What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*NBA THREAD* Abe will be missed (5 Viewers)

I try not to get too crazy about the home team winning Games 1 and 2 of a playoff series. It's not good for OKC that they've lost both games, but in the context of the series, SAS has just held serve and the real work starts on Thursday night.
Of course you aren't to crazy about the 2-0 series. You are an optimistic OKC fan. In the context of the series the Spurs have dominated the Thunder. Spurs defensive tactics have been eye opening. And their offense has been equally impressive. I do not buy into the "holding serve" theory. The work started in Game 1 not the upcoming game 3. Its not over til the home team loses a game. Cmon. You can try to downplay the Thunder losing on the road. But you can not downplay the Spurs excellence.

5) Jackson won 55 games the year after Jordan retired the first time and was one win away from the ECF. Let's be honest. Those Bulls teams weren't THAT stacked with talent. Doing that well with Pippen as your only true star is pretty damn good.
The 1994 Bulls had three All-Stars. I think you're forgetting how good Horace Grant was overall and especially in the mid-90s. In 94, Grant was on a salary drive and since nothing motivates quite like money, he had a career year. After Grant cashed in signed with ORL, he was a key player on the last team to eliminate Michael Jordan from the playoffs. The 95 Bulls were just 47-35 and got knocked out in the second round again, even after getting a boost late in the year from the return of a pretty good SG who hadn't played in a while.
Toni Kukoc was an excellent all around basketball player. And the Bulls had consumate role players. Great all around team with a top tier offensive scheme.

5) Jackson won 55 games the year after Jordan retired the first time and was one win away from the ECF. Let's be honest. Those Bulls teams weren't THAT stacked with talent. Doing that well with Pippen as your only true star is pretty damn good.
The 1994 Bulls had three All-Stars. I think you're forgetting how good Horace Grant was overall and especially in the mid-90s. In 94, Grant was on a salary drive and since nothing motivates quite like money, he had a career year. After Grant cashed in signed with ORL, he was a key player on the last team to eliminate Michael Jordan from the playoffs. The 95 Bulls were just 47-35 and got knocked out in the second round again, even after getting a boost late in the year from the return of a pretty good SG who hadn't played in a while.
Just to be clear are you talking about three guys on the all star team that year or guys who made the all star team in like, 1980?

Just to be clear are you talking about three guys on the all star team that year or guys who made the all star team in like, 1980?
Pippen, BJ, Grant

Here's the point Ferris. Based on the history of Jackson coming to the Bulls and Jackson coming to the Lakers, I am going to make the following assumption:If Phil Jackson were the coach of the Oklahoma City Thunder, and had been all year, they would win this series against the Spurs, because the Thunder, besides being a more athletic team, would be a much better team, and Westbrook would know what to do. With Jackson as coach, the Thunder would get their rings, just as the Bulls and Lakers did. I'm not trying to diss Brooks here, but he is Doug Collins and Del Harris. He's got the talent, but doesn't know quite how to make it all work. Jackson would know.

Pippen, BJ, Grant
BJ is a pretty weak all star selection. I didn't even think to look him up. :lmao:

I try not to get too crazy about the home team winning Games 1 and 2 of a playoff series. It's not good for OKC that they've lost both games, but in the context of the series, SAS has just held serve and the real work starts on Thursday night.
Of course you aren't to crazy about the 2-0 series. You are an optimistic OKC fan.
I've too many playoff series, and made too much money fading the public overreacting from Games 1-2 of a playoff series, to make sweeping declarations before the road team wins one. And for those keeping track, the number of NBA franchises FFA users have accused me of being a biased homer for is now 9.
In the context of the series the Spurs have dominated the Thunder. Spurs defensive tactics have been eye opening. And their offense has been equally impressive.
SAS played outstanding basketball in Games 1 and 2, just as they've been playing outstanding basketball ever since they got rid of that dead weight from the University of Arizona. (1)
I do not buy into the "holding serve" theory. The work started in Game 1 not the upcoming game 3. Its not over til the home team loses a game. Cmon.
The most dominant I've ever seen an NBA team play a Game 1 was BOS in the 1985 Finals, the "Memorial Day Massacre". The Celtics destroyed the Lakers, 148-114, and broke a lot of Finals single-game scoring and shooting records in the process. It would have been easy and even reasonable to declare the Finals over after that game. But not only did BOS not win the title that year, the only other game they won in that series was on a Game 4 buzzer-beater by Dennis Johnson (2).
You can try to downplay the Thunder losing on the road. But you can not downplay the Spurs excellence.
It's hard to take this criticism seriously when you snipped the part of my post where I talked about how historically great this 20-game winning streak SAS is on right now, as well as the 31-2 run they are on since getting the team reorganized after the trading deadline. -------------------(1) Some say fishing with dynamite is unsportsmanlike. Being a sportsman isn't the point; sometimes I just like to see explosions.(2) Make up your own snarky joke about Larry Bird shirking from the big moment and passing to DJ on that play. I've had a long day.
I assume you are rooting for OKC in this series. Making you an OKC fan at this point in the game. Who are you rooting for? I assumed because you seem to gloss over the spurs wins. You acknowledge the streak, but not the actual play in this series. And you do sound like an optimistic Thunder fan. My apologies if the thunder are not your home team. I see you are an NBA fan. Are you rooting one way or another in this series?And by no means have I declared the series over.

Here's the point Ferris. Based on the history of Jackson coming to the Bulls and Jackson coming to the Lakers, I am going to make the following assumption:If Phil Jackson were the coach of the Oklahoma City Thunder, and had been all year, they would win this series against the Spurs, because the Thunder, besides being a more athletic team, would be a much better team, and Westbrook would know what to do. With Jackson as coach, the Thunder would get their rings, just as the Bulls and Lakers did. I'm not trying to diss Brooks here, but he is Doug Collins and Del Harris. He's got the talent, but doesn't know quite how to make it all work. Jackson would know.
Thats a low blow. Brooks is a much better coach than Collins and Del Harris. Completely off based. Brooks has done a great job building and coaching up the Thunder and its young young players. Not many coaches have out coached popovich.Its a good possibility that Brooks doesn't have the answers because he lacks experience. Experience Phil Jackson has. The Spurs seem to have all the answers to the test. Spurs defense has been almost perfect in the first 2 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pippen, BJ, Grant
BJ is a pretty weak all star selection. I didn't even think to look him up. :lmao:
BJ started that allstar game. :eek:

Okafor should be on the block now. Is there anybody who would take on his 2 years and $28m and give the Hornets anything of worth?

'Kev4029 said:
'Good said:
DX has Harrison Barnes listed at #7. :mellow:
If the Warriors can get healthy, I think Barnes would be a very good fit for them. Curry, Thompson, Barnes, Lee and Bogut seems like a pretty good starting lineup.
I think Barnes is one of the most overrated players in the draft

Users who are viewing this thread