What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just got back from the ER for wife and dog...both were attacked by pit (2 Viewers)

So, it's a big disparity between pitbulls/rotts and all other breeds. You could lump Huskys and Bull Mastiffs there too, but I doubt we'd ever see it get anywhere close to 6% ownage (luckily).
you would if you banned those other breeds.....
No you wouldn't. There is no way that a 110-130 lb dog becomes as popularly owned as a pitbull to the tune of 6% of dogs owned. No. #######. Way.

And Siberian Huskys are somewhat limited as well due to their coats as to where they can live.

The Chihuahua is actually meaner than a pit bull...with the caveat that it can't rip your windpipe out of your neck...Pit bulls just can't ever be trusted....Motorcycle riders have a saying of it is not if you are going to crash but when...Pit bull owners should have a similar saying of its not if my dog is going to bite somebody but when. Too many nice dogs needing homes that nobody should ever have any dog that bites.

Brother in Law owns a large (at least 75-80lbs) blue pit bull... Great dog!! He rarely leaves the yard, but if he does it is on a leash. When they have company over, they'll put him in the basement or backyard, not because he is threat, just because of the perception. People who aren't scared will go into the basement or backyard and pet him, really great dog... My 1.5 year old son hopped on him and tried riding him like a horse, I'm very protective over my son and was standing right there, but the dog represents no danger and I wasn't worried at all. My boy then gave the dog his string cheese and the dog proceeded to lick my son's face. They have been very responsible owners and the dog really is a great.

On the other hand, as with all breeds, there are bad dogs and terrible owners... Banning Pit Bulls and all of the sudden Dolbermans or Rots become the target.
A bit of a sidebar, but this seems pretty insane to me.

Anecdotal, but a rot attacked two kids here in a park. One was put in the hospital for 3 days. It was the third time the dog had bit so they put in solitary for a month while they waited on a hearing.

So sadly, it "died" in confinement. The owner was so pissed she sent it to Houston to a medical examiner. Never heard how it all turned out.

The Chihuahua is actually meaner than a pit bull...with the caveat that it can't rip your windpipe out of your neck...Pit bulls just can't ever be trusted....Motorcycle riders have a saying of it is not if you are going to crash but when...Pit bull owners should have a similar saying of its not if my dog is going to bite somebody but when. Too many nice dogs needing homes that nobody should ever have any dog that bites.
Hello, exactly

Anecdotal, but a rot attacked two kids here in a park. One was put in the hospital for 3 days. It was the third time the dog had bit so they put in solitary for a month while they waited on a hearing.

So sadly, it "died" in confinement. The owner was so pissed she sent it to Houston to a medical examiner. Never heard how it all turned out.
That owner should seriously just kill himself.

Now you're starting to make some sense

Just saw that on Facebook. Hope you guys are okay. I got a couple legal connections up there. Let me know if you want me to contact them.

It was actually a single woman. Her facebook page was wide open for awhile. It was interesting to say the least. She may have been having a relationship. with that dog imo. It was creepy as hell.

Obviously, if the dog had a history of attacks, that's a huge problem. But let's say this was the first attack. Dog got loose from the house when the owner was in the garage and attacked the OP's wife and dog. Do you think that makes the owner stupid and irresponsible? Dogs escape the house all the time. They're dogs. Always looking for a split second when the door is swinging shut. Do you think it warrants the owner losing his retirement or getting jail time simply because his dog managed to slip out the front door?

If the answer to the above questions changes at all when the dog in question is a pit versus a poodle, then perhaps the issue really is the breed after all.
Yes. Pet owners need to be responsible for damage caused by their pets.

The ptibull argument is very similar to the gun control argument. Pitbulls are loaded guns. They are more likely to go off while owned by irresponsible owners. They are less likely to go off with responsible owners, but it is absolutely still possible. Pitbulls in particular just happen to be a bigger gun than the rest.
unfortunately, this is A poor argument. While A pitbull owner owns A dog, and A gun owner owns A gun, A gun does not have the ability to think for itself or fire A shot on it's own. A pitbull does.

Last edited by a moderator:
What needs to happen is these owners need to feel the reprocussions when this happens. See a lawyer and go after him for +500k. Normally, the owner loses their dog and pays $1000 in doctor bills. Then they just buy another pit. It needs to happen where the owner loses their pit, then their retirement.
This.

Dog goes after my significant other, I'm going after the owner. I'm not a litigious guy, but I would be punitive as hell here. Lawyer up, IMO.

I hope everything turns out alright for your dog fasteddie, and hopefully your wife isn't too freaked out be the whole experience.

The ptibull argument is very similar to the gun control argument. Pitbulls are loaded guns. They are more likely to go off while owned by irresponsible owners. They are less likely to go off with responsible owners, but it is absolutely still possible. Pitbulls in particular just happen to be a bigger gun than the rest.
unfortunately, this is A poor argument. While A pitbull owner owns A dog, and A gun owner owns A gun, A gun does not have the ability to think for itself or fire A shot on it's own. A pitbull does.
Does that make you more or less comfortable to be around?

Obviously, if the dog had a history of attacks, that's a huge problem. But let's say this was the first attack. Dog got loose from the house when the owner was in the garage and attacked the OP's wife and dog. Do you think that makes the owner stupid and irresponsible? Dogs escape the house all the time. They're dogs. Always looking for a split second when the door is swinging shut. Do you think it warrants the owner losing his retirement or getting jail time simply because his dog managed to slip out the front door?

If the answer to the above questions changes at all when the dog in question is a pit versus a poodle, then perhaps the issue really is the breed after all.
There is a difference between actual damages, and punitive damages and/or jail time, which is what people were suggesting.

Good points. Unrelated, some folks think buying dogs from breeders, even reputable ones, is irresponsible (or even immoral).
why? if the answer is because the dog pounds are already overloaded, that's a direct result of backyard breeding.
Because, the argument goes, if you want a dog, you should adopt one. In other words, for every dog you are purchasing from a breeder, there is a dog being put to sleep that you could have saved.

There is a difference between actual damages, and punitive damages and/or jail time, which is what people were suggesting.
Two dogs mauled and killed a jogger Michigan in July. The owners have been arrested for second degree murder.

Two dogs mauled and killed a jogger Michigan in July. The owners have been arrested for second degree murder.
Interesting. Did the dogs have a history of violence?

Glad your wife and dog seem to be okay. My wife and I are both in the insurance world. I sell the stuff for one major carrier. She pays out claims for another Top 5 carrier. She's an injury claim rep, and gets dog bite claims ALL of the time. While I agree with the many posts that it's the owner's fault not the dog/breeds... it doesn't change the fact that she tells me that of all the dog bite claims that come across her desk, at least 80% are pit bulls.

Hopefully this person had a homeowner's or renters insurance policy. They normally come with at least $100,000 in personal liability. Put their insurance carrier on notice that you were injured, find out how long the statutes are in your state to settle (where I'm at is 2 years). Ankle bites obviously won't pay out as much as facial bites for cosmetic purposes. Document everything from lost wages, trips to physical therapy, and keep all of those medical bills. You'll get medical bills, lost wages, + an amount for pain and suffering.

According to the story, yes. There was a lawsuit already in place for another bite, and neighbors had apparently starting carrying guns with them in case it happened again. Personally, I feel the charge is appropriate here.

So, it's a big disparity between pitbulls/rotts and all other breeds. You could lump Huskys and Bull Mastiffs there too, but I doubt we'd ever see it get anywhere close to 6% ownage (luckily).
No you wouldn't. There is no way that a 110-130 lb dog becomes as popularly owned as a pitbull to the tune of 6% of dogs owned. No. #######. Way.

And Siberian Huskys are somewhat limited as well due to their coats as to where they can live.
it doesn't have to be Bullmastiffs. Ban pitbulls and then Rottweilers, Dobermans, Shepherds and Huskies will become more popular. whichever of these becomes the dog of choice for idiots is what will be on top of the bite list.

look at Chows and multiply there numbers to get to 6% :o

Yes....I added a link.

Good points. Unrelated, some folks think buying dogs from breeders, even reputable ones, is irresponsible (or even immoral).
why? if the answer is because the dog pounds are already overloaded, that's a direct result of backyard breeding.
Because, the argument goes, if you want a dog, you should adopt one. In other words, for every dog you are purchasing from a breeder, there is a dog being put to sleep that you could have saved.
and where is the dog I could have saved coming from? a backyard breeder or someone who couldn't take the time or money to have their dog spayed/neutered. that's the problem

it doesn't have to be Bullmastiffs. Ban pitbulls and then Rottweilers, Dobermans, Shepherds and Huskies will become more popular. whichever of these becomes the dog of choice for idiots is what will be on top of the bite list.

Yes/No. While I understand your point, it is the jaw strength and terrier stubbornness (won't let go) that makes the pit bull so dangerous - not just their size and general strength. As such those other dogs might see an uptick in reported bites if pitbulls were suddenly to go away but it wouldn't approach nearly the destructive level that pitbulls introduce.

and where is the dog I could have saved coming from? a backyard breeder or someone who couldn't take the time or money to have their dog spayed/neutered. that's the problem
I'm just stating the argument.

I agree with you that if you are set on owning a Pit or a Rott, you're better off buying it from an established breeder. I just don't understand why someone would be so set on buying those particular breeds, but to each his own.

Only read the first post but I'm guessing the pitbull defenders have already claimed it's the owners fault his dog is aggressive.

I agree with you that if you are set on owning a Pit or a Rott, you're better off buying it from an established breeder. I just don't understand why someone would be so set on buying those particular breeds, but to each his own.
its a bad argument. rather than getting pissed at the people buying from breeders, the outrage should be directed at the people breeding dogs who have no business breeding dogs and the people buying from them. its the same as buying a dog at the mall.

its a bad argument. rather than getting pissed at the people buying from breeders, the outrage should be directed at the people breeding dogs who have no business breeding dogs and the people buying from them. its the same as buying a dog at the mall.
You seem really defensive.

Thanks everyone. Got a call from the vet a little while ago. Asher is out of surgery and, simply by pure luck, didn't have any broken bones, his arteries, trachea and all important parts were missed. Just fairly serious muscle damage. He's should make a close to 100% recovery. The missus is really sore, stitches etc. but will recover.

Steelerfever, how does one go about finding out if/who his insurance is with? Or do I contact our home insurance? And thru work, we have a legal advice thing we can call, so that is the next step. We have to fill our police forms and the animal control guy stopped by saying that he wasn't going to quarantine the dog. I calmly told him that yes, yes he is. He got the point and will be quarantining the dog this afternoon, I guess.

Documenting everything and have a ton of witnesses, so we have that going for us. I very much am NOT the litigious sort, however....

Thanks everyone. Got a call from the vet a little while ago. Asher is out of surgery and, simply by pure luck, didn't have any broken bones, his arteries, trachea and all important parts were missed. Just fairly serious muscle damage. He's should make a close to 100% recovery. The missus is really sore, stitches etc. but will recover.

Steelerfever, how does one go about finding out if/who his insurance is with? Or do I contact our home insurance? And thru work, we have a legal advice thing we can call, so that is the next step. We have to fill our police forms and the animal control guy stopped by saying that he wasn't going to quarantine the dog. I calmly told him that yes, yes he is. He got the point and will be quarantining the dog this afternoon, I guess.

Documenting everything and have a ton of witnesses, so we have that going for us. I very much am NOT the litigious sort, however....
Has the owner made any sort of offer to cover your expenses?

Eh, the legal system, despite its philosophical claim not to be, is results oriented. In my jurisdiction, and in many others, there is a criminal statute criminalizing the owner's reckless or negligent behavior by letting the dog get out. It's generally not a serious crime and I haven't seen much jail time come with it unless the damage is near death.

Glad to hear that damage may not be too horrible. Did the animal control officer give any reason why he initially wasn't going to quarantine the dog?

Yes/No. While I understand your point, it is the jaw strength and terrier stubbornness (won't let go) that makes the pit bull so dangerous - not just their size and general strength. As such those other dogs might see an uptick in reported bites if pitbulls were suddenly to go away but it wouldn't approach nearly the destructive level that pitbulls introduce.
Rotts and German Shepherds have a stronger bite. Mastiffs and Dobermans are thought to have a stronger bite as well.

Dog should be put down, period. Once they attack a human - forget about it.

Owners will be fully responsible for all damages. Medical bills, pain and suffering, etc. If they have a homeowners or umbrella policy you will be talking to their insurance company. I would speak to an attorney. If anybody, including those on this board, start giving you namby pamby BS about you contributing to a litigious society screw 'em.

I tried that and decided not to. Why? Because it seemed like every single dog was a pit mix. Oh, cute lab. What? lab/pit mix? no thanks.

He apologized immediately afterward but have not seen him since. And the reason he wasn't going to quarantine the dog was the officer who contacted him (via email) didn't indicate in the email that it was necessary. W-T-F?!? The owner has 'quarantined' it in the house, but the animal control guy said that he's had issues w/ the owner previously and doesn't think he wouldn't let the dog in the yard again. You can make this #### up. At that point, I got a little more...aggressive informing him that he will be quarantining the dog. Everyone in the neighborhood is at risk otherwise. He agreed. I really don't want to say too much more than that fellas, as I'm sure you'll understand.

Thanks again for the thoughts, prayers, and well wishes. I'll follow the thread and will update when I can and when it's prudent to do so. Thanks.

how do I seem defensive?

backyard breeders are a big problem. its the reason the dog pounds are full. the people that buy from them allow them to keep breeding. the backyard breeders aren't concerned with temperament of the dogs they sell. their only concern is the $400/pup they get. 'pit bulls' from backyard breeders are part of why their bite rates are where they're at. pit bulls weren't a problem 50-60 years ago.

How is this possible after the dog has bitten a human? At the very least they need to ensure that the pit does not pose a threat to anyone else. That seems very irresponsible to me. Have you had any contact with the owner? Did the police mention that there was the possibility that they would face any type of criminal charges?

He apologized immediately afterward but have not seen him since. And the reason he wasn't going to quarantine the dog was the officer who contacted him (via email) didn't indicate in the email that it was necessary. W-T-F?!? The owner has 'quarantined' it in the house, but the animal control guy said that he's had issues w/ the owner previously and doesn't think he wouldn't let the dog in the yard again. You can make this #### up. At that point, I got a little more...aggressive informing him that he will be quarantining the dog. Everyone in the neighborhood is at risk otherwise. He agreed. I really don't want to say too much more than that fellas, as I'm sure you'll understand.

Thanks again for the thoughts, prayers, and well wishes. I'll follow the thread and will update when I can and when it's prudent to do so. Thanks.
I'd stay on top of the guy, Eddie. the dog should be put down.

we had a guy behind our sub who had 3 pitbulls that would frequently get out and terrorize our neighborhood, kids getting chased into trampolines to get away and such. we filed many complaints and eventually the dogs were taken away and put down. dogs like these with owners like these are a ticking time bomb.

how do I seem defensive?

backyard breeders are a big problem. its the reason the dog pounds are full. the people that buy from them allow them to keep breeding. the backyard breeders aren't concerned with temperament of the dogs they sell. their only concern is the $400/pup they get. 'pit bulls' from backyard breeders are part of why their bite rates are where they're at. pit bulls weren't a problem 50-60 years ago.
You seem defensive about being told that you seem defensive. ;) I'm kidding of course, but no one was pissed or expressing any outrage about your decision to buy your dog from a breeder. But it does seem that most of your posts are about how everyone else is doing it wrong, and that everything you've done with respect to owning a breed that can kill is right.

That said, I'll admit that everything you've done would appear to drasticallly reduce the chance that your dog will kill someone:

1) Purchase from a reputable breeder (that breeds for temperament).

2) Properly train the dog.

3) Make sure the dog is socialized.

4) Don't mistreat the dog.

5) Make sure the dog is properly supervised and secured.

But what I don't get is why anyone would want to own a breed where such measures need to be taken to avoid catastrophe.

As for your concerns regarding disreputable breeders, what is your proposed solution? Do you recommend outlawing "backyard breeders" and sales of pets at pet stores? Should we shut down shelter adoptions as they may introduce questionable dogs into the public?

how do I seem defensive?

You seem defensive about being told that you seem defensive. ;) I'm kidding of course, but no one was pissed or expressing any outrage about your decision to buy your dog from a breeder. But it does seem that most of your posts are about how everyone else is doing it wrong, and that everything you've done with respect to owning a breed that can kill is right.

That said, I'll admit that everything you've done would appear to drasticallly reduce the chance that your dog will kill someone:

1) Purchase from a reputable breeder (that breeds for temperament).

2) Properly train the dog.

3) Make sure the dog is socialized.

4) Don't mistreat the dog.

5) Make sure the dog is properly supervised and secured.

But what I don't get is why anyone would want to own a breed where such measures need to be taken to avoid catastrophe.

As for your concerns regarding disreputable breeders, what is your proposed solution? Do you recommend outlawing "backyard breeders" and sales of pets at pet stores? Should we shut down shelter adoptions as they may introduce questionable dogs into the public?
:goodposting: x 1000

Rotts and German Shepherds have a stronger bite. Mastiffs and Dobermans are thought to have a stronger bite as well.
Actually after looking this up German Shepherds and Pitbulls are more or less equal. Mastiffs and Rottweilers are #s 1 and 2 respectively. Of course, Rottweilers were bred as cart dogs originally and Mastiffs are 3 times the size of most pitbulls and neither has the terrier instinct to never let go, ever.

This.
except for some weird reason most people who accidentally shoot someone don't get prosecuted. I'm all for your gun rights but you should have insurance on them and do jail time if anyone ever gets "accidentally" shot with your gun.

Dog bite statistics from 1982-2013 (molosser breeds):

Breed - Bodily harm - Child Victims - Adult Victims - Deaths - Maimings - % of total dog population

Pit bull 2792 1114 1047 263 1677 6.0%

Rottweiler 514 290 136 81 294 2%

Husky 79 49 5 25 24 .07%

Wolf hybrid 85 70 5 19 49

Bullmastiff 105 42 39 15 61 .02%

German shep. 102 63 30 15 63 2.1%

Pit bull-mix 191 75 45 12 102

Akita 68 43 21 8 50 1%

Boxer 62 19 21 7 29 1.4%

Chow 58 37 17 7 39 .009%

Ger. shep-mix 43 28 12 7 28

Doberman 18 9 9 7 10 1.4

These numbers are pretty staggering to me. Big disparity between pitbulls and all other breeds.
My work has led me to become very familiar with thousands of apartment complexes and their pet policy. The list above is exactly the breeds that are restricted in 99% of apartment complexes across the USA.

Why? Insurance. Why do insurers insist on banning these breeds? Hmmm....

Users who are viewing this thread