What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just got back from the ER for wife and dog...both were attacked by pit (2 Viewers)

fasteddie_21

2006 NM Poker Champ
Happy 5 year anniversary to us, eh? Long story short, while walking our greyhound this evening, an unleashed, uncollared pitbull attacked them from across the street. My neighbor was the first to respond to my wife's screams and took a metal pipe to it's ribs 3 times and it wouldn't let go of my dog. When I realized what it was that I heard from just 5 feet in front of our house, I came out running and hit the dog as hard as I could. It wouldn't let go. It's owner showed up and grabbed it, trying to get it to let go. I finally was able to pry and pull it off of my dog.

I followed him to his house (a few houses away) and someone called the cops. Apparently, this is at least the 3rd time the cops have been called for this dog attacking another dog, but this is the first time it also injured a human. The missus will be ok, but we had to take her to the ER(puncture wound near her ankle on both side of her ankle) and my dog is currently in surgery, but should be (I hope) ok. The cops ticketed the dude and said animal control will be by tomorrow to quarantine the dog (tomorrow?!?!?!?!).

This is near Denver, Colorado.

Any help here would be appreciated about next steps. FWIW, we do not know the owner and have never seen him until today. He said he was working in his yard and didn't notice the dog got out until he heard the screaming.

$#%$^*#@*Y(*$%&*&!

####. Glad everybody is relatively ok. I'm not much help on the legal front, but I have to assume you have grounds here.

Annnnd he should be paying all your medical bills for wife and dog + any time off you guys have to take. If he won't pay that, I'd be suing him in small claims court (unless the bills put it beyond small claims court). I'm not normally one who likes to euthanize animals, but that dog needs to be put down. Especially since that's the THIRD time!? It's only a matter of time before that dog gets a hold of a kid. Owner is lucky he just got a ticket. I believe in some parts of the country he could go to jail.

Sorry to hear that Eddie, hope it all works out for the Missus & the dog. I'd handle everything I could legally. If that doesn't have a satisfactory outcome, well I don't know what I would do.

Stupid owners. Every time. Dog should be quarantined until your issue is settled then put down. I'm an advocate of the "breed" (there is not actually a breed called pit bull, it's a catch all for dogs that have the "look") but any individual dog that attacks and injures can not be trusted.

Stupid owners. Every time. Dog should be quarantined until your issue is settled then put down. I'm an advocate of the "breed" (there is not actually a breed called pit bull, it's a catch all for dogs that have the "look") but any individual dog that attacks and injures can not be trusted.
Well, it's a combination of stupid owners and a violent and dangerous breed of animal. If the stupid owner had a mini poodle or goldfish instead, this doesn't happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's a combination of stupid owners and a violent and dangerous breed of animal. If the stupid owner had a mini poodle or goldfish instead, this doesn't happen.
If the stupid owner had some other large dog that had vicious tendencies it would have happened. Not going down this ridiculous road again though.

If the stupid owner had some other large dog that had vicious tendencies it would have happened. Not going down this ridiculous road again though.
If you're suggesting we should outlaw large dogs with vicious tendencies, we're in agreement. Let's start with the worst offender.

"Yes I realize there are nearly 500 breeds of dog in the world, but I needed to own THIS breed because it's the coolest and makes my friends and strangers think I'm tough."

Darwin really should just reach down and wipe like half of us from the planet, let's be honest.

If you're suggesting we should outlaw large dogs with vicious tendencies, we're in agreement. Let's start with the worst offender.
No, I'm suggesting I'm not going down the path of stupid again. This dog attacked. This dog needs to be euthanized. End of story.

Goldfish on goldfish attacks are very under reported. Fear of retaliation or further attack are my theories. Not sure if they hold water.

OP - hope your wife and dog are ok, that is scary ####

Document everything. They will be paying all of your bills. If your wife had to get a rabies shot, you can add a few hundred in pain and suffering as well. Those shots are extremely painful.

The ptibull argument is very similar to the gun control argument. Pitbulls are loaded guns. They are more likely to go off while owned by irresponsible owners. They are less likely to go off with responsible owners, but it is absolutely still possible. Pitbulls in particular just happen to be a bigger gun than the rest.

No, I'm suggesting I'm not going down the path of stupid again. This dog attacked. This dog needs to be euthanized. End of story.
This story seemingly has no end.

This story, as in this particular case, certainly should have an ending.

I see a dog biting episode just about every week on Judge Judy and I have never seen her not rule in favor of whomever got bit, so you should make out on this. If he has liability insurance on his homeowner's policy, file a claim with them.

That reminds me... buying a policy for the house we're buying, the insurance agent asked for the breed of our dog... "Olde English Bulldogge" I told him. "Good... not one of the listed breeds" was his reply. I'm guessing had I told him we had a pit bull, our homeowner's insurance premium would have taken a pretty good jump. Just an fyi.

This story, as in this particular case, certainly should have an ending.
This story is but one piece in a giant mosaic of a picture of...#######it I don't know what I meant.

They should be eradicated, basically.

Hope everything turns out well. My wife walks every morning and carries a stun gun I got her last year. She has used it on more than one occasion, including this past weekend.

Dogs can come from anywhere, you just never know. She didn't have to shock the dog, just the loud sound alone is usually enough to deter.

That dog should be put down. Good luck with your pup.

Not sure how "near" Denver FE is but Denver and several surrounding areas have breed bans on pit bull type dogs.

Guess we don't agree then. Sadly someone's small child will in the not too distant future be mauled or killed by one off these vicious animals, all because some selfish ##### decided it would be hella sweet to own one. It will be an awful tragedy from which some poor family will never recover. Rest assured though, the following day, someone will be on the internet blaming the owner and chastising anyone who thinks we should limit the right to own these animals in 'Murica. Rinse, repeat.

Some tragedies actually can be prevented, if people would just use their brains and stop being so selfish. I don't care if you want to own one of these animals and subject your family to the risks by keeping it in your own home. That's your problem. But the moment you let that monster out of the house, you're subjecting my children and everyone else's children to a risk none of us signed up for.

Glad things didn't turn out worse for the OP here.

The ptibull argument is very similar to the gun control argument. Pitbulls are loaded guns. They are more likely to go off while owned by irresponsible owners. They are less likely to go off with responsible owners, but it is absolutely still possible. Pitbulls in particular just happen to be a bigger gun than the rest.
This.

Hope everything turns out OK with the OP.

We have a pit bull down the street from us and it makes me nervous. It hasn't attacked anyone, but it barks a lot and it's just so damn big.

Why do people own pit bulls?

I have a cousin who owns a pit, and she is one of those pit owners who is always going on about it on FB, about how great they are and how ignorant pit bull haters are. I never say anything, cause we've always gotten along really well, and she's a good gal, but I often roll my eyes at that crap. It's amazing how tied to a freaking dog breed some people can get.

What needs to happen is these owners need to feel the reprocussions when this happens. See a lawyer and go after him for +500k. Normally, the owner loses their dog and pays $1000 in doctor bills. Then they just buy another pit. It needs to happen where the owner loses their pit, then their retirement.

Guess we don't agree then. Sadly someone's small child will in the not too distant future be mauled or killed by one off these vicious animals, all because some selfish ##### decided it would be hella sweet to own one. It will be am awful tragedy from which some poor family will never recover. Rest assured though, the following day, someone will be on the internet the following day blaming the owner and chastising anyone who thinks we should limit the right to own these animals in 'Murica. Rinse, repeat.Some tragedies actually can be prevented, if people would just use their brains and stop being so selfish. I don't care if you want to own one of these animals and subject your family to the risks by keeping it in your own home. That's your problem. But the moment you let that monster out of the house, you're subjecting my children and everyone else's children to a risk none of us signed up for.

I'd assume your for outlawing anything that stupid people can use to accidentally kill or hurt others with? guns, cars, alcohol, etc...?

if a guy gets hammered and slams his pickup into a family of 4, are you calling for the banning of alcohol and large vehicles that can do more damage?

sorry to the OP. stupid people are the menace here, not a breed of dog.

Guess we don't agree then. Sadly someone's small child will in the not too distant future be mauled or killed by one off these vicious animals, all because some selfish ##### decided it would be hella sweet to own one. It will be am awful tragedy from which some poor family will never recover. Rest assured though, the following day, someone will be on the internet the following day blaming the owner and chastising anyone who thinks we should limit the right to own these animals in 'Murica. Rinse, repeat.Some tragedies actually can be prevented, if people would just use their brains and stop being so selfish. I don't care if you want to own one of these animals and subject your family to the risks by keeping it in your own home. That's your problem. But the moment you let that monster out of the house, you're subjecting my children and everyone else's children to a risk none of us signed up for.

I'd assume your for outlawing anything that stupid people can use to accidentally kill or hurt others with? guns, cars, alcohol, etc...?

if a guy gets hammered and slams his pickup into a family of 4, are you calling for the banning of alcohol and large vehicles that can do more damage?

So, if a schnauzer had attacked them, the damage would have been the same?

What needs to happen is these owners need to feel the reprocussions when this happens. See a lawyer and go after him for +500k. Normally, the owner loses their dog and pays $1000 in doctor bills. Then they just buy another pit. It needs to happen where the owner loses their pit, then their retirement.
You must not be familiar with the type of people that own pitbulls.

I don't have a strong position on whether or not pit bulls should be banned. That being said, I think the the issue here is one of control. A large vehicle will not escape your garage when you're not looking and run over people on its own.

:lol: at all the stereotyping in here. FFA = consistency.

Hope everyone turns out OK and that the neighbor takes responsibility, FE. GL!

You must not be familiar with the type of people that own pitbulls.
:lmao:

Well, stupid people get this breed and then the dog takes it from there.

Obviously, if the dog had a history of attacks, that's a huge problem. But let's say this was the first attack. Dog got loose from the house when the owner was in the garage and attacked the OP's wife and dog. Do you think that makes the owner stupid and irresponsible? Dogs escape the house all the time. They're dogs. Always looking for a split second when the door is swinging shut. Do you think it warrants the owner losing his retirement or getting jail time simply because his dog managed to slip out the front door?

If the answer to the above questions changes at all when the dog in question is a pit versus a poodle, then perhaps the issue really is the breed after all.

"Yes I realize there are nearly 500 breeds of dog in the world, but I needed to own THIS breed because it's the coolest and makes my friends and strangers think I'm tough."

Darwin really should just reach down and wipe like half of us from the planet, let's be honest.
If there is a place to submit applications I'd be happy to go first. Hello sweet release!

I don't have a strong position on whether or not pit bulls should be banned. That being said, I think the the issue here is one of control. A large vehicle will not escape your garage when you're not looking and run over people on its own.
This is my thoughts as well.Guns require an action by someone to be dangerous. Put bulls just need inaction, or half-hearted action to be dangerous.

Users who are viewing this thread