What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Boardwalk Empire thread (2 Viewers)

Awesome episode last night. I was wondering how long it would take Eli to come crawling back to Nucky, it was a lot sooner than I thought. Great scene between those two with Nucky basically tell him to go #### himself. Eli's going to have to come up with some big time help for his big bro to get back into good graces again. Another nice storyline developing there.

I didn't think Richard would pull the trigger, they've gone to great lengths to develop his charachter, even moreso last night, I doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon. Interesting question about Jimmy's loyalty, but I think he was genuine when he said "to the last bullet". Jimmy knows he's in deep now with the Commodore being down and out, he needs as many close allies as he can get, and he doesn't have many. To alienate Richard would be a critical mistake.

Good points being made about the AG not being able to get Nucky off, I would like to see him dispose of his witnesses, especially since Eli can give them up.

Intense scene with Eli killing George in his shed/garage. Question though, when the deputy came over to help him with the body, Eli told him he killed Mary someone. Who's name was that and why didn't he tell him it was George?

Seeing the previews for next week, it looks like the Philly war is on with someone hanging upside down in Manny's meat locker, and also looks like plenty of gunfire erupting with Lucky and Myra being involved. This #### is getting REAL good.
Not trying to nit-pick, but it's Meyer Lansky not MyraETA: I couldn't agree more with everything you said. I didn't actually see the reason why Eli even asked anyone for help with the body. Nobody was with him at the end digging the hole, why would he need help to move it then?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the most minor story-line going, but the tension between Margaret and the hot maid is going to lead to some ####. With the way this show is going now she'll probably get blown up or sliced in half. And there's going to be one of those scenes where the new badass working for Nucky kisses Margaret, Margaret is outraged and slaps him, then they bang.

I'm rooting for both Nucky and Jimmy at the same time even though they're on opposite sides, kind of like I was rooting for Gus and Walt at the same time. All the good characters on TV now are evil son-of-a-#####es. Richard is the most kick-### of all.

also looks like plenty of gunfire erupting with Lucky and Myra being involved. This #### is getting REAL good.
Not trying to nit-pick, but it's Meyer Lansky not MyraETA: I couldn't agree more with everything you said. I didn't actually see the reason why Eli even asked anyone for help with the body. Nobody was with him at the end digging the hole, why would he need help to move it then?
:lmao: at Myra. Where did that come from?

also looks like plenty of gunfire erupting with Lucky and Myra being involved. This #### is getting REAL good.
:lmao: at Myra. Where did that come from?
:bag: I knew that, but for whatever reason my brain kept making me type Myra. :shrug:

This is my favorite show on TV right now, but I wasn't a huge fan of this past episode.

- I thought the scene where Richard put the gun to his mouth was pretty stupid. He obviously wasn't really going to kill himself, so why even bother?

- The final words that the one hobo said to Richard (clearly implying that he'd seen him contemplate killing himself) destroyed that entire sequence. It was ridiculous and downright silly.

- The scene where Margaret saves Nucky by putting a gun to Eli's head, then says something like, "Is this what our life is to be?!" gave me flashbacks to those dreaded Sopranos episodes that focused on Carmela's feelings about being a mob wife. I really, really, really hope that this show isn't going to go down that tired, boring old road.

- That being said, it's interesting how Margaret has gone from perhaps the most sympathetic character on the show to becoming perhaps the most despicable. I hope that terrible things happen to her character.

This is my favorite show on TV right now, but I wasn't a huge fan of this past episode.- I thought the scene where Richard put the gun to his mouth was pretty stupid. He obviously wasn't really going to kill himself, so why even bother?- That being said, it's interesting how Margaret has gone from perhaps the most sympathetic character on the show to becoming perhaps the most despicable. I hope that terrible things happen to her character.
Not sure I get these two. Why do you think Richard wasn't going to pull the trigger?How is Margaret despicable?

This is my favorite show on TV right now, but I wasn't a huge fan of this past episode.- I thought the scene where Richard put the gun to his mouth was pretty stupid. He obviously wasn't really going to kill himself, so why even bother?- The final words that the one hobo said to Richard (clearly implying that he'd seen him contemplate killing himself) destroyed that entire sequence. It was ridiculous and downright silly.
Agree with the first...I never for a second thought it would really happen.Disagree with the second....'its about living' I think is what he said...I thought it was clever, because he was talking about the woods being about hunting, fishing, etc.

This is my favorite show on TV right now, but I wasn't a huge fan of this past episode.- I thought the scene where Richard put the gun to his mouth was pretty stupid. He obviously wasn't really going to kill himself, so why even bother?- That being said, it's interesting how Margaret has gone from perhaps the most sympathetic character on the show to becoming perhaps the most despicable. I hope that terrible things happen to her character.
Not sure I get these two. Why do you think Richard wasn't going to pull the trigger?How is Margaret despicable?
It's really no secret that Richard has quickly become a fan favorite. And clearly, his character is still pretty mysterious, and they can get an awful lot of mileage out of fleshing his character out. It just wouldn't have made any sense to kill him off so quickly and with so much mystery still surrounding him. Did you seriously think there was any chance whatsoever of him really killing himself? What purpose would that have served?Margaret is despicable # 1 because she steals from the help and # 2 because (much like Carmela Soprano) she's more than happy to reap the benefits of being Nucky's girl, but evidently gets all whiny and #####y when she has to deal with the drawbacks. #####, please.

This is my favorite show on TV right now, but I wasn't a huge fan of this past episode.

- I thought the scene where Richard put the gun to his mouth was pretty stupid. He obviously wasn't really going to kill himself, so why even bother?

- The final words that the one hobo said to Richard (clearly implying that he'd seen him contemplate killing himself) destroyed that entire sequence. It was ridiculous and downright silly.
Agree with the first...I never for a second thought it would really happen.Disagree with the second....'its about living' I think is what he said...I thought it was clever, because he was talking about the woods being about hunting, fishing, etc.
Why bring that up at all? Under normal circumstances, that's not really something that you'd say to someone out of nowhere, just from having met that person in the woods.

Why bring that up at all? Under normal circumstances, that's not really something that you'd say to someone out of nowhere, just from having met that person in the woods.
I actually thought he was going in a different direction at first, implying not to bring victims out there to kill or other illegal activities.

I actually thought he was going in a different direction at first, implying not to bring victims out there to kill or other illegal activities.
How would those guys have had even the first clue that Richard was involved in murders?

How would those guys have had even the first clue that Richard was involved in murders?
How would they know he was going to kill himself? Thats what I liked about it....I didn't where they going or what they were thinking.

How would they know he was going to kill himself? Thats what I liked about it....I didn't where they going or what they were thinking.
I don't think it made any sense either way. :shrug:

They asked him questions and figured out he was out there to kill himself. He was thirty miles from home, didn't know where in the woods he was or how to get back, had a messed up face and a shotgun. Seemed like both dudes kinda liked him and were basically saying "don't kill yourself, man." The point of his arc in the woods, to me, was to show how hopeless and close to the bottom he was. The dog was shown to be him, a beaten-up soldier who survives without or without reason to, who finds comfort in companionship. Richard then seeks it out with Jimmy and reaffirms his will to push on.

I'm not understanding this problem with Richard getting to the point he put a gun in his mouth. Lots of desperate people go right to the edge but realize they aren't quite as desperate as they thought they were.

I'm not understanding this problem with Richard getting to the point he put a gun in his mouth. Lots of desperate people go right to the edge but realize they aren't quite as desperate as they thought they were.
I don't think people are questioning why he would do it, they are saying they didn't think he would because it's too early in his storyline it seems. Much more to be told about him.

It's really no secret that Richard has quickly become a fan favorite. And clearly, his character is still pretty mysterious, and they can get an awful lot of mileage out of fleshing his character out. It just wouldn't have made any sense to kill him off so quickly and with so much mystery still surrounding him. Did you seriously think there was any chance whatsoever of him really killing himself? What purpose would that have served?
You and I know that there wasn't much of a chance that he was going to pull the trigger. Oddly enough though Harrow doesn't know that he's a character on a television show.

I don't think people are questioning why he would do it, they are saying they didn't think he would because it's too early in his storyline it seems. Much more to be told about him.
It's de rigueur to kill off well liked characters these days. And that's exactly what Adebisi was saying.

- I thought the scene where Richard put the gun to his mouth was pretty stupid. He obviously wasn't really going to kill himself, so why even bother?- That being said, it's interesting how Margaret has gone from perhaps the most sympathetic character on the show to becoming perhaps the most despicable. I hope that terrible things happen to her character.
Disagree and agree.I was certain he was going to kill himself.Mrs. Dogg was just commenting last week that Margaret has quickly degenerated into an unlikable character.

can any of the Boardwalk regulars recommend Homeland? I'm reading good things, but I also read good things about the Zombie show and Big bang thory.

I thought the writing early on in season 2 was not very good, but this show has really picked up with episodes 2.4 and 2.5

Seeing the previews for next week, it looks like... <snipped>
Just a minor nitpick; would you guys mind putting any reference to upcoming previews in spoiler tags? Some of us intentionally avoid watching them.
That's probably good practice for those like you who don't watch them, but they are usually so far off from anything that actually happens. Last week it was "The previews have scenes of a funeral". Obviously we now know that was way off and it was the Memorial Day celebration. The clips are so short and tied together in a manner to generate hype, but there really isn't anything that can be drawn from them and probably aren't even worth discussing IMO.

They asked him questions and figured out he was out there to kill himself. He was thirty miles from home, didn't know where in the woods he was or how to get back, had a messed up face and a shotgun. Seemed like both dudes kinda liked him and were basically saying "don't kill yourself, man." The point of his arc in the woods, to me, was to show how hopeless and close to the bottom he was. The dog was shown to be him, a beaten-up soldier who survives without or without reason to, who finds comfort in companionship. Richard then seeks it out with Jimmy and reaffirms his will to push on.
This, spot on, imo. :thumbup:

They asked him questions and figured out he was out there to kill himself. He was thirty miles from home, didn't know where in the woods he was or how to get back, had a messed up face and a shotgun. Seemed like both dudes kinda liked him and were basically saying "don't kill yourself, man."

The point of his arc in the woods, to me, was to show how hopeless and close to the bottom he was. The dog was shown to be him, a beaten-up soldier who survives without or without reason to, who finds comfort in companionship. Richard then seeks it out with Jimmy and reaffirms his will to push on.
:goodposting: Wow. I never would of picked that up. Maybe after multiple viewings.

Sorry, and no disrespect intended, but that's pretty stupid, IMO. They "asked questions and figured out he was out there to kill himself?" Please. Break this down for me and give me specific details with quotes, and show me how this would have come about in any realistic situation.Major, major reach, and incredibly forced, if you ask me.

Sorry, and no disrespect intended, but that's pretty stupid, IMO. They "asked questions and figured out he was out there to kill himself?" Please. Break this down for me and give me specific details with quotes, and show me how this would have come about in any realistic situation.Major, major reach, and incredibly forced, if you ask me.
During the conversation one of the woodsmen mentions that people come to the forest for all kinds of dumb things and the forest is for living, hunting not that tomfoolery. He then looks at Richard and asks if he understands that the forest is for living. Richard at this point realizes that they know of his suicide attempt. At least that was my take on the conversation.

During the conversation one of the woodsmen mentions that people come to the forest for all kinds of dumb things and the forest is for living, hunting not that tomfoolery. He then looks at Richard and asks if he understands that the forest is for living. Richard at this point realizes that they know of his suicide attempt. At least that was my take on the conversation.
Circular. How did they know about his suicide attempt?

- The scene where Margaret saves Nucky by putting a gun to Eli's head, then says something like, "Is this what our life is to be?!" gave me flashbacks to those dreaded Sopranos episodes that focused on Carmela's feelings about being a mob wife. I really, really, really hope that this show isn't going to go down that tired, boring old road.

- That being said, it's interesting how Margaret has gone from perhaps the most sympathetic character on the show to becoming perhaps the most despicable. I hope that terrible things happen to her character.
Not sure how anyone could claim this is their favorite show on TV and be disappointed in this episode. IMO this season started off a little slow but the last couple episodes have really intensified. Your "He obviously wasn't really going to kill himself, so why even bother?" statement is just weird. It's part of the story. During the fight with Nucky and his brother it was "obvious" Eli wasn't actually going to get to his gun and use it.. But that didn't make that scene any less intense. Seems rather petty to get caught up in the long term intentions while watching a fictional TV show.

Not sure how anyone could claim this is their favorite show on TV and be disappointed in this episode. IMO this season started off a little slow but the last couple episodes have really intensified.
Yes. I was kind of on the verge of losing interest. I'd watched the last several episodes only half paying attention, having it on in the backround as I did other stuff with one eye on the TV waiting for something interesting to happen.This most recent episode caused me to re-watch it more carefully after my initial half-arsed viewing, then go back and re-skim through the few before that to get caught up. This show has gotten good again — largely on the strength of the most recent episode.

Seeing the previews for next week, it looks like... <snipped>
Just a minor nitpick; would you guys mind putting any reference to upcoming previews in spoiler tags? Some of us intentionally avoid watching them.
That's probably good practice for those like you who don't watch them, but they are usually so far off from anything that actually happens. Last week it was "The previews have scenes of a funeral". Obviously we now know that was way off and it was the Memorial Day celebration. The clips are so short and tied together in a manner to generate hype, but there really isn't anything that can be drawn from them and probably aren't even worth discussing IMO.
That got me. :bag: And sorry about writing about the preview in my previous - will be careful next time.

Not sure how anyone could claim this is their favorite show on TV and be disappointed in this episode. IMO this season started off a little slow but the last couple episodes have really intensified. Your "He obviously wasn't really going to kill himself, so why even bother?" statement is just weird. It's part of the story. During the fight with Nucky and his brother it was "obvious" Eli wasn't actually going to get to his gun and use it.. But that didn't make that scene any less intense. Seems rather petty to get caught up in the long term intentions while watching a fictional TV show.
:goodposting: I just assumed that that was something that Richard probably did every Memorial Day; get dressed to kill himself and then find a reason not to do it.

Not sure how anyone could claim this is their favorite show on TV and be disappointed in this episode. IMO this season started off a little slow but the last couple episodes have really intensified.
Yes. I was kind of on the verge of losing interest. I'd watched the last several episodes only half paying attention, having it on in the backround as I did other stuff with one eye on the TV waiting for something interesting to happen.This most recent episode caused me to re-watch it more carefully after my initial half-arsed viewing, then go back and re-skim through the few before that to get caught up. This show has gotten good again — largely on the strength of the most recent episode.
Agreed. I've actually fallen asleep watching every episode this season. Watching the slow start to this season right after watching episodes of Breaking Bad didn't help either. Last Sunday's episode has gotten me back into the series.

I don't have a transcript. They asked him where he was from, he said Atlantic City, which they pointed out was thirty miles away. They asked him if he knew how to get back, he said no. When they asked him why he was in the woods, he said to hunt, and I remember they looked at each other after he said that like it didn't add up. It doesn't take a supertnaturally keen mind to add it all up the way it was presented, and I don't understand why you'd want more proof than the scene provided. I thought the connection drawn between Richard and the dog was cool. If you didn't like the episode or found that forced, sorry you feel that way. It was my favorite episode of the season so far.

Well since they aren't mind readers and didn't witness Richard with the barrell in his mouth I guess they couldn't have known for sure since Richard didn't mention it. However, Richard told them he was in the woods to hunt. I think they assumed that he was not in the woods to hunt but to commit suicide because he was 30 miles out of town, wearing a suit, not with hunting or survival gear except a rifle with limited ammunition, obviously had his mask off and out of his reach since the dog got it, and had no plans or way to return to town with also no plans for shelter for the night. He also wasn't hunting and looked a somewhat hopeless when he was found.In my opinion it's not really much of a stretch for them to be able to reach that conclusion.

I concur.Circular. How did they know about his suicide attempt?
Well since they aren't mind readers and didn't witness Richard with the barrell in his mouth I guess they couldn't have known for sure since Richard didn't mention it. However, Richard told them he was in the woods to hunt. I think they assumed that he was not in the woods to hunt but to commit suicide because he was 30 miles out of town, wearing a suit, not with hunting or survival gear except a rifle with limited ammunition, obviously had his mask off and out of his reach since the dog got it, and had no plans or way to return to town with also no plans for shelter for the night. He also wasn't hunting and looked a somewhat hopeless when he was found.In my opinion it's not really much of a stretch for them to be able to reach that conclusion.

They asked him questions and figured out he was out there to kill himself. He was thirty miles from home, didn't know where in the woods he was or how to get back, had a messed up face and a shotgun. Seemed like both dudes kinda liked him and were basically saying "don't kill yourself, man."

The point of his arc in the woods, to me, was to show how hopeless and close to the bottom he was. The dog was shown to be him, a beaten-up soldier who survives without or without reason to, who finds comfort in companionship. Richard then seeks it out with Jimmy and reaffirms his will to push on.
:goodposting: Wow. I never would of picked that up. Maybe after multiple viewings.
Apple Juice is on top of things. :thumbup: That was a pretty cool observation, and ironic that the dog probably saved his life by stealing his mask.

How is it even remotely "intense" when you already know the outcome? He was either going to pull the trigger or he wasn't. Clearly, he wasn't. And I'm not sure where "long term intentions" come into play here, since he was either going to die right there on the spot or he wasn't. That seems pretty short term to me.The Nucky/Eli fight was obviously different. Aside from Nucky being killed, the possibilities were pretty wide open.

I don't have a transcript. They asked him where he was from, he said Atlantic City, which they pointed out was thirty miles away. They asked him if he knew how to get back, he said no. When they asked him why he was in the woods, he said to hunt, and I remember they looked at each other after he said that like it didn't add up. It doesn't take a supertnaturally keen mind to add it all up the way it was presented, and I don't understand why you'd want more proof than the scene provided. I thought the connection drawn between Richard and the dog was cool. If you didn't like the episode or found that forced, sorry you feel that way. It was my favorite episode of the season so far.
It seems like a pretty big stretch to just immediately assume he was there to kill himself. How is it not just as likely that he's there to do drugs, bury a body, write poetry, etc?There's really no need to apologize to me. I suppose I should apologize since it seems I've struck a nerve with some of you. So, sorry about that.

If he was going to kill himself, why would he have bothered chasing the dog down for the mask? That, to me, would seem to be pretty solid evidence that he was NOT there to kill himself, through the eyes of the hobos. Or at least as solid as the evidence that you've presented for the opposite to be true. Especially considering the fact that a shotgun blast would almost definitely have blown his mask into a million pieces anyway.

It seems like a pretty big stretch to just immediately assume he was there to kill himself. How is it not just as likely that he's there to do drugs, bury a body, write poetry, etc?
Yeah I can't tell you how difficult it is for me to write poems without my trusty shotgun at my side.

It seems like a pretty big stretch to just immediately assume he was there to kill himself. How is it not just as likely that he's there to do drugs, bury a body, write poetry, etc?
Yeah I can't tell you how difficult it is for me to write poems without my trusty shotgun at my side.
Dude is in the woods, presumably miles from civilization. It wouldn't seem to be too abnormal to bring a gun along for protection.But I liked how you skipped over the other two and just focused on the one that you thought would be easiest. :thumbup:

Dude is in the woods, presumably miles from civilization. It wouldn't seem to be too abnormal to bring a gun along for protection.But I liked how you skipped over the other two and just focused on the one that you thought would be easiest. :thumbup:
Easy man, I was only busting balls. But just to cover the bases, you also don't need a gun to do drugs or bury a body. And I think it's a much bigger leap for the two men to assume he needed to go 30 miles from home and deep into the woods just to do drugs. Burying a body maybe, but again he had no shovel and no dirt on him. So I think it was perfectly logical that they would think he was there to kill himself.I thought it was pretty obvious what the one dude was telling Richard. When the guy says to Richard that the woods are for living, what did you think he meant? If he assumed Richard was in the woods to just hunt or do drugs or whatever, why get all vague and preachy about how the woods are for living?

Users who are viewing this thread