What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's thread about nothing (8 Viewers)

Bret passed tonight. Got a call from my mom at about 7:30. He went peacefully at home. The wife and I came over right away. There were already at least 20 people there. After hugging my sister and my nephews (he left behind two sons, 19 and 22) there was a lot of standing around. After about 1/2 my wife and I volunteered to go to the store for food etc. We grabbed some deli stuff and snacks. I also grabbed a 12 pack of Bud Light...Bret's beer of choice.We were only gone 20 minutes and when we came back there were now close to 40 people at the house. It seems fairly morbid but since it was only about an hour and 1/2 since he had passed Bret was still there...lying in state. Everybody grabbed a beer. His best buddy since HS, Tony, called us all together and gave one last toast. "Bret...he was a great son, a great husband, and a great father...and an even better friend." That's 100% true. Oh, and at the end of Tony's toast I added "GO BEARS" which was totally appropriate.I took my sons and ran to 7-11 for another 3 cases of beer and some ice. For the rest of the night we all stood around and tossed them back. His house was always the "party house". 4th of July, Memorial Day, Super Bowl, New Years, the first of the month, a day that ends in "Y"...there was always a house full of friends and drinks and pool and horseshoes and stories. He would have been pissed if we had all stood around with our hands in our pockets.I spent most of the night drinking beer with his 3 best buddies out on the front lawn. Guys he's known since HS (he moved to Calif from Illinois his freshman year). Every story either ended with a laugh or "yeah, that sounds like him"...usually both. I honestly have never met a guy like him. Salt of the earth. Worked his ### off. Day-in, day-out as a supervisor in the oilfields. He was the kind of guy that you wanted on your side if you were ever in a fight and next to you if you needed a friend. One of the things that I probably said 4 or 5 times tonight was "I never knew anybody that didn't like him". That wasn't bull ####. He could make friends at a monster truck rally or a Streisand concert. His door was always open and his kegerator was always charged and cold.I need to head to bed soon. I'm not a T&P kind of guy. Neither was Bret. But if you feel the need silently toast him sometime this weekend. If you want to pay tribute to him help out the next guy you see pushing his brokedown car on the side of the road. The next time your at a bar and you see a guy who looks a little down buy him a beer AND start a conversation with him. If your favorite team loses a big game cuss about it for a while and then buy drinks for the guys at the bar rooting for the other team.Bret was a quasi-redneck from southern Illinois and called Bakersfield his home but the best way to describe him was "a real Mensch". Love you, bro_Oh, GO BEARS!
So sorry for your loss McJose. I'm also sorry I missed this when it was posted. I am still about 10 pages behind, catching up is the suck. Hang in there.....
Thanks. :thumbup: Good luck to you too in re to the stuff you're going through.
Thanks GB.Packer/Bear week...... Lets keep it clean this week. ;)

Anyone remember these guys:

Caught both of these acts at New Rock Fest in Milwaukee circa 1995 I think. Had a blast all day long until we were forced to endure Duran Duran and the Violent Femmes as the headliners.. Was getting bodypassed during "Molly" and then dropped on my head. Guy helped me back up and handed me a doob the size of Lee Corso's babyarm. Good times.

You misspelled Viking/Lion week.
If one of your friends who claims to be a huge MMA fan tells you he can't record TUF because he's currently watching X-Factor, do you openly mock him in public?
Yes. Air him out.I watch a lot of dumb stuff, but I never understood any of the singing competitions. They're horrible. My iPod is full of people who are compelling singers.
I'm not going to call him out, but he is included in these nested quotes.

If one of your friends who claims to be a huge MMA fan tells you he can't record TUF because he's currently watching X-Factor, do you openly mock him in public?
Yes. Air him out.I watch a lot of dumb stuff, but I never understood any of the singing competitions. They're horrible. My iPod is full of people who are compelling singers.
I would never ask anyone included in these nested quotes publicly on a popular social media site what their early thoughts on X Factor are. That would be kind of weird.

'Good said:
'jplvr said:
'Good said:
'jplvr said:
'Notorious T.R.E. said:
I would never ask anyone included in these nested quotes publicly on a popular social media site what their early thoughts on X Factor are. That would be kind of weird.
I would never social medially like such a thing. That would be kind of weird.

'Good said:
'jplvr said:
'Good said:
'jplvr said:
'Notorious T.R.E. said:
I saw there was a thread already and was suprised he hadn't posted yet.I watched Idol during the Taylor Hicks and Reuben Studdard years. I might have even voted. :bag: However, one good thing about that is I may have unintentionally helped keep a crappy singer off the airwaves considering. They both won, shutting out people who might have actually been marketable for Top40 rotation.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Good said:
'jplvr said:
'Good said:
'jplvr said:
'Notorious T.R.E. said:
:lmao:Drinking game down?

Oh, forgot about Bo Bice. He lost to that good looking chick Romo used to bang. I was at a local bar/restaurant, wondering who this dirty redneck was people were huddled around, getting in my way. He left and later someone asked if I met Bo Bice. Then they had to remind me why I should know him.

'fatguyinalittlecoat said:
'Tiger Fan said:
no lie - I have a FBG jeopardy file on my google docs that I've been slowly compiling over the years. Eventually I will host on a friday. Bagger doing Family Feud was one of the all time greatest FFA schticks
FFA Jeopardy/Family Feud/Match Game was as good as the FFA has ever been. Whatever year that was, it was the peak.
A thread where people organized teams and played Family Feud? Or was it all shtick?

Thinking of going

Yeah, me either, and also agree the song is actually excellent...I was surprised by it. Never heard of them but was watching Letterman and bought it right there, which I never do. Anyway, I might as well be playing a play-in in the first round. Or maybe I should save it for later... :unsure:

"Hey, young homie whatchu trippin on? Lookin' at life like how did I get it wrong?"

Edit: OOOOH, slo-mo chest pound from L.A. Reid. #drink

Last edited by a moderator:
I have way too many pages to catch up on in here, but just wanted to say:Tanner > plz see my Facebook link
I watched it, watched it again with Mr. YSR, and then sent it to friends. :lmao:
This makes me very happy. It cracks me up and I've watched it about 20 times, so I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one. :)
I loved the bird noises, but he literally laughed out loud at the arm-raping scenes. :mellow:

Yankees an inning away from taking the AL East.

I know you all needed to know that. I'll be back soon with the pitch-by-pitch.

I have way too many pages to catch up on in here, but just wanted to say:Tanner > plz see my Facebook link
I watched it, watched it again with Mr. YSR, and then sent it to friends. :lmao:
This makes me very happy. It cracks me up and I've watched it about 20 times, so I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one. :)
I loved the bird noises, but he literally laughed out loud at the arm-raping scenes. :mellow:
Argonaut's very determined when it comes to the arm-raping. It's...different. We've determined it's just best to lie back and think of England. :mellow:

'Tiger Fan said:
no lie - I have a FBG jeopardy file on my google docs that I've been slowly compiling over the years. Eventually I will host on a friday. Bagger doing Family Feud was one of the all time greatest FFA schticks
FFA Jeopardy/Family Feud/Match Game was as good as the FFA has ever been. Whatever year that was, it was the peak.
A thread where people organized teams and played Family Feud? Or was it all shtick?
The games were real and spectacular. People in the FFA were surveyed and everything.

Anybody remember The Samples? Love them. Playing in Chicago at Lincoln Hall on September 30th. Should be a great show.
They made it as far as smallish town, SC. They were around when I was in high school. Loved them.
:thumbup: You feel like doing some detective work? :excited: Guy from high school in prison for life, no possibility of parole. Curious why, nobody knows, and nothing on basic google/bing searches.

'Tiger Fan said:
The games were real and spectacular. People in the FFA were surveyed and everything.
This is a great idea. What are the chances of sequel?

Anybody remember The Samples? Love them. Playing in Chicago at Lincoln Hall on September 30th. Should be a great show.
They made it as far as smallish town, SC. They were around when I was in high school. Loved them.
:thumbup: You feel like doing some detective work? :excited: Guy from high school in prison for life, no possibility of parole. Curious why, nobody knows, and nothing on basic google/bing searches.
I have access to criminal databases.

Really? I have a guy from HS that I'm curious about, too.

gm, if you ever decide to take the kids fishing again, i found a spectacular spot near Madras you can take the kids and virtually guarantee you'll catch 3-5 lb wild trout. no boat required. PM if interested.

PM'd you. Looks like he's in Pelican Bay (getting this off of a friend who posted as much on FB -- he's trying to get more info from people). Wiki just informed me that prison is for the "worst of the worst", damn. What a trip. Quiet, unassuming guy, if I recall correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread