What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Montee Ball (2 Viewers)

I cut him loose. Team looks so much more dangerous with Hillman at RB. Hard to see Ball getting his starting gig back unless the fumbles start showing up for Hillman.

I cut him loose. Team looks so much more dangerous with Hillman at RB. Hard to see Ball getting his starting gig back unless the fumbles start showing up for Hillman.
I wonder what Ball would have did with the holes Hillman is all of a sudden getting.

I wonder what Ball would have did with the holes Hillman is all of a sudden getting.
Well, it could have been the world's worst timing for Ball, true... but Hillman (SO FAR) has seized the moment. Watching the two together,although briefly, reminding me of Richardson/Bradshaw 2013. There were never any holes for T-Rich either... then they magically opened up when Bradshaw came in.

Well, it could have been the world's worst timing for Ball, true... but Hillman (SO FAR) has seized the moment. Watching the two together,although briefly, reminding me of Richardson/Bradshaw 2013. There were never any holes for T-Rich either... then they magically opened up when Bradshaw came in.
Ball will be the GL back and Hillman earned some reps, Ball is still going to get a good bit of carries.

Ball will be the GL back and Hillman earned some reps, Ball is still going to get a good bit of carries.
Groin injury, tough to get that explosiveness back... I wonder now if it was bothering him all along this season. He looked slow out of the gate starting in week 1.

Groin injury, tough to get that explosiveness back... I wonder now if it was bothering him all along this season. He looked slow out of the gate starting in week 1.
Players heal well with the technology and medical science teams have access too.

Technology can't heal the body. I don't care how smart your doctors are.
Technology helps the body everyday thanks in part because of how smart some doctors are. Why do players use Hyperbaric chambers? Surgeries which are made possible by technology? Technology allows stem cell treatments and so on.

I'm holding out hope (cause that's all I can do). Good thing is that Anderson has been non-existing. I can see Ball coming back into a timeshare, but being the red-zone back.

I completely missed the boat on Ball. Thought he was a can't miss fantasy star this year, and he flopped big time.

Totally this.

Still stuck with Ball tho. Not worth much at this point

That sounds like a convenient excuse for Ball. Hillman may just be better at finding and exploding through the existing holes.

Players heal well with the technology and medical science teams have access too.
He also had the appendix surgery before the season and didn't seem to recover too quickly.

Ilov80s said:
I'm hanging on to Ball and I'm not really sure why. Might as well see where it goes.
Agreed, Moreno looked like a lost cause too.

I'm content with having swapped Ingram and Cadet for Ball, have Thompson but not Hillman.

In dynasty, he's a clear hold. In redraft it's more murky. The team evaluated their running backs, with Ball and Hillman both on the roster, for a solid 18 months before this season, and Ball was soundly declared the winner. He missed the entirety of training camp and still was put in as the starting RB immediately.

There's not been a lot of talk about it, but I'd have sworn I read an article suggesting there were whispers in the Broncos locker room that Ball was never healthy and was playing hurt. Of course, now that I go to find it, I can't seem to locate it, but regardless, I'm not sure Ball has been 100%. It would explain a lot if true.

IMO this feels similar to the Le'Veon Bell hate last year (in the sense of his "inefficiency"). It may be a lost season for Ball, but I doubt a few weeks (or even a month) of Hillman playing well erases 18 months of Ball outplaying him and being the coaching staff's choice. Ball may yet need surgery in the offseason, so I'm not sure we can count on much this year (which is why I made a quick trade for Hillman after incorrectly handcuffing with Anderson in dynasty), but I'd expect Ball comes back strong in 2015, and much like Bell, if he's a little quicker and the OL improves just a little, he could look like a completely different player.

Agreed. Maybe, as a Broncos fan, I am just jaded by several fumbles he had last year in bad spots, but when I watch him play, he is just another RB. Obviously, he is in a great situation, and if he plays a lot, he should be productive, but I wouldn't be surprised if he busts this year. I'm just not sold on him at his current ADP.
I don't like being right cause a guy got hurt, but Ball had bust written all over him. The Broncos running game simply looks a lot better without him.

Agreed. Maybe, as a Broncos fan, I am just jaded by several fumbles he had last year in bad spots, but when I watch him play, he is just another RB. Obviously, he is in a great situation, and if he plays a lot, he should be productive, but I wouldn't be surprised if he busts this year. I'm just not sold on him at his current ADP.
I don't like being right cause a guy got hurt, but Ball had bust written all over him. The Broncos running game simply looks a lot better without him.
So Ball had bust written all over him? What did Hillman have written all over him until he busted loose recently? I said it before, I wonder what a talent like Ball would have done with the holes Hillman is all of a sudden getting.

We can wonder all day, but it is what it is. That TD Hillman broke off the other day (the 37-yarder or whatever) is a play Ball probably would have gotten 8-10 yards cause of how big the hole was, and then because of his lack of burst and wiggle, would have gotten tackled by someone. I was never a big Hillman fan, but he is showing a burst that the running game needs. It sure beats Ball plodding ahead for 3 yards every time.

So Ball had bust written all over him? What did Hillman have written all over him until he busted loose recently? I said it before, I wonder what a talent like Ball would have done with the holes Hillman is all of a sudden getting.
Hillman has made a few nice runs, but take away the 37 yard TD, and he was 13-37, less than 3 yards a carry. Granted, he looks better than Ball, and Ball is not capable of that 37-yard run, but aside form a couple of good runs, Hillman's not tearing it up either. I'm still intrigued by Thompson, who's looked good between the tackles in limited action.

Ah, the ole "take away his best play" game. Gimme a break. Hillman is averaged 4.7 YPC the last three games on 53 carries against the number 1, 5 and 8 defenses against the run. Not sure that constitutes "tearing it up," but as a Broncos fan, I'll take it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, the ole "take away his best play" game. Gimme a break. Hillman is averaged 4.7 YPC the last three games on 53 carries against the number 1, 5 and 8 defenses against the run. Not sure that constitutes "tearing it up," but as a Broncos fan, I'll take it.
49ers defense without Bowman & Willis is not n.1, 5 or 8 against the run.

This Ball bashing is funny. Wasnt trying to avoid the pun.

Ball played Week 1 and did well against a good Indy D. with 23/67/1 and 2/16

Week 2 played KC and went 12/60 and 3/29

Week 3 they lost to Seattle in Seattle and had a bad game.

Week 4 BYE

Week 5 Hurt early.

Glad everyone is really keeping the perspective here, especially in the last few games Denver are blowing out teams and running more then they did earlier in the year. This type of stuff people notice is why some owners get the jump on others. The bad fantasy owners only see the end result, while the good ones see the reason for it.

Easy for some to say Ball sucks, but when you put it in perspective, well.

I never said he sucked; I said he was a) nothing special, and b) had bust written all over him this year considering his ADP. I said in multiple threads this past summer that Ball was very high on my AVOID list.

Averaging under 3 YPC against Indy is doing well?

They were blowing Indy out early, too, and maybe it would have stayed that way had they had a lead RB then who was capable of grinding the clock with 1st downs (see: not Monte Ball).

It's funny in your synopsis on the Seattle game that you failed to point out that he fumbled on the first play of the game and gave the Seahawks an easy 3 points (in a game that ultimately went to overtime and saw the Broncos lose).

Again, I am a Broncos fan, so the last thing I want is for him to fail when he is in there, but he just looks like a stiff to me. He is only gonna get you what the line gives him.

I never said he sucked; I said he was a) nothing special, and b) had bust written all over him this year considering his ADP. I said in multiple threads this past summer that Ball was very high on my AVOID list.

Averaging under 3 YPC against Indy is doing well?

They were blowing Indy out early, too, and maybe it would have stayed that way had they had a lead RB then who was capable of grinding the clock with 1st downs (see: not Monte Ball).

Again, I am a Broncos fan, so the last thing I want is for him to fail when he is in there, but he just looks like a stiff to me. He is only gonna get you what the line gives him.
Ball went 119/560/4 (4.6 ypc) and 20/145, so if that type of running in an offense led by Manning doesn't warrant his ADP, what does?

He played 3 games and got hurt in his fourth. Didnt you say "I don't like being right cause a guy got hurt, but Ball had bust written all over him." so clearly you have a bone to pick so you can be right.

Week 4 BYE

Week 5 Hurt early.

Glad everyone is really keeping the perspective here, especially in the last few games Denver are blowing out teams and running more then they did earlier in the year. This type of stuff people notice is why some owners get the jump on others. The bad fantasy owners only see the end result, while the good ones see the reason for it.

The reason Denver is running more is that they now have a better running back. You look at the burst Hillman has vs Ball and it's easy to see the improvement in the running game. I don't think Ball sucks, he just not the best running back on the roster. Good running game opens up the passing game more which equals more blowouts. It's not that hard.

Chaka said:
He also had the appendix surgery before the season and didn't seem to recover too quickly.
My wife left the hospital 5 hours after her appendectomy - went to a show and got drinks with friends that very night.

I dropped Ball in my redraft league without a second thought.

Week 4 BYE

Week 5 Hurt early.

The reason Denver is running more is that they now have a better running back. You look at the burst Hillman has vs Ball and it's easy to see the improvement in the running game. I don't think Ball sucks, he just not the best running back on the roster. Good running game opens up the passing game more which equals more blowouts. It's not that hard.
Denver didn't blow out the Jets and Hillman netted exactly 100 yards on the ground. That's against a bottom 5 defense.

Hillman wasn't exactly lights out against San Fran or Arizona.

I won't say Ball is better, but Hillman isn't showing himself to be a great RB either.

Chaka said:
My wife left the hospital 5 hours after her appendectomy - went to a show and got drinks with friends that very night.

Did she also have to run through five 300 pound and about six 225 pound men while they were trying to chase her and tackle her at full speed over and over about 20 times that night with a little kick to the abdomen for giggles after they got off her after chasing her and tackling her?

If so get a police report.

We can wonder all day, but it is what it is. That TD Hillman broke off the other day (the 37-yarder or whatever) is a play Ball probably would have gotten 8-10 yards cause of how big the hole was, and then because of his lack of burst and wiggle, would have gotten tackled by someone. I was never a big Hillman fan, but he is showing a burst that the running game needs. It sure beats Ball plodding ahead for 3 yards every time.
Not to downplay Hillman, but it is ironic that Hillman's biggest run was where he actually misread his blocks on a play that was designed to go right. So really, if Hillman had ran correctly, he too may have only gotten 8-10 yds. I'm not trying to defend Ball's inefficiency, but it is a little funny that Hillman got rewarded by running the wrong direction.

Not to downplay Hillman, but it is ironic that Hillman's biggest run was where he actually misread his blocks on a play that was designed to go right. So really, if Hillman had ran correctly, he too may have only gotten 8-10 yds. I'm not trying to defend Ball's inefficiency, but it is a little funny that Hillman got rewarded by running the wrong direction.
Huh? I would tend to look at that as a player seeing a bigger hole was open somewhere else and made a big play out of it; not every play is gonna go exactly by design. Perhaps Hillman just had an instinct that resulted in a big play. It's been known to happen.

Week 4 BYE

Week 5 Hurt early.

Denver didn't blow out the Jets and Hillman netted exactly 100 yards on the ground. That's against a bottom 5 defense.

I won't say Ball is better, but Hillman isn't showing himself to be a great RB either.
Again, don't have to be a great RB in this offense to have great results.

Chaka said:
Technology can't heal the body. I don't care how smart your doctors are.
Technology helps the body everyday thanks in part because of how smart some doctors are. Why do players use Hyperbaric chambers? Surgeries which are made possible by technology? Technology allows stem cell treatments and so on.
You're reaching.
As someone who every day works with patients with injuries and surgeries, I will say that technology definitely helps improve healing time.

Although as I tell my patients who think they can go back to sport 6 months after an ACL surgery because their favorite athlete did, steroids and other "helping agents" also help

Chaka said:

Great analogy! How many 320 lb DTs did she get hit by at the show?

Chaka said:

Did she also have to run through five 300 pound and about six 225 pound men while they were trying to chase her and tackle her at full speed over and over about 20 times that night with a little kick to the abdomen for giggles after they got off her after chasing her and tackling her?

If so get a police report.
Ha! I love the couch potatoe or former hs athlete that thinks they are someone with knowledge about recovery time or healing time because they had an injury a long time ago, the "same" surgery or they know someone who also had that. When they cut your core open (doesn't matter how small the incision) to remove something, and your job is to be as fit and strong as you can. And most of your strength is lost in a weak core, you're probably going to take a longer time to recover than Mrs. Daisey who was able to go out for margaritas the next night with her girlfriends. Just my professional opinion, that I get paid daily for

I am not sure I buy the premise that there are suddenly more/better holes along the Denver line. It is very possible that there are the same number but Hillman is just quicker at identifying them and/or getting to them.

Week 4 BYE

Week 5 Hurt early.

We see what we want to see. I have been a Ball supporter :excited: , and owner, since day one but objectively Hillman looks better and it seems pretty easy to blame it on external factors but both Ball and Hillman are playing with the same 10 guys around them and against objectively equivalent teams (Colts, Chiefs, Seahawks does not look tougher then Cardinals, Jets, Niners) and Hillman has looked better by a pretty wide margin.

You are promoting Ball as doing well with 55 carries for 172 yards (9 for 62 receiving) but downplaying Hillman for putting up 240 yards on the exact same number of carries (8 for 52 receiving). That feels disingenuous.

I think when Ball returns he will be given his starting role back but he won't be dominating touches the way he did in the first three games.

Week 4 BYE

Week 5 Hurt early.

would you say Hillman has had great results?

Week 4 BYE

Week 5 Hurt early.

100+ total yards in two games and 2 TDs in one of them, yes.

Week 4 BYE

Week 5 Hurt early.

Agreed. Certainly better then Ball's results by a wide margin.

Week 4 BYE

Week 5 Hurt early.

Circumstance obviously doesnt matter to some.

This is just silly. You guys holding on to Ball better start writing/signing petitions or praying for Hillman fumbles... and with respect to the latter, I believe he buys a bit more rope with every passing game.

Look, things change very fast... call it stock-up/stock-down, whatever... two weeks ago it was CJ Anderson that was "clearly so much" better than Hillman, and now he's healthy and no where on the radar. Ball looked bad, got hurt... why on earth would he come back and bump Hillman out?

In a redraft league you would be crazy to hang on to him.

Week 4 BYE

Week 5 Hurt early.

Circumstance obviously doesnt matter to some.
You are making excuses. They have been in virtually identical circumstances against virtually identical competition. Each had two home games and one road game and they have 64 and 63 touches respectively. Hillman has been objectively better.

What data do you have to support the notion that Hillman is getting better blocking, from the same 10 guys who weren't getting it done for Ball? What data do you have to discount the possibility that Hillman sees the hole develop earlier and hits it quicker than Ball?

Again I think Ball gets his job back, and I definitely see him as the goal line guy, but it seems highly unlikely that he will see the same % of RB touches he had previously seen and I think it is likely that Denver would be quicker to give Hillman the larger share of RB touches in any particular game if he is performing markedly better.

Users who are viewing this thread