hour rain delay.

Before that it was ALL Mets.
I actually expected the Mets to come out stronger after the rain delay. It was the Mets bullpen vs. the Reds. They got too comfortable, I'll take the win.

For 15 bucks a year you can stream any game on MLB.com, listen to games you missed later, etc.

Listening to the game right now at work. :thumbup:

anyone following the game this afternoon?

does Glavine typically fall apart after 5 innings?

:popcorn:
Unfortunately the Reds also fall apart when they get the bases loaded. :hot:

yes.....the bad news...

going extra innings in a day game following a night game where they used 7 pitchers = bullpen disaster.

Local radio hosts and callers are acting like the sky is falling.

The Reds are 5-2 since the trade, losing those two games against the NL's best team.

Yes, Majewski has been a dissapointment. But let's all just calm down a little.

Local radio hosts and callers are acting like the sky is falling.

The Reds are 5-2 since the trade, losing those two games against the NL's best team.

Yes, Majewski has been a dissapointment. But let's all just calm down a little.
I agree. We are on the winning end of a record since the break, and last time I checked we were still in first place for the wild card.I think Majewski will come around. He has to know about the fan reaction to the trade, and I'm sure he'd love to do his best. The first couple pitching appearance are the roughest, I'm holding out hope at least.

Users who are viewing this thread