What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official 2014 MLB Regular Season-All over but the shouting (1 Viewer)

I honestly think you folks are sleeping on him. PED's or not, he's one of the greatest players ever. Now he stews for a year, working out twice a day like a madman, planning his return to greatness. I'm just trying to help you guys get a leg up on the competition. :shrug:
hes an old man that misses alot of games due to injury. When he is healthy hell be solid.
Steroids wear down your joints. He's clean now. Get out there and BUY!
Not quite sure those joints just regenerate when you get off of teh juice.

I honestly think you folks are sleeping on him. PED's or not, he's one of the greatest players ever. Now he stews for a year, working out twice a day like a madman, planning his return to greatness. I'm just trying to help you guys get a leg up on the competition. :shrug:
hes an old man that misses alot of games due to injury. When he is healthy hell be solid.
Steroids wear down your joints. He's clean now. Get out there and BUY!
Not quite sure those joints just regenerate when you get off of teh juice.
They improve. Or so I've heard.

Michael Wacha will be left out of the Cardinals' postseason rotation. link

I'll just leave this here.
He's been pretty iffy since returning from injury, no?
Yup. And guess who hasn't had a significant injury that kept him from pitching in the postseason?

I have no idea if the way the Cards managed his usage in 2013 contributed to his injury, not saying that it did. I'm just wondering when we'll hear from the execs and journalists who (wrongly) compared Strasburg's 2012 situation to the usage of Medlen and others in 2012 or in this case Wacha in 2013. Given that they followed the exact same protocol with Zimmermann, Strasburg and now Giolito with pretty good results it seems like maybe the Nats should finally get the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe we'll hear from them when Stras makes his postseason debut on Friday- but so far, crickets.

Yup. And guess who hasn't had a significant injury that kept him from pitching in the postseason?

I have no idea if the way the Cards managed his usage in 2013 contributed to his injury, not saying that it did. I'm just wondering when we'll hear from the execs and journalists who (wrongly) compared Strasburg's 2012 situation to the usage of Medlen and others in 2012 or in this case Wacha in 2013. Given that they followed the exact same protocol with Zimmermann, Strasburg and now Giolito with pretty good results it seems like maybe the Nats should finally get the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe we'll hear from them when Stras makes his postseason debut on Friday- but so far, crickets.
Will bump when Brandon Finnegan visits Dr. Andrews in 2016

matt harvey & jose fernandez are 2 guys who had innings limits and then broke down. Meanwhile, sale has been ridden hard and only on dl trip in his career. Maybe it just doesnt matter

Who was comparing Wacha to Strasburg? His 2013 usage and Strasburg's 2012 usage have nothing in common.

Last edited by a moderator:

matt harvey & jose fernandez are 2 guys who had innings limits and then broke down. Meanwhile, sale has been ridden hard and only on dl trip in his career. Maybe it just doesnt matter
I'm not talking about innings limits here, I'm talking about how those innings are distributed. People killed the Nats because they supposedly could have "saved" Strasburg's innings for the postseason (ignoring the fact that the 2012 Nats weren't expected to contend, but whatever) and compared him to Medlen in particular, who did make a start that postseason because he'd worked out of the bullpen to start the season. Then last year a couple people drew the comparison to Wacha (ignoring the fact that Wacha didn't have TJ surgery but again, whatever).

I don't think anyone really has a perfect grasp on what causes pitcher injuries. But I think the Nationals have a much better clue than the people that trashed them two years ago and compared the Strasburg shutdown to Medlen and Wacha, among others. I don't know if the method really does work or if they've just gotten lucky, but I knew better than to assume they were wrong like so many others did. Mostly I'm just amused looking back at the quotes and columns now. Maybe Strasburg or Zimmermann and Giolito all get hurt in their very next starts, who knows. But to date you can't really argue with the success of the rehab program.

Who was comparing Wacha to Strasburg? His 2013 usage and Strasburg's 2012 usage have nothing in common.
Click the link in the "I'll just leave this here" post.

Reads like Knobler was using the handling of Wacha as a mechanism for pushing the angle of his Strasburg story. He has to repeatedly state "he didn't say that" because he's drawing his own conclusions. The lack of an injury for Wacha in 2013 makes his usage completely irrelevant to the usage of Strasburg in 2012. You don't need Danny Knobler (who lost his job with CBS over the offseason) to come back and admit that to make it so.

Reads like Knobler was using the handling of Wacha as a mechanism for pushing the angle of his Strasburg story. He has to repeatedly state "he didn't say that" because he's drawing his own conclusions. The lack of an injury on Wacha makes his usage completely irrelevant to the usage of Strasburg's. You don't need Danny Knobler (who lost his job with CBS over the offseason) to come back and admit that to make it so.
Yup, I agree with you. My issue is with the media (and some front office types- don't know if Mozeliak was one or if Knobler was reading too much into his comments) and how all the people who rushed to condemn it are silent now that the examples they chose to use have been lost or rendered ineffective due to injury. Not trying to say my team was right and other teams were wrong or anything like that. Just amused by the silence.

Sometimes it plays a role. Most of the time it doesn't. I can tell you I wasn't rooting for Sciosca and I won't be rooting for Yost.

Users who are viewing this thread