What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (1 Viewer)

So the wife and I and our son (who will be 15 months old at the time) are heading to Orlando to visit some of my wife's family at the end of February. We were thinking of spending 2 or 3 nights at the resort to get away from the family. We are not big amusment park goers but would appreciate any advice on where to stay or activities given my son's age.Since we will be staying with family for the first half of the trip we were going to splurge and stay at one of the deluxe resorts. We were considering the Animal Kingdom Lodge since my son is very young but even at his age he is just fascinated with animals and loves going to the zoo or even just seeing a dog or cat. Any thoughts on other lodges would be helpful. Also, is there any benefit to staying on the monorail itself or other logistics issues we might want to think about with a small child?As for the parks at that age are there things we should try to do that are good for that age? Also, we definetly want to go to Epcot for our own entertainment as I would think for a non-park goer that would be highlight but let me know if my thinking is incorrect. Also, the last time I was in the park was probably 15 to 20 years ago so I would imagine things have changed greatly. Thanks
When we went last month my son was 13 monthsHe was very excited to see Mickey. We had breakfast at Tusker house and dinner at Chef Mickeys. The park that is best suited for him is Magic Kingdom. While Animal Kingdom has the safari that he would love, not much else for his age besides a Dumbo like ride and the playground. Epcot is a nice day our for the family, especially in the world showcase. I would not waste my time with Hollywood studios if I was youAs far as resorts, we have always stayed in a cheap one like Pop Century. The one time we didnt, we stayed at the caribbean beach and I was not a fan. I do want to stay at Animal Kingdom one day thoughHave fun
Thanks. Glad to see really young kids can enjoy the trip as well.

Stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and really liked seeing the animals coming close to below our room. Didn't eat there once so can't comment on that. Going to the Wilderness Lodge as we are going to the MK this time and you can take a boat over to the Contemporary and take the monorail. Of course you can always take the bus too. HTH.
Thought the animal thing would be a bit of schtick and not really able to see from your room but good to know that is not the case.Also, on the AKL it seems far away from the action. Did that create any problems since you had to take the bus everywhere?

GreekFreak said:
Getting ready for our adults only trip this coming weekend at the Boardwalk.Anyone have any tips on where to eat there or at the Beach Club?Can you walk to both epcot and DHS from the Boardwalk?
yes, you can walk to epcot and DHS, but the studios walk is nat as easy. I suggest the boat that goes there, very convenient. dont forget about the epcot >monorail > MK as well. BW is one of my fav resoorts for that reason alone, it is the 1 that is connected to the most parks.you also have the swan and dolphin right there too. I suggest a late night dip i their grotto hot tubs. the best on the property IMOnot sure if Jelly Rolls is still there (dueling pianos), if so, spend some time there, its on the boardwalk.have fun

We are going back to WDW the first week of June and I was reading disboards.com the other day for recommendations because we added a night and needed another table service restaurant. In one of the many threads about 'Ohana, someone mentioned that they had looked at their (apparently) new menu and it said nothing about the honey coriander wings being offered any more. This, obviously, brought great consternation to many of that board, as well as I'm sure it will to many in this thread, most obviously Yankeefan23. When I read that post, he was the very first person I thought of.

However, someone responded and said they were there last Saturday, and, as of then, the wings were still on the menu. So, who knows what the truth is. All I know is I'll be pissed if they're not there in about 4 months.

Stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and really liked seeing the animals coming close to below our room. Didn't eat there once so can't comment on that. Going to the Wilderness Lodge as we are going to the MK this time and you can take a boat over to the Contemporary and take the monorail. Of course you can always take the bus too. HTH.
Thought the animal thing would be a bit of schtick and not really able to see from your room but good to know that is not the case.Also, on the AKL it seems far away from the action. Did that create any problems since you had to take the bus everywhere?
Yeah. We splurged and stayed on the Concierge Level and our room overlooked a big grassy area with some mud holes and a bunch of gazelle looking things came by and some boar. It was pretty cool.As far as buses go, I take them everywhere in Disney and never have any problems. They come so often to the resorts you can skip a full one and hop the next one during peak times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for some off site restaurant recommendations if anyone has them. Doesn't have to be fine dining (going with my 12 and 9 year old boys), but not looking to eat at Denny's/Perkins every day either. Have wheels so can travel within reason.

ETA: Will do some on site dining as well. Currently booked for Biergarten (Epcot), Hollywood & Vine (Fantasmic package), Boma (AKL) and, of course, 'Ohana. Besides 'Ohana, these are all new locations to try, so curious what peoples' experiences have been.

TIA

Looking for some off site restaurant recommendations if anyone has them. Doesn't have to be fine dining (going with my 12 and 9 year old boys), but not looking to eat at Denny's/Perkins every day either. Have wheels so can travel within reason.ETA: Will do some on site dining as well. Currently booked for Biergarten (Epcot), Hollywood & Vine (Fantasmic package), Boma (AKL) and, of course, 'Ohana. Besides 'Ohana, these are all new locations to try, so curious what peoples' experiences have been.TIA
I was there a few weeks ago and we went to Via Napoli for the first time, it was the best pizza I have had in a long time.The apps were very good too.

We are going back to WDW the first week of June and I was reading disboards.com the other day for recommendations because we added a night and needed another table service restaurant. In one of the many threads about 'Ohana, someone mentioned that they had looked at their (apparently) new menu and it said nothing about the honey coriander wings being offered any more. This, obviously, brought great consternation to many of that board, as well as I'm sure it will to many in this thread, most obviously Yankeefan23. When I read that post, he was the very first person I thought of. However, someone responded and said they were there last Saturday, and, as of then, the wings were still on the menu. So, who knows what the truth is. All I know is I'll be pissed if they're not there in about 4 months.
If they change that menu Egypt will have nothing on me.

We are going back to WDW the first week of June and I was reading disboards.com the other day for recommendations because we added a night and needed another table service restaurant. In one of the many threads about 'Ohana, someone mentioned that they had looked at their (apparently) new menu and it said nothing about the honey coriander wings being offered any more. This, obviously, brought great consternation to many of that board, as well as I'm sure it will to many in this thread, most obviously Yankeefan23. When I read that post, he was the very first person I thought of. However, someone responded and said they were there last Saturday, and, as of then, the wings were still on the menu. So, who knows what the truth is. All I know is I'll be pissed if they're not there in about 4 months.
If they change that menu Egypt will have nothing on me.
Same here, it wouldn't be the same if my fingers weren't stuck together after eating a tray of the wings.

Me and the family just strolled over to Le Celier to see if the had anything for today. They told us we could be seated in 20 minutes

:yay:

Me and the family just strolled over to Le Celier to see if the had anything for today. They told us we could be seated in 20 minutes:yay:
Picked a good weekend to come down here. Forecast said the next 5-6 days are going to be just like yesterday - 80 degrees and mostly sunny by day, upper 50s at night.

We are going back to WDW the first week of June and I was reading disboards.com the other day for recommendations because we added a night and needed another table service restaurant. In one of the many threads about 'Ohana, someone mentioned that they had looked at their (apparently) new menu and it said nothing about the honey coriander wings being offered any more. This, obviously, brought great consternation to many of that board, as well as I'm sure it will to many in this thread, most obviously Yankeefan23. When I read that post, he was the very first person I thought of.

However, someone responded and said they were there last Saturday, and, as of then, the wings were still on the menu. So, who knows what the truth is. All I know is I'll be pissed if they're not there in about 4 months.
yikes, I hadn't looked at that site yet, there's a load of info there.We're going in April and haven't planned our stay out yet. It'll be wife, me, her parents, her 22 year old sister, and our 8,6,3 and 4 month old boys. This will probably be our sons only trip as kids, I guess we might go back in 6 or more years, but it will be awhile so we want to make the most of it without overdoing things.

We have the Quick Service Dining Plan and are choosing not to do a character meal. I assume we won't have to make reservations with this plan, but are there any restaurants we should make sure we hit? Which would you go to?

ETA: we're staying in the treehouses at Saratoga Springs and plan to eat a small breakfast before heading out each day, so a mid-morning snack, later lunch and dinner will suffice.

4 day park hopper, right now the plan is DW the first day, Epcot the 2nd, MGM and AK the 3rd, 4th probably back to DW. We're considering skipping AK if one of the others are worth going back to or we just want to hang out at the pool.

I'll look through disboards and this thread, but any specific advice is welcome.

...We're considering skipping AK if one of the others are worth going back to or we just want to hang out at the pool.
Discussed this again with the wife, can anyone convince me that we have to hit AK? The kids like zoos but have been to them often, would the half a day and transportation be worthwhile, vs. relaxing for a few hours at the pool or spending more time at one of the other parks?

...We're considering skipping AK if one of the others are worth going back to or we just want to hang out at the pool.
Discussed this again with the wife, can anyone convince me that we have to hit AK? The kids like zoos but have been to them often, would the half a day and transportation be worthwhile, vs. relaxing for a few hours at the pool or spending more time at one of the other parks?
My kids love it (14 & 12) and my niece & nephew (5 & 7) really enjoyed it last August too. All but my niece we tall enough to get on Expedition Everest (and with kid swap and fast passes, we were able to get off and back on quick). That Rafki's Planet watch was awesome. The Docs were operating on a swans wing, putting 6 pins in it. We watched for at least a 1/2 hour and there was very little gore, just cool science. The Lion King & Finding Nemo shows are also darn good And, if its warm enough, the rapids are fun too. For us, we've always hit AK first thing in the morning and did the safari, then hit everything else and were in another park by no later than 2pm. We have always had a car, so the pay once to park in all parks was what we did. Our kids left us from AK to meet some friends over at Epcot and the bus got them there quick (if you didn't want to drive).

My kids love it (14 & 12) and my niece & nephew (5 & 7) really enjoyed it last August too. All but my niece we tall enough to get on Expedition Everest (and with kid swap and fast passes, we were able to get off and back on quick). That Rafki's Planet watch was awesome. The Docs were operating on a swans wing, putting 6 pins in it. We watched for at least a 1/2 hour and there was very little gore, just cool science. The Lion King & Finding Nemo shows are also darn good And, if its warm enough, the rapids are fun too. For us, we've always hit AK first thing in the morning and did the safari, then hit everything else and were in another park by no later than 2pm. We have always had a car, so the pay once to park in all parks was what we did. Our kids left us from AK to meet some friends over at Epcot and the bus got them there quick (if you didn't want to drive).
:wub: I love AK...have to at least make a morning visit out of it for us. Hit Everest, the safari, Nemo and Lion King.

Me and the family just strolled over to Le Celier to see if the had anything for today. They told us we could be seated in 20 minutes:yay:
Picked a good weekend to come down here. Forecast said the next 5-6 days are going to be just like yesterday - 80 degrees and mostly sunny by day, upper 50s at night.
I disagree. I can't believe they were seated that early.President Day weekend/ extra days into the week - I think most are off till Wednesday Plus Daytona 500 = mobbed.We went this time last year and Saturday - Wednesday was the most crowds I have ever seen. Thu-Sunday was awesome.Good luck Acer hope it stays un-crowded

:goodposting: I love AK...have to at least make a morning visit out of it for us. Hit Everest, the safari, Nemo and Lion King.
any particular reason to do the morning at AK and afternoon somewhere else? as opposed to MGM or part of Epcot in the morning, AK in the afternoon?

:goodposting: I love AK...have to at least make a morning visit out of it for us. Hit Everest, the safari, Nemo and Lion King.
any particular reason to do the morning at AK and afternoon somewhere else? as opposed to MGM or part of Epcot in the morning, AK in the afternoon?
We, and I think others will agree, like to do AK in the morning because it just seems to get beastly hot in the afternoon. There are not as many attractions for one, and very few of them are indoors to get a break from the heat. Being there in April, the heat may not be as much of a problem. Plus, the animals on the safari will probably be a little more active and out and about in the early morning or later evening. We like to go either first thing, or if they're having extra magic hours in the evening. We hit one of the last safaris of the day last year and it was the best one we'd ever been on. My 2 cents.

We, and I think others will agree, like to do AK in the morning because it just seems to get beastly hot in the afternoon. There are not as many attractions for one, and very few of them are indoors to get a break from the heat. Being there in April, the heat may not be as much of a problem. Plus, the animals on the safari will probably be a little more active and out and about in the early morning or later evening. We like to go either first thing, or if they're having extra magic hours in the evening. We hit one of the last safaris of the day last year and it was the best one we'd ever been on. My 2 cents.
This is the reason we've gone there early. The group will head for the safari right when the park opens, while I hustle over to Everest for Fast Passes and the rejoin the group.

Going back in a couple of weeks after some time in Key West. Doing Wilderness Lodge and MK. Restaurants this time are as follows:

Fulton's for dinner 1st night

Whispering Canyon Cafe for breakfast

Grand Floridian Cafe for lunch

Kona Cafe for dinner

I have heard mixed reviews about Fulton's and Raglan Road will be backup plan if we bail.

Should be a nice way to end our first vacation of the year.

The view of the animals outside of our balcony is the thing my two kids reminisce about the most from our Disney vacation over a year ago. I get the feeling it's going to be nearly impossible to talk them into trying a different hotel out the next time we go. It was very cool to see them wake up and run out to the balcony to see what animals were out there, and to have something exciting to look forward to at the end of the day getting back to the hotel room.

The kids got emotionally attached to one of these guys who slept in the same spot right outside our room every night.

I disagree. I can't believe they were seated that early.President Day weekend/ extra days into the week - I think most are off till Wednesday Plus Daytona 500 = mobbed.We went this time last year and Saturday - Wednesday was the most crowds I have ever seen. Thu-Sunday was awesome.Good luck Acer hope it stays un-crowded
Thanks. Epcot was very quiet. Not so much for the Magic Kingdom todayVery crowded BUT we have been strategic so far with lines and fast pass so we have done what we wanted too. But yeah, mad long lines (50 mins for small world with a 15 month old=not fun)We were here in December so that helps. Leaving tomorrow for a cruise so don't have to worry after todayTrying to figure out dinner tonight. We might try Chef Mickeys or Crystal jut to see if we can jump in and have yesterdays luck

Thanks. Epcot was very quiet. Not so much for the Magic Kingdom todayVery crowded BUT we have been strategic so far with lines and fast pass so we have done what we wanted too. But yeah, mad long lines (50 mins for small world with a 15 month old=not fun)We were here in December so that helps. Leaving tomorrow for a cruise so don't have to worry after todayTrying to figure out dinner tonight. We might try Chef Mickeys or Crystal jut to see if we can jump in and have yesterdays luck
Sorry wasn't trying to jinx you. Was trying to give you a heads up. Besides Spring Break and summer this is the worst week for Disney and I lived through it :goodposting:Sorry for your luck , was wishing the best.

Just got back from our trip and had a great time even with a very little kid. We really loved the Animal Kingdowm lodge and the animals are really just outside your balcony. Kinda crazy.

Rest of the trip was good and the wife and I are already talking about heading back in a few years when my son is older and can enjoy it a little more.

Anyone here stay at Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside? We loved Coronado Springs but something that brings us back to Disney rather than other vacations is the ability to always see/experience something new so we wanted to try a new resort and I saw that Port Orleans French Quarter has newly renovated rooms.

What about Novemeber dates? We have gone in September the last 2 years and done the Halloween party so we thought we would try for a little later to experience the Christmas party and decorations. I am so spoiled by the low crowds I'm just curious how the crowds are during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of November. We would be catching the end of the Food and Wine Festival but gone before the Thanksgiving crowds start rolling in. Tentative dates are Nov. 10-19.

Anyone here stay at Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside? We loved Coronado Springs but something that brings us back to Disney rather than other vacations is the ability to always see/experience something new so we wanted to try a new resort and I saw that Port Orleans French Quarter has newly renovated rooms. What about Novemeber dates? We have gone in September the last 2 years and done the Halloween party so we thought we would try for a little later to experience the Christmas party and decorations. I am so spoiled by the low crowds I'm just curious how the crowds are during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of November. We would be catching the end of the Food and Wine Festival but gone before the Thanksgiving crowds start rolling in. Tentative dates are Nov. 10-19.
Stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter last year and liked it. There is a boat that goes to DD from there as well (Riverside too). We will stay at Riverside at some point this year too. Will be there a week from Friday. Looking forward to it.

Anyone here stay at Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside? We loved Coronado Springs but something that brings us back to Disney rather than other vacations is the ability to always see/experience something new so we wanted to try a new resort and I saw that Port Orleans French Quarter has newly renovated rooms. What about Novemeber dates? We have gone in September the last 2 years and done the Halloween party so we thought we would try for a little later to experience the Christmas party and decorations. I am so spoiled by the low crowds I'm just curious how the crowds are during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of November. We would be catching the end of the Food and Wine Festival but gone before the Thanksgiving crowds start rolling in. Tentative dates are Nov. 10-19.
POFQ is our favorite! We've also stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge. One of the main reasons we like POFQ is that it's relatively small and centrally located. We could easily hop on a bus and be at the parks quickly. At some of the other hotels, a large crowd would already be waiting for the bus and we would have to wait for a second bus to arrive. That almost never happens at POFQ. At Wilderness the boat to Magic kingdom would always be pulling away just as we were arriving to the dock. It took about 20 minutes for another boat to come and this happened to us several times (maybe just bad luck). Ask for building #4 at POFQ. It's closest to the bus stop while still very close to the counter service restaurant. It was quiet too. Also POFQ has 2 sinks in the room (unlike the value resorts All Star and Pop Century), which is nice when a family of four is all trying to get ready at the same time each morning to get to the park.

We've done Port Orleans. There is nothing bad about it but to be honest we just didn't enjoy it as much as some other places. I'm not exactly sure if I can articulate why, but it is what it is. November is a good time to go. We go every year the week after Thanksgiving and it's great. Perfect weather, no crowds yet and all the Christmas stuff is up and running. I've never been there in early November. The Food and Wine Festival is dangerous. Very very dangerous. It is not for the weak minded.

We've done Port Orleans. There is nothing bad about it but to be honest we just didn't enjoy it as much as some other places. I'm not exactly sure if I can articulate why, but it is what it is. November is a good time to go. We go every year the week after Thanksgiving and it's great. Perfect weather, no crowds yet and all the Christmas stuff is up and running. I've never been there in early November. The Food and Wine Festival is dangerous. Very very dangerous. It is not for the weak minded.
I'm worried about the F&W festival, it would essentially be going on our first four days there. We went two years ago for opening weekend but last year avoided it all together. This year would be the last weekend of it. I was thinking that we would hit up the F&W festival as soon as it opens on Thurs or Fri, make our round and be done with it to try to avoid the madness of the last weekend. We aren't big drinkers so lingering in the World at Epcot doesn't really do much for either of us. I'm hoping it being the last weekend means everyone will be there making the other parks less crowded. Of course perhaps the worst part of all...waiting until November!

We stayed at French Quarter in September of last year. It was fairly quiet compared to the Value resorts and even the Beach Club. The downside to it was no full service restaurant. There is one at Riverside, but I found the food there to be average. The entertainer in the bar was very good. There were a few times when we spent a little longer waiting for buses, but we were not usually in a rush to get anywhere.

Going back in a couple of weeks after some time in Key West. Doing Wilderness Lodge and MK. Restaurants this time are as follows:Fulton's for dinner 1st nightWhispering Canyon Cafe for breakfastGrand Floridian Cafe for lunchKona Cafe for dinnerI have heard mixed reviews about Fulton's and Raglan Road will be backup plan if we bail.Should be a nice way to end our first vacation of the year.
Don't know if you've gone yet or not, but I would switch Whispering Canyon to dinner and Kona for breakfast. Kona is one of my favorite breakfast places for the Tonga toast alone, and WCC has family style all-you-can-eat barbecue and bottomless milkshakes for dinner.

IMO Port Orleans is my favorite moderate resort with Coronado being just a notch below. Riverside has some of the best landscaping of any Disney resort, but I really like the distinctive theming of French Quarter. You can't really go wrong with either option.The time period is pretty good as far as crowds go. There's really no noticeable increase in attendance until the Sunday before Thanksgiving.

Flying out after work tomorrow. :excited:

This trip really snuck up on me. I feel much less prepared than normal. Basically just winging it for seven days. We only have one meal reservation (but it's O'hana).

It's spring break, so I'm expecting huge crowds. Weather looks great though.

The nice thing is my parent's rented a four bedroom house for the month, so that's covered. And they bought season passes, so parking will be free.

We just spent 8 nights at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek in a 2 bedroom unit, it was fantastic. The units were very nice and the on property amenities like the pools were great. This was our first family trip, we spent 7 days in the park. Trying to figure out a way to afford another trip next year :thumbup:

Currently at Wilderness Lodge after few days in Key West. Cooler temperatures seem to be keeping some folks away (mostly locals). Ate at Fulton's last night and it was delicious. Expensive, but nothing for the FBG brethren. Heading to MK this morning. I downloaded this app that shows wait times for rides so I am gonna use it today. Space Mountain first since each of the last two times the wait was huuuuge and fastpasses were gone immediately for the whole day. Lunch at Grand Floridian and Polynesian for dinner (not Ohana, rather Kona Cafe). I will report back later.

1 other thing: Downtown Disney is crazy crowded on a Friday night. If you don't have restaurant reservations, you're SOL.

Must be the "cold", but MK is pretty dead today. Rode the big 3 in less than an hour. Here's a pic from Adventureland around 9:30 am. Awesome day here today.

Got back from Disney today. Wilderness Lodge was great again. We took the boats back and forth to the MK and then on to the Grand Floridian and Polynesian. When the temperatures went up, so did the number of people in MK.

Fulton's was great as expected.

Grand Floridian Cafe was very good. A great place to have lunch in a beautiful setting. It was pretty empty due to the weather I am guessing.

Went to Kona Cafe at Polynesian and enjoyed it. They have sticky wings there which are very good. I know everyone goes to Ohana, but I think Kona is solid too.

Got back from Disney today. Wilderness Lodge was great again. We took the boats back and forth to the MK and then on to the Grand Floridian and Polynesian. When the temperatures went up, so did the number of people in MK.Fulton's was great as expected.Grand Floridian Cafe was very good. A great place to have lunch in a beautiful setting. It was pretty empty due to the weather I am guessing.Went to Kona Cafe at Polynesian and enjoyed it. They have sticky wings there which are very good. I know everyone goes to Ohana, but I think Kona is solid too.
I've never eaten at the GF, when we go back in November I am going to try out the Cafe.

Got back from Disney today. Wilderness Lodge was great again. We took the boats back and forth to the MK and then on to the Grand Floridian and Polynesian. When the temperatures went up, so did the number of people in MK.Fulton's was great as expected.Grand Floridian Cafe was very good. A great place to have lunch in a beautiful setting. It was pretty empty due to the weather I am guessing.Went to Kona Cafe at Polynesian and enjoyed it. They have sticky wings there which are very good. I know everyone goes to Ohana, but I think Kona is solid too.
I've never eaten at the GF, when we go back in November I am going to try out the Cafe.
The menu isn't huge, but the food is very good. We walked around the grounds and then took the boat back to MK. I will go back there for lunch again.

'RBM said:
Whats the skinny on dining plans? Important or stay away?
If you have 4 or more in your family and want to do a lot of character meals they are almost a must as they save you a lot of money. I would recommend them for pretty much anyone else too.

I'm sure there's a ton of information in here that I looked at some time ago, but I don't have 46 pages worth of time or patience atm. Can somebody give me the Cliff's Notes version of best places to stay for 2 thirty-something juveniles and a 4 year old? And anything else you REALLY think I should be aware of before going down there.

Also, looking at WDW.com the Animal Kingdom lodge seems to be showing Arusha View as an upgrade over Savanna view, but Expedia has the Arusha View for considerably less per night. What'supwithat?

Got back today. Disney is awesome. Foreigners dominate in the MILF category. Americans are fat. And Homer should never ever go there. :o

Got back today. Disney is awesome. Foreigners dominate in the MILF category. Americans are fat. And Homer should never ever go there. :o
You take your kid or go herphunting? Where'd you stay? Would you recommend it or no?
Kid. My folks rented a four bedroom house, 20 minute drive from the parks. Since your kid isn't in school yet the main thing would be to avoid the peak seasons. Take advantage of that flexibility while you have it.Family time was fun, but I need to go get drunk and make poor decisions now.

Users who are viewing this thread