What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coward fatally ambushes 2 NYPD, commits suicide (2 Viewers)

It's about time this stuff started coming out. Get it all out there in the open. Root out the bad apples, provide better training, create a safe haven for whistle-blowers, and have something good come out of all this.
:goodposting: sadly both of those articles are old.

It's about time this stuff started coming out. Get it all out there in the open. Root out the bad apples, provide better training, create a safe haven for whistle-blowers, and have something good come out of all this.
:goodposting: sadly both of those articles are old.
Pinky, I'll point out a couple things in those articles:

• Didn't DeBlasio eliminate Stop & Frisk?
  • In one there is a cop who is a whistleblower, that's important. There's a good cop in that story. Behind that cop there must be a a good US Attorney. Does NYC have a reliable US Attorney who is prosecuting local corruption and civil rights violations?
  • In the other you have a cop who was caught trying to inflate arrest and conviction numbers. - Does NYC have an Inspector General or a Police Monitor?
  • Manipulation of crime and arrest data is a pretty common issue in a lot of cities. Are local bloggers and civic activists asking for arrest data via public records requests? Do you have online mapping so that you have access to all arrests in NYC showing where they happen and all reported crimes?

Last edited by a moderator:
A Sea of Blue, Mourning the First of Two Slain Comrades At Funeral for Officer Rafael Ramos, Police Department’s Solidarity Is on DisplayThe broad Queens avenue began filling with blue coats early. The footsteps of the saddened officers, the buzz of police talk, fed the medley of sounds of an apprehensive city shaking itself awake.

The temperature was generous for the season. Christmas decorations bedecked doorways and windows, clashing with the morning’s solemn event: the funeral of a police officer whose barbaric death has sliced deep into the city’s conscience and tested its character.

On Saturday, one week removed from the slayings, the city wept for an officer, Rafael Ramos, N.Y.P.D. Shield No. 6335, who was murdered Dec. 20 along with another officer for their choice of occupation.

The turnout was extraordinary. Though no reliable count was made, it appeared that more than 20,000 police officers came to Queens, from as far away as Wisconsin and California and England, some driving through the night to make it. Bordering streets were shut to traffic for blocks around. Traffic lights continued to change their colors, but there was no traffic, nothing but thick rows of police officers as far as anyone could see. ...
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/28/nyregion/funeral-for-slain-nypd-officer-rafael-ramos.html?_r=0

What a tremendous show of support from across the country. Unfortunately the AlSharptons have tried to make a national issue out of isolated incidents in different places, and if that's how they're being attacked then that is how they will support each other. Apparently this was quite a moving, proud and tremendously sad event.
Now imagine these folks were black:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/two-men-shoot-up-walmart-threaten-customers-with-bb-gun-arent-shot-by-police-for-some-reason/

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/12/28/tennessee-woman-body-armor-shoots-suburban-neighborhood.html
This is just so ####ed up. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/video-shows-police-shot-ohio-man-on-sight-as-he-leaned-on-toy-gun-in-walmart-attorney-says/

They interrogated his girlfriend for 90 minutes before telling her that he was dead.

:wall:

Transcript of portion of her interrogation:

In the interrogation video, which was first posted on The Guardian's website on Sunday, a police detective repeatedly presses Crawford's tearful girlfriend, asking her where Crawford got the gun he had in the store.

"You understand that we're investigating a serious incident," Detective Rodney Curd says. "You lie to me and you might be on your way to jail."

"I swear to God, on my job, my family, on everything I love," Tasha Thomas replies, telling the detective repeatedly that she never saw Crawford with a weapon and that she'll take a polygraph test to prove it.

As she cries, the detective appears unconvinced.

"Why would he have a gun in the store?" he asks.

"I don't know," she replies.

"Did he carry a gun?" the detective continues.

"Not that I. ... I've never known him to have a gun," she says.

Her response appears to upset the detective.

"Don't tell me, 'not that you know,' because that's the first thing that I realize that somebody's not telling me the truth, when they say that kind of stuff," Curd says.

At one point in the video, Thomas sobs as she buries her head in her hands.

The detective says he'll write down her testimony but then asks whether she's under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

"Your eyes are kind of messed up looking and you seem a little lethargic at times," he says, "and I don't know if it's because you're upset or not. I just want to make sure what's going on."

It's not until the end of the 90-minute interrogation that Thomas learns her boyfriend has died.

"Well, to let you know, John has passed away as a result of this," the detective says.

Thomas sinks back in her chair and puts her hands on her head.

"I don't know any other way to tell you," Curd says. "What happened there wasn't a good thing and as a result of his actions, he is gone."

Report: Gun Deaths Of Officers Jump 56 Percent

CBS; December 30, 2014

WASHINGTON — The number of law enforcement officers killed by firearms in the U.S. jumped by 56 percent this year and included 15 ambush assaults, according to a report released Tuesday.

The annual report by the nonprofit National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund found that 50 officers were killed by guns this year, compared to 32 in 2013.

In all, the report found that 126 federal, local, tribal and territorial officers were killed in the line of duty in 2014. That’s a 24 percent jump from last year’s 102 on-duty deaths. Shootings were the leading cause of officer deaths in 2014 followed by traffic-related fatalities, at 49.

The sharp increase in gun-related deaths among officers followed a dramatic dip in 2013, when the figure fell to levels not seen since the 19th century. This year’s uptick comes amid increased tension between police and the public following the high-profile deaths of unarmed black men by white police officers, including that of Eric Garner in New York and Mike Brown in Ferguson, Missouri.

The states that saw the most officer deaths were California, at 14, Texas, at 11, and New York, at nine. Florida followed with six deaths, and Georgia had five, according to the report.

The 15 ambush assaults on police officers this year compares to just five in 2013, but matched 2012 for the highest total since 1995, the report said.

“With the increasing number of ambush-style attacks against our officers, I am deeply concerned that a growing anti-government sentiment in America is influencing weak-minded individuals to launch violent assaults against the men and women working to enforce our laws and keep our nation safe,” said Craig Floyd, chairman and CEO of the memorial fund.

“Enough is enough,” he said in a statement. “We need to tone down the rhetoric and rally in support of law enforcement and against lawlessness.”

Among the ambush assaults were the fatal attacks on two police officers in New York City on Dec. 20. Officers Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos were gunned down in their patrol car by Ismaaiyl Brinsley after Brinsley had made threatening posts online, including a vow to put “wings on pigs” and references to the Garner and Brown cases.

After shooting the officers, Brinsley ran into a subway station and killed himself. Police said he was troubled and had shot and wounded an ex-girlfriend in Baltimore earlier that day.

CBS; December 30, 2014

WASHINGTON — The number of law enforcement officers killed by firearms in the U.S. jumped by 56 percent this year and included 15 ambush assaults, according to a report released Tuesday.

The annual report by the nonprofit National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund found that 50 officers were killed by guns this year, compared to 32 in 2013.

In all, the report found that 126 federal, local, tribal and territorial officers were killed in the line of duty in 2014. That’s a 24 percent jump from last year’s 102 on-duty deaths. Shootings were the leading cause of officer deaths in 2014 followed by traffic-related fatalities, at 49.

The sharp increase in gun-related deaths among officers followed a dramatic dip in 2013, when the figure fell to levels not seen since the 19th century. This year’s uptick comes amid increased tension between police and the public following the high-profile deaths of unarmed black men by white police officers, including that of Eric Garner in New York and Mike Brown in Ferguson, Missouri.

The states that saw the most officer deaths were California, at 14, Texas, at 11, and New York, at nine. Florida followed with six deaths, and Georgia had five, according to the report.

The 15 ambush assaults on police officers this year compares to just five in 2013, but matched 2012 for the highest total since 1995, the report said.

“With the increasing number of ambush-style attacks against our officers, I am deeply concerned that a growing anti-government sentiment in America is influencing weak-minded individuals to launch violent assaults against the men and women working to enforce our laws and keep our nation safe,” said Craig Floyd, chairman and CEO of the memorial fund.

“Enough is enough,” he said in a statement. “We need to tone down the rhetoric and rally in support of law enforcement and against lawlessness.”

Among the ambush assaults were the fatal attacks on two police officers in New York City on Dec. 20. Officers Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos were gunned down in their patrol car by Ismaaiyl Brinsley after Brinsley had made threatening posts online, including a vow to put “wings on pigs” and references to the Garner and Brown cases.

After shooting the officers, Brinsley ran into a subway station and killed himself. Police said he was troubled and had shot and wounded an ex-girlfriend in Baltimore earlier that day.
I would love to compare that against national stats for how many people cops have killed. but it seems like it is taboo to collect these stats. I have heard there is basically no good source of compiled data for killings by cop.

I'm against all if them by the way.

Extremism and propaganda by our media lead to this crap. I'm looking at you, Fox, Drudge, MSNBC, Blogoverse.

CBS; December 30, 2014

I would love to compare that against national stats for how many people cops have killed. but it seems like it is taboo to collect these stats. I have heard there is basically no good source of compiled data for killings by cop.

I'm against all if them by the way.

Extremism and propaganda by our media lead to this crap. I'm looking at you, Fox, Drudge, MSNBC, Blogoverse.
More Than 1,000 People Have Been Killed by Police in 2014Reason

There are no frills to be found at www.killedbypolice.net. The site is just a simple spreadsheet. The information it contains, though, is invaluable. It is a list of every single person documented to have been killed by police in the United States in 2013 and 2014. There are links to a media report for every single death, as well as their names, ages, and when known, sex and race.

The site is so valuable because, as we’ve noted previously, there is no reliable national database for keeping track of the number of people killed by police each year. The FBI tracks homicides by law enforcement officers, but participation is voluntary, and many agencies don’t participate. As I noted last week, Eric Garner’s death at the hands of a New York Police Department won’t show up in the FBI’s statistics for 2014 because the state of New York does not participate in the program.

The FBI’s statistics for 2013 say that law enforcement officers killed 461 people that year. Killedbypolice.net apparently got its start last year. Using their system of monitoring by news report, they have calculated that police actually killed 748 people between May and December. That’s 287 more than the FBI reports for the whole year.

And for 2014, which still has a couple of weeks left, the site has reported 1,029 people have been killed by police. That’s about a 30 percent increase over last year, though with four-month gap at the start of 2013 (measuring 25 percent of the year), it's possible the numbers would be much closer if we had January through April. Even with the FBI’s broken numbers, we know that 2013 marked a two-decade high in killings by police.

Neither the site nor its Facebook page indicates who is responsible for compiling this information, and they’re protecting their identity by hosting the site through GoDaddy. We can’t talk to whoever is responsible for this database about how or why they started it and how much effort it is to keep track of this information. Here is a page for people to submit information to help improve the quality of the database.

killedbypolice.net

New York Times sides with de Blasio in an editorial:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/30/opinion/police-respect-squandered-in-attacks-on-de-blasio.html?_r=1

Mayor Bill de Blasio has spent weeks expressing his respect and admiration for the New York Police Department, while calling for unity in these difficult days, but the message doesnt seem to be sinking in.

When he spoke at a police graduation ceremony at Madison Square Garden on Monday, some in the crowd booed and heckled him. This followed the mass back-turning by scores of officers when the mayor spoke on Saturday at the funeral of Officer Rafael Ramos; the virtual back-turning the day before by an airplane-towed banner (Our backs have turned to you), and the original spiteful gesture by officers on the night Mr. de Blasio visited the hospital where Officer Ramos and his partner, Wenjian Liu, lay dead.

Mr. de Blasio isnt going to say it, but somebody has to: With these acts of passive-aggressive contempt and self-pity, many New York police officers, led by their union, are squandering the departments credibility, defacing its reputation, shredding its hard-earned respect. They have taken the most grave and solemn of civic moments a funeral of a fallen colleague and hijacked it for their own petty look-at-us gesture. In doing so, they also turned their backs on Mr. Ramoss widow and her two young sons, and others in that grief-struck family.

These are disgraceful acts, which will be compounded if anyone repeats the stunt at Officer Lius funeral on Sunday.

Stay Classy vs. Stay Safe

The percent of the drop off in arrests and tickets being so high is surprising, but the fact that there is a drop off is not surprising at all since the police essentially admitted days ago that they were switching protocol to emphasize officer safety.

A flurry of notices by police union leaders stopped short of urging members not to respond to calls for help, but prescribed steps for putting their own safety first, whether that created a deployment problem for commanders or not. The changes could reverse two decades of policing conceived by Mr. Bratton in his first stint as city police commissioner, and push the force into a reactive mode.

“Make sure officers are backing each other up at all radio runs,” wrote Lou Turco, president of the Lieutenant’s Benevolent Association. “Your main job is to ensure the safety of yourselves and your officers.” (NYT, December 21, 2014)

The percent of the drop off in arrests and tickets being so high is surprising, but the fact that there is a drop off is not surprising at all since the police essentially admitted days ago that they were switching protocol to emphasize officer safety.

A flurry of notices by police union leaders stopped short of urging members not to respond to calls for help, but prescribed steps for putting their own safety first, whether that created a deployment problem for commanders or not. The changes could reverse two decades of policing conceived by Mr. Bratton in his first stint as city police commissioner, and push the force into a reactive mode.

“Make sure officers are backing each other up at all radio runs,” wrote Lou Turco, president of the Lieutenant’s Benevolent Association. “Your main job is to ensure the safety of yourselves and your officers.” (NYT, December 21, 2014)
Jesus, that's appalling.

If you're unwilling to serve the public if it means putting yourself in danger, you have no business collecting a paycheck for law enforcement or being authorized by the state to use force. If that means we have to raise police pay in order to attract people who are brave and noble enough to do the job properly, great. I'd be happy to pay more taxes if it means having cops who actually do their jobs. Everyone else can do a great job of ensuring their own safety at home.

So they just don't do their jobs? Just ridiculous, but par for the course. As an NYC resident paying for these people's salaries, I expect more.

I agree with the NY Times, whatever respect and goodwill they had generated up until last week has been unceremoniously flushed.

2 Boston police officers attacked by teenagers

AP; December 30, 2014

BOSTON (AP) — Two Boston police officers were hospitalized after they were attacked by six teenagers related to a person they were arresting, authorities said Tuesday.

Boston Police Commissioner William Evans said the officers, a woman and a man, were "pretty banged up" in Monday's attack but recovering. Both were treated for undisclosed injuries and have been released from the hospital. Their names have not been made public.

Mayor Martin Walsh said he does not believe the assault has anything to do with rising national tensions over police conduct following the killings of unarmed men in Missouri and New York City. Evans agreed but added: "It's troubling to me that all this animosity is geared toward our department because we work our hardest every day to make sure the streets of Boston are as safe as possible."

Evans said the officers went to an apartment in the city's Roxbury neighborhood Monday morning to serve a warrant on a 19-year-old man for defaulting on court appearances. Seven people were arrested in all, including the person police were originally seeking. He was identified by the district attorney's office as Woobenson Morisset.

Morisset and 18-year-old Lorcen Morisset, who is accused of participating in the attack, were scheduled for arraignment Tuesday. It wasn't known if either one has a lawyer.

The other teens, a 17-year-old boy and girls ages 13, 14, 15, and 16, face assault and battery on a police officer, resisting arrest and other delinquency charges. In juvenile court Tuesday, a judge set bail at $500 for the 17-year-old and $1 for the younger teens, with that amount to be posted only by their parents. The next court date for all five teens, who live in Dorchester, is Feb. 12.

Police say Woobenson Morisset attacked the two officers when they confronted him in a rear stairwell.

The officers were about to handcuff Morisset when the other teens came to his aid and "kicked, punched, and choked" the officers. The officers used pepper spray to fight off the attackers until other officers arrived, but they never drew their guns.

Evans said he expected the officers would be out of work for some time. "It (the attack) stresses the dangers of our job everyday going into situations never knowing what will happen," he said.

Jesus, that's appalling.

If you're unwilling to serve the public if it means putting yourself in danger, you have no business collecting a paycheck for law enforcement or being authorized by the state to use force. If that means we have to raise police pay in order to attract people who are brave and noble enough to do the job properly, great. I'd be happy to pay more taxes if it means having cops who actually do their jobs. Everyone else can do a great job of ensuring their own safety at home.
You arrogant, entitled son of a #####.

"Die for me because I pay you to."

Jesus, that's appalling.

Interesting. Just how far should/could the NYPD dial it back before someone says something? Zero arrests/citations?

They are paid to serve and protect and are armed to do so. If they don't do their job who will? Batman?

Jesus, that's appalling.

That an unfair and terrible paraphrase of what I wrote.

I'd clarify my point if you seemed open-minded enough to consider it, but I suspect you'd just disregard it and pretend I said something completely different so you could call me names. Grow up.

Isnt this what you have been clamoring for tobias? Reduced arrests?
Huh?
Didn't you and I have a discussion along this very same line in the looting thread? Didn't you feel that cops basically take on the role of adversary to the people and that we all speed, let our plates expire, and drive in bike lanes so the cops shouldn't pull people over for that stuff? That city revenues were too dependent on these fines that were unfairly given to black people?

I admit I don't have a good notebook and I may just be jumping to conclusions because you do seem like the most likely candidate to present such an argument. If that is a false assumption I apologize.

Huh?
Didn't you and I have a discussion along this very same line in the looting thread? Didn't you feel that cops basically take on the role of adversary to the people and that we all speed, let our plates expire, and drive in bike lanes so the cops shouldn't pull people over for that stuff? That city revenues were too dependent on these fines that were unfairly given to black people?

I admit I don't have a good notebook and I may just be jumping to conclusions because you do seem like the most likely candidate to present such an argument. If that is a false assumption I apologize.
I'm thinking that you are being just a tad disingenuous here. If that is a false assumption, I apologize.

Huh?

I'm thinking that you are being just a tad disingenuous here. If that is a false assumption, I apologize.
Apology accepted.

Huh?

Apology accepted.
Not buying it. You know that we're not talking about tickets for chewing gum in public and the like. We are talking about police responses to real- perhaps life and death- issues being compromised.

Not buying it. You know that we're not talking about tickets for chewing gum in public and the like. We are talking about police responses to real- perhaps life and death- issues being compromised.
Not buying what exactly? If you look at the %s that were released (which btw are an incredibly small snapshot) the minor citations that you mention are what are down the biggest %. Drug arrests were down 84% That is all that was released other than overall arrests being down 66%. Seems logical to conclude that the major arrests were down less significant %s.

Not buying what exactly? If you look at the %s that were released (which btw are an incredibly small snapshot) the minor citations that you mention are what are down the biggest %. Drug arrests were down 84% That is all that was released other than overall arrests being down 66%. Seems logical to conclude that the major arrests were down less significant %s.
Post quoted traffic stops and disorderly conduct citations both down 94%

I think major crime wouldn't be ignored, but the broken windows approach is shelved for the moment.

Post quoted traffic stops and disorderly conduct citations both down 94%

I think major crime wouldn't be ignored, but the broken windows approach is shelved for the moment.
Tons of arrests stem from traffic stops too. Seems likely that this would lead to a huge reduction.

Those that have argued that the police have been militarized and taken an adversarial role should be welcoming this new approach. It would be hypocritical to oppose it now, no?

Tons of arrests stem from traffic stops too. Seems likely that this would lead to a huge reduction.

Those that have argued that the police have been militarized and taken an adversarial role should be welcoming this new approach. It would be hypocritical to oppose it now, no?
I'd be fine with this approach if:

A) It didn't seem really likely that the broken windows approach was a catalyst for the revitalization of NYC

2) This was a distinct shift in policy instead of a reactionary move by the police

d) If the mayor, the police and the city council were all on the same page

It's a tragedy what happened and I think the shooting was motivated by the protests, but there has not been a repeat and I can't draw a pattern from one instance. The last national police ambush story was the diaper sniper and wasn't the one before that the two nuts in Vegas? I don't think crazy discriminates.

I think de Blasio stepped in it majorly, but the behavior of the union leaders strikes me as petty. I can't blame the rank-and-file police officer because they are beholden to the union. Hopefully cooler heads prevail because I do not want to see NYC go back to what it was in the 80s.

CBS; December 30, 2014

Thanks for posting that. I found another article which provides some historical numbers to provide some perspective. http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014/12/30/Law-enforcement-deaths-up-24-percent-in-2014-in-US/7431419953675/

The number of U.S. law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty rose 24 percent in 2014 to 126, a report released Tuesday said.

The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund in a preliminary report said that 50 of those officers died from gun shots, up 56 percent from the 32 firearms deaths in 2013. But the number was still below the average of 53 a year in the decade between 2000 and 2009 and below the 1970s, when an average of 127 police officers were fatally shot every year with firearms deaths peaking at 156 in 1973.

More Than 1,000 People Have Been Killed by Police in 2014Reason

There are no frills to be found at www.killedbypolice.net. The site is just a simple spreadsheet. The information it contains, though, is invaluable. It is a list of every single person documented to have been killed by police in the United States in 2013 and 2014. There are links to a media report for every single death, as well as their names, ages, and when known, sex and race.

The site is so valuable because, as we’ve noted previously, there is no reliable national database for keeping track of the number of people killed by police each year. The FBI tracks homicides by law enforcement officers, but participation is voluntary, and many agencies don’t participate. As I noted last week, Eric Garner’s death at the hands of a New York Police Department won’t show up in the FBI’s statistics for 2014 because the state of New York does not participate in the program.

The FBI’s statistics for 2013 say that law enforcement officers killed 461 people that year. Killedbypolice.net apparently got its start last year. Using their system of monitoring by news report, they have calculated that police actually killed 748 people between May and December. That’s 287 more than the FBI reports for the whole year.

And for 2014, which still has a couple of weeks left, the site has reported 1,029 people have been killed by police. That’s about a 30 percent increase over last year, though with four-month gap at the start of 2013 (measuring 25 percent of the year), it's possible the numbers would be much closer if we had January through April. Even with the FBI’s broken numbers, we know that 2013 marked a two-decade high in killings by police.

Neither the site nor its Facebook page indicates who is responsible for compiling this information, and they’re protecting their identity by hosting the site through GoDaddy. We can’t talk to whoever is responsible for this database about how or why they started it and how much effort it is to keep track of this information. Here is a page for people to submit information to help improve the quality of the database.

killedbypolice.net
Thanks for posting that as well.

So... refresh my memory.... what exactly doe these allegations have to do with the brutal assassination of two good police officers who were helping their community, which is what this thread is about?

So... refresh my memory.... what exactly doe these allegations have to do with the brutal assassination of two good police officers who were helping their community, which is what this thread is about?
What did this have to do with the two good police officers who were helping their community?

Annnd I am going to ask a question that will be scoffed at but who cares because the truth is the truth right? This is the video posted above showing the whole context of the 'til the killer cops are in a jail cell' chant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4tbMdoL6UI&feature=youtu.be

At ~1:28-1:34 there is a man in a red outfit and a red flag.

What does the red flag and his wearing of those colors signify? Anyone?

What did this have to do with the two good police officers who were helping their community?

Annnd I am going to ask a question that will be scoffed at but who cares because the truth is the truth right? This is the video posted above showing the whole context of the 'til the killer cops are in a jail cell' chant:

That had to do with the nature of the protests and whether the person who killed Liu and Ramos was typical of the general mass of proetstors. I believe we ultimately fairly concluded he was not, but that there were extremists on the outside of the protest who were of a like mindset.

What's the point here then? That the protestors have a point? Yes, we know that but it has no relationship to the man who killed Ramos and Liu. Does it?

That had to do with the nature of the protests and whether the person who killed Liu and Ramos was typical of the general mass of proetstors. I believe we ultimately fairly concluded he was not, but that there were extremists on the outside of the protest who were of a like mindset.

What's the point here then? That the protestors have a point? Yes, we know that but it has no relationship to the man who killed Ramos and Liu. Does it?
Since page one you've been using 2 dead police officers, who shouldn't be dead, as a platform to blast protestors you don't like. You've brought in numerous extraneous links to do so. Nobody stopped you.

Now when somebody is posting something you don't like you suddenly become topic monitor? Stop being such a ####### hypocrite.

Matt Binder ‏@MattBinder ·

complete list of groups who stage protests at funerals:

- Westboro Baptist Church

- New York Police Department
The cops weren't protesting the funeral.
Neither does the Westboro Church.
But the anti-police protestors were (ie the first funeral).
What first funeral?
But the scene outside Woodhull Hospital wasn't entirely supportive. "You're a bunch of killers," a passerby told cops standing sentry there, according to one police source. And short distance from the crime scene—where a crowd was backed up by the police tape—a few members of the crowd repeated "f___ the cops" within earshot of a Daily Beast reporter.

One 30-year-old local who gave his first name only as Carlos, didn’t hear the fatal gunfire but saw the hysteria aftewards and walked to the police tape.

“A lot of people were clapping and laughing,” he said.

“Some were saying, ‘They deserved it,’ and another was shouting at the cops, ‘Serves them right because you mistreat people!’” he said.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/20/sick-cheers-for-cop-killer-in-brooklyn.html

There is that, as an example.

But I was thinking I recalled a post here about protestors chanting anti-cop slogans at a reporter outside the Ramos funeral. No, no link for that right now.

What first funeral?
But the scene outside Woodhull Hospital wasn't entirely supportive. "You're a bunch of killers," a passerby told cops standing sentry there, according to one police source. And short distance from the crime scenewhere a crowd was backed up by the police tapea few members of the crowd repeated "f___ the cops" within earshot of a Daily Beast reporter.

One 30-year-old local who gave his first name only as Carlos, didnt hear the fatal gunfire but saw the hysteria aftewards and walked to the police tape.

A lot of people were clapping and laughing, he said.

Some were saying, They deserved it, and another was shouting at the cops, Serves them right because you mistreat people! he said.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/20/sick-cheers-for-cop-killer-in-brooklyn.html

But I was thinking I recalled a post here about protestors chanting anti-cop slogans at a reporter outside the Ramos funeral. No, no link for that right now.
Where is the first funeral protests you referred to? Still waiting.

squistion said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
squistion said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:

What first funeral?
But the scene outside Woodhull Hospital wasn't entirely supportive. "You're a bunch of killers," a passerby told cops standing sentry there, according to one police source. And short distance from the crime scenewhere a crowd was backed up by the police tapea few members of the crowd repeated "f___ the cops" within earshot of a Daily Beast reporter.

One 30-year-old local who gave his first name only as Carlos, didnt hear the fatal gunfire but saw the hysteria aftewards and walked to the police tape.

Some were saying, They deserved it, and another was shouting at the cops, Serves them right because you mistreat people! he said.

Ok this is it.

Which links to this.

A CNN correspondent at the makeshift memorial to slain NYPD Officers Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos reported seeing a small group of protesters heckling police officers who were there to pay their respects.
So that's there was anti-police rhetoric at the crime scene, at the hospital where they died, and at the memorial... but not at a funeral.

squistion said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
squistion said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:

What first funeral?

Ok this is it.

Which links to this.

A CNN correspondent at the makeshift memorial to slain NYPD Officers Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos reported seeing a small group of protesters heckling police officers who were there to pay their respects.
So that's there was anti-police rhetoric at the crime, scene, at the hospital where they died, and at the memorial... but not at a funeral. You were right, that's so much better!
You really should be ashamed of yourself.

I'm not saying someone should be able to punch him in the face or that what the cop did was right, but he wasn't just dancing. Even before the part with the cop, you have to see how someone could be suspicious of this guy. If he was just dancing that would be one thing but he does it behind people's backs and as soon as they notice him, he stops. That's not suspicious? How would I know if he isn't trying to grab my wallet? How does the cop know if he's not trying to grab his gun?

And the cop doesn't exactly throw him to the ground. He pushed him away and the guy fell down. Doesn't justify but it wasn't like it was a takedown.

He got off easy, imo.

Huh?

This was not the argument.

I argued (or really just posted hard evidence detailed in a lengthy article) that some police departments in smaller towns depend too heavily on such revenue and by doing so targeted the black community unfairly both through discriminatory enforcement and because these sorts of petty crimes are committed in large part by the poor, which in these places usually meant the black community. It was presented as a problem without a simple solution; I didn't just propose that they stop enforcing those laws. And in any event, that was a problem in small towns who were being forced to find revenue because of their small tax base. That's not really a problem with the NYPD, which last time I checked policed a kind of large town.

That's also really just a small part of the problem with what the NYPD is doing. If they were paring back on traffic stops and other petty crimes simply due to budget problems I'd be fine with it. The problem is that they're doing it partly out of spite and partly because they're allocating their resources to fight what they view as a war against the people they're sworn to serve and protect.

Users who are viewing this thread