What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Great Works Draft (2 Viewers)

Last edited by a moderator:
15 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 4 Anonymous Users)

10 Members: Fennis, Abrantes, ScottNorwood, Hoart Petterson, Postradamus, Bob Lee Swagger, timschochet, TidesofWar, BobbyLayne, the moops

:X You got some poetry or acting performances for us? :confused:

Four Point Plays:

Driving Miss Daisy

Brighton Beach Memoirs

HMS Pinafore

The Mousetrap

The Music Man

The Odd Couple

Driving Miss Daisy is a well written drama, bittersweet and funny, and sad as well. It gives us a glimpse of a lost world, and how it evolved. The movie was very good as well, mostly due to the fine performances.

Brighton Beach Memoirs is one of Neil Simon's most personal plays. Unlike the other two plays of this trilogy, the Simon character is not the star, instead it is the composite characters of his brother and father. Simon grew up in Brooklyn very close to his future scriptwriting cohort on Your Show of Shows Woody Allen, and their memoirs are as a result somewhat similar.

HMS Pinafore is an inferior musical to those in the 3 point grouping, but it is placed here because of it's influence, which is far greater. Gilbert and Sullivan effectively transfered the popularity of the 19th century music hall to the stage, and so created the musical theatre. This being their greatest and most prominent work, it deserves special consideration.

The Mousetrap is the typically brilliant Agatha Christie whodunnit. Along with Cards on The Table and Witness for the Prosecution, these are not great theatre by any means, but they are fun, expertly performed and executed productions.

I personally do not enjoy The Music Man nearly as much as the three point musicals, but I recognize that it retains a certain iconic significance above those productions: it is the most "American" of musicals, and like HMS Pinafore, deserves recognition for this significance.

The Odd Couple is one of Simon's comic masterpieces and an iconic part of Twentieth century theatre.

10 Members: Fennis, Abrantes, ScottNorwood, Hoart Petterson, Postradamus, Bob Lee Swagger, timschochet, TidesofWar, BobbyLayne, the moops

:X You got some poetry or acting performances for us? :confused:
get bent.I have a very rough poetry prelim, I guess I'll post it now just to get some discussion, but I have yet to read some of them and these definitely have a bias for those I've read and enjoyed...so these will change, perhaps drastically

Poem tiers

Tier 1

The Iliad – Homer

Divine Comedy - Dante Alighieri

The Odyssey – Homer

Paradise Lost - John Milton

The Aeneid – Virgil

The Nibelungenlied

Sonnet 18 - William Shakespeare

Beowulf

The Waste Land - T.S. Eliot

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Tier 2

Jabberwocky - Lewis Carol

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock - T.S. Eliot

The Raven - Edgar Allan Poe

The Second Coming - William Butler Yeats

Funeral Blues - W.H. Auden

Sonnet 116 -William Shakespeare

The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Because I Could Not Stop For Death - Emily Dickinson

The Road Not Taken - Robert Frost

Song of Myself - Walt Whitman

Tier 3

The Bhagavad Gita

A Nation's Strength - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don Juan - Lord Byron

The New Colossus - Emma Lazarus

When Lilacs Last in the Door-yard Bloom'd - Walt Whitman

If - Rudyard Kipling

Epic of Gilgamesh

O Captain! My Captain! - Walt Whitman

Poem on the Lisbon Disaster - Voltaire

Annabel Lee - Edgar Allan Poe

Tier 4

Nirvana - Charles Bukowski

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night - Dylan Thomas

You Are the Macrocosm – Rumi

The Duino Elegies - Rainer Marie Rilke

Howl - Allen Ginsberg

In Flanders Field - John McRae

First They Came - Pastor Martin Niemöller

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening - Robert Frost

Team Guapo’s Poems

For Whom the Bell Tolls - John Donne

The Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer

I hate to add to the pathetic whines that we've been privy to this evening, but I have to mention...

most of these "poems" don't even rhyme.

My last list for tonight:

Five Point Plays:

Volpone

La Vida Es Sueno

Arcadia

True West

L' Misanthrope

The Skin of Our Teeth

I have neither seen nor read any of these plays. Here's what they have in common:

1. They are all highly respected dramas.

2. They are all considered very influential.

3. The playwrights involved are considered to be among the best in all of theatre.

Thus, though they are in the 4th tier based upon the better recognized and respected competition, they belong at the top of this tier.

Last edited by a moderator:
MisfitBlondes said:

:hey: You got some poetry or acting performances for us? :popcorn:
get bent.
:bow: I can't believe you agreed to do acting performances. :hey:
no fear.
I'll trade you some high marks in Compositions for high marks in Acting Performances. :lmao:
That's how this thing works right?

:lmao: You got some poetry or acting performances for us? :popcorn:
get bent.I have a very rough poetry prelim, I guess I'll post it now just to get some discussion, but I have yet to read some of them and these definitely have a bias for those I've read and enjoyed...so these will change, perhaps drastically

Poem tiers

Tier 1

The Iliad – Homer

Divine Comedy - Dante Alighieri

The Odyssey – Homer

Paradise Lost - John Milton

The Aeneid – Virgil

The Nibelungenlied

Sonnet 18 - William Shakespeare

Beowulf

The Waste Land - T.S. Eliot

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Tier 2

Jabberwocky - Lewis Carol

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock - T.S. Eliot

The Raven - Edgar Allan Poe

The Second Coming - William Butler Yeats

Funeral Blues - W.H. Auden

Sonnet 116 -William Shakespeare

The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Because I Could Not Stop For Death - Emily Dickinson

The Road Not Taken - Robert Frost

Song of Myself - Walt Whitman

Tier 3

The Bhagavad Gita

A Nation's Strength - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don Juan - Lord Byron

The New Colossus - Emma Lazarus

When Lilacs Last in the Door-yard Bloom'd - Walt Whitman

If - Rudyard Kipling

Epic of Gilgamesh

O Captain! My Captain! - Walt Whitman

Poem on the Lisbon Disaster - Voltaire

Annabel Lee - Edgar Allan Poe

Tier 4

Nirvana - Charles Bukowski

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night - Dylan Thomas

You Are the Macrocosm – Rumi

The Duino Elegies - Rainer Marie Rilke

Howl - Allen Ginsberg

In Flanders Field - John McRae

First They Came - Pastor Martin Niemöller

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening - Robert Frost

Team Guapo’s Poems

Nicely done. I don't see anything to argue with here other than the Frost. Might just be personal preference, but I don't see how "Stopping By Woods..." could be Tier 4 and Road Not Taken be Tier 2. If anything I would switch the two.I'd also like to see J. Alfred Prufrock in Tier 1, but I can't see anything there I'd drop down to 2 in its place.

The Canterbury Tales is obviously 1st tier. At least 18 points, possibly higher.For Whom the Bell Tolls is either low second or high third. Somewhere between 8-11.

Tim, should the Judge not also have to make a case for ranking an album so far below conventional wisdom??The Guy has made no case just a declaration
You're wrong about this. He did make a case. He stated that the level of greatness between the best albums was so thin that he did not want to have more than one album by the same artist. I disagree with this argument and stated why earlier. But your accusing him of just being obstinate and going with only his personal taste is far from accurate.
How so???That is clearly what he is doing, to the detriment of the integrity of this endeavor

Tim, should the Judge not also have to make a case for ranking an album so far below conventional wisdom??The Guy has made no case just a declaration
You're wrong about this. He did make a case. He stated that the level of greatness between the best albums was so thin that he did not want to have more than one album by the same artist. I disagree with this argument and stated why earlier. But your accusing him of just being obstinate and going with only his personal taste is far from accurate.
How so???That is clearly what he is doing, to the detriment of the integrity of this endeavor
Integrity is not the word I would use to describe this draft.

I'll leave it to Mr. Humanzee to defend himself, if he wants to. But you and I have a different interpretation of his remarks.

MisfitBlondes said:
We need a "Words to describe this draft" draft. :popcorn:
IN (as judge)

I don't believe you are a real human being. Maybe I should have typed that in binary. 000110.10001011.010 111000101

MisfitBlondes said:
We need a "Words to describe this draft" draft. :popcorn:
Sexy. At least, that's always how I describe it.

Yo, P!

click play>

(August 9, 1975

From the Naropa Poetics Audio Archives, made available for non-commercial use under the Creative Commons License.)

Leave it where it is, I don't care about the rankings - but I do love listening to this.

I don't believe you are a real human being. Maybe I should have typed that in binary. 000110.10001011.010 111000101
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't :popcorn:

Yo, P!

click play>

(August 9, 1975

From the Naropa Poetics Audio Archives, made available for non-commercial use under the Creative Commons License.)

Leave it where it is, I don't care about the rankings - but I do love listening to this.
I can't really argue its ranking (much as I can't argue my Bukowski pick), but I'm with you--so great to listen to. :popcorn: We should have a separate draft just of poems that are great to hear. The Jabberwocky would fit that, as would this one, which I almost took instead of Nirvana (and expect it would have been Tier 4, too):

The Emperor of Ice-Cream (by Wallace Stevens)

Call the roller of big cigars,

The muscular one, and bid him whip

In kitchen cups concupiscent curds.

Let the wenches dawdle in such dress

As they are used to wear, and let the boys

Bring flowers in last month's newspapers.

Let be be finale of seem.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

Take from the dresser of deal,

Lacking the three glass knobs, that sheet

On which she embroidered fantails once

And spread it so as to cover her face.

If her horny feet protrude, they come

To show how cold she is, and dumb.

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

MisfitBlondes said:
Lost in the midst of this are tim's play tiers.
Now Tim will know how ToW felt when he made his choices that were overlooked and missed out on commentary...I blame you. :popcorn:
Who did what to the whom?
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't :nerd:
:lmao: :bow: :hey: :hey: :lmao: at both posts.

There should've been a category for best shtick
I am competitive, determined, and doggedly soI have been dunked on by some of the best ever, and was back down scoring on them in 4 or 5 seconds. You Pout, or you play.

I am driven, and love the fact that Basketball and Football are decided on the field, not like gymnastics or diving, which depends on the fairness and equity of judges.

When we lost, I lost, and I have a bitter taste, and more motivation to improve and win the next time.

I spent inumerable hours alone, shooting, dribbling, lifting, trying to get better. I hate to lose.

If striving for excellence, in any undertaking, and despising seeing some try to subvert the effort is "schtick" then I am guilty
This is the greatest transmission in the history of human communication.Tides of War, I may be in love with you.

Users who are viewing this thread